Holiday Opinions

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Holiday Opinions

Post by p5ychic » Sat 14th Feb 2009

Continued conversation from another thread. Start with Valentine's day, and when it's over we'll switch to St. Patty's.

artymon wrote:
P5YCHIC wrote:
Kierisa12 wrote:HATE it???????? nah, you MUST'VE meant LOVE it. tsk tsk, what a nasty typo. :nope: :lol:

I have trouble with Valentine's day too, actually. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a box of chocolate that's fancy enough to give as a gift and not shaped like a heart?

Not to mention this kid at my school, Hispanic Edward Cullen (I can never remember his real name and I learned that when I say "Hispanic Edward Cullen" people automatically know who I mean) is making all us other guys look bad by buying his girlfriend this giant teddy bear covered in chocolates and balloons. How are we supposed to compete with a two-foot teddy bear? (My girlfriend replied with: Screw that, I can't eat a giant bear. I'm fine with chocolates.)

And of course it made me feel terrible before I had a girlfriend. All my friends were going out and buying things for girls while I... didn't.

Also, it's way too commercial. I mean, I like the sentiment, celebrate your significant other, so it's good for girls because guys will be happy just to be around the girl and to give her a gift, but the problem is that Valentine's day is such a competition for guys. Guys all feel the need to be the best possible boyfriend, and those who don't suffer the consequences. Valentines is so stressful on guys. I don't know how it is for girls, but for guys it's hell.

Back on topic, Thanks so much for this, guys!

No offense, but I think you should get your "significant other" what will please them, not turn the whole holiday into a competition to out-buy some guys whom you may never see again, least, zat is my opinion...*goes back in shell*

Luckily, my girlfriend has no interest in giant teddy bears and has informed me that she would prefer just chocolates. However, various other girls at my school, after hearing about Hispanic Edward Cullen's teddy bear gift, have exclaimed that they wish their boyfriends would do something that extravagant, and that they planned to yell at them later for not doing something like that. In most cases on valentine's day you're either the best boyfriend or the worst boyfriend. There is no middle ground. If you don't compete then you automatically lose, unless you have the greatest girlfriend in the world, as I do. However, competition is absolutely necessary for Valentine's day for the rest of the boyfriends of the world. Like, my friend told me she was going to give her boyfriend hell for not getting her a giant teddy bear covered in chocolates and balloons when she heard about Hispanic Edward Cullen's gift. If another guy outdoes you, you're usually in trouble. My spanish teacher, who was keeping it in her classroom for him, said that whoever dropped off the bear (she wouldn't tell us who, it was just word on the street who it was giving it out) was making all the other guys look bad, even her husband. Valentine's day is a competition.

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: Holiday Opinions

Post by BlackOpal » Sat 14th Feb 2009

Haha, that's funny. Because a girl at my school got sent flowers.
Some people were talking about it in math class, and they thought it was more embarrassing than cute. XD

I think that Valentine's is a stupid, commercialized, fake-holiday. But it involves chocolates, so who am I to complain. :)
I don't think that having a holiday to celebrate is necessarily a bad thing. As long as you don't buy into all of the ridiculous stuff the media sells you, you're fine. :D
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sat 14th Feb 2009

I agree with BlackOpal on the point that most of the stuff on TV you don't wanna buy.

And I agree that it is kind of overrated. It shouldn't be for competition, it should just be to show your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/daughter/son/etc. that you care about them. With something small. Like a small box of chocolates. Or a small vase of flowers.
You shouldn't go as overboard as a giant teddybear with chocolate and balloons all over it. Okay, well, it does sound cool, but still. A wee bit overboard.
So yeah, it's overrated, but at the same time, it should be kept as a holiday. That's my opinion.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Sat 14th Feb 2009

Still, statistically most relationships are broken on Valentines day, more then on any other holiday, my guess is that it's exactly that, the girl wanting too much from the guy, etc, etc... I myself don't HATE Valentines day, but I prefer the Walpurgisnacht to it :D

I love you guys :]

Meova

Post by Meova » Sat 14th Feb 2009

I actually have something against everything commercial, including V-Day. I mean, why should there be a day where people can say they love each other? Why not do it the entire year? Same with Christmas. Why suddenly think about peace on earth? It's better if you do in the entire year.
(Though, I do celebrate most of the holidays. I either kick against them, or I celebrate the Wiccan counterpart, IH.)
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

Star Jinin
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by Star Jinin » Sat 14th Feb 2009

I agree with Meova. Though I still say I'm not complaining after the chocolate haul I got this year XD I do hate how commercialized it is though. I think of Valentines day partly as a good excuse/chance to show how much you appreciate your significant other/family/friends...once I get a significant other, that is XD

I prefer Labor day. You get a day off with no obligations attached. I think it's a pretty sweet deal.
Smut solves EVERYTHING!! :D

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Post by Feandril » Sun 15th Feb 2009

[Pleased Statement]: Well... my significant other, luckily, has the same opinion as me. Stupid holiday made for people to fall for it and go on a shopping spree...

stupid materialistic people and the world they're creating...... >>
Place My Body On A Ship And Burn It To The Sea
Let My Spirit Rise, Valkyries Carry Me
Take Me To Valhalla Where My Brothers Wait For Me
Fire Burning To The Sky My Spirit Will Never Die!

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sun 15th Feb 2009

Feandril wrote:[Pleased Statement]: Well... my significant other, luckily, has the same opinion as me. Stupid holiday made for people to fall for it and go on a shopping spree...

stupid materialistic people and the world they're creating...... >>

That's why all my Girlfriend and I bought for each other was candy (and she made me a mix CD, it was really sweet!) and then we watched some movies together. It was a really sweet, inexpensive day.

Star Jinin
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by Star Jinin » Mon 16th Feb 2009

*looks at posts and cries*

Valentines Day should DEFINITELY be renamed as 'Singles Awareness Day' These last few days have just been depressing...I keep thinking I'm missing out EVERY Valentines Day...

I don't need to be constantly reminded that I don't have a significant other, thank you very much.
Smut solves EVERYTHING!! :D

Meova

Post by Meova » Thu 19th Feb 2009

I know how you feel, Star, I had the same feeling every single year. And now, I felt like I was forced into doing something sweet for my BF. Well, sorry, but that's not me. If it hadn't been our 3-month anniversary, I wouldn't have done anything. Now I just surprised him with a visit. (He downloaded Scary Movie 4 and I wanted to see it, IH)
V-Day might have started out like a nice holiday, but right now, it's commercialized and awkward.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

LollipopHolly
LEPretrieval Team Member
Location: In the 8th Dimension, where I rule. Where else SHOULD I be?

Post by LollipopHolly » Thu 19th Feb 2009

Valentine's day. I think personally the meaning of it has been lost (Just like with every other holiday) It's supposed to be about (I'm not trying to sound all weird or mushy here) Love. Not stupid chocolate or teddy bears. Sure it's nice to get the chocolate or bears but seriously speaking here, everything has become commercialized and just a hassle on valentines day. I agree with you P5, all it seems to be is a giant competition. Luckily we don't really have that at my school so much (Considering that all the guys in my grade and the school only make fun of the girls until they cry, or stop talking to them, or get so mad that they try to punch them.)

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sat 21st Feb 2009

LollipopHolly wrote:Valentine's day. I think personally the meaning of it has been lost (Just like with every other holiday) It's supposed to be about (I'm not trying to sound all weird or mushy here) Love. Not stupid chocolate or teddy bears. Sure it's nice to get the chocolate or bears but seriously speaking here, everything has become commercialized and just a hassle on valentines day. I agree with you P5, all it seems to be is a giant competition. Luckily we don't really have that at my school so much (Considering that all the guys in my grade and the school only make fun of the girls until they cry, or stop talking to them, or get so mad that they try to punch them.)

My thoughts exactly.
Sure, it's nice to show your "significant other" (bleh, I feel like I'm missing out too, but I haven't before now. Maybe it's cause I'm getting hormones.. dunno.) that you care, but the meaning has been lost. It's like "Oh I want chocolates now!" instead of "Let's show somebody we love we care about them". Most other holidays have been mangled, too. Like Easter. All the people care about is what are they gonna get from the easter bunny? And for Christmas-it's supposed to be Jesus's birthday, and not about presents, but it's been mangled. Now it's ALL about the presents.
Sorry, there was a little rant there...
but yes, I agree with Lolly.

It should be about love. Not a competition on who can get their girlfriend/boyfriend the biggest chocolate teddy bear.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

xox Miss Livia xox
Queen of Wonderland

Post by xox Miss Livia xox » Sat 21st Feb 2009

I mainly agree that Valentines is stupid. I don't want my boyfriend to do something over the top ubless he really wants too, but even then, I'll tell him He doesn't have too.

All I'd want is a massage and a big diamond ring:P

Nah, just for him to cuddle up with me, watch a movie with me and say "I love you" And really, truly, honestly mean it. That's all I'd want and need really.
"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say, "No, this is who I am". You want people to look at you differently? Make them! You want to change things, you're gonna have to go out there and change them yourself, because there are no fairy godmothers in this world." - Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time.
Welcome aboard, lads and lasses. Let's see what adventures await us...

Join me:
~My Art page~|~My facebook ~|

dishwasher
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by dishwasher » Sun 22nd Feb 2009

I agree with P5 that it's always a competition. And participation is necessary in MOST cases.
You never know who you will be
When you RP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-A6t3XKeo
Love of My Life - Declan Galbraith
This song is amazing.

Silvermist
Dwarf Thief

Post by Silvermist » Sat 11th Apr 2009

I think there is no need for a holiday to give a gift to someone you love. Valintines day is stupid, What's the reason? But i can agree with black Opal, the good thing that valintines day gives is Chocolate. Only time my friends will ever share sweets with me ^_^ .
Joshua 1:9
Hello people of the internet! You may call me Baylee if you wish, I'm a small town girl living in a lonely world, I do not take trains anywhere since new orleans terrain does not allow that (it will get swallowed up by the marsh land or get flooded, like my car did D:<

Meet my Husband <3
Ok I think I'm done here...