Putting to Sleep in Animal Shelters

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
faerimagic
Centaur Genius
Location: Drawing away the whole day...and missing dinner... *stomach growls*

Putting to Sleep in Animal Shelters

Post by faerimagic » Tue 24th Aug 2010

They say that it is humane to put animals to sleep.
People do this a lot in emergency medical scenarios. Sad, but it saves the animal a lot of pain.
This is not what this thread is about.
There are few no-kill animal shelters.
What I'm talking about is that sometimes, animal shelters get so crowded, they have to put animals to sleep. Because they don't have enough room.
And this is what irks me. That we are able to take an animal's life into our own hands and end it.
The animal has no say in the matter.
And WHY did we end it?
We didn't have enough ROOM.
This reason seems so petty to me. Someone (NOT something) had to die to free up a little space.
I don't have a solution to this problem right now. Maybe you do.
What are your thoughts on this topic?
ImageImageImageImageImage

In order of appearence is Dreads, Belle, Phalaka, Tamakiko, and Harmonia.
I was bored, so I wrote descriptions for all of them. Just scroll down each of their pages to see their random histories.
Team Holly.

Sig made by the awesome FowlStar. :D

Green
Gnome

Re: Putting to Sleep in Animal Shelters

Post by Green » Mon 6th Sep 2010

I do agree with puting animals to sleep im not saying it's all good and no bad but think would you want to spend most of your life in an over croweded shelter where due to budget issues and room issues your forced to spend most of your time in a croweded cage where you don't get enoph food almost never get walked and if you get sick (which is likely in a room full of animals) probobly won't get proper medical treatment It's certinly a last resort thing but inless inhumane treatment is to be incorperated a shelter has to stay under a certain limit of animals.
If my Thoughts spoke words aloud
You would all have Headaches now to

ImageImageImageImage

Beckett Simpleton
Troll

Post by Beckett Simpleton » Sun 12th Sep 2010

Putting animals to sleep, justified. Putting animals to sleep when you wouldn't put a human to sleep, unjustified.

Calling murder 'being put to sleep,' aslo unjustified.

Technically, it's murder. If you don't have room, shift it to another shelter. Forgoodness sake, when you put the injection in say a dog, like my little clvilire king charls spaniel Harvey, it's never going to see whom it respects again, or have it's nails trimmed, go to the park, get brushed, be called smelly, have a bath, have puppies, go to sleep on your bed, steal your socks, rip up your home work, chew the teliphone lines, eat all your food out the bin, bark, howl, snore, sinff...

(this is making me cry)

I think animals should be treated as individuals. We should call them by there names, and use person nouns, not 'it' and 'that.' it's a he, a she. It has feelings too you know. And that animal knows what's happening, and knows your killing it, and was it's last thought, 'for the best' or 'i knew humans were as bad as thir hairdos.'

Sorry, had to do the humor, the seriousness was killing me ;)
Fairies. Something about... Fairies...

return of 1 min go
Dwarf Thief
Location: Crying at the poor onions that are being chopped to pieces.

Post by return of 1 min go » Sun 26th Sep 2010

anmales should only be put to sleep if there destined to die in pain
Image Image & thx mira :Dthx fs
and thx to any1 els who makes me a pic :)
dwnn,jlh, silv and 1 beet teh cout to 50 befor a mod post game
i and mira got to 45.
my fg sis if JO & Mira :D! fg twin fs :P! and my cosion is haven!! we all rock :D!
9.5941% - Geekish Tendencies
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7798 my art viwe NOW!
p.s i hop[e this siggy isent too big :?

CaptainMiraKelp
LEPrecon Officer

Post by CaptainMiraKelp » Sun 26th Sep 2010

I agree with Return, if animals are gonna die painfully, they should be put to sleep, if not, no.
To solve a mystery, you sometimes need to take risks.

return of 1 min go
Dwarf Thief
Location: Crying at the poor onions that are being chopped to pieces.

Post by return of 1 min go » Sun 26th Sep 2010

yay someone finaly agress with me!!
Image Image & thx mira :Dthx fs
and thx to any1 els who makes me a pic :)
dwnn,jlh, silv and 1 beet teh cout to 50 befor a mod post game
i and mira got to 45.
my fg sis if JO & Mira :D! fg twin fs :P! and my cosion is haven!! we all rock :D!
9.5941% - Geekish Tendencies
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7798 my art viwe NOW!
p.s i hop[e this siggy isent too big :?

Shadow Light
LEPrecon Officer
Location: Extorting other hobos for croissants under the Eiffel tower

Post by Shadow Light » Sun 10th Oct 2010

if an animal has to live in a cramped up space for the rest of its life, hoping, just hoping that a loving person will stop and spot it in the vast sea of dogs, that is torture. That is to live in pain. To live on hope.

You say it's a petty reason, Faeri, if you run out of space, why not just build more? Build a larger space for the animals. That'll solve the problem. But why haven't they? Insufficient funds. The real estate market is crumbling. To build more, means financial needs. And even if you have managed to build a larger area, you have to think of the taxing that comes with larger properties and such. And this is what most shelters do not have. Do you think that SPCA loves to put these animals to sleep? It is a last resort. It is simply not within their means to do so as most shelters are non-government bodies who rely on the people. And at a time like this where the market is going down the drain, would there be a lot of people donating? I suppose the answer is not.

And if the place is overcrowded, would probably mean that they are going to have insufficient supplies of food. which will ultimately lead to a much more inhumane death for the animals.

Therefore, by debating standards, this house believes that animal euthanasia is for the better.
Don't ask me about my life, because if you do, I will tell you.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 11th Oct 2010

I've gotta agree with Sea on this one. I have always gotten animals from the shelter, yes, but if that poor animal is there for six months, what will it have left? It'll be crushed every time you see it walk away.

Then comes up a wonderful debate of animals having a lower ... humans are above all animals. That's exactly what people think when I debate with them. The fact is, do some people want to waist one million dollors on a couple of poorly treated animals? Or do they want to spend a million dollors on a new Wal-Mart in town, when there's K-Mart, Grand Union, and Lowes all side by side. Need I say the answer?

I do agree with ''animal euthanasia'' I think that's how he said it... yet I disagree somewhat. But many shelters lose money to Pet Shops for spoiled rotten fat dogs. (That's my experience with them...), also. You've got to think. Is it really worth it for a dog to spend four years locked in a gray room with dogs barking all around, seeing those dogs bark, or let them die peacefully, still possibly happily?
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~