Blue Laws(Christianity affecting american's lives)

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Blue Laws(Christianity affecting american's lives)

Post by JLHxXxX » Wed 17th Feb 2010

I just realized this, especially spoken of in the debates, such as marriage, but what do you think of all these blue laws? I don't think many of them are very fair, and that christianity dominates alot more of America than we actually see. The pledge, for instance, my friend refused to say it because she's aitheist, and got a detention and almost suspended for her belief! She didn't want to go against her religion, is that so wrong? I truly dislike alot, how many blue laws we have. But I must add, if christians and catholics and all those people, have the right to say the pledge, shouldn't us aitheists and agnostics and others, have the right[/i ] to not say the pledge? I thought this nation was created for seperation of churche and state, and freedom of religion, but truly, how far do those rights go?

Another thing, my christian friends' parents sometimes yell at me for not wanting to say grace O.O but if they want to say grace, THEY HAVE to say grace, but then I'm there and I have to say it? >_<

Tell me what you think, personal experiences with other religions?
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Re: Blue Laws(Christianity affecting american's lives)

Post by Bang Your Drum » Wed 17th Feb 2010

Sweetie don't you mean red laws, red is the covservatives color, blue is for librals.

My school doesn't require you to say the pledge, and I chose not to. More for political reasons though because for some people in the US some people have very few rights and little liberty which brings us to the most glaring problem with this country which is that many states have made it illegal to marry someone you love. And by illegal I don't mean not allowed you can would might go to jail if you were joining two men together!
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Wed 17th Feb 2010

GothicLollipop wrote:Sweetie don't you mean red laws, red is the covservatives color, blue is for librals.

My school doesn't require you to say the pledge, and I chose not to. More for political reasons though because for some people in the US some people have very few rights and little liberty which brings us to the most glaring problem with this country which is that many states have made it illegal to marry someone you love. And by illegal I don't mean not allowed you can would might go to jail if you were joining two men together!
While your name would be more logical, the laws are actually called "Blue Laws." It's like how the superhero "Black Lightning" actually shoots lightning that is white in color, like regular lightning, and the "Black" comes from his race. "Black Lightning" isn't a great name for him because HE'S black and he SHOOTS lightning, even though he's not lightning, and the lightning isn't black, so that adjective shouldn't be paired with that noun.

But I digress. The laws are called Blue laws despite their conservative bias.

And the pledge of allegiance cannot be legally required to say, not only because it has "Under God" in it, but because the same 1st amendment grants us freedom of speech.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Thu 18th Feb 2010

Most likely they are called blue laws because the conservative color used to be blue (until the liberals discovered that red reminded people of communism, which most people disliked). Blue laws are unavoidable, since some people can choose not believe in the laws. Some people could consider laws against murder to be blue laws, since murder could be a part of their religion. Imposing morality on people is what the laws do.
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Thu 18th Feb 2010

Note: America has freedom OF religion, though reedom FROM religion has gotten stronger in my opinion, especially in this dumb Quaker State! There's gotta be a church around every darned block! Freedom of religion is defined that everyone lives together in their own religions, without criticizing people and it doesn't threat another person. I didn't mind the pledge until I was in 6th, because that's when I converted, and lemme tell ya, those teachers are vicious o.o And freedom of religion.. *shudders* we have a bit of both reallyy.. (Hey it's like, 7am, if it was at night I would have better things to say!)
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

cookieninja
LEP Commander

Post by cookieninja » Tue 6th Apr 2010

Whatever happened to seperate church and state?
Abortion and Gay Marriage are some of the instances where Church and State are not seperated. I mean, well don't people have as much right to abort as they do not too.
But let's not get into that. Some of the Church and State debates are ridiculous, especially the 'Happy Holidays' thing
The best comedy around. Monty Python. Please, don't hesitate to look them up.
++++++++++
Number One Rule of the World wrote:Something goes wrong? Blame Pete Wentz.
Wentz not available? Blame Gabe Saporta.

Cookie Shamelessly Promotes Her Writing in Her Signature

Goblin 1
Mud-Man

Post by Goblin 1 » Sun 18th Apr 2010

No one is free from religon you have the right to belive in what you want but you must respect religons

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 18th Apr 2010

I have a comeback for you Vis, I know you don't go here any more but here it is.
We don't need any religion to prove that things like murder and assault are wrong science shows that it is wrong too. Think about it if you test the brains waves and stress levels of a human then stab that human with a knife the levels go up, proving that it is causing emotional pain as well as physical pain. You can conclude from this that murder is wrong. It is also true that most other animals will yield the same results, which makes me kind of want to go vegetarian. But really I don't think killing animals is murder since the word homicide implies the killing of one of your own species.

hiholly123
Dwarf Thief

Post by hiholly123 » Sat 22nd May 2010

I think that everyone should be able so say or not say the pledge. It doesn't mean you're any less loyal to your country. It just means that some of the lines aren't exactly your religion, which is perfectly fine. Me, being a christian, I believe in all that stuff, but I also believe that all religions should be respected, because that's what being a christian means! You're supposed to turn people to God (if that is your goal, anyway) by being nice, and respecting others and their beliefs and property. That's the point! If they want to join you in Christianity, that's great! If not, well, that's okay, too.
(GIF not made by me)
Don't Blink.
Team Holly!

crazychick
LEPrecon Officer

Post by crazychick » Wed 9th Jun 2010

I completely agree with hiholly on this one. And ha, about saying grace, if you don't want to, make up an excuse. Like, go to the bathroom and tell them that they can go ahead.
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 14th Jun 2010

Well... They would wait. They're that christian.

~HaTheAngel~

hiholly123
Dwarf Thief

Post by hiholly123 » Sun 27th Jun 2010

Have you tried explaining to them about it? Like, I know it's a little weird to walk up to your friend's parents and tell them that you don't want to say grace, but have you tried? If they're as Christian as you say, then they should be decent enough to listen to you. If not, they only think that they're real Christians. Like, anyone can be a Christian, but being a REAL Christian means that you try your hardest to respect people, and listen to people, and appreciate people. Most people find that hard, which is totally okay. But some people don't try. Don't tell them that, of course, but if you want to, you could try to explain it.
(GIF not made by me)
Don't Blink.
Team Holly!

crazychick
LEPrecon Officer

Post by crazychick » Sun 4th Jul 2010

Yeah. Try that. And my mpom said that its supposed to be illegal to force kids to say the pledge at school.
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Mon 5th Jul 2010

I don't think it is, I don't say it sicne it is optional at my school, but if you make fun of it, you get in trouble! But I also went to a school were we didn't even have a flag pole. I don't think you can really punish a kid for not saying it though, that goes agiasnt the 1st amenment. Though the "under God" bit was added during the 1950's to combat the "Godless commies" or something like that.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Tue 6th Jul 2010

Interesting. I still find it horribly wrong, since our principle is christian.

@The others: I've tried asking to not say grace and I got kicked out of that house... I'm also not allowed to speak to my friend from the cruise, anymore. (this was when i was like... 8?) I really just don't wanna risk it. My friends accept me, and some of their parents hate me enough, I don't want them to hate me more!

~HaTheAngel~