Is God Real?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Post Reply
User avatar
Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 805
Joined: Tue 22nd May 2012
Gender: Female
Location: My castle on a cloud

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Skyswallow » Mon 17th Dec 2012

However, you'd think that if God trusts us enough to let us make our own decisions as to what to do with our life -- before we were born -- then you'd think that He would trust us enough to let us know how all these omnis work out... And also isn't evil from the Devil and the snake thing and the original sin?
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Is God Real?

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 17th Dec 2012

Ash Kelp wrote:
artytwin wrote:We can predict very few things, and only things in the near future. But for example, you don't know if you're going to break your leg sometime, or if your going to get married ect. Those, God does know.
Fun fact: Most people who believe in god believe that god doesn't know what's going to happen, he waits and sees what you do, whether you're naughty or nice. And then he acts based on that. So saying that god has pre-knowledge is about the same as saying that santa knows what he's going to get you before you're even born.
And that's technically predestination.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
Randomosity
Troll
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu 7th Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Location: I'm stuck in my computer! If you are reading this, find me! I'm filed under "Randomosity"

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Randomosity » Sun 23rd Dec 2012

If God is real then why did he give humans a combination of ruthlesness and brains? And why create the earth? He has not stopped starvation etc, so is he working on another project or what? Is God inside of us? Can someone please answer, because I am completly confused about everything.
(FAVRIOTE QUOTE)I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned Image
This sigge was made by Sara. THANK YOU!!!
Avvie made by skyswallow. THANK YOU ALSO!!!
There is no freedom, just different levels of bondage
Remember that all opinion is an view about the world. Find a place to stand.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON
Alcohol. the solution- and cause- of all life's problems
ASDF movies are awesome and so are Eddsworld and the TomSka movies. Also Rest In Peace Edd Gould your world will keep on spinning.
COFFEE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND!!!
COFFEE IS IN MY SOUL!
COFFEE IS MY SOUL!

Coffee addiction? Nah.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Is God Real?

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 28th Dec 2012

Randomosity wrote:If God is real then why did he give humans a combination of ruthlesness and brains? And why create the earth? He has not stopped starvation etc, so is he working on another project or what? Is God inside of us? Can someone please answer, because I am completly confused about everything.
We do stuff like this in RE andireallyshouldknowwhatitscalled where things don't happen which people believe would happen. Once we prayed for something to happen, and in the next lesson we would see if it happened... The thing is, when people prayed for war to end, there was a cease fire...

But mostly what you're saying is belief, I think... You just have to believe that he will... There are so many things which could prove he is not real, but you can always believe if you want... And you can believe God is inside us, there is no answer (well, I don't think so because people can believe)... And evolution was from monkeys (apparently) so, maybe he didn't mean to create us or something and that the monkeys evolved to us... I am going a bit crazy now, though. XD

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Is God Real?

Post by JLHxXxX » Fri 28th Dec 2012

^^There are ideas like that. However, that goes way against the bible.

Here's the thing... many people believe in what they see. Believers of ghosts only happen sometimes when they truly see a ghost or experience something paranormal.

Belief is not truly what the eye can see. In all reality, how you see yourself is your belief. You will never see yourself without a backwards reflection or biased opinions.

God cannot be seen, touched, felt, etc. He can be experienced, I suppose, if you believe in him. I disagree with people making religion the go-to in peril, for if it's not desperation, than it could be disrespect.

God did not want robots roaming the earth. That's boring, yes? He gives every single human being a chance to be in worth for Heaven, and some steer from His path and towards... unpleasant things.

Do you know the story of Adam and Eve? They were tempted and ate the Forbidden fruit, in short. They were given everything. Food, water, luxury, it was Paradise. However, curiosity won out and God punished them. They had to work to survive and life would not be simple and perfect. That is why He would not end starvation and whatever else plagues this world. He will if you ask Him, love Him, respect Him. But I doubt that He would just do anything for us "greedy" humans who wanted to be too much like God.

Remember, in many beliefs, humans apparently could not get into Heaven until the Lord Jesus convinced God to let them in through prayer and belief. He granted mercy upon the humans.

Some of that may be slightly wrong. I don't believe, but that is what I have learned from people, history, and the Bible. But that should answer your question. Belief is what you find to be true, not what necessarily is *true* to everyone else.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Is God Real?

Post by world is quiet here » Sat 29th Dec 2012

Randomosity wrote:If God is real then why did he give humans a combination of ruthlesness and brains? And why create the earth? He has not stopped starvation etc, so is he working on another project or what? Is God inside of us? Can someone please answer, because I am completly confused about everything.
I'm gonna answer this better now.

According to the Islam holy book (Qu'ran(?)), they are filling in the things that other religions (mostly aiming at Judaisim, Christianity) missed. [quote from the Qu'ran]
A man can take a twisted line to justice, or a straight line to sin.
It was something like that, we did Islam last term in RE, and that was what we looked at.
So, that's saying that you are able to be good. God can lead you to justice, but you have to do it yourself.

And this is where *some* atheists get angry and say that religion does nothing for anyone but start wars, and you might as well get someone to tell you to be /good/ because it's the same.

But religious people gain benefits from being religious, I can tell you.

When one of my relatives was ill, people prayed for her at church. You have to say, people praying for you to stay alive must be a pretty good feeling. And also, this person survive. So you could say that people praying for her saved this person.

User avatar
Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 805
Joined: Tue 22nd May 2012
Gender: Female
Location: My castle on a cloud

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Skyswallow » Sat 29th Dec 2012

^Last year we did 'prayer' in RE, and we watched a clip of a study as to whether praying actually helps people get better. And it didn't have an effect. But yeah, it must be a pretty good feeling...
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

User avatar
Randomosity
Troll
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu 7th Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Location: I'm stuck in my computer! If you are reading this, find me! I'm filed under "Randomosity"

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Randomosity » Mon 31st Dec 2012

I remember watching that video....
Thanks for answers :)
(FAVRIOTE QUOTE)I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned Image
This sigge was made by Sara. THANK YOU!!!
Avvie made by skyswallow. THANK YOU ALSO!!!
There is no freedom, just different levels of bondage
Remember that all opinion is an view about the world. Find a place to stand.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON
Alcohol. the solution- and cause- of all life's problems
ASDF movies are awesome and so are Eddsworld and the TomSka movies. Also Rest In Peace Edd Gould your world will keep on spinning.
COFFEE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND!!!
COFFEE IS IN MY SOUL!
COFFEE IS MY SOUL!

Coffee addiction? Nah.

User avatar
artyroxtothecore17m
Dwarf Miner
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed 29th Dec 2010
Location: home.

Re: Is God Real?

Post by artyroxtothecore17m » Sat 29th Jun 2013

duh! GOD is Duh real!!
Umm, don't know what to say.

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 30th Jun 2013

artyroxtothecore17m wrote:duh! GOD is Duh real!!
What is your evidence to support this claim? You seem pretty sure of it.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed 4th Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Ash Kelp » Fri 12th Jul 2013

Here's an interesting trail of logic that basically could go either way, but it's still interesting.

If God was real, he would probably have made us perfect, than Eve would never have eaten the fruit and there wouldn't be death. However, if God decided that he wouldn't us to be imperfect to enjoy life as well as we could (That's the only reason I can think of), you'd think that he wouldn't flood the world because bad people and things rose anew. Also, I think that God would want people supporting their beliefs, not be forced into believing something no matter how true or false. So he probably would accept that people think what they want to, and that a "Goodness" of a human being should be based on how well they remain loyal and think what they think. To me, believing is having something proved logically or mathematically, so I "believe" that there isn't a god, and I try to support that "belief". So I understand it when people remain loyal to their beliefs, no matter how incorrect I think them. But I will still speak for my believes, and if God doesn't like that, he shouldn't have put me here.

BTW, I thought God hated murder, yet there are plenty of cases of murder in god's name, "Gods don't kill people, people with gods kill people".
Image
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

User avatar
Solinium Pulse
Troll
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed 7th Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Solinium Pulse » Tue 27th Aug 2013

If God created the Sun on the fourth day, then how had four days passed?

Personally, I think that God was imagined as an explanation for why things happen.

The Mayans worshipped gods, each with their own purpose.

And no one believes in them.

This was because their religion wasn't as popular and didn't last long enough to be spread around the world long enough.

I bet if this had happened to Christianity, Islamism, Catholicism, etc., no one would believe in Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah and/or "God".

If religion was supposed to keep men from sinning and evil, then why has it caused so much?

Because man, over time, changed it for selfish reasons that suited themselves.

I for one, do not support such a cause.

The Wicca Rede [modified for understanding]: "Do what you will, so long as it harms none."

If everyone just followed that, and used common sense, then life would be better for all.

I pray to nothing but truth, wisdom, and justice. That is my religion.
Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

User avatar
shaadia cader
Gnome
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat 26th Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Location: The Kingdom of Weird. If you can't find me there, simply check Sri Lanka.

Re: Is God Real?

Post by shaadia cader » Sat 14th Dec 2013

Of course God is real. Who made the sun, the moon, the stars, the galaxy and us?!
Image

--Shaadia Cader, Princess of weird, Commander of Boncus, leading General in the Anti- punctuation mark army and Heir to the Throne of Insanity.

I am the (not so) lovely Princess of Eternal Weird, I'm (not so) graceful and (not at all) feminine, and I (never) wear ball gowns. My favorite color is (SO NOT)pink and I (well this one's true at least) love cats.

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 15th Dec 2013

shaadia cader wrote:Of course God is real. Who made the sun, the moon, the stars, the galaxy and us?!
The sun is a star. Stars begin their "lives" as nebulas and bits of helium and and hydrogen clump together and form a star. Stars shine because thermonuclear fission is happening at their center. Making heavier elements like sodium and nickel. A star "dies" when it's used up most of the hydrogen and then releases the remaining helium and hydrogen into space, along all those heavier elements which float around and then slowly form solid masses and start to rotate a central star (a solar system). Scientists theorize the moon was made when another large mass collided with the earth and knocked off a chunk which now is a natural satellite.
One could speculate the first beings on earth were no more than a jelly like substance struck by lightning. You could also say our earliest ancestors came here on another rock/asteroid.
But you can always get back to what made it so nothing really dies/perishes/goes way. Why does our universe comply to the law that nothing can be created or destroyed?
I was not raised with any particular religious influence (we've never been a member of a temple or a church or anything) I did go to Quaker School for seven years and that (along with my flower children parents) instilled values of non violent resolution and that all people are equal and they should all be treated fairly. I don't really feel morality depends on whether their is someone keeping score on their actions, but the very core of ones' being.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
Solinium Pulse
Troll
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed 7th Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Is God Real?

Post by Solinium Pulse » Tue 17th Dec 2013

Well, I'm an open-minded person, I'm willing to believe anything that has proof that it exists.

Mainly, though, I like the stuff said here, it was a very interesting way to look at things...

Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

Post Reply