The Bible

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Sun 14th Jan 2007

I know we have a bunch of topics on religion, but this is a different aspect.

The Bible is the biggest bestseller ever. It is a book to tell God's word, there is the New Testemet and the Old. (I know I can't spell). Some people take every word as the truth, other's interpret it as a story with a moral, a deeper meaning, but a story that may not actually be true. Some people just say it is full of Baloney, and is completely made up. What do you think?
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 14th Jan 2007

You never said what you thought, BlackOpal.
Last edited by MMK on Fri 20th Apr 2007, edited 1 time in total.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Sun 14th Jan 2007

MMK wrote:
You never said what you thought, BlackOpal.

I know, I don't like opening up a debate with an opinion.

I think the bible definately shouldn't be taken literally. A lot of it contradicts itself because it was written from different persepectives.
I believe in God, but I don't think that the Bible is necessarily God's word. I think it has rules that were based on that time period, and I believe most of them have good intentions, but some of them I don't think work.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sun 14th Jan 2007

Moneyman2010mn wrote:"...In fact, the current Bible is not even complete. Many books have been deleted in order to preserve the church's power. The most glaring purge was at the Ecumenical Council at Nicaea in 325 ce...."

Oh yeah, I think the banned books were called the Apocrypha [just trying to recall stuff from religion class]. There were many many "Gospels", but not all of them were consistent with the Church's teachings. Like there was one gospel that said that Eve was Adam's second wife, and his first wife, Lillith was evil and thus became the mother of ghouls and the undead [and then the all-female rock festival, the Lillith Fair, was born XD]. That book was banned because it isn't consistent with the teachings formed in the Council of Nicaea.

I know that the Church is far from perfect and its past is far from Holy [more political than religious at times], but I do respect and believe in the Faith itself. Personally, I believe that there is truth in the Bible. As you all have said, we just shouldn't take it too literally [there are a few Christain religious sects who do take it literally and so they end up doing ridiculous things :(].

For instance, we have the debate about the Evolution Theory vs. the Biblical Creation story. I think that these two accounts may go hand in hand: the Seven Days in the Creation story symbolize the millions of years involved in the earth's formation and evolution, and "Let there be light!" could've been the "Big Bang" itself. Jesus Christ is widely recognized as a historical figure, and archaeological evidence along with written accounts in other religions have been found supporting the "Great Flood [Noah]" Bible story.

I also think that no matter what happens, the Bible would be interpreted differently by everyone so there's no use telling others how to interpret it. Human minds have written the Bible, and yeah, they could be blessed with Divine Inspiration, but I guess we'll never know.
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

Minerva_Paradizo
LEP Commander

Post by Minerva_Paradizo » Mon 15th Jan 2007

i dont think its right. i try to avoid reading it as it confuses me. people say its help them with there life but i find no relevence.

inkweaver
Dwarf Thief

Post by inkweaver » Sat 27th Jan 2007

yeah, the bible is all good, but i had to get like a kiddie version to understand it. and jesus talks in code all the time, aka parables, which make me even more confused than before... it's generally a good collection of books.

for anybody that wants to give it a test drive, try reading Proverbs, Ecclesiatses, and Ephesians. Revelation is cool too. And if you have any questions i'll be more than happy to answer. :D
You're warned...
*cackles*

I EAT A/M SHIPPERS FOR BREAKFAST! MUAH HA HA!
AND LUNCH.
AND TEATIME.
AND SUPPER, DINNER, MIDNIGHT SNACK, ET CETERA.

they taste distgusting because of the false shipping that poisons their blood.

but it must be done.

And, no, I don't want another penguin! gosh...

ElisabethHall
Dwarf Miner

Post by ElisabethHall » Mon 5th Feb 2007

I remember getting slightly embarrassed because I still used Good News till last year. 'Twas the part with Daniel's friends and mine said 'angel' while everyone else's said 'son of man'. I asked the speaker and he was like, oh no, that's a different translation, dear, you have to upgrade already...' Got a new Bible quite soon after that!

Revelation boggled me, partly because I was reading it during service so half my mind was listening to Galatians and the other half reading Revelation, though I would totally give up trying if mine didn't have explanations.

I know that the Church is far from perfect and its past is far from Holy [more political than religious at times], but I do respect and believe in the Faith itself. Personally, I believe that there is truth in the Bible. As you all have said, we just shouldn't take it too literally [there are a few Christain religious sects who do take it literally and so they end up doing ridiculous things sad.gif].

Agree. It is a bit sad how in Luther's days everyone was manipulated by their faith in the priests. :-(

I think it's a really interesting collection, if you're just starting out you can flip through and read it like a story spanning many generations, and you can also come back later and really read into it.
Of all things, I didn't come on to FG to see my name displayed in the pretty Birthday Box. :-( Now I'll have to wait till next year.

Iridescent
Troll

Post by Iridescent » Mon 5th Feb 2007

The bible is complete truth, but it is interpreted wrong sometimes, thats why there are so many religions, they live by what THEY believe is the true interpretation.
Im not a religion expert, or a person expert, but people are error prone, they can misinterpret things easily.
(I'm not saying people are stupid either) We aren't perfect. :)
^_^
If at first you don't succeed, TRY to hide your astonishment

no. 1
Dwarf Thief

Post by no. 1 » Tue 6th Feb 2007

I think the Bible is many things. It lets us appreciate our world and the gift that is Jesus, by giving so many rules that we could see how much work we had to do to live up to God's expectations. It is probabally not a complete account of what truly happened, though. Remember, the books were written by people, for people. So it's centered around the relationship God has with people. However, this said, the books all support eachother and there is no way that so many people got together in a huge conference and made up a story together. Also, another fact that can be taken as proof that there really was divine intervention in writing these books is that in revelations, John predicts a large star hitting the earth and contaminating the water supply, called Wormwood. In 1986, one of the nuclear reactor in Chernobyl, Ukraine, experienced an accident (widely regarded as te worst nuclear accident in history). The fallout was enormous, the water contaminated and the area evacuated because it was unsuitable for living. Chernobyl, when casually translated into English, means Wormwood.

So, no, I don't think we should take the Bible completely literally. But we should see the truth that is written there.
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

no. 1
Dwarf Thief

Post by no. 1 » Thu 15th Feb 2007

Did I kill this debate or something? I'm sorry.
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 15th Feb 2007

No, I think we've just all said our opinions and can't counter without repeating ourselves.

inkweaver
Dwarf Thief

Post by inkweaver » Sat 17th Feb 2007

BlackOpal wrote: No, I think we've just all said our opinions and can't counter without repeating ourselves.

egg zact lee.
You're warned...
*cackles*

I EAT A/M SHIPPERS FOR BREAKFAST! MUAH HA HA!
AND LUNCH.
AND TEATIME.
AND SUPPER, DINNER, MIDNIGHT SNACK, ET CETERA.

they taste distgusting because of the false shipping that poisons their blood.

but it must be done.

And, no, I don't want another penguin! gosh...

sorana
Dwarf Thief

Post by sorana » Sun 18th Feb 2007

I think the Bible tells the truth.Jesus came on Earth so this is a prove of christianism.
no sence at all.

Eragon_rox
LEP Recruit

Post by Eragon_rox » Sun 18th Feb 2007

my bible is eragon, lol.

no. 1
Dwarf Thief

Post by no. 1 » Mon 19th Feb 2007

Actually, moneyman is right. The muslims also believe that Jesus lived, they just don't believe he is the saviour.