Aithests and Christians - Truce be possible?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Aithests and Christians - Truce be possible?

Post by JLHxXxX » Fri 9th Jul 2010

I've seen this soooooooooo often, and it awoke me again in the latest debate.

Christians think aitheists are always bashing on them.

Aitheists feel that christians are always bashing on THEM.

Sure they're too different debates, and they cause different opinions, but sometimes the difference goes a bit too extreme. If I can have 99.89% of my friends as a christian and hardly ever argue, can't others do that?

Conversion is a very sneaky thing that a lot of aitheists and christians do. You don't even have to do it on purpose, but it annoys people easily. If people thought just a little more, couldn't aitheists live side by side with christians and vise versa? If you just respected each other a little more..

I know most of you are gonna call me crazy, and go ahead, but I think it's possible.

Let the debate/discussion begin!
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Re: Aithests and Christians - Truce be possible?

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Fri 9th Jul 2010

Welp, haffa a bunch of aithiest friends :D so I think its possible. However, I avoid the debate thread now because it stirs up unnecisary bad blood between the groups and no one ever changes their minds... I mean, I'm all for converting people, but some people work differently ya know? Sometimes talking to them about it is the best approuch, but sometimes talking to them just makes it worse, makes them hate you, so I just choose to give 'em space. :P it works for me cuz I can NOT fight with 'em, have fun with 'em, and still kinda be there if they ever WANT to talk about it.
(yes, I know I'm on a bad spelling spree xD deal)

A Passing Bookworm
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by A Passing Bookworm » Sat 10th Jul 2010

I don't see why not. I'm a free thinker, with Muslim, Taoist, Christian, Hindu and Buddhist friends. If we, from different religions get along, why can't the 'group' of Christians and Atheists get along?

But then, I realize one of my Christian friends have been trying to sorta convert me since I started taking Bible Knowledge lessons in school. I'm interested in all religion, and I didn't take it for any spiritual reason, but she's a devout Christian raised in a strictly Christian family, so I think she got it in her head that I should convert to Christianity. She is not racist, but she feels strongly about religion and may even be anti-antsiest. It's the way she's been brought up, though, and she's entitled to her own views, but this might be an example of why this truce might not be possible.
for a very important date!

codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer

Post by codeblackrose » Wed 21st Jul 2010

Maybe. Depends on who the people are. I don't mind Christians, but it kind of annoys me when they go all spiritual on me. I don't say anything to them, though, when they do that. I let them have their spiritual whatever moment, then we continue whatever we were doing before.

But I absolutely can't stand it when they use the bible to argue stuff. Like, let's say, why I should believe in God. It is seriously not a good idea to try and convince an atheist to believe in god by using the bible as an argument. Because, since atheists don't believe...

But otherwise it's okay, I guess. We get along fine, but mostly because the subject of religion doesn't come up often. When it does, though, I pretend to be invisible.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

Duck With No Name
LEP Commander

Post by Duck With No Name » Wed 21st Jul 2010

I think that it's possible to have a truce between atheists and Christians because there aren't really that many issues that come into every day life that depend on the morals/views of religion.

I'm an atheist and most of my friends (or maybe even all of them? :? -that I hang around with at lunchtime at any rate! XD) are Christian and we've debated topics such as "does God exist?" or "what's a soul and does it exist?" but it's never escalated into a huge issue that we argue over or anything because we don't really think about our religions every day and although I'm sure that religion does play an important role in our every day lives, it doesn't really pop up everywhere and make us feel the need to discuss it with people of opposing views often and as long as you don't argue about it every day then it should be fine! :D

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Wed 21st Jul 2010

But then you have my type of friends that go to a conversiion church.

If christianity is even mentioned they go into full convert mode. (K and E mainly). I know they can get along, me and Mo are sisters yet we're opposite religions. Unlike our other friends, if our discussions get into religious reasons or views, we just drop it and change subject.

But seriously, you guys are lucky XD Come try to deal with my friends :roll: I live in a very religious town.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Wed 21st Jul 2010

Hey guys, we have a few threads that this can go under.

The Blue Laws thread discusses laws on Christianity.

Christianity or Not? will help you debate whether or not Christianity is "truth".

Is God Real? will let you debate atheism versus theism.

Would/Do You like God lets you debate your perception of God.

In Persecuting Christians you can discuss whether there is unfair treatment of Christians, or whether or not you think that the opposite is true towards atheists.

There's a topic on The Bible, on Religion, People's Differences, Different Opinions on Holidays, Afterlife, Judging People, Being Religious for the Wrong Reasons, The Trouble with Tolerance, and a ton more.

Any of those could use parts of this debate. I'd probably suggest Persecuting Christians.

In the interest of not having a bunch of topics about essentially the same thing I am going to lock this one.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...