Judging people

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Judging people

Post by HollyShort9 » Sun 31st Aug 2008

Title says most of this. Anyways, here's my opinion:

Ok, I'm gonna use me as an example. I like Linkin Park and Rihanna and 2 rap songs who I don't know who they're by, but I'm a nice person. Anyone who knows me can tell you that. Should you judge me the second I say "I like Linkin Park's songs and Rihanna's songs" before you even get to know me? No, you shouldn't. Just because I like some rock and 2 rap songs, doesn't mean I'm a person you should avoid, does it? So I admit, a lot of bad people listen to rock and rap. Does that make me a bad person automatically? I think you already know the answer to that: no.I never let anyone in my family besides my aunt and 2 cousins know that I listen to 2 rap songs and Linkin Park, because almost everyone else in my family is against rock and rap. My parents would get really mad if they knew.

You see the example there? I'm not a bad person, I listen to Linkin Park, and almost everyone I know would hate me if they knew that because THEY JUDGE PEOPLE ON THE MUSIC THEY LIKE, THEY DON'T GIVE THEM A CHANCE.

So yeah, people with mohawks and lots of peircings and tattoos and things can look scary. People who like rock and rap can seem scary. People who like metal you might think "OMG THEY'RE A BAD PERSON" when lots of them can be nice. Don't judge them before you even know what they're like.

That is my opinion.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Meova

Re: Judging people

Post by Meova » Sun 31st Aug 2008

I agree with you too. Most people judge me when they see my necklace (it's a pentagram). And they find it weird that I don't hide the fact I'm a Wiccan. I'm not exactly shouting it out loud, but why should I make it a secret? I'm not doing anything wrong. But when people judge me, I usually point out why they shouldn't judge people, and they go away. My friends never judged me, not even when I converted to Wicca. I'm really happy about that :)
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sun 31st Aug 2008

Meova wrote:I agree with you too. Most people judge me when they see my necklace (it's a pentagram). And they find it weird that I don't hide the fact I'm a Wiccan. I'm not exactly shouting it out loud, but why should I make it a secret? I'm not doing anything wrong. But when people judge me, I usually point out why they shouldn't judge people, and they go away. My friends never judged me, not even when I converted to Wicca. I'm really happy about that :)

Wow.

People tried to judge you because you're Wiccan, which they knew because you were wearing the necklace? They didn't even talk to you and they just walked right up and asked "Why aren't you hiding the fact you're a Wiccan?" like that?

Again, wow. They got NERVE. (Not meaning to quote Hannah Montana.)
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Post by Feandril » Sun 31st Aug 2008

[Statement]: Oh come on... It happens all the time. You can never judge person 100% accurately. It's always how he/she looks, dresses, acts in certain situations, listens to and where he/she goes and who they hang out with.
People in certain Social groups have certain characteristics(for example Meova's pentagram.). If you recognize person's social group, it's quite normal that you have certain impression of them.

What you shouldn't let is that your first impression get's in the way of making friends. To me, it's more like what you can expect from a person and what they are like, but you definitely shouldn't let it get in the way of your final judgment...
Place My Body On A Ship And Burn It To The Sea
Let My Spirit Rise, Valkyries Carry Me
Take Me To Valhalla Where My Brothers Wait For Me
Fire Burning To The Sky My Spirit Will Never Die!

2bAgen.
Dwarf Thief

Post by 2bAgen. » Mon 1st Sep 2008

People judge me as weird because I don't have msn and bebo...
You should judge people on personality, not what they have.
Dahh... I have not been here in zonks.

Bet you don't remember me!

Meova

Post by Meova » Mon 1st Sep 2008

HollyShort9 wrote:
Meova wrote:I agree with you too. Most people judge me when they see my necklace (it's a pentagram). And they find it weird that I don't hide the fact I'm a Wiccan. I'm not exactly shouting it out loud, but why should I make it a secret? I'm not doing anything wrong. But when people judge me, I usually point out why they shouldn't judge people, and they go away. My friends never judged me, not even when I converted to Wicca. I'm really happy about that :)

Wow.

People tried to judge you because you're Wiccan, which they knew because you were wearing the necklace? They didn't even talk to you and they just walked right up and asked "Why aren't you hiding the fact you're a Wiccan?" like that?

Again, wow. They got NERVE. (Not meaning to quote Hannah Montana.)

They don't exactly know I'm a Wiccan then (at least, most people don't), but they sometimes come up and ask what I'm wearing or so. Or, if they really got nerve (which happened already quite some times, actually), they will try to convert me, since I'm wearing the devil's sign. And they don't exactly ask me first why I'm not hiding it, usually I just tell them casually about it, then they start to look really weird and ask: Why are you acting so.... normal about it? Anyway, that's a really good example in my opinion of how quick people can judge. That's what I like about this forum. You guys never really saw me, you only read my posts. You base your opinion about me on what I type, not how I look or what I do.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Mon 1st Sep 2008

Yeah. I mean seriously, I have another example here. There are two SUPREMELY mean girls I know from dance classes last year, Jacquline (I'm gonna call her Jackie cause it's hard to spell her name XD) and Christine. Well, they're really pretty, they're fashionable, the only piercings they have are 1 in each ear, they don't put their hair up in crazy styles. My mom saw them and went like, "Oh, those girls look like they're nice. Why don't you go talk to them?" before I met them. Now... I know just to avoid them. I walked up to them, introduced myself, asked them what their names are, and they didn't know there was anyone watching (my mom was watching and listening a few feet away) and they went like, "O.M.G., you're like, a year younger than us, we hate you," stuck their tongues out at me, and walked away.

See what I mean? My mom thought they would be nice because they didn't look like crazy people (no offense to the people who have the things I listed that Jackie and Christine didn't have), and they turned out to be the meanest girls in the WORLD.

I'm actually pretty happy that I only have Christine in one of my classes this year and Jackie isn't in any of them. They are SO RUDE. You wanna know what Christine said to make it so she would pass this year to Level 4 of dance classes, since this is her 3rd or 4th year in level 3 (you have to take level 2+ at least 2 years) to our teacher?!??! "Don't pay any attention if I fall, I do that alot." *smile*

They have little halos over their heads when they know someone is watching.... and they grow DEVIL HORRNSSSS when either no one is, or they think no one is.

Yep. Avoid Jackie and Christine as much as you possibly can. Don't say "Omg, you're judging them!" because I have had quite enough experience to know that.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Tue 2nd Sep 2008

Ive had so much experience of this kinda thing. I learned that block it out mostly at school, but the other night I was talkingg to my cousin and I happened to be wearing my black lipstick. I was also wearing a favourite top of mine which is black, so he says,
"Oh, Rachael you're going emo on us now are you. Let me check your wrist to see what you've been up to! *laughs hysterically* Next you'll be telling me you like My Chemical Romance!!" Then he walks away giggling. Now I would expect this from someone young but not from a 37 year old, married, father! Now that probably sounds like I'm judging him but I'm not. I know him very well, I know him better than he knows himself :lol:
It actually hurt me when he said that!! Later on I decided to give him a lecture on Emo and what emo actually was. He wasn't so clever then! :D