Excessive Smily Usage

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Silversong
LEPretrieval Team Member
Location: Sneaking behind my prey, teeth sharp, ready for the kill.

Excessive Smily Usage

Post by Silversong » Fri 11th Jun 2010

Hey! Have you ever wondered when enough smilies is enough? Well, this is to debate when you have crammed enough smilies into your post. When should you stop with the smilies? When do the Smilies start to take over the post? Should their be a limit on how many smilies you can post? This is to debate all that. For instance, is this too many smiles?

:razz: Lol! That is soo funny! It's 8) cool though. I really like it! :D :D :D

Or...

My smily army shall defeat yours! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, start the debate!
An Upside-Down Reverse RA INBOW
While you are still SINGING
A MELODY, only for you.
Makes the WORLD go swinging...

Team Holly!

Thank you to FS for the lovely avvie!
Thank you to CC for the avvie that became a siggie :3.
And thanks for Bobo's and FS's siggies that I didn't use but are saved in my hardrive for future use :3
The song in the beginning is Reverse Rainbow, by Kagamine Rin and Hatsune Miku.

faerimagic
Centaur Genius
Location: Drawing away the whole day...and missing dinner... *stomach growls*

Re: Excessive Smily Usage

Post by faerimagic » Fri 11th Jun 2010

I think that there's too much smilies if you have 10 smilies one after the other, or if smilies take up more than half the width of the post.

Smilies armies ARE fun, but they are, most of the time, irrelevant to the post you're making. So smilie armies are rare.
ImageImageImageImageImage

In order of appearence is Dreads, Belle, Phalaka, Tamakiko, and Harmonia.
I was bored, so I wrote descriptions for all of them. Just scroll down each of their pages to see their random histories.
Team Holly.

Sig made by the awesome FowlStar. :D

crazychick
LEPrecon Officer

Post by crazychick » Sun 13th Jun 2010

I. myself, am very fond of smilies. :D I think they emphasise your feelings of a fic or a post. I like to put a smiley after I make a point. Especially on FanFiction. :)
I also rather enjoy smiley armies. :twisted:
~CC
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Sun 13th Jun 2010

Me? I'd rather see a hundred smilies rather than none. On the internet it is very difficult to understand tone. "That looks nice." For example. It could be, "That looks nice. :D " Indicitating it REALLY looks nice. Or it could be "That looks nice :? " Meaning, Uhh I'm saying that because I don't wanna tell the truth. Or even sarcasm. "I hate you! :x " Would make that person looked really ticked, or you could put "I hate you! XD "

So you see? Without the smilies on here and our awesome sarcasm, many things could end up... you know..
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

faerimagic
Centaur Genius
Location: Drawing away the whole day...and missing dinner... *stomach growls*

Post by faerimagic » Mon 14th Jun 2010

A smilie after every sentence is too much! :?
It feels as if you are not sure the person will totally understand your words. :?
You know what I mean? :)
Or not? :(
(I don't. :lol:
Not really. :razz: )

Or....a better way to put what I'm thinking:

Too much smilies=using them too many times in a row.
ImageImageImageImageImage

In order of appearence is Dreads, Belle, Phalaka, Tamakiko, and Harmonia.
I was bored, so I wrote descriptions for all of them. Just scroll down each of their pages to see their random histories.
Team Holly.

Sig made by the awesome FowlStar. :D

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Post by The redeem3r » Wed 16th Jun 2010

Smilies have manifested themselves into the culture of many young adults and nearly every teen. Pardon me if this sounds a bit rude, but Smilies are not much of a debatable topic, as they aren't just part of teenage culture in America, but they're part of almost every human teen's culture.

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.

crazychick
LEPrecon Officer

Post by crazychick » Sun 22nd Aug 2010

I hate using the same smileys colse to each other, :D like this. :D

I'd rather say :) this. :D
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

Duck With No Name
LEP Commander

Post by Duck With No Name » Tue 31st Aug 2010

I use a lot of smilies in my posts but it's mostly to show you how I'm feeling at different points during the post because sometimes, a sentence can be taken in more than one way on the internet where you can't hear it being spoken, so I think that it's OK to have maybe a couple in a paragraph but I would call it excessive to have lots in one go like: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D unless you happen to be on the Twisted Vent Here Thread. :wink:

Green
Gnome

Post by Green » Mon 6th Sep 2010

I agree that they show tone but I just like um cause there funny and they look neat :lol:
If my Thoughts spoke words aloud
You would all have Headaches now to

ImageImageImageImage

Beckett Simpleton
Troll

Post by Beckett Simpleton » Sat 20th Nov 2010

As long as they are not taking over the world : :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Then I don't mind. but I think that smilies are good., Sometimes, they act like paragraphs. They break up a long chunk of boring text.

But I generally frown upon their usage in fanfics. Usually, but sometimes, they are okay.

:mrgreen:

Smilies are what lighten up my day. What's my favourite smilie? this one ;) when it's on fanfic and shout box. Not on here it looks funny :s :tantrum: << second fave. So so true :)
Fairies. Something about... Fairies...

Randomosity
Troll
Location: I'm stuck in my computer! If you are reading this, find me! I'm filed under "Randomosity"

Post by Randomosity » Fri 10th May 2013

I think they are OK depending on the topic. If it is a debate or polotics no one is likely to take you seriously if you have smilies. It depends on the length as well. popping them in here and there is fine, but all in a row can be a little too much
(FAVRIOTE QUOTE)I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned Image
This sigge was made by Sara. THANK YOU!!!
Avvie made by skyswallow. THANK YOU ALSO!!!
There is no freedom, just different levels of bondage
Remember that all opinion is an view about the world. Find a place to stand.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON
Alcohol. the solution- and cause- of all life's problems
ASDF movies are awesome and so are Eddsworld and the TomSka movies. Also Rest In Peace Edd Gould your world will keep on spinning.
COFFEE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND!!!
COFFEE IS IN MY SOUL!
COFFEE IS MY SOUL!

Coffee addiction? Nah.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Mon 13th May 2013

Here's something to take in mind - I used to hate it when people used to post millions of animated smileys, cuz I was on a slow, old computer with crappy wifi. The pages wouldn't load. Now, it's not a problem for me, but it still is for others, so I think you shouldnt use to many