Gay Marriage

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Post Reply
User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by JLHxXxX » Sat 13th Feb 2010

I didn't read anything, I'm just gonna say what I think.

I think it's perfectly fine, really. You love who you love, and no one can change that. I, for one, am bi-curious (meaning I haven't dated any girls yet, but I plan on possibly doing so), and really, many straight people say it's ''bad, different, unusual'' what's wrong with different and unusual? I find nothing of the sorts in my opinion. You should live with who you love, same gender or not.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Visorak16 » Sat 13th Feb 2010

Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sun 1st Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham City
Contact:

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by p5ychic » Sun 14th Feb 2010

Visorak16 wrote:
Vi16 this borderlines on hate speech, acutally it is hate speech, which is not tolerated at all here. Also please remain on topic, thiss is the thread about giving gays the right to marry, not the right to be gay.
Since I do not hate anybody, I do not see how this can be hate speech. I was addressing the issues that other people have brought up. Furthermore, why is it that you can say that I am wrong, but I cannot say other people are wrong? Also, what I was talking about is directly related and valid. Lastly, according to the official debate forum rules I have a right to my opinion.
1 - Everyone has their own opinions. Before you step into a debate, you need to realise this. People are going to disagree with you, and will probably never agree. But more importantly, everyone has a right to their own opinions.
This is in fact 50% of the rules.
God bless.
Visorak. You are working my absolute last nerve. "The Bible says it, therefore it must be true" is NOT an acceptable argument anymore. You are entitled to your faith, but you also have to respect the faith of others. You do not have the right to use the bible as your only source of evidence. From now on, while your arguments are allowed to be influenced by your faith, you will need some logic or reason to back it up. Otherwise every debate turns into "Is god real?" and the whole system falls down.

So I'm instituting a temporary rule. I'll talk to BlackOpal and the other mods about it, and if they don't like it, we'll work out something new, and if they do, it will become the status quo. Your arguments must be backed up with logic or reason. Your faith can influence your arguments, but it cannot be your entire argument.

So from now on, no one can use the argument "the bible says it's wrong, therefore it's wrong," you have to explain WHY it's wrong, and give a logical reason for it.

User avatar
codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon 29th Dec 2008
Location: Aw... you cared enough to try and find out
Contact:

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by codeblackrose » Sun 14th Feb 2010

Completely agrees... with P5 *sighs*
JLHxXxX wrote:I didn't read anything, I'm just gonna say what I think.

I think it's perfectly fine, really. You love who you love, and no one can change that. I, for one, am bi-curious (meaning I haven't dated any girls yet, but I plan on possibly doing so), and really, many straight people say it's ''bad, different, unusual'' what's wrong with different and unusual? I find nothing of the sorts in my opinion. You should live with who you love, same gender or not.
Bi-curious? :D Sounds fun.

Okay, so basically what part of gay marriage is wrong? LOVE IS LOVE, don't kill it by taking away the marriage part just cuz those two are of the same gender. JLHxXxX I agrees so much. Same gender or not love is LOVE!!!

Man...
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Visorak16 » Sun 14th Feb 2010

You do know that there are different types of love, right? There is the love of God (worship), there is brotherly love (friends and family), general love (acquaintances and enemies) and the love between a man and a woman. Besides the biblical basis for right and wrong, there are all the health issues involved. STD's ring a bell for anyone? Abstinence until marriage to only one of the opposite sex is really the only way to go, both morally and hygienically.
God bless.
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 14th Feb 2010

Visorak16 wrote:You do know that there are different types of love, right? There is the love of God (worship), there is brotherly love (friends and family), general love (acquaintances and enemies) and the love between a man and a woman. Besides the biblical basis for right and wrong, there are all the health issues involved. STD's ring a bell for anyone? Abstinence until marriage to only one of the opposite sex is really the only way to go, both morally and hygienically.
God bless.
And straight people don't have to worry about STDs? Riiiiight.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Visorak16 » Sun 14th Feb 2010

It is extremely rare, most cases just involving bad hygiene. See http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v9/i1/homosexual.asp for more info.
God bless.
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by JLHxXxX » Sun 14th Feb 2010

ANY way you go can cause STD's, it's in human blood and so many other ways! What is so wrong with the same gender wishing to spend their lives with each other?

LOVE between a MAN and WOMAN? Are you saying that is the only possible way to LOVE? There has been true love between man and man, woman and woman, and so on for a long time! Love is one of our instincts to me, why does it HAVE to be the other gender? Why?
Abstinence until marriage to only one of the opposite sex is really the only way to go, both morally and hygienically
WATCH your general statements, PLEASE! Morally? What on earth do you mean by that? Hygienically? STD's, AID's, HIV, that's so common with straight people too! It doesn't matter what other way you do it, IT'S THERE!(Calming down now, I am literally attacking that idea to death XD) That is so mayjorly false. My ex's mother is married to a woman, they love each other DEARLY they're both absolutely healthy, and they're happy! That's all that matters! Not doing what is NORMAL! Normal is boring, plain, unneeded! If you want normal you'd need everyone to be exactly they same, it'd be in black and white, and we'd be like robots. NOTHING in the world is 100% normal. Humans aren't normal to each other, because we're all different. If we were normal there wouldn't be debates, there wouldn't be any other religions, at all.

Back unto subject, I will never change my views, I am bi-curious, which is mayjorly fun flirting with my best bi friend XD anywhoooo, gay marriage should have every right as black people marrying whites, or just the two opposite genders marrying! It is ''loving in holy matrony'' there is NOTHING saying ANYTHING about the opposite gender! except do you take blah blah as your wife/husband.

((Take me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't flaming.))
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
Meova
Fangathering Fever patient
Posts: 7628
Joined: Fri 28th Sep 2007
Location: Not sure, but I'm probably writing.
Contact:

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Meova » Sun 14th Feb 2010

JLH, it was attacking V16. Don't attack the person, just debate the opinions.

As to gay marriage - I'm all for it. I do live in the Netherlands (the first country in the world to legalize it) so it's normal for me. Maybe that's why I think the way I think.
But I do believe that people deserve the right to love who they want to love and to marry whoever they want. Male, female, or in between.
You can't force who you love. So why try? Only allowing male/female marriages is wrong in my opinion, you're discriminating a lot of people. Also, by saying homosexuality is wrong you're offending many. I myself are bisexual. I've a huge crush on a girl right now. Is that wrong?
Everyone should be allowed to marry the person they love. If they found true love, who are we to deny that?
ImageImageImageImage
Image
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

User avatar
Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon 20th Jul 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know :P

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Visorak16 » Sun 14th Feb 2010

ANY way you go can cause STD's, it's in human blood and so many other ways! What is so wrong with the same gender wishing to spend their lives with each other?
True, but it is far more likely with sexual immorality. The Bible tells us that God designed marriage to be for one man and one woman.
LOVE between a MAN and WOMAN? Are you saying that is the only possible way to LOVE?
No, did you not see my other posts? Marriage is for only a man and a woman, but there are non-sexual ways that you can love people you know.
There has been true love between man and man, woman and woman, and so on for a long time!
If they really loved each other, they would not tempt the other to live in sin.
Love is one of our instincts to me, why does it HAVE to be the other gender? Why?
Because that is the way that God designed it to be. You JHLxXxX claim to be an agnostic, correct? That means, that you believe that you cannot know the ultimate truth. Therefore, why are you so sure about this issue?
WATCH your general statements, PLEASE!
They are not generalizations, they are absolutes.
Morally? What on earth do you mean by that?
What do you mean by that? I mean that it is against God's laws.
Hygienically? STD's, AID's, HIV, that's so common with straight people too! It doesn't matter what other way you do it, IT'S THERE!(Calming down now, I am literally attacking that idea to death ) That is so mayjorly false.
Actually, it is not. Does anybody ever read my links which often have dozens of other references?
Back unto subject, I will never change my views
By most people's definition, wouldn't that make close minded/narrow minded?
You can't force who you love. So why try?
Technically, you can force yourself to love somebody.
Also, by saying homosexuality is wrong you're offending many.
People get offended all the time. By your logic, we should stop calling murder wrong, because it would offend murderers.
I myself are bisexual. I've a huge crush on a girl right now. Is that wrong?
According to the Bible, yes. All forms of lust are bad. Although temptation is not wrong, seeking out temptation and/or giving into it are.
Everyone should be allowed to marry the person they love. If they found true love, who are we to deny that?
You bring up an interesting point. By what authority do you make any moral claim? Just so everyone knows, I only joined this debate because somebody was spreading a false claim about the Bible.
God bless.
Image
Image
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

User avatar
p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sun 1st Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham City
Contact:

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by p5ychic » Sun 14th Feb 2010

Visorak16 wrote:You do know that there are different types of love, right? There is the love of God (worship), there is brotherly love (friends and family), general love (acquaintances and enemies) and the love between a man and a woman. Besides the biblical basis for right and wrong, there are all the health issues involved. STD's ring a bell for anyone? Abstinence until marriage to only one of the opposite sex is really the only way to go, both morally and hygienically.
God bless.
Straight people run the same risk of getting an STD as gay people. You're making the assumption that all gay people are having promiscuous sex with all the other gay people, and that if you're gay and you don't have an STD, you will someday. However, I've met many gay people, and from what I've seen, gay relationships are just like straight ones, with the exception of the genitals of the participants. They go out on dates, they get to know one another, they fall in love, and if they really feel connected, they have sex. There are, of course, the really promiscuous gay people, but there are also really promiscuous straight people. The only difference between a gay person and a straight person is what turns them on. If you have a thing for blondes, but I'm more into brunettes, there's no problem with that. So if you're into chicks and another guy is into dudes, leave him alone. It's his business, not yours, and he's not hurting you by falling in love with a guy. The couple isn't hurting anyone else by being together. And morals are relative, which means something which you think is wrong could seem right to them.

Speaking of which, you also seem to be operating under the assumption that gay people CHOOSE their preferences. I'm afraid of spiders, but I can't choose not to be. I enjoy the taste of Coca-Cola, and I can't change that. Gay people are into people of the same sex, and they can't choose anything different.

Also, this is not a thread about abstinence. If you want to talk about that, please find the appropriate thread.
Visorak16 wrote:
There has been true love between man and man, woman and woman, and so on for a long time!
If they really loved each other, they would not tempt the other to live in sin.
Love is one of our instincts to me, why does it HAVE to be the other gender? Why?
Because that is the way that God designed it to be. You JHLxXxX claim to be an agnostic, correct? That means, that you believe that you cannot know the ultimate truth. Therefore, why are you so sure about this issue?
WATCH your general statements, PLEASE!
They are not generalizations, they are absolutes.
Morally? What on earth do you mean by that?
What do you mean by that? I mean that it is against God's laws.
Hygienically? STD's, AID's, HIV, that's so common with straight people too! It doesn't matter what other way you do it, IT'S THERE!(Calming down now, I am literally attacking that idea to death ) That is so mayjorly false.
Actually, it is not. Does anybody ever read my links which often have dozens of other references?
Back unto subject, I will never change my views
By most people's definition, wouldn't that make close minded/narrow minded?
You can't force who you love. So why try?
Technically, you can force yourself to love somebody.
Also, by saying homosexuality is wrong you're offending many.
People get offended all the time. By your logic, we should stop calling murder wrong, because it would offend murderers.
I myself are bisexual. I've a huge crush on a girl right now. Is that wrong?
According to the Bible, yes. All forms of lust are bad. Although temptation is not wrong, seeking out temptation and/or giving into it are.
Everyone should be allowed to marry the person they love. If they found true love, who are we to deny that?
You bring up an interesting point. By what authority do you make any moral claim? Just so everyone knows, I only joined this debate because somebody was spreading a false claim about the Bible.
God bless.
This is against the rules, pretty much this whole spiel you've got going here. The new rule is that your argument can't be "Because God Says So." You have to give logical, earthly reasons why something is right or wrong. I have the power to ban you and will not hesitate to use it.

User avatar
xox Miss Livia xox
Queen of Wonderland
Posts: 7099
Joined: Sat 8th Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Location: A shrouded ship, disappearing upon the sea.

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by xox Miss Livia xox » Sun 14th Feb 2010

Personally, I think the Bible is full of Bull*shit whe it comes to everyone's daily lives, but I won't dig into this.
I, personally, have a gay friend, and a bi friend. And you know what? My guy friend is perfectly happy! He's safe! Using a condom for protection helps, and you don't necesarrily have to be abstinant until marriage. Look at Mary, Abstinence is only 99.99% foolproof :D
I agree with JLH. You love who you love. You can't change a person. If the female anatomy creeps a guy out and he wants to be gay, so be it! Let him be. He loves his boyfriend, looks after him, then let him be happy. Just because you don't approve of him or his ways, or you think the "Bible" says so, does not mean you're right.
Welcome to humanity. Accept everyone for who they truly are, and honestly, life will be better.
"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say, "No, this is who I am". You want people to look at you differently? Make them! You want to change things, you're gonna have to go out there and change them yourself, because there are no fairy godmothers in this world." - Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time.
Image
Image
Welcome aboard, lads and lasses. Let's see what adventures await us...

Join me:
~My Art page~|~My facebook ~|

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by JLHxXxX » Sun 14th Feb 2010

^Though that may never be possible.
Because that is the way that God designed it to be. You JHLxXxX claim to be an agnostic, correct? That means, that you believe that you cannot know the ultimate truth. Therefore, why are you so sure about this issue?
When did I say I was so sure about it? You're basically saying marriage HAS to be between man and woman, don't switch it onto me >.<
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
xox Miss Livia xox
Queen of Wonderland
Posts: 7099
Joined: Sat 8th Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Location: A shrouded ship, disappearing upon the sea.

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by xox Miss Livia xox » Sun 14th Feb 2010

And not to mention, Abstinence doesn't have to be the case. You may as well experiment as long as there's trust and a connection between the two people, and they're legal and SAFE about the matter.
"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say, "No, this is who I am". You want people to look at you differently? Make them! You want to change things, you're gonna have to go out there and change them yourself, because there are no fairy godmothers in this world." - Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time.
Image
Image
Welcome aboard, lads and lasses. Let's see what adventures await us...

Join me:
~My Art page~|~My facebook ~|

User avatar
p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sun 1st Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham City
Contact:

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by p5ychic » Sun 14th Feb 2010

xox Miss Livia xox wrote:And not to mention, Abstinence doesn't have to be the case. You may as well experiment as long as there's trust and a connection between the two people, and they're legal and SAFE about the matter.
Quoted for truth.

Remember the rules, Visorak. Just a reminder. And it's looking more and more like my temporary rule will become a permanent rule, which means if you break it, I can and will ban you.

Post Reply