Is God Real?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
That Chick2
Troll

Re: Is God Real?

Post by That Chick2 » Sat 25th Feb 2012

If God is real I'd give him a nice good slap in the face. For giving us free will, for making being gay wrong, for not be there for anyone in their time of need.

Then I a him big hug, for making me not look crazy when I talk to him, for the friend I've made, and for the sin I've commited.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Sat 25th Feb 2012

The biggest problem is the amount of different religions and how many VIEWS there are on a single god. Allah is amore peaceful, coming together god. That's only one example. There's HUNDREDS upon hundreds of views on God. Which one's right? It seems suspicious that people can so easily morph a religion and people follow it.

To me, religion has always seemed more of a source of comfort. The power of suggestion.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

That Chick2
Troll

JLHxXxX wrote:The biggest problem is the amount of different religions and how many VIEWS there are on a single god. Allah is amore peaceful, coming together god. That's only one example. There's HUNDREDS upon hundreds of views on God. Which one's right? It seems suspicious that people can so easily morph a religion and people follow it.

To me, religion has always seemed more of a source of comfort. The power of suggestion.
Well said.

That Chick2
Troll

JLHxXxX wrote:The biggest problem is the amount of different religions and how many VIEWS there are on a single god. Allah is amore peaceful, coming together god. That's only one example. There's HUNDREDS upon hundreds of views on God. Which one's right? It seems suspicious that people can so easily morph a religion and people follow it.

Well said.

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Sat 26th May 2012

To all the theists on this board, where did God come from? The main argument I know of which 'proves' God is real is the phrase: 'For something to exist, it must be created.' So what created God? Is there an infinate chain of Gods stretching across the Universe?
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Mon 11th Jun 2012

Okay, as a real life everyday person: No, but if you want to believe that there is one go for it.

As a physics lover: Define god, the god that we believe in, in fact, any god that we believe in, no. Something that controls the universe and makes everything happen, yes and no.

Now a frequntley asked questions department
Is god alive? Define 'Alive'
Like you and me? Define 'alive like you and me'
Does god breath, and talk, and move...? Probably not, in fact, no.
Is there something that can control the universe? Define that please.
Can he change the laws of nature? No, because those laws weren't made by him. Analogy: The U.S. can't make the UK change it's laws about something.
Why not? Because the Big bang created time as well as the universe, so to qoute Stephen Hawking "What happened before the big bang could not affect what happened after."

We believe in god because that gives us a simpler explantion of what happens in the universe. We also don't want our fate to be in our own hands. i'm not saying there isn't a god, just not one in the human point of view. the God can't think, so therefore it doesn't care/know what it's doing.
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 15th Jun 2012

I neither believe nor not believe in God. I mean like, what's the harm of believing in God? It won't harm you in anyway. As you all may know from a topic I posted, I don't agree with everything, but hey. This is like saying do you believe in miracles? because what's the harm of believing in them? If they are real, they will only help you.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Sat 16th Jun 2012

world is quiet here wrote:I neither believe nor not believe in God. I mean like, what's the harm of believing in God? It won't harm you in anyway. As you all may know from a topic I posted, I don't agree with everything, but hey. This is like saying do you believe in miracles? because what's the harm of believing in them? If they are real, they will only help you.
Oh, ho, ho. I beg to differ. Jews were killed several times. Aitheists used to be hanged everywhere because of their beliefs. Even Christians went through mass killings. Harm does come, you just have to be prepared to face it. It's all about faith.

*Ha nerd rant over*

No one agrees with absolutely one thing, of course.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

LEPreconGirl
Dwarf Thief

Post by LEPreconGirl » Sat 16th Jun 2012

Because I'm way too lazy to read this entire debate, I'll jut say my piece an go from there :)

Have you ever had that feeling, that sense that something is true, but you can't prove it? Faith. You have faith in people, faith in facts you're taught. You can't prove that the universe was created by a big bang- look it up, it's still a theory, albeit one backed by images of very young parts of the universe from trillions of light years away, if our teacher was correct- but you keep referencing that. You believe in that. Like I believe in god. Prove, conclusively, that the Big Bang happened, without a shadow of a doubt. It's what we're taught, so we acxept it, and if you think about it, God is also what some are taught. Who accept it.

I can't prove god is real to everyone, but I can believe it. Can you prove that the Big Bang is real to everyone?

(Do you get my point? I'm tired and a little incoherent at the moment, sorry for any confusion)
Not all those who wander are lost...

Team Holly!

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Sun 17th Jun 2012

There is evidence there was a Big Bang, it's called CBMR or something like that. I am currently trying to work out what else it could be.
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Sun 17th Jun 2012

LEPreconGirl wrote:Because I'm way too lazy to read this entire debate, I'll jut say my piece an go from there :)

Have you ever had that feeling, that sense that something is true, but you can't prove it? Faith. You have faith in people, faith in facts you're taught. You can't prove that the universe was created by a big bang- look it up, it's still a theory, albeit one backed by images of very young parts of the universe from trillions of light years away, if our teacher was correct- but you keep referencing that. You believe in that. Like I believe in god. Prove, conclusively, that the Big Bang happened, without a shadow of a doubt. It's what we're taught, so we acxept it, and if you think about it, God is also what some are taught. Who accept it.

I can't prove god is real to everyone, but I can believe it. Can you prove that the Big Bang is real to everyone?

(Do you get my point? I'm tired and a little incoherent at the moment, sorry for any confusion)
Skyswallow wrote:There is evidence there was a Big Bang, it's called CBMR or something like that. I am currently trying to work out what else it could be.
CBR, Cosmic background radiation. It's Radition tht was emitted from the big bang, we are only now seeing it because light has a finite speed. Also there is Red-shift, meaning the distant galaxies are moving away from us, therefore they must have been closer together in the past. There is also inflation, but that is pretty complex.

Good point Leppy, if we believe something we also believe that that thing is true.

CloverKitty
LEP Recruit

Post by CloverKitty » Mon 19th Nov 2012

Yes, I believe He is. This does not mean you have to, that I think your a horrible person if you don't, or that you are stupid. I am simply saying, yes, I think that God and the Bible are true. This was not meant to offend anyone and I'm sorry if it does. But one more thing, if there was a big bang, why was there an explosion at the big bang? Where did the materials come from? Just sayin.
He doesn't stop war because its all part of his plan, I don't understand it yet, but I know He will provide for His people. I knew a woman with brain cancer, she died, but because of that cancer she got to share the gospel with many people. You see what I'm saying?
As for the fossils, man, beast, land, sky, and sea were all created in 6 days, and God rested on the seventh.
And finally, God is everywhere. No one, not even the Devil himself, can hide from God.
Anyway I really hope I didn't offend anyone!

CloverKitty
LEP Recruit

Re:

Post by CloverKitty » Mon 19th Nov 2012

Criminal Mastermind wrote:
Minerva_Paradizo wrote:
dee_sequel wrote: God doesn't stop the wars because he created us with free.... will. he doesn't want us to be his puppets. yet He's always there after the war to create positive reprocussions.
but why does he create "natural" desasters(sp??) then????
yeah that, if is real, is like toying(sp) with us. And what created god? something can't just be, it has to be created
God has no beginning or end. He is the Alpha and the Omega.(a and z) now I know that's very hard to believe, and I dont expect you to, but that's what I believe.
And when Adam ate the fruit and the Fall happened, he ruined the earth. So since that was punishment for Adam, He let's the disasters happen because we deserve it. But He doesn't Condem us to Hell. H provided a way out, through Jesus.
Again, sorry if I offend.
Moneyman2010mn wrote:
disasters were brought on by man's first sin. in the beginning the world was perfect, but man was greedy and caused God to punish them and the world to come because of the sins they would commit.
If man was created by God, said to be all-knowing, then why did he create something that was greedy. Why was Adam and Eve punished for eating from the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" if they clearly didn't know the difference between good and evil before?
Because He wanted to test them. To see if they would truly follow Him. He told them not to eat of it, it was a test. He told them they would surely die, but they didn't listen. So they had to pay th price

Hi Cloverkitty! I think you've been asked twice now not to double-post - please don't do it again ;)
~*AA

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Mon 19th Nov 2012

CloverKitty wrote:Yes, I believe He is. This does not mean you have to, that I think your a horrible person if you don't, or that you are stupid. I am simply saying, yes, I think that God and the Bible are true.
Okay, you took my words then. It's your opinion, it's what you THINK. What everyone else thinks is irrelavant - or to you. It's what you think. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks to you. They can think what they want.
CloverKitty wrote:
God has no beginning or end. He is the Alpha and the Omega.(a and z) now I know that's very hard to believe, and I dont expect you to, but that's what I believe.
And when Adam ate the fruit and the Fall happened, he ruined the earth. So since that was punishment for Adam, He let's the disasters happen because we deserve it. But He doesn't Condem us to Hell. H provided a way out, through Jesus.
Again, sorry if I offend.

Basically. If you don't want others to suffer, shouldn't God forgive them, not cause death, misery and har? And why does the Bible refer to God as 'him' when he is not a human being?

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius

Post by Ash Kelp » Mon 19th Nov 2012

^God is all in the mind of the believer, you either believe in him or you don't.

However, I don't care if you're religous, I care if you're being religous, or your religon, effects me. Which it has for millions of years. (Research suppresion lead to having worse technoglogy then we should have. Proof: Now that religon is at an all time low, technology advancement is at an all time high.) So we should have better technology, but we don't. Also, religon means that I have to listen to idiotic things written by dillusional mass murderers for the sake of profit. for example, the pledge of alliagence contains lot's more then I really want to say. (Fun fact: The U.S.A is divisible, as it has fifty states; and Fifty is pretty divisible.) If I don't have to deal with religon, I don't care about it or the people who follow it. But I have to deal with it way more then I like, so I don't like it. So, some random dillusional (Or genius; James Bond quote: The difference between insanity and genius is often decided by succes, the dude who wrote the bible sure must've been succesful.) decided to make up this dude named god. However, the biggest scam in the history of earth has continued to run freely, with very little people bothering to care about it.