Persecution (Persecuting Christians)

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Re: Persecution (Persecuting Christians)

Post by JLHxXxX » Wed 2nd Dec 2009

HEY! THAT WAS TOTALLY UNECESSARY!! She's apologizing and you just totally cut her off! That's what the fruit she's talking about!!
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

partyonsoccerfan
Orion's Misfortune

Post by partyonsoccerfan » Wed 2nd Dec 2009

Hey, nutrino, your not better than anyone! We're all equel, no matter what you think. And if you still think your better becuase you don't have the same religious beliefs as Christians, that's sad. (And terribly mean!)
Take a look at me 'cause I could not care at all

Posf's quote of the week!
“No one should be in pain. Everyone should love themselves. Like I love you all.”
~Gerard Way

Part of the FG it Gets Better Project

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Fri 4th Dec 2009

Dear Debate thread,

This is not how one debates.
Debate Means wrote:# consider: think about carefully; weigh; "They considered the possibility of a strike"; "Turn the proposal over in your mind"
# discuss the pros and cons of an issue
# argument: a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal; "the argument over foreign aid goes on and on"
Are you thinking about things? Carefully weighing them? Providing solid arguments and considering them before arguing back?

Actually, more specifically, this is not how we debate.
Debate Forum Rules wrote:1 - Everyone has their own opinions. Before you step into a debate, you need to realise this. People are going to disagree with you, and will probably never agree. But more importantly, everyone has a right to their own opinions.

2 - You attack the idea, not the person. If you ever stoop to personal insults in here, you will be banned from the debate forum. And secondly, what is said in here, stays in here. No jabs etc. about debates will be accepted elsewhere on the forum.
Please try to make your case calmly and evenly and avoid irrelevant, misleading and cruel comments.

So please remember these things or the thread will be locked so that you cannot cause more drama. In fact, we can just ban you from the Debate Forum in general.

Thank you,
BlackOpal
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Post by The redeem3r » Fri 22nd Jan 2010

HollyShort9 wrote:Sometimes I think that Christians are some of the most persecuted people in the world today. Christians form the largest religious group in the world, yet we are the most ridiculed.

In the media, it is deemed acceptable to make fun of Jesus, but if you make fun of any other religion then it's not acceptable (as far as I can tell). How is this fair?

Of course it's only logical that Christianity is one of the most ridiculed religions of today. Christianity is like the bully in a playground of children (the other children being other religions). Christianity takes parts that it disapproves of from religions, and bashes it.

The Jews: This, I personally, is the religion that has the most justified reason to despise Christianity. Apart from their separate views of Jesus's place on this planet, Christianity has severely impacted Jewish history, rarely in decent ways.

For example, lets look back to the crusades, or better yet, Middle Ages times in general.

1. During the crusades, Christian followers literally volunteered to killed nonbelievers. When they attacked cities on the path to Jerusalem, they would kill the Jews and Muslims, without even ATTEMPTING to reason with them. Why? Most likely because they did not want to. They wanted to kill them for their own reasons. (Of course, this can be justified because many of the people fighting were illiterates, and did not know what the bible truly said. The popes simply read to them what they wanted them to believe. So, while the soldiers were massacring Muslims and Jews, they thought they were earning themselves a place in heaven, while, essentially, it was the exact opposite.) Nonetheless, the attacks were executed by Christians with power. (Pope)

2. Bubonic Plague - After endless search for a cure, they finally blamed the Jewish community. Why them? Why not merchants, or Muslims, or even peasants, whom lived in very unsanitary conditions? Simple. They didn't want to. They saw the Jews as inferior, and they thought they could over power them.

Things like the above make me wonder why Jews are still around. The religion has survived through endless massacres, so I'm think Christianity should not mind insults to their religion.

Christians are often mocked for believing in God, and not following commonly accepted scientific theories (e.g. Big Bang, evolution), but would they act the same if it was a Muslim or a Jew? Why are their beliefs respected, but ours are not?

So are every other religions =/

Christianity doesn't accept scientific discoveries, if I recall correctly, the Christian community heavily bashed the moon landing, saying it was a fib. Not just that, hundreds of more instances of scientific discoveries.

Also, the church locked Galileo up for life for sharing his beliefs. They thought that his ideas would interfere with their religion. In fact, his ideas weren't deemed acceptable to the Christian community until some time in the last 40 years.

In actuality, it's not their beliefs being mocked, it is just their actions and responses to scientific development.

Also, who said the Muslim religion is respected?

Muslims - They are stereotypically accused of being terrorists by so many people. I can't imagine the times I've gotten in fights because people are ignorant to facts, and they unknowingly bash religion.

I'm not saying that there aren't other groups that are also persecuted, but it just seems to me that people seem to ignore the persecution that Christians get. Does anyone agree/disagree?

In the end, I heavily disagree with you. I don't mean to offend you, but it seems as if you made this topic based on a biased point of view. All religions have their up's there downs, as well as friends and enemies.
Also, I just want to clear something up. It may be random, but I think it's important.

Atheism is not a religion.
If you actively disbelieve in God, you are an atheist. Atheism is a label, not a religion - you don't subscribe to it, you simply are or aren't.

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Tue 26th Jan 2010

Oof, I have to agree with Reedem3r. If I had lived back then I'd probobly be dead. Still, all religions get persecuted.. christianity..they probobly just don't want all that happening again. Rhode Island amost became a seperate state when they signed the consitution I believe, because they were terrified of loosing their freedom of religion.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~