(Would/Do) You Like God?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer

(Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by codeblackrose » Mon 18th Jan 2010

There is a thread for believing in God. There isn't one for if you actually like the Big Guy, that subject that not many people agree on.

Personally I don't like him. The bible version of him, anyway. I MEAN. He's angry? He blasts you. He doesn't like you? He blasts you!

But maybe being the heavenly being he is, he'll have self-restraint.

Then again, if he IS so powerful, whytf did he let us all suffer? Murder? As far as I know, he's supposed to be doing that to test our faith in him, but hey, let's not forget, that very same bible says he knows what we're going to do before we ourselves even know.

WTF???

The bible is conflicted. And don't get me started on the paradoxical thing of the 'beginning of time'.

At this point I am not sure if I dislike the bible or God.

...I have a feeling the Believers are not gonna be happy with me.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Re: (Would/Do) You Like God?

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 18th Jan 2010

Ehh.. I personally don't like the bible, because it messes with my beliefs. Mainly, the biggest debate with my friends is the beginning of time. I can't stand thinking this all powerful being created the entire universe/solar system. It's such cheese. I mean, God himself I don't really mind except for some of his descriptions in the bible. I hate the excuse ''because He doesn't want us to be robots''. Because technically if he knows all we're gonna do throughout our lives, we are robots. He just lets us go with the flow as He wishes, then. That's why I debate about the bible and not God. But, hey, that's just me.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer

Post by codeblackrose » Mon 18th Jan 2010

You know, basically I agree. God's just so ... infuriating. The Believers can say 'hey, he's a celestial being. You can't expect to understand him.' and there's nothing you can't do cuz they're so STUCK on their belief. Beginning of time? WHAAA???

This guy is Mary Sue. -> God.

ImageImageImage

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 18th Jan 2010

Mhm, and when you debate about God it's all based on opinions whether people like it or not. No one knows if God's the exact truth which is why I'm agnostic because I hate believing something that just sounds soo.. soo.. much like a fairy tail! So much like greek or egyptian gods and so on..
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Mon 18th Jan 2010

I have to agree, God is supposed to be the poster boy for order and harmony, and he doesn't do much to make sure that happens. Why make people you want to take care of, then punish them for a flaw you yourself possess? He was tempted to experiment, they were tempted to also. (there's a moral there, practice what you preach)

At least with other gods and goddesses they were more... realistic. Perfect examples of power gone mad, and disorder rather than keepers of balance.
Then you have God, nobody else powerful enough to question him at all. He has all these abilities the gods and goddesses shared between them and misused them. And also by saying that He's male, creates more chaos amongst the human population than good because its a downright statement men are dominant over women.
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer

Post by codeblackrose » Tue 19th Jan 2010

Men over women. Now that's got me riled up.

ImageImageImage

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Tue 19th Jan 2010

Actually, it never says in the Bible that men are dominant over women. It's like, it says that it's good for a wife to submit unto her husband, but that just means being respectful, pretty much.
(Also, there's a saying that I like; 'God created woman, not from Adam's feet to be walked on, not from his head to be dominant, but from his ribs--under the arm to be protected, from the side to be equal, and close to the heart to be loved'.)
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Wed 20th Jan 2010

I know, but the very idea that God is male, not an unknown gender, get's on my nerves above all.
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Wed 20th Jan 2010

I agree with Alanna

~HaTheAngel~

codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer

Post by codeblackrose » Thu 21st Jan 2010

Yes, but it also says it's fine for parents to give their daughters away in marriage.

ImageImageImage

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Mon 25th Jan 2010

Hello, cool new debate thread. I would like everyone to know that I mean everything I say in love (it's hard to tell over the internet). Okay, now let's get started.
Personally I don't like him. The bible version of him, anyway. I MEAN. He's angry? He blasts you. He doesn't like you? He blasts you!
God loves everyone. Yes, He get's angry (human emotions are based on God's emotions), at sin. God is completely righteous and cannot stand evil. Before he blasts anyone, they usually are evil even by human standards.
But maybe being the heavenly being he is, he'll have self-restraint.
You spelled a few words wrong. For God to ignore evil, He would have to be unjust, therefore He would be evil. You do not want an evil God.
Then again, if he IS so powerful, whytf did he let us all suffer? Murder? As far as I know, he's supposed to be doing that to test our faith in him, but hey, let's not forget, that very same bible says he knows what we're going to do before we ourselves even know.
The first three chapters of the Bible are explain why there is suffring in the world, because of sin. A great deal of human suffring comes from other people. The only reason why people die is because sin. God allows suffring for several different reasons. For believers, He sometimes lets suffring to strengthen their faith. God rewards those who suffer for Him, James 1:12 "Blessed is the man who persevers under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." Other times it is to bring them closer to Him. One thing we can be sure of is God does what is best for those who love Him. Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Sometimes, suffring is the only way to bring someone to eternal life. Yes, God does know what we are going to do. A lame analogy that I like to use its we looking at the tv guide. We know what is going to happen, but that does not mean that we make it happen.
WTF???
I hope I do not have to call the mods. People can interpret this as a really bad word. I just wanted to warn you before somebody else reports you.
The bible is conflicted. And don't get me started on the paradoxical thing of the 'beginning of time'.
Okay, you have one unsubstantianted claim, as a result I cannot deal with the accusation. As for the space and time problem, just because you do not understand something, does not make it not true.
At this point I am not sure if I dislike the bible or God.
It sound as if you dislike both. God loves you. Romans 5:5 "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners Christ died for us."
Ehh.. I personally don't like the bible, because it messes with my beliefs. Mainly, the biggest debate with my friends is the beginning of time. I can't stand thinking this all powerful being created the entire universe/solar system. It's such cheese. I mean, God himself I don't really mind except for some of his descriptions in the bible. I hate the excuse ''because He doesn't want us to be robots''. Because technically if he knows all we're gonna do throughout our lives, we are robots. He just lets us go with the flow as He wishes, then. That's why I debate about the bible and not God. But, hey, that's just me.
The first half of this is just opinion. As for your objection about free will, see my response above. Also, here is another analogy. Do you know anybody really well? After a while, you know what the person will do under certain circumstances. Does that knowledge mean that he/she has lost his/her free will? No, it does not. I think it is the same way with God.
You know, basically I agree. God's just so ... infuriating. The Believers can say 'hey, he's a celestial being. You can't expect to understand him.' and there's nothing you can't do cuz they're so STUCK on their belief. Beginning of time? WHAAA???
It is true that God's ways are higher than our ways, similar to the way that a loving parent's ways are higher than a child's ways, but there are some things we can know about God. His character is revealed in scripture. As for the beginning of time, again, just because you do not understand it, does not mean that it is not true. You either have to believe that time is eternal (which is not supported by science or the Bible) or God is. For more information see http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... nd-by-time This of course, brings up two important questions. Where did time come from, and what is time?
This guy is Mary Sue. -> God.
I thought that boy characters were called Gary Stue. Since God is the pinnacle of righteousness, goodness, and holiness, you are right to say that He is flawless. That does not warrent your disrespect, but really the opposite.
Mhm, and when you debate about God it's all based on opinions whether people like it or not. No one knows if God's the exact truth which is why I'm agnostic because I hate believing something that just sounds soo.. soo.. much like a fairy tail!
No offense, but I wonder what sort of omniscience allows you to know, that God cannot be known. I am not trying to be rude, but it would require some sort of supernatural power/wisdom to know that God cannot be known.
So much like greek or egyptian gods and so on..Mhm, and when you debate about God it's all based on opinions whether people like it or not. No one knows if God's the exact truth which is why I'm agnostic because I hate believing something that just sounds soo.. soo.. much like a fairy tail! So much like greek or egyptian gods and so on..
There are vast differences between God and the false gods of Egypt. The most obvious is the quantity, there is only one God, while there are hundreds of Egyption gods. Another difference is the power levels; God is all powerful, while the Egyption gods (according to legend) have limited power. The most important difference, however, is the morality of God vs. the morality of the gods. The Egyption gods kill, hurt, and usurp other gods. God, on the other hand is completely righteous, just, and merciful. For more information see http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... -great-god .
I have to agree, God is supposed to be the poster boy for order and harmony, and he doesn't do much to make sure that happens.
This claim is unsubstantiated. I claim the opposite, but I have a supernatural revelation to back up my claim (the Bible).
Why make people you want to take care of, then punish them for a flaw you yourself possess?
This is based on a faulty premise, that God has a flaw. Since this premise is untrue, the argument is not valid.
He was tempted to experiment, they were tempted to also. (there's a moral there, practice what you preach)
God creating the universe and Adam deliberately disobeying God are not analogous. By the way, practice what you preach comes from the Bible, James 2:26 "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."
At least with other gods and goddesses they were more... realistic. Perfect examples of power gone mad, and disorder rather than keepers of balance.
Then you have God, nobody else powerful enough to question him at all. He has all these abilities the gods and goddesses shared between them and misused them. And also by saying that He's male, creates more chaos amongst the human population than good because its a downright statement men are dominant over women.
More realistic than reality? The universe is actually very orderly. Every created thing (one exception spiritual elements, like angels and souls) obeys scientific laws (these laws are not always perfect, but they do give us some understanding as to how the world works). In fact, science needs the stability that only the God of the Bible can provide, Hebrews 1:3 NKJV " who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,". Other religions are either logically invalid or do not provide the sustaining element needed for science (uniformity). How does saying that God is male create chaos in the human population? It actually makes sense according to the Bible, Ephesians 5:24-25 KJV, "Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let wives be to their own husbands in everything. 25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it;". Since Jesus follows the pattern that He set for marriage in Genesis, it would make sense that He would be male (since God does not have a body, this is not refering to biological maleness). Women therefore have a unique position, special even, in the universe. Sometimes, I get a little jealous of women because they, being women, have an easier time following the pattern of the church. This passage does not say anything about women being submissive to men in general, nor does it imply male superiority. Actually in Galations 3:28 KJV, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male or female; for ye all are one in Christ Jesus." That cuts off the legs of racism, classism, and sexism.
Men over women. Now that's got me riled up.
Faulty premise, see above argument.
Actually, it never says in the Bible that men are dominant over women. It's like, it says that it's good for a wife to submit unto her husband, but that just means being respectful, pretty much.
(Also, there's a saying that I like; 'God created woman, not from Adam's feet to be walked on, not from his head to be dominant, but from his ribs--under the arm to be protected, from the side to be equal, and close to the heart to be loved'.)
I love that saying too, and it appears to be Biblical.
I know, but the very idea that God is male, not an unknown gender, get's on my nerves above all.
See above arguement.
I agree with Alanna
Here's a new link http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... r-or-equal .
Yes, but it also says it's fine for parents to give their daughters away in marriage.
As long as they followed the golden rule, which is a big part of the spirit of the law. It would have been immoral for the parents to choose a spouse for their child (we are not talking about babies here) that their child did not love or would be unhappy with. Besides, parents today are often involved in the wedding preparations. Ironically, I read somewhere that often the divorce rate of arranged marriages was significantly lower than today, even in instances where divorce was allowed.
God bless.
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 25th Jan 2010

Alright, /first/ to start ff many of what you are saying is opinions or verses from a book that we don't even know is true. You're yellingat us for opinions, no offense, look at your self. I didn't say I knew if there was no God or something, I'm saying we don't know what will happen in the underlife. I'm very skeptic and based upon fact. Who's to say the muslim's God is our God? Or christians? If it was only christian I'd probobly believe, but look around you at all of these religions. I personally don't like the fact that they throw in all those bible verses. Because I don't listen/beleive them that much. We are all speaking of opinion in this debate. (That was a bit off topic but I had to point that out) Also, HOW on Earth do you know if greek or egypt gods exist?

~HaTheAngel~

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Mon 25th Jan 2010

Hello, JHLxXxX, it's nice to hear from you again.
Alright, /first/ to start ff many of what you are saying is opinions or verses from a book that we don't even know is true.
I know that the Bible is true. Besides, the Bible is revelent to this conversation, since this conversation is about God.
You're yellingat us for opinions, no offense, look at your self.
I was not yelling at anybody. I specifically stated at the begining that I ment everything I said with love.
I didn't say I knew if there was no God or something, I'm saying we don't know what will happen in the underlife.
This does not take into account that most Christians do know what will happen in the afterlife.
I'm very skeptic and based upon fact.
What are facts? They are things that are true. How do you know that they are true. You seem adament that we can not know the truth about God, which begs the question of how do you know that we can know was is true about other things.
Who's to say the muslim's God is our God? Or christians?
There are several reasons why the muslim god is not God. This link gives a few of them, http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... s-writings .
If it was only christian I'd probobly believe, but look around you at all of these religions.
In some ways, this actually confirms what the Bible says. Romans 1:23 KJV says, "And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things." People have a god hunger, but they do not love God, therefore, they turn to false gods.
I personally don't like the fact that they throw in all those bible verses.
Are you talking about cults (religions based off of Christianity but different in significant ways)? They are the only false religions I can think of that would use the Bible.
Because I don't listen/beleive them that much.
No offense, but is that not a bit presumptuous of you, considering that you say you do not know that they are wrong.
We are all speaking of opinion in this debate.
Sure, but I do have a right to defend my opinion, as you have a right to defend yours. :)
Also, HOW on Earth do you know if greek or egypt gods exist?
It is a very simple deduction. I know (through faith, but confirmed by science, logic, and history), that God is who He said He is. He says that He is truth and that He does not lie (handy for believing in the law of non-contradiction). He also says that He is the only God there is. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that the gods of the Egyptions and the Greeks do not exist.
God bless.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 25th Jan 2010

I know facts are opinions, but you do not know exactly if your ''God'' exists. You just don't. Look, ''scientifically proven'' is another opinion. Every fact on earth is an opinion. Though people disagree with me, here's something we can work with in common. I never try to convice that God doesn't exist, but that He may not be the one, but greek muslim.. whatever. I know my beliefs can be wrong, heck God may exist, but I always question which is real. You never know, all these religions, including aitheist, satin, and others. I prefer the fact of someone that is not perfect, and if you say He is not perfect, look at your comments and tell me other wise, go ahead. And HOLD IT! How do you specifically know people jsut made up these Gods? The reason no one can truly proove physically that God exists is because the bible was written thousands of years ago, same with all the other religions. No one is able to know if it was just written as a cute fairytale and people shifted it to a religion. (Please don't gimma a history lesson if it starts with something you were taught in church, please don't. I have a tough time with priests.)

~HaTheAngel~

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Tue 26th Jan 2010

I know facts are opinions, but you do not know exactly if your ''God'' exists. You just don't.
I still do not know how you would know that.
You just don't. Look, ''scientifically proven'' is another opinion. Every fact on earth is an opinion.
Is that a fact? I do agree with you that we all interpret facts, but there are facts that do exist, regardless of how we interpret things. For example, some animals look alike. Depending on your worldview, you will interpret this phenomenon. Evolutionists will often (though not always) interpret this to mean they are related, but a creationist will interpret this to mean they have the same designer. Most things in operational science creationists, evolutionists and skeptics agree with, because they are observable and repeatable (unlike historic events).
Though people disagree with me, here's something we can work with in common. I never try to convice that God doesn't exist, but that He may not be the one, but greek muslim.. whatever.
Why? I am fairly sure that you would not be able to prove that.
I know my beliefs can be wrong, heck God may exist, but I always question which is real.
Just wondering, why would you bother to question if you believe that we can not know the answer?
You never know, all these religions, including aitheist, satin, and others.
I actually do know, but continue.
I prefer the fact of someone that is not perfect, and if you say He is not perfect, look at your comments and tell me other wise, go ahead.
I would never deny that God is perfect. I should mention that an immoral God does not make any sense, since morality comes from God. I thought that you disliked hypocrisy (which it would be for God to demand we follow different rules than Him).
And HOLD IT! How do you specifically know people jsut made up these Gods?
Well, the only other explanation is that they had a demonic experience.
The reason no one can truly proove physically that God exists is because the bible was written thousands of years ago, same with all the other religions.
That is not really the reason why. Actually, the reason that one cannot "prove" God exists is because He is the fundamental (the ultimate authority). If something were to prove that God exists, then God would not be the ultimate authority. However, axioms can be confirmed, which ours is.
No one is able to know if it was just written as a cute fairytale and people shifted it to a religion. (Please don't gimma a history lesson if it starts with something you were taught in church, please don't. I have a tough time with priests.)
One reason is that most of the books tell us that they are written by God (through human authors). Another question, why would you believe something that did not come from a church? Another reason is the context and the grammar structure (genesis and other historical books of the Bible are written as history, not allegory). God bless.