Christianity or Not?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Post Reply
User avatar
BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 8023
Joined: Sun 22nd Oct 2006
Location: Posh Isolation
Contact:

Christianity or Not?

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 8th Apr 2010

Hello all!
This thread is for all of your Christian-related debates. Want to talk about Christian law? It goes here! Want to debate the validity of the Bible? It goes here! Want to debate the Christian view on different issues? It goes here!

Isn't this such a wonderful thread? I'm quite excited about it.

So to start the debate: How does one validate the Bible and for what reasons should one look to it for spiritual guidance?

(That's general enough, right? If you guys want to run off in a different direction please do. :D)

Edit: For now I'm going to leave the other ones open, but I may decide to lock them to keep everything nice and neat. :)
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

User avatar
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon 29th Dec 2008
Location: Aw... you cared enough to try and find out
Contact:

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by codeblackrose » Sun 18th Apr 2010

Well... I'm not saying it's actually true, but the moral stuff in it are pretty good. But god... is not my business. *grumpy*

Mainly cuz I had to go to sunday school and listen to 'GOD' again.

Off topic. Sorry.

Basically god is not real. Because you can kid youself about mostly everything, and that is called hallucinating. Well, if you believe enough.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

User avatar
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 7968
Joined: Fri 7th Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Location: Broadway

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by HollyShort9 » Wed 21st Apr 2010

Y'know, random question, Helen (and no, this is not meant to be offensive, just curious)--didn't you convert when you had that really bad nosebleed and the only thing that stopped it was prayer? (like I said, not meant to be offensive or whatnot, just... geniune question. XD)

Anyways, I believe in God. I was raised an Orthodox Christain, so right from the start I was being told that God existed, but that's not the only reasons why I believe in Him.
Some of the reasons why I believe so strongly in Him are really simple.
Whenever I pray, I feel as though the silence is listening. And I just feel at peace, and comforted. And when I read my Bible, or clutch onto it or my cross when I'm afraid, or in pain, or am just having a bad day, it's like everything else just washes away and it's just my God and I in the world.
Also, I really like church. It just feels indescribable, when I pray and the hymns combine and stuff.
But last week my Greek school teacher had me go up to get one of our prayer books so she could make copies of our Easter prayer, "Christosaneste" (or translated from Greek, "Christ is Risen"), and when I walked up there alone, the sun shining through the stained glass was making rainbows of light all over, and it was like the icons were watching me, and the silence just seemed so... nice.
I tell you if I hadn't've had to take the prayer book back downstairs, if I hadn't have had to go to Greek school and stuff, I woulda walked up in front of the altar, sat down on the stairs, and just prayed for hours. I woulda stayed up there forever. That's how nice it felt being up there.

I don't know. It's part of personal opinion and all that, that's true, but I can't even begin to describe how I feel when I pray and stuff. It's just... that was the best I could describe it, but it was so much better than the way I described it to you.
Image
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

User avatar
crazychick
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat 26th Sep 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Batcrap Crazy =D

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by crazychick » Tue 11th May 2010

I agree COMPLETELY with HS9.
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

Image
BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by Bang Your Drum » Wed 12th May 2010

CC saying you agree isn't contributing to the debate.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by JLHxXxX » Wed 12th May 2010

Hmm... I don't believe. For my own reasons.

One; there are hundreds and hundreds of different gods and goddesses out there, and I don't wish to be a hypocracy to my own self and join one particular religion. Even if I am not religious, I study religion and have even been drug to church xD

((Before any of you get on my tail about the other gods and goddesses, I'll smack you upside the head if you say it is SCIENTIFICALLY proven that they don't exist. Because we can't prove Christian God exists.))

I've never been a one sided figure, I've usually been neutral, never really getting involved unless I am the other side. I have my gut reasons and phantasy reasons to not believe, but that's a total different sequence from here.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
crazychick
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat 26th Sep 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Batcrap Crazy =D

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by crazychick » Wed 12th May 2010

((Sorry, Gothic!))

Will you allow me to say that most of the ancient religions and possibly some current religions feared their Gods? Does anyone fear the Christian God? Has anyone noticed that its God versus the lowercase godS?
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

Image
BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by JLHxXxX » Wed 12th May 2010

^That's another good point I bring out.

God is so perfect in christianity. Yet no one notices it. Yet other gods and goddesses made mistakes. And christianity was NOT the first religion BY FAR. :P

What you worship is upon your own believe. Everyone thinks their own religion is correct. So how can we HONESTLY know which religion is right?

That's why I'm agnostic. Confused, or unsettled upon the religions xP (Neutral)
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
crazychick
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat 26th Sep 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Batcrap Crazy =D

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by crazychick » Wed 12th May 2010

No one knows which religion is right. Every religion has a creator. We're here. That's provable. Although there is controversey, I don't think anyone on this site should be judged by their religion.
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

Image
BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by JLHxXxX » Thu 13th May 2010

I agree, no one should be judged. Although with Vis, no one judged him until he brought religion into any debate he joined. He spoke his God's words and His word's only. I don't think he expressed one single free opinion. Other than that nobody should.

Back onto topic, with christianity. I am very skeptic. I'm not the seing is believing person, but I honestly don't feel right joining any religion.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
<3PEXnCHIPS
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed 1st Jul 2009

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by <3PEXnCHIPS » Thu 13th May 2010

JLHxXxX wrote:What you worship is upon your own believe. Everyone thinks their own religion is correct. So how can we HONESTLY know which religion is right?
We can't. Not until we die. The real one may not have even be "discovered". But Christianity, at least (I don't know about other religions) is about trust, not knowledge or proof.
crazychick wrote:I don't think anyone on this site should be judged by their religion.
Not here, or anywhere.
JLHxXxX wrote:((Before any of you get on my tail about the other gods and goddesses, I'll smack you upside the head if you say it is SCIENTIFICALLY proven that they don't exist. Because we can't prove Christian God exists.))
As far as I know, no one says it's been scientifically proven. Like I said, God can't be proven. No one religion can. It's about belief and faith. But you can't disprove him, either, can you?
JLHxXxX wrote:He spoke his God's words and His word's only. I don't think he expressed one single free opinion.
What if God's word was his opinion?
JLHxXxX wrote:I am very skeptic. I'm not the seing is believing person, but I honestly don't feel right joining any religion.
Then what do you believe? Where did we come from? How did all of this get here? I'll avoid using the word "coincidence" because it confuses you for some reason.
Image

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by JLHxXxX » Thu 13th May 2010

Then what do you believe? Where did we come from? How did all of this get here? I'll avoid using the word "coincidence" because it confuses you for some reason
Because I figured it was your religion. There's scientific ways, natural ways, soul's ways, uses, everything.

Mo, it's not like I ignore all the religions. I studied christianity for three years. Just like I studied greek mythology, and I'm thinknig about looking into egyptian gods.

I've read the children's version of the bible, parts of the original version, but there are things in my mind that go "what the heck?". I think the biggest reason I am not christian, is because it was not inforced in my home. I'm sure if someone was taught muslim beliefs like parents taught christianity, they would stick with that religion.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
<3PEXnCHIPS
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed 1st Jul 2009

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by <3PEXnCHIPS » Thu 13th May 2010

I'm very confused
JLHxXxX wrote:Because I figured it was your religion. There's scientific ways, natural ways, soul's ways, uses, everything.
.

This is just like today; where did that come from?

I didn't say you ignored them , I asked you what you believed.
JLHxXxX wrote:there are things in my mind that go "what the heck?".
Like what?
Image

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by JLHxXxX » Thu 13th May 2010

Like what?
If I had a bible in front of me, I would tell you. >.< I don't have a photographic memory! Although I remember hating the river being lifted... not sure why.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
crazychick
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat 26th Sep 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Batcrap Crazy =D

Re: Christianity or Not?

Post by crazychick » Fri 14th May 2010

Think of it this way: each religion has a god of creation. Who's to say they're not all the same one with a different name?
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

Image
BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

Post Reply