Tattoo's and piercings

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Wed 30th May 2007

TomRK1089 wrote:Actually, the truth is that with a tattoo, you never know if the needle was clean or not -- the donor may have Hep C. And you don't want Hep C in the blood supply. It's not that the donor is more likely to be an immoral person, more that they don't like taking chances.

Yeah, I was referring to the diseases and such, not so much on their morality [or lack thereof]. XD

BlackOpal wrote:
darvit wrote:
Moneyman2010mn wrote:I think Tattoos look unprofessional and if I was looking for someone to hire and they had a Tattoo, I would look at them in a more negative way.

Yeah, that's definitely true.

A person without a tattoo is more likely to get the job.

A reason why people with tattoos are usually rejected as blood donors is not that "their blood isn't clean because it's got ink." Actually, the real culprit is the popular belief that people with tattoos are more likely to take drugs, smoke, and have STDs and other such "blood impurities".

Injustice? You be the judge of that. :wink:

That's odd, because I thought that they tested the blood before you went in.
My mom was rejected because she took ibuprofen before she went, and they tested her blood and found that.

Yeah, I know they do, but on some facilities, they just frown upon the tattooed ones right away because they could have diseases and all. And of course, there's still that urban myth that claims that the ink would make your blood "dirty" and unacceptable for blood banks.
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by TomRK1089 » Wed 30th May 2007

Eastern Orthodox, eh? That's cool. :D

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by TomRK1089 » Thu 31st May 2007

Indeed, that's my POV as an ELCA Lutheran as well. Anything but the Bible can be fallable. And to be honest, the Bible is suspect in my POV as well, since there have been edits, revisions, et cetera...there's no definitive evidence or proof one can really rely on in the end.

domovoihappy
Dwarf Thief

Post by domovoihappy » Fri 1st Jun 2007

TomRK1089 wrote:Eastern Orthodox, eh? That's cool. :D

Yup! 8)

Yeah, I understand that the majority of Christians see the Bible as the only source of guidance. My church (which happens to be the "first" christian church) see's things in a different way. Some times there are modern issues that people ask about that are not in the bible(not specifically anyway). We believe the church has to make a decision on these things. It can take until after the person is dead for their teachings to be made acceptable. Usually , the bodies of these men and women are incorrupt, which is a common occurence with the holy fathers.

Moneyman, I definetely get what you are saying.
My church definetely isn't your mainstream christian church.
We have no pews. Our services are 3 hours long.
And we have none of that fired up, roof raising ,preacher talk.
No organ, no guitars.
Just voices, incense, hundreds of beesswax candles, icons,and a bell tower.
This is a picture of the first orthodox church I went to, In D.C.

domovoihappy
Dwarf Thief

Post by domovoihappy » Mon 4th Jun 2007

Moneyman2010mn wrote:Oh and nice picture! :)

Thanks! :D

Which religion are you? (if you don't mind my asking.)

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Tattoo's and piercings

Post by Meova » Tue 19th Aug 2008

I'm sure you've all seen your share of tattoo's and piercings. Recently, I've seen a woman somewhere who has about 4000 piercings in her own body, a world record. Now, in my family, we have a different opinion about these. I'm in favour of tattoo's and piercings, because I believe that you can do what you want to do with your body, and that these can have a certain effect (like healing, remembering something, etc.). However, my parents don't really agree, and say that you just mutilate your body for no reason at all. Since there are different sides to this, and no topic about it yet, I'd love to see the debate about this. Who's in favour, and who's against?
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

darvit
Council Member

Re: Tattoo's and piercings

Post by darvit » Tue 19th Aug 2008

I like your intro for this, but we do have a thread about tattoos on the Other sub-forum. I'll be moving it here and I'll find a way to merge the two without interrupting the flow.

If you want to go take a look, here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3148

It'll disappear once I merge the two, though.

/MERGED. [I wasn't able to keep Meova's intro on top, though. Oh well.

Continue the debate. ^_^
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

Meova

Post by Meova » Tue 19th Aug 2008

Ok, sorry, Dar. I searched for it, but I couldn't find a thread, so I thought there wasn't any. Sorry...
ImageImageImageImage

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Tue 19th Aug 2008

It's okay, it was kinda in the last page of the search results... XD

Anyway, to get back on topic:

I once entertained the idea of getting a tattoo, but I'm just very paranoid of getting infected with needles contaminated with HIV and/or other blood-borne diseases, so no thanks. I trust the hospital needles more because I see them open the syringes and stuff from the sealed sterile packages. On tattoo shops, I don't see autoclaves on display, so... no thanks.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Tue 19th Aug 2008

I wouldn't want to get a tattoo because

1: THEY HURT WHEN YOU GET THEM. (I'm a wimp XD )
2: My mom would KILL me. Then my dad would shoot me. Then my grandparents would beat the heck out of my dead body then... well, you get the picture. Yep, you guessed it, no one in my family is quite fond of tattoos. (No offense to people who are/have tattoos/etc.)
3: I'm not sure my church would be very happy with me...
4: If you want to get them removed, you have to go through a very very painful proccess.
5: I don't really like tattoos. (Again, no offense.)

I'm fine with people who like them/have them and things, but I wouldn't want to get one myself.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Post by Feandril » Tue 19th Aug 2008

[Statement]: Painting your body to reflect yourself can be a nice thing. You just have to watch out not to over-do it... too many or too large tattoos are not my taste really... and you need to choose something you can really see yourself wearing throughout your whole life. I might get one small one myself one day... dunno.

Don't like piercings much, though...
Place My Body On A Ship And Burn It To The Sea
Let My Spirit Rise, Valkyries Carry Me
Take Me To Valhalla Where My Brothers Wait For Me
Fire Burning To The Sky My Spirit Will Never Die!

Meova

Post by Meova » Wed 20th Aug 2008

Am I the only one here liking tattoo's, piercings, and also wanting them? I want a tongue piercing, and I want it for about... 3 years now. I also want a tattoo, a rose around my right upper arm, and I want that already for 2 years or so. And I'll wait until I'm 18 (which is still 2.5 years) until I actually get one of those. I think you should think these things over very carefully, because you'll be stuck with them for a long time. If you have done that, you should be able to get what you want. (Even though my parents won't be happy at all when I get a piercing or tattoo. Well, I'm an adult at 18 :D )
ImageImageImageImage

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Wed 20th Aug 2008

Meova wrote:Am I the only one here liking tattoo's, piercings, and also wanting them? I want a tongue piercing, and I want it for about... 3 years now. I also want a tattoo, a rose around my right upper arm, and I want that already for 2 years or so. And I'll wait until I'm 18 (which is still 2.5 years) until I actually get one of those. I think you should think these things over very carefully, because you'll be stuck with them for a long time. If you have done that, you should be able to get what you want. (Even though my parents won't be happy at all when I get a piercing or tattoo. Well, I'm an adult at 18 :D )

I'm not so keen on piercings, and probably won't live to see me getting one :D However tattoos I like, and might get one, but I'm still not sure what it will be. It will be something of great symbolic to me, and I'll probably be making it for months, as well as choosing the right place for it. However, that's not gonna happen 'till I'm not old enough, and probably until I move to my own place :D

I love you guys :]

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Wed 20th Aug 2008

I wouldn't mind a little tattoo. Something unique, you know? I think they're cool.
I think that it's gross when people are covered in them, though.
I'm too much of a wimp to get one. I'm not really afraid of disease. I'd be cautious about the tattoo parlor.
And they don't often have sterilization machines because, at least the ones I know, they open a new needle every time. They don't often reuse them, I don't think.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Wed 20th Aug 2008

BlackOpal wrote:I wouldn't mind a little tattoo. Something unique, you know? I think they're cool.
I think that it's gross when people are covered in them, though.
I'm too much of a wimp to get one. I'm not really afraid of disease. I'd be cautious about the tattoo parlor.
And they don't often have sterilization machines because, at least the ones I know, they open a new needle every time. They don't often reuse them, I don't think.

By law, they never reuse them, or the paint for the tattoo :D

I love you guys :]