Tattoo's and piercings

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Bang Your Drum
serial addict

will you ever or do you have a tattoo?

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sat 12th May 2007

yeah i plan to get one kinda like the peach in this pic
what about you?
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sun 13th May 2007

I'm quoting something I posted on another forum:
darvit wrote:I don't have a tattoo... I think. :?:

Well, here's the story.

Around three years ago, in class, I was playing around with my brand-new pigment pen [black, uni pin, water and fade proof, .2 tip] when I accidentally pierced my lower palm with it. :shock: So in my hand was a tiny black hole: with a mixture of black pigment ink and blood gushing out of it.

The wound has healed now, but there remains tiny yet faded black dot: a remnant of my carelessness. :lol:

Here'a s picture:

It really isn't a tattoo, but I guess in principle, it could be... I think.

And I won't get a real tattoo anyway. XD

I don't like the idea of getting tattoos. I don't want to mark my body with something I'll regret later on. The process of tattoo removal is very similar to self-torture, so no thanks.

I used to like the idea, though... and it has been a habit of mine to draw tattoo-like symbols on my friends' hands. Here's a friend's hand I drew on almost two years ago:
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 13th May 2007

hehe i met someone on some other board who had A Teenage Mutant Nija Turtle Tattoo :lol: i bet they will regret it later XD

MaeveCrowArtemis1
Council Member

Post by MaeveCrowArtemis1 » Sun 13th May 2007

I never planed to have tatoo.It's not very interesting for me but I do like to draw on my hands!!!!!!
Image Image
Blue is the colour,football is the game
we are all together and winning is our aim
so cheer us on through the sun and rain
cause Chelsea,Chelsea is our name

no. 1
Dwarf Thief

Post by no. 1 » Fri 18th May 2007

naw. apparently they sag with old age. and as i am planning to get old someday, i think i'll pass. I'm just gonna go with major peircings :P .
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Tue 22nd May 2007

I would if it wasn't for the pain, I'm a wimp.
I'd get something small and cute that I could hide, so once I got older I wouldn't have to let people look at it. A small heart of flower-type thing.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

_i_dont_get_it
LEPrecon Officer

Post by _i_dont_get_it » Thu 24th May 2007

I dont think I want to get a tattoo.
.....I'll stick to drawing all over my arms and hands.
because, they can't come off right? yeah, i'll probably get something really stupid that my grandchildren will look at and go: "WHAT THE HECK, GRANDMA?! WHY'D YOU GET THAT?!" Me: "i don't know!"
this girl i talk to at school wrote "KILL ME NOW." all over her hands.
o_0
i don't want to kill her! She's nice! :o
The volatile surrogate for the salubrious ambit of seizing any just and warranted seclusion from even the nighest beau monde.

domovoihappy
Dwarf Thief

Post by domovoihappy » Fri 25th May 2007

No Tattoos for me.
2 reasons:
I think they are extremely unbecoming.
My church doesn't allow it.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Fri 25th May 2007

Moneyman2010mn wrote:I think Tattoos look unprofessional and if I was looking for someone to hire and they had a Tattoo, I would look at them in a more negative way.

Yeah, that's definitely true.

A person without a tattoo is more likely to get the job.

A reason why people with tattoos are usually rejected as blood donors is not that "their blood isn't clean because it's got ink." Actually, the real culprit is the popular belief that people with tattoos are more likely to take drugs, smoke, and have STDs and other such "blood impurities".

Injustice? You be the judge of that. :wink:
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sat 26th May 2007

Moneyman2010mn wrote:Of course, I wouldn't look at someone differently if I recognized it as a cultural Tattoo like they do in Japan and other Asian countries.

i think i read somewhere that they accsited any tattos with gangs or the mob, i *think* i did

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by TomRK1089 » Sun 27th May 2007

darvit wrote:
Moneyman2010mn wrote:
A reason why people with tattoos are usually rejected as blood donors is not that "their blood isn't clean because it's got ink." Actually, the real culprit is the popular belief that people with tattoos are more likely to take drugs, smoke, and have STDs and other such "blood impurities".

Actually, the truth is that with a tattoo, you never know if the needle was clean or not -- the donor may have Hep C. And you don't want Hep C in the blood supply. It's not that the donor is more likely to be an immoral person, more that they don't like taking chances. And with all the sketchy tattoo parlors out there who likely reuse needles, I don't blame them. :?

Many of you are likely too young to remember this, but the same problem arose in the 80s during the beginning of the AIDS crisis, where homosexuals were sometimes barred from donating, since they were statistically more likely to have the disease. (Of course, this was before they even knew what they were dealing with.) Regardless, it's an interesting moral quandary.

domovoihappy
Dwarf Thief

Post by domovoihappy » Mon 28th May 2007

Moneyman2010mn wrote:There is a rule in the Bible that says you can't get a Tattoo? I'm asking since ultimately the Bible is the rule book not what the church says (not trying to start anything, just trying to understand).

The Bible isn't an only source for rules. Teachings of the Holy Fathers are also
referred to. The logic in my church is that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. We are not to draw upon them or pierce them.

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by TomRK1089 » Mon 28th May 2007

domovoihappy wrote:
Moneyman2010mn wrote:There is a rule in the Bible that says you can't get a Tattoo? I'm asking since ultimately the Bible is the rule book not what the church says (not trying to start anything, just trying to understand).

The Bible isn't an only source for rules. Teachings of the Holy Fathers are also
referred to. The logic in my church is that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. We are not to draw upon them or pierce them.

Holy Fathers -- you mean the Pope?

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Tue 29th May 2007

darvit wrote:
Moneyman2010mn wrote:I think Tattoos look unprofessional and if I was looking for someone to hire and they had a Tattoo, I would look at them in a more negative way.

Yeah, that's definitely true.

A person without a tattoo is more likely to get the job.

That's odd, because I thought that they tested the blood before you went in.
My mom was rejected because she took ibuprofen before she went, and they tested her blood and found that.

Well I wish I could find some statistics but I would bet that there are correlations between social status and the rate of tattoos for each group of people. (Maybe I'm wrong but I can't seem to find any statistics on this.)

You may be right, but I know a lot of Upper-Middle class people who have/are going to get tattoos. Not in the disgusting, I can't see real skin way, but a small wrist tattoo or something.
I can see why you'd imagine lower-class people getting more tattoos.

I think Tattoos look unprofessional and if I was looking for someone to hire and they had a Tattoo, I would look at them in a more negative way.

I think that's a little unfair. Even if their tattoo is small? I mean, looking uniform isn't everything, or even a big part of what I'd consider a good skill for the job.

There's a lot of stereotypes that come with tattoos, I guess that before you get one you have to accept that.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

domovoihappy
Dwarf Thief

Post by domovoihappy » Wed 30th May 2007

TomRK1089 wrote:Holy Fathers -- you mean the Pope?

No, I'm not catholic, so I'm not referring to the Pope. I'm actually Orthodox Christion.

Holy fathers I was speaking of: St. John of Krondstant, St. Theophan, The Recluse and The Elders of Optina, St. John Climacus - These are not all great men of power in the church. Many were simple parish priests and monks. They're writings hold weight in the Orthodox community, not because of their status or rank in the church, but because of the the way they live, love, and treat others.

After the scriptures, other books that are widely read and have acheived status as major secondary spiritual written resources are The Philokalia, The Ladder of Divine Ascent, My Life In Christ, The Way of the Pilgrim......

Sorry for the research paper. I guess next time a simple "no" will suffice:lol: