Vampire or Cyborg?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Vampire or Cyborg?

Post by p5ychic » Wed 29th Sep 2010

Okay, so this comes from a discussion on io9. Who would it be easier to bring home to your family: A vampire boyfriend/girlfriend or a cyborg boyfriend/girlfriend? (I'm including robots with human intelligence under the category of "cyborg," just for the sake of argument.)

I mean, my parents would probably be pretty accepting of me having a vampire girlfriend, if a little worried about blood loss. They wouldn't be surprised if I had a cyborg/robot girlfriend, though. It would probably be easier to introduce them to a cyborg.

Thoughts? It really varies on a family-to-family basis, what would your family think?

Alanna
Lady Random

Re: Vampire or Cyborg?

Post by Alanna » Thu 30th Sep 2010

Mum would shoo a vampire out the house, she'd be ok with a cyborg human if he looked 'hot enough' (my mum is very unusual). Robots would be an instant no like the vampire... dad would just be ashamed XD
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Thu 30th Sep 2010

Alanna-Lena Zelen wrote:Mum would shoo a vampire out the house, she'd be ok with a cyborg human if he looked 'hot enough' (my mum is very unusual). Robots would be an instant no like the vampire... dad would just be ashamed XD
Why, though? I would have almost no problem with my kids dating vampires, provided they were good people and they were careful about blood loss. I have no idea why a robot would be a no.

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Thu 30th Sep 2010

Its because of my mum's personality. She'd wonder what the hell is so appealing about something that's not really alive. That and it would be odd since I don't like vampires personally. Dad is a man that is easily made envious of anything I'd date.
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Thu 30th Sep 2010

Alanna-Lena Zelen wrote:Its because of my mum's personality. She'd wonder what the hell is so appealing about something that's not really alive. That and it would be odd since I don't like vampires personally. Dad is a man that is easily made envious of anything I'd date.
Yea, but what if he was a sentient robot, like Data on Star Trek? He was a robot, but there's no arguing that he wasn't alive. He was even given full citizenship.

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Fri 1st Oct 2010

Weirdest debate.

ever.

xD

My parents would flip if I brought in a vampire, I mean, seriously. undead creatures that have to resist the urge to suck out your blood?

and are we talking abotu traditional vampires or twilight vamps? They'd be happier if my hubby didn't explode in teh sunlight, but idk if I'd wanna be around a sparlking boy anyways xD

Robot would be alright-ish. I can't imagine being attracted to them, the idea seems kinda creepy, but ya know.. *shrug* idk xD it wouldn't be as bad as a vampire, in my house at least.

xox Miss Livia xox
Queen of Wonderland

Post by xox Miss Livia xox » Fri 1st Oct 2010

Werewolf.
:D
Just to bring some "bite" in.
Eh? Eh? Get it?
xD
I'm tired, don't judge me -_-
"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say, "No, this is who I am". You want people to look at you differently? Make them! You want to change things, you're gonna have to go out there and change them yourself, because there are no fairy godmothers in this world." - Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time.
Welcome aboard, lads and lasses. Let's see what adventures await us...

Join me:
~My Art page~|~My facebook ~|

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Fri 1st Oct 2010

I think my parents would be more okay with a vampire... they might be kinda weirded out by me liking a machine :? And I have a feeling they'd be pretty accepting of a vampire, as long as he was a good guy.
online more often than you probably assume
tumblr & ao3

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Fri 1st Oct 2010

P5YCHIC wrote:
Alanna-Lena Zelen wrote:Its because of my mum's personality. She'd wonder what the hell is so appealing about something that's not really alive. That and it would be odd since I don't like vampires personally. Dad is a man that is easily made envious of anything I'd date.
Yea, but what if he was a sentient robot, like Data on Star Trek? He was a robot, but there's no arguing that he wasn't alive. He was even given full citizenship.
Still, there's the issue of my grandfather that will come in at that point. My grandfather is technologically challenged, and anything electronic would have some trouble surviving around him. (for the record, my grandfather lives up the road) He might be able to deal with it if said boyfreind was a good mechanic and would fix his truck.

Duck With No Name
LEP Commander

Post by Duck With No Name » Fri 1st Oct 2010

My mum's very anti-vampire because of the whole "you can get diseases by sucking people's blood" thing XD but she might just think that I'm a bit weird if I bought home a cyborg. However, if the cyborg could cook and clean, she'd probably be OK with it! XD

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Fri 1st Oct 2010

Duck With No Name wrote:My mum's very anti-vampire because of the whole "you can get diseases by sucking people's blood" thing XD but she might just think that I'm a bit weird if I bought home a cyborg. However, if the cyborg could cook and clean, she'd probably be OK with it! XD
Vampires can't get diseases. I mean, on "True Blood," they can get something called "Hepatitis D" which only affects vampires, but a human can only be a carrier if they catch it from another vampire. And you can't get diseases from them because their bodies aren't warm enough to support harmful bacteria or viruses.

As for those people whose parents would think it's weird to date a machine, keep in mind that it's still a person with a mind, feelings, and personality. And keep in mind that they would look sort of like a human (I'm not suggesting you bring home a roomba), even almost entirely like one like Data. Plus, they'd be able to do everything a human can do, they just happen to be robotic.

(Also, keep in mind that the human body IS a machine. Almost all of the joints fit the definition of a lever, the systems of the body all serve a specific function, the brain does the same thing as a computer, the only difference between us and a robot is that we're a machine made of meat and bone while they're made of metal and latex. (For more information see: Bicentennial Man.)

faerimagic
Centaur Genius
Location: Drawing away the whole day...and missing dinner... *stomach growls*

Post by faerimagic » Fri 1st Oct 2010

I would like a vampire, because it's alive.
Though my mom would probably prefer me to go out with a cyborg, cuz then she could threaten me to do the stuff I hate.
"You clean your room, or I delete that robot's MEMORY! Mwahahahaha..."
"You stop laughing like that, and then I will."
Something like that.

She's probably not ready for me to go out anyways.
On second thought, maybe I'd take the cyborg. I'm not ready either. (Though I wouldn't go as far as deleting his memory...)
ImageImageImageImageImage

In order of appearence is Dreads, Belle, Phalaka, Tamakiko, and Harmonia.
I was bored, so I wrote descriptions for all of them. Just scroll down each of their pages to see their random histories.
Team Holly.

Sig made by the awesome FowlStar. :D

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Sat 2nd Oct 2010

Umm.... I'd say a vampire. Despite the obvious issues (bloodsucking, exploding/sparkling in the sun depending what kind of vamp we're talking about here and stuff like that), my parents would be (relatively) okay with that.
Being attracted to a cyborg just seems weird to me... seeing as like... it's metal... and... not technically alive... and... yeah...
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sat 2nd Oct 2010

HollyShort9 wrote:Umm.... I'd say a vampire. Despite the obvious issues (bloodsucking, exploding/sparkling in the sun depending what kind of vamp we're talking about here and stuff like that), my parents would be (relatively) okay with that.
Being attracted to a cyborg just seems weird to me... seeing as like... it's metal... and... not technically alive... and... yeah...
Just to clarify, a Cyborg is a person. Like, a live person made of meat like your dad or your teacher. They just have one or more mechanical parts that help keep them alive. Iron Man is a perfect example. Tony Stark is a normal guy, he just happens to have a nuclear heart. Anakin Skywalker is a cyborg too, he's a human who has robot limbs. Or Inspector Gadget!

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Sat 2nd Oct 2010

Honestly, I'd love a cyborg boyfriend :D He'd be the only option that wouldn't end in any type of problem with my family, any branch of it (expert some jealousy issues XD)