(Would/Do) You Like God?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by JLHxXxX » Tue 26th Jan 2010

I still do not know how you would know that
I'm not saying I know, really, I always think what's more deep in my heart. And that's how I feel.

Is that a fact? I do agree with you that we all interpret facts, but there are facts that do exist, regardless of how we interpret things. For example, some animals look alike. Depending on your worldview, you will interpret this phenomenon. Evolutionists will often (though not always) interpret this to mean they are related, but a creationist will interpret this to mean they have the same designer. Most things in operational science creationists, evolutionists and skeptics agree with, because they are observable and repeatable (unlike historic events).
The ''animal thing'' would be an opinion. Because not all people might agree. I don't like all this crip science stuff to be honest, come of it's just crazy. (Like how much energy we use to run, that's just annoying! I had to learn that this year...)
Why? I am fairly sure that you would not be able to prove that.
quote: He MAY not be the one. Who says I know??
Just wondering, why would you bother to question if you believe that we can not know the answer?
1. It's fun to debate :P
2. I have my own opinions that people criticize.

I actually do know, but continue.
Dude, before I blow. You keep saying ''I don't know." How the fruit monkeys would you?? Huh??
Well, the only other explanation is that they had a demonic experience.
Mmm, well, I didn't hear of any tests that truly prooves they don't exist. Those religions are probobly.. as old and christianity. If I think of my studies correctly with greek.
That is not really the reason why. Actually, the reason that one cannot "prove" God exists is because He is the fundamental (the ultimate authority). If something were to prove that God exists, then God would not be the ultimate authority. However, axioms can be confirmed, which ours is
.
Exactly why some people don't believe him. Just to point out :P
One reason is that most of the books tell us that they are written by God (through human authors). Another question, why would you believe something that did not come from a church? Another reason is the context and the grammar structure (genesis and other historical books of the Bible are written as history, not allegory). God bless.
Dude, I got into a debate with a priest once. It was not pretty. He started trying to convert my friend to christian.. and I flipped, (well, cousin anyways). Please, we don't know if what we learn from history is true, we don't know if dinosaurs or really completely true, but we know this bible was written by this God?
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Visorak16 » Tue 26th Jan 2010

Dude, before I blow. You keep saying ''I don't know." How the fruit monkeys would you?? Huh??
There are several reasons. One, through experience, I have met God through the Holy Spirit. Two, by taking the Bible as my axiom (my one preposition), I can make sense of the world (such as immaterial laws working on a material universe, like uniformity, logic, and mathematics). Their are also several reasons why I say that you do not know. One, because you say we can not know about such things (self refuting, if we know that much). Two, to make such a claim would require an omniscient source of information. I do not believe that you have ever claimed to have one, while I have claimed that the Bible is a source of information from someone who is omniscient.
Mmm, well, I didn't hear of any tests that truly prooves they don't exist. Those religions are probobly.. as old and christianity. If I think of my studies correctly with greek.
It depends on which ones you are talking about and where you place the beginning of Christianity. There are three or so possible beginnings, the sixth day of the world (creation of first man and woman), the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, or approximately 33 A.D.
Exactly why some people don't believe him. Just to point out
I wonder why they would trust other fundamentals then.
Dude, I got into a debate with a priest once. It was not pretty. He started trying to convert my friend to christian.. and I flipped, (well, cousin anyways). Please, we don't know if what we learn from history is true, we don't know if dinosaurs or really completely true, but we know this bible was written by this God?
I do not know any informed creationst who would argue that either history is unknowable or that dinosaurs did not exist. In fact there is good Biblical support for dinosaurs. Job 40:15 NKJV says, "Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you; he eats grass like an ox. 16See now, his strength is in his hips, and his power is in his stomach muscles. He moves his tail like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are tightly knit." While it is true that we can not study the past like other things (repeating it), we can get a general idea through writings, archaeology, and the Bible.
God bless.
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by JLHxXxX » Tue 26th Jan 2010

Let's make this short, simple, and to the point.

I am not repeating myself again. Let's drop this, we're getting no where, no one believes the other.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Visorak16 » Wed 27th Jan 2010

Where did I say that I did not believe you? True, I challenged some of your claims because you could not know some of the stuff that you were saying (at least without supernatural information).
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon 29th Dec 2008
Location: Aw... you cared enough to try and find out
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by codeblackrose » Thu 28th Jan 2010

Actually, I think the real problem is that you're saying IF there's a god again, not if you like him. You can believe in him but totally hate him too, or think he's scary and such.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Visorak16 » Thu 28th Jan 2010

Actually, I think the real problem is that you're saying IF there's a god again, not if you like him. You can believe in him but totally hate him too, or think he's scary and such.Actually, I think the real problem is that you're saying IF there's a god again, not if you like him. You can believe in him but totally hate him too, or think he's scary and such.
I think that is very astute of you, coldblackrose. I basically started by addressing the points of the others and this is where it lead. I think it is good of you to try to get us back on topic.
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon 29th Dec 2008
Location: Aw... you cared enough to try and find out
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by codeblackrose » Sat 6th Feb 2010

Well, yes, but this whole topic is based on the assumption that there IS a god, and that the bible is god's word. What do you approve or not approve of him? According to the bible, of course, for the bible is all we know. Except for those who really believe in god, but that's not the point.

The point is, you can believe in god, which is what we're assuming now, and also dislike him.

So do you like or dislike him? And why? That is the topic.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

User avatar
BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 8023
Joined: Sun 22nd Oct 2006
Location: Posh Isolation
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by BlackOpal » Wed 10th Feb 2010

Hey. Just so you guys all know, this thread borderlines on offending someone's belief. It's alright to debate about whether or not you like God, but implying that someone who does/doesn't like God is crazy is not allowed.

Just to warn you ahead of time, in case this breaks into an argument. :)
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

User avatar
Alanna
Lady Random
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sun 4th Jan 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Gone back to the real world.

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Alanna » Wed 10th Feb 2010

Ugh, and there already happens to be a debate thread on the matters of Is God Real? This debate is just saying 'if' he did exist, not to say he may not, is the description a nice one? This debate is one where a person's religious views are to be left at the door, and other debate should definitely not be cross-contaminated with this debate.

Personally I think the debate should be closed until some civilness is shown.

(Thanks for the suggestion, but no Back-Seat Modding Allowed. If you have a suggestion, PM me.)
Image
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

User avatar
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon 29th Dec 2008
Location: Aw... you cared enough to try and find out
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by codeblackrose » Thu 11th Feb 2010

But that thread is only about if he's real,and this thread's about assuming he's real, and why you like or don't like him.

Well, I don't think it's defending someone's faith, it's just a light debate about whether god is really GOOD.

Maybe BlackOpal, you should change the thread name. Some people might not like this, but I feel it's okay...if you believe in god and trust in him then theoretically nothing would be able to chnan ge that.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

User avatar
cookieninja
LEP Commander
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon 7th Sep 2009
Gender: Female
Location: At her dream concert :)
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by cookieninja » Mon 15th Feb 2010

I am going to say this before I jump into quotes. If he does exist, I do not like the Christan god. I just don't like how he is all powerful and everything relies on one god. There are other reasons but i cannot word them right.
I am not saying that I don't believe in any god, because I am agnostic, like JLHxXxX over there. Go look up agnosticism right now.
Waiting...
Done? Okay.
Now some quoting!
Visorak16 wrote:There are vast differences between God and the false gods of Egypt. The most obvious is the quantity, there is only one God, while there are hundreds of Egyption gods. Another difference is the power levels; God is all powerful, while the Egyption gods (according to legend) have limited power. The most important difference, however, is the morality of God vs. the morality of the gods. The Egyption gods kill, hurt, and usurp other gods. God, on the other hand is completely righteous, just, and merciful. For more information see http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... -great-god .
First of all, I know many things about Egyptian myths. I am going to be an Egyptologist and I have read about Egyptian myths since age 7. Got that?
To Egyptians, their gods were not false as Christans, Jews, Hindus and Muslims believe their gods are not false. The belief that the Egyptians had for their gods is every bit the same as the beliefs you have for yours. Okay?
The gods did kill others and try and harm them in the battle for power. They are no different from all humans that inhabit this earth. That is one of the reasons, besides faith, that they believed in the gods. You say that God does not challenge those who compete with him, as the Egyptian gods did?
You talk about morality of other gods vs. your god. The Egyptian gods had morals. They often harmed other gods to protect the Egyptian people.
Most times the lives of the Egyptian gods did not affect Egyptians until death while in the time of the Bible, god often interfered with the lives of the humans.

That's all I have to say about that. Thank you.
Image
The best comedy around. Monty Python. Please, don't hesitate to look them up.
++++++++++
Number One Rule of the World wrote:Something goes wrong? Blame Pete Wentz.
Wentz not available? Blame Gabe Saporta.

Cookie Shamelessly Promotes Her Writing in Her Signature

User avatar
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon 29th Dec 2008
Location: Aw... you cared enough to try and find out
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by codeblackrose » Mon 15th Feb 2010

Yup! God has allowed so much hurt and stuff into this world. How is that so different from the others? I feel like if he's here, he neglecting us, and I so do NOT like that. Therefore I do not like God, or at least the christian version.

The other versions? I don't know much about them, but Buddhism apparently (apparently, I said) is based on 'acquiring' 'points' in this world so that they can be rewarded accordingly in the next.

???
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Visorak16 » Tue 16th Feb 2010

First of all, I know many things about Egyptian myths. I am going to be an Egyptologist and I have read about Egyptian myths since age 7. Got that?
To Egyptians, their gods were not false as Christans, Jews, Hindus and Muslims believe their gods are not false. The belief that the Egyptians had for their gods is every bit the same as the beliefs you have for yours. Okay?
I did not say that they did not believe in them, only that they are false. Based on your expressed beliefs, you think that you can not know one way or the other, no offense. From my computer dictionary (I prefer my Webster one),
ag·nos·ti·cism [ag nóstə sìzzəm]
n
view that God's existence is unprovable: the belief that it is impossible to know whether or not God exists
The gods did kill others and try and harm them in the battle for power. They are no different from all humans that inhabit this earth. That is one of the reasons, besides faith, that they believed in the gods.
That is the view most people have, that they are no different than people that they were supposed to be better than.
You say that God does not challenge those who compete with him, as the Egyptian gods did?
I am not sure where I would have said that. Sorry, but I am not sure that I understand what you mean.
You talk about morality of other gods vs. your god. The Egyptian gods had morals. They often harmed other gods to protect the Egyptian people.
Which means that some were more "moral" than others. None were perfect.
Most times the lives of the Egyptian gods did not affect Egyptians until death while in the time of the Bible, god often interfered with the lives of the humans.
Interfere has some negative connotations. He is the sustainer of all things and the Bible says that God works in all things for the good of those who love Him, and He sent His Son to die for us. If God never interfered, we would all be doomed. We would not even exist.
Yup! God has allowed so much hurt and stuff into this world. How is that so different from the others?
As opposed to the Egyption gods, God is not indifferent to us. There is a reason for our suffering, our sin. We have all done evil things which have hurt God. If God were to abandon us the way we have abandoned Him, the world would fall apart. He sent His Son to die on the cross to take the penalty for what we have done. Because of this, we now can have forgiveness and eternal life, if we believe in Him. Most pytheistic religions do not explain why there are bad things in this world, though sometimes they say that is is because of the gods own pleasure.
I feel like if he's here, he neglecting us, and I so do NOT like that. Therefore I do not like God, or at least the christian version.
The world is a messed up place, regardless of which god you believe created the world.
The other versions? I don't know much about them, but Buddhism apparently (apparently, I said) is based on 'acquiring' 'points' in this world so that they can be rewarded accordingly in the next.
From my basic understanding of it, one suffers through life hundreds of times trying to reincarnate as something better than last time by acquiring good points, until at last one either becomes everything (now one can share in everybody's suffering) or nothing. That is alll I know about it.
God bless.
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
cookieninja
LEP Commander
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon 7th Sep 2009
Gender: Female
Location: At her dream concert :)
Contact:

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by cookieninja » Wed 17th Feb 2010

Visorak16 wrote:I did not say that they did not believe in them, only that they are false. Based on your expressed beliefs, you think that you can not know one way or the other, no offense. From my computer dictionary (I prefer my Webster one),
I Ssaid that they were not false. I said that they were every bit as true to the Egyptians as the Christan god is to you. Calling them false is not justifiable until we humans are in the position to KNOW. We do not know if they are FALSE or TRUE yet so calling them false is incorrect as calling your god false or true is.
cookieninja wrote:To Egyptians, their gods were not false as Christans, Jews, Hindus and Muslims believe their gods are not false.
Image
The best comedy around. Monty Python. Please, don't hesitate to look them up.
++++++++++
Number One Rule of the World wrote:Something goes wrong? Blame Pete Wentz.
Wentz not available? Blame Gabe Saporta.

Cookie Shamelessly Promotes Her Writing in Her Signature

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by Visorak16 » Wed 17th Feb 2010

Are we going to quibble about definitions? The Egyptians believed that their gods were real, but they were not.
I said that they were every bit as true to the Egyptians as the Christan god is to you. Calling them false is not justifiable until we humans are in the position to KNOW.
I have information from an omniscient source. I believe that I am in a position to know. You have not proven that we are not in a position to know.
We do not know if they are FALSE or TRUE yet so calling them false is incorrect as calling your god false or true is.
Following your logic, it is incorrect to call them not false, which is what you did.
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

Post Reply