(Would/Do) You Like God?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
User avatar
Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri 10th Oct 2008
Location: My Irish dance school!
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Wed 3rd Mar 2010

The way I perceive the gods and goddesses of my religion is as being of the inner realms, which are accessed through your mind and imagination.
So, technically, they're a part of me, and everyone. The God, the Goddess, Brigid, Lugh, the Morrigan, all of those lovely ladies and gents. :lol:
I am SO bad at explaining this. XD
So, really, the gods, being a part of me and of us all, are to be respected, if not loved.
Now, from my point of view...
I love some gods and goddesses better than others. I enjoy working with Brigid, Scathach, Merlin and the Goddess more than I like working with the God, the Morrigan and Lugh, but I embrace both sides fully. I wouldn't be whole otherwise.
I mean, who wouldn't prefer the loving mother Goddess to a scary Crow? Not that working with the Crone is any less important than working with the Maiden and Mother- oh, I'm going a little off-topic here.

Yes, I like the gods.
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Réaltaí Rince na hÉireann
Irish Dance, always and forever!

http://realtairinceeireann.blogspot.com/

User avatar
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 7961
Joined: Fri 7th Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Location: Broadway

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by HollyShort9 » Thu 4th Mar 2010

Jul, no offense, but I think that they're asking people who believe in the Christian god, or believe that He might exist, whether we like Him or not.

Yes, I love God.
He gave us free will, because He did not want His children to be puppets--therefore, bad things WILL happen in this world, because He gave us free will (does that make any sense?)
But God is a loving God. I know He is.
Just ask me examples and I can give you some.
Image
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

User avatar
Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri 10th Oct 2008
Location: My Irish dance school!
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Thu 4th Mar 2010

Well, hey, I'm just giving my side of the story here! :)
And the topic title didn't specify the Christian god!
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Réaltaí Rince na hÉireann
Irish Dance, always and forever!

http://realtairinceeireann.blogspot.com/

User avatar
BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 8023
Joined: Sun 22nd Oct 2006
Location: Posh Isolation
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 4th Mar 2010

HollyShort9 wrote:Jul, no offense, but I think that they're asking people who believe in the Christian god, or believe that He might exist, whether we like Him or not.

Yes, I love God.
He gave us free will, because He did not want His children to be puppets--therefore, bad things WILL happen in this world, because He gave us free will (does that make any sense?)
But God is a loving God. I know He is.
Just ask me examples and I can give you some.

If that's the only way this topic can go then I will lock it and it can be discussed under the general Christianity topic. :) We've enough of those. And it's true, the title isn't specific. Variety is more fun, I think. It doesn't say "Yahweh" or "Elohim" in the title... Just "God". Not Christian God. Not Judeo-Christian God... I'd say it's better as a varied topic.


If God is omniscient and omnipotent... well, he can't be omni-benevolent without being a contradiction. Before he made the world he would have to know exactly what would happen, exactly all of the pain that would result in it. Otherwise he wouldn't be omniscient.

But that's an argument for God's existence...

But I guess I might like him if I knew where he was going with all this. I'm not sure. We'd have to talk it out. :)
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

User avatar
jsreed5
LEPretrieval Team Member
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon 8th Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Location: Out in the rain, with a bucket over my head
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by jsreed5 » Thu 4th Mar 2010

That's kinda how I feel about the whole issue, if God were omniscient then he must have some greater plan for all of humanity, otherwise he'd intervene because we would be getting off track :?

Do I believe that there COULD be an omniscient, omnipotent deity out there? Sure. Do I know for sure that there is one? No, but I like to theorize. (Though I can't claim to be absolutely correct when I feel that no human-made system is completely perfect, I can come up with an answer that seems right to me.)

I have to admit that I'm often short with people that accept what a church tells them about faith or theology with little to no questioning. If you've REALLY thought about it for years and years, struggled with it, and found that there is just no better answer for you (and can explain why based on YOUR views, not a church's or the god's), then I respect that you've had the courage to go on that journey. Otherwise don't bother defending something you've never thought about yourself. (I'm happy to say that I've never had any major problems like that on this forum, mostly because of the existence of threads like this ^.^)

That was probably off topic a little, but my point is yes, any deity that doesn't noticeably interfere with our daily lives probably has a grander plan for us humans.

User avatar
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 7961
Joined: Fri 7th Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Location: Broadway

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by HollyShort9 » Fri 5th Mar 2010

BlackOpal wrote:
HollyShort9 wrote:Jul, no offense, but I think that they're asking people who believe in the Christian god, or believe that He might exist, whether we like Him or not.

Yes, I love God.
He gave us free will, because He did not want His children to be puppets--therefore, bad things WILL happen in this world, because He gave us free will (does that make any sense?)
But God is a loving God. I know He is.
Just ask me examples and I can give you some.

If that's the only way this topic can go then I will lock it and it can be discussed under the general Christianity topic. :) We've enough of those. And it's true, the title isn't specific. Variety is more fun, I think. It doesn't say "Yahweh" or "Elohim" in the title... Just "God". Not Christian God. Not Judeo-Christian God... I'd say it's better as a varied topic.
*shrug*
Sorry, seemed to me like the person who made the topic was talking about the Christian God, so I figured, y'know, it was about Him. I didn't mean to offend anyone, by the way.
Image
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by JLHxXxX » Sat 6th Mar 2010

HollyShort9 wrote:Jul, no offense, but I think that they're asking people who believe in the Christian god, or believe that He might exist, whether we like Him or not.

Yes, I love God.
He gave us free will, because He did not want His children to be puppets--therefore, bad things WILL happen in this world, because He gave us free will (does that make any sense?)
But God is a loving God. I know He is.
Just ask me examples and I can give you some.
I have to ask this. How do you know he is, if no one knows about any other Gods?

I've thought of this a wee bit, and it hit me. Truly, I feel neutral between religions, though this one is the most highly debated around the world. I do not mind the christian God Himself, it is what people are taught I can't stand that they don't mind. Such ashe is always watching you, and will always be there for you. That is MY opinion, and MY opinion only, do not ask why, please. If I had the guts to study christianity, might I like him more than neutral? Possibly. But everything a priest says I can debate with *chuckles* so that may not happen for a while.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 7961
Joined: Fri 7th Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Location: Broadway

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by HollyShort9 » Sun 7th Mar 2010

JLHxXxX wrote:
HollyShort9 wrote:Jul, no offense, but I think that they're asking people who believe in the Christian god, or believe that He might exist, whether we like Him or not.

Yes, I love God.
He gave us free will, because He did not want His children to be puppets--therefore, bad things WILL happen in this world, because He gave us free will (does that make any sense?)
But God is a loving God. I know He is.
Just ask me examples and I can give you some.
I have to ask this. How do you know he is, if no one knows about any other Gods?
Remember those stories I told you on Facebook the other day?
The girl who wasn't raped because she apparently had two tall men on either side of her (when she prayed for God to help her), and other stories that I told you?
Why would God do those things if He was not a loving God?
It's just kind of logic, you know
Image
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

User avatar
Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri 10th Oct 2008
Location: My Irish dance school!
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Sun 7th Mar 2010

HS9, this particular subject can be better discussed in the 'Is God Real?' thread. [/friendly warning]
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Réaltaí Rince na hÉireann
Irish Dance, always and forever!

http://realtairinceeireann.blogspot.com/

User avatar
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 7961
Joined: Fri 7th Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Location: Broadway

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by HollyShort9 » Mon 8th Mar 2010

Actually, I kinda thought that it fell under this category, too.
JLH asked how I knew that God was a loving God, so I reminded her of a few stories I told her that give me the (instinctive) feeling that God is indeed a loving God.
[/friendly explanation]
Image
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

User avatar
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon 29th Dec 2008
Location: Aw... you cared enough to try and find out
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by codeblackrose » Sat 20th Mar 2010

With all the friendly warnings going around...<

Anyway this thread operates under the assumption that god(s) exist. Any god.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

User avatar
Beckett Simpleton
Troll
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun 21st Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Location: United Kingdom, England, North East

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Beckett Simpleton » Sat 20th Nov 2010

I ASSUME that when you say GOD you are reffering to the Guy in the Sky Jesus' daddy?

Just 'cause there are alot of religeons that call their god God too. :)

Anyhow, the guy in the sky... I don't like the way the bible has portrayed him, and since this is the only thing we have to go on, I dislike him.

I am methodist (basically just Christian but we are more laid back) and i do not believe in God. I do not want to spend my life making a guy who is a total hypocrite like me.

He says don't do bad things, yet he says that our lives are already set out for us.

He says Homosexuality is bad, but apparently, democrasy is too . And weren't we all created in God's image?

When the people he created do something bad, he tries to kill us all.

All I have to say on behalf of the christians and Methodists who don't mind me bashing their religion ( :) ) is that, at least his son was a better man. :)
Fairies. Something about... Fairies...

User avatar
Abiogenesis
LEP Recruit
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu 7th May 2009
Location: York - England - United Kingdom - Europe - Earth - Solar Sytem - Perseus Arm - Milky Way Galaxy - Lo

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Abiogenesis » Sat 5th Feb 2011

So when god killed every single life form on Earth because of humankind not living up to his expectations, he was being kind?

Saying we have free will is a dodgy statement in itself. Do you have a free will of being born in an infertile dustbowl riddled with multiple contagious diseases, where you have a strong chance of being killed before you even reach your first birthday. Is that what a fair, loving god would allow?

By any standard in modern times the 'glorious word of god' is nothing but barbaric. Lets check the lord above's opinions on certain actions.

- Strike your mother of father...You deserve to die
Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

- Kill goats to appease a different god but the Christian one - Death
Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

- If one person in another city worships a different god - Murder the entire city and burn it to the ground

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

- Are you a women and you aren't a virgin on your wedding night - Death

But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

- Not to mention various innane and simply dumb death sentences

Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him. (1 Kings 20:35-36 NLT)

The ark of God was placed on a new cart and taken away from the house of Abinadab on the hill. Uzzah and Ahio, sons of Abinadab guided the cart, with Ahio walking before it, while David and all the Israelites made merry before the Lord with all their strength, with singing and with citharas, harps, tambourines, sistrums, and cymbals.

When they came to the threshing floor of Nodan, Uzzah reached out his hand to the ark of God to steady it, for the oxen were making it tip. But the Lord was angry with Uzzah; God struck him on that spot, and he died there before God. (2 Samuel 6:3-7 NAB)

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)#

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)




I can feel the love and compassion radiating out of the pages.
"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open."
-Thomas R. Dewar
"Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live - I am proud to die".
-The Space Marines
"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
-Winston Churchill
"Leeeeeeroy Jenkins"
- Aragorn at the Black Gates

Image

User avatar
artyroxtothecore17m
Dwarf Miner
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed 29th Dec 2010
Location: home.

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by artyroxtothecore17m » Fri 11th Feb 2011

I LOVE GOD, there is always GOD, and that to
only 1 god, many ppl say that there r many God's, but i say that thre is only 1 God, he's trying to make us learn, learn new things, lyk, being nice to other ppl, and other stuff, which u must be knowing after all, he is making us suffer, yes, but can u tell why he is making us suffer?

to learn, learn and become pure, and once u learn and become pure in heart, you ultimately go to god!, that's why, and after all i think u must hav heard about ' karma', what ever you have done in your past life affect's, now ( i don't know if you believe in rebirth, but as far as in me, i belive it is true), eg: in your last birth: you helped a person, this life: when your in trouble some body will help you.

eg: last birth: if you have been rude to a parson, this birth: somebody would hav been rude to you
r will become rude to you.
GOD just wants us to learn, and once after you suffer, you will learn, your soul will learn, so always we hav to be good to ppl, in the sense be whatever you are, eg: an other grl is prettier than you, it does not mean that god did not make you pretty, it was you who had not taken care of your beauty last birth.

conclusion: whatever you were last birth, affect you this birth....
Umm, don't know what to say.

User avatar
Ohansahyosheli
Dwarf Thief
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri 31st Jul 2009
Location: Alicante, Idris

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Ohansahyosheli » Sat 12th Feb 2011

Could someone please delete this? I didn't mean to post twice in a row...
Last edited by Ohansahyosheli on Sat 12th Feb 2011, edited 2 times in total.
[✯♫♪Prepare yourself to meet] [The girl who cannot sleep] [Dividing every question till the questions are complete] [Every twisted tongue] [She studies everyone] [She won't leave any stone unturned] [The night is oh so young♪♫✯]

Post Reply