Abortion

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Fowl's_Girl
Dwarf Thief
Location: Can I be the only hope for you? Because you're the only hope for me...

Re: Abortion

Post by Fowl's_Girl » Fri 27th Jan 2012

Yes, we do kill each other, but the other person being killed has a chance to fight back, like 99% of the time. Babies can't, which to me makes it worse. But how could you tell if a baby was sick, while he/she was still in the womb? After the baby is born, then you could tell, but then apparently it would be too late.

Which, if someone could explain, why is it so terrible and 'impossible' to get an abortion after such and such time, but any time before that, it isn't.

Over-population... Usually, people could just move. (P.S., I think that's like the Shadow Children series, where people can only have two kids because of 'over population', when there really wasn't) Again, you could move, or refrain from 'doing it'. In many places, it isn't that over populated, because people already living die all the time (Example: Older people). So it's usually balanced out, so that abortion isn't 'necessary' in that case. But is it really 'necessary' at all, in any case or circumstance?
Thank you Fowlie!

Well, when all the normal people find out how cool it is to be different, they'll want to be different too. So if everyone is different, then different people will be normal, and the normal people will be different.
┏━━━┳━━━┳┓
┃┏━━┫┏━┓┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┗┫┃
┃┏━━┫┃┏━╋┛
┃┃╋╋┃┗┻━┣┓
┗┛╋╋┗━━━┻┛
^^^Thanks Amy!^^^
Member of Team Artemis!
Gnomehat
Proud member of the Loveless Fangirls! :wub:

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Fri 27th Jan 2012

that's true, but with medicine you can tell whether or not the baby is sick.

Plus what if someone is dieing they have a choice, the baby or me, in an actual situation someone decided that the baby would live, but then they both died at birth?
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

Fowl's_Girl
Dwarf Thief
Location: Can I be the only hope for you? Because you're the only hope for me...

Post by Fowl's_Girl » Fri 27th Jan 2012

Yeah, but not always. Sometimes medicine is incorrect. Still, babies should be given a chance to live, no matter what.

Then that person would have made a good decision in keeping the baby, and it was unfortunate that they both died, but no one could have saw that both died. Though, I've never heard of a situation like that ever happening. If you could give me an example, of a story like that actually happening, that would be great.
Thank you Fowlie!

Well, when all the normal people find out how cool it is to be different, they'll want to be different too. So if everyone is different, then different people will be normal, and the normal people will be different.
┏━━━┳━━━┳┓
┃┏━━┫┏━┓┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┗┫┃
┃┏━━┫┃┏━╋┛
┃┃╋╋┃┗┻━┣┓
┗┛╋╋┗━━━┻┛
^^^Thanks Amy!^^^
Member of Team Artemis!
Gnomehat

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Sat 28th Jan 2012

What if it kills some other people in the process? I don't think that the life of one person should end so another can live?

It has happened.
Last edited by Ash Kelp on Mon 30th Jan 2012, edited 1 time in total.

wolf short
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Post by wolf short » Mon 30th Jan 2012

i think that abortion is ok if there was rape invovld but in any other situation i think the baby should just go up for adoption

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius

Post by Ash Kelp » Mon 30th Jan 2012

Why is it that we kill other animals, then complain when WE die? humans and animals have an equal right to live, shouldn't they? Then we go and kill random animals. I support people dieing because we do the exact same thing to random animals. (Killing animals for food is bareley okay, same thing with animals that attack us, but for sport!?!?) Surely the fairy people agree.
Last edited by Ash Kelp on Tue 31st Jan 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Fowl's_Girl
Dwarf Thief

Post by Fowl's_Girl » Mon 30th Jan 2012

We kill other animals to eat and stay alive. It helps to keep us alive. Animals and humans do not have an equal right, because humans don't get eaten for sustenance, while animals were created by God for us to eat. Killing animals for sport is NOT okay (in my opinion), because we don't eat their meat, so it's wasteful. Anyway, this is off topic, and animals have nothing to do with abortion.

Enough people die anyway from wars, famine, suicide, and murder, old age, ect, so abortion is definitely not okay. In most cases, humans do have a chance to fight back and defend themselves, but unborn babies are helpless, and can't fight back. That, in itself, is wrong. People think it's wrong to kill adults and kids, even if they can't defend themselves, but they think its okay to murder babies that haven't even been born yet. Where is the justice in that? It's not the baby's fault that his/her mother was raped or whatever, so why do we kill the baby?
Thank you Fowlie!

┏━━━┳━━━┳┓
┃┏━━┫┏━┓┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┗┫┃
┃┏━━┫┃┏━╋┛
┃┃╋╋┃┗┻━┣┓
┗┛╋╋┗━━━┻┛
^^^Thanks Amy!^^^
Member of Team Artemis!
Gnomehat

LEPreconGirl
Dwarf Thief

Post by LEPreconGirl » Tue 31st Jan 2012

FG, you're playing more on emotion about cute little babies than facts, and I'm not trying to be mean, but consider this.

You, FG, are going home. It's dark. You're alone- and someone grabs you, r*pes you. (I'm over-simplifying, but whatever). You finally make it home maybe a day later, and have been sobbing he entire time. A month later, they tell you- a what, middle schooler, freshman? That you're pregnant.
Based on your own argument, YOU must have this baby- and suffer the social consequences of it, the emotional and psychological damage. You didn't want this. You didn't even do anything willingly, but because it's going to develop into a fetus, and that would be murder, you're stuck with it. You must go nine months, ashamed to be around your friends, getting looks in the halls because people don't know the full story, because if something you couldn't stop.

Then they tell you- Having this baby will kill you. It will almost certainlately not survive. But, because there's a slim chance that one of you may live, keep it, by your own argument. Are you scared? Mad? Probably, but what can you do?

There are certain circumstances- r*pe, the child and mother are almost certain to die, where I feel that abortion is legal if done early enough- there has to be a cutoff.

(I feel kind of mean...)
Not all those who wander are lost...

Team Holly!

Fowl's_Girl
Dwarf Thief

Post by Fowl's_Girl » Tue 31st Jan 2012

If that happened to me, I would of course, keep the baby. I would be a hypocrite. I've learned and been taught all my life that abortion is wrong. So I would do what I've been taught. Some people do feel different, but, this is just what I've been taught and what I've learned. Even if he/she doesn't look like a baby yet, it is. This is just my own opinion.
Thank you Fowlie!

┏━━━┳━━━┳┓
┃┏━━┫┏━┓┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┗┫┃
┃┏━━┫┃┏━╋┛
┃┃╋╋┃┗┻━┣┓
┗┛╋╋┗━━━┻┛
^^^Thanks Amy!^^^
Member of Team Artemis!
Gnomehat

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 31st Jan 2012

Fowl's_Girl wrote:Abortion is murder, because the baby is a real person, and should be given a chance to live, no matter what conditions they would grow up in. 'Pro-choice' is a very nice and convenient way to say 'pro-abortion'. If you think about it, it is the same thing.
I'd like to clarify a couple of things here. Firstly, I'd like to reiterate that when abortion is legal, the fetus is not yet a person. It cannot yet feel, it cannot yet think, and for the first several weeks, it does not yet even have an individual heartbeat. It isn't a matter of whether or not it looks like a baby yet or not, it literally is not a baby by every scientific definition. It's barely more than a clump of cells in the uterus. Granted, the DNA is human, but by that argument, removing cancer would be a bad thing.

And secondly, I just want to make sure that you know that pro-choice does not mean infant-killing, axe-murdering, shady character. It just means that we believe that a woman should be given a choice whether or not to go through with her pregnancy. That doesn't mean that we think there should be an abortion clinic on every corner, or that we want to murder babies. Because, as I would remind you again, at the point where most people believe abortion is legal and justifiable, there is not yet a separate human being present.
online more often than you probably assume
tumblr & ao3

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius

Post by Ash Kelp » Wed 1st Feb 2012

i agree with AA, we're not talking about preventing the baby from living, but talking about preventing it from ever happening, erasing it completly, that's not killing.

there's a big difference.

Fowl's_Girl
Dwarf Thief

Post by Fowl's_Girl » Thu 2nd Feb 2012

Ash Kelp wrote:i agree with AA, we're not talking about preventing the baby from living, but talking about preventing it from ever happening, erasing it completly, that's not killing.

there's a big difference.
Preventing a baby from ever happening would be more like taking birth control, not getting an abortion. Once the baby is conceived, it is already happening and growing into a person, so it would be preventing the baby from living. Yes, it doesn't even look like a baby, it is pretty much is just a clump of cells, but the cells become a living person. Cancer doesn't.

Yes, women should be given a chance, but if they don't want to get pregnant, most of the time, she should just not do it. There are exceptions, such as rape, but I, personally, don't believe that still justifies abortion. No, nothing like that has ever happened to me, so I am not speaking from personal experience, but that is what I have been taught and what I believe.
Thank you Fowlie!

┏━━━┳━━━┳┓
┃┏━━┫┏━┓┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┗┫┃
┃┏━━┫┃┏━╋┛
┃┃╋╋┃┗┻━┣┓
┗┛╋╋┗━━━┻┛
^^^Thanks Amy!^^^
Member of Team Artemis!
Gnomehat

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Wed 28th Nov 2012

I don't even remember the last time I posted in this topic, though I'm pretty sure I did. I probably posted when I was 9 and I have a more formed opinion now.
I think people should have the choice to abort. It's their choice, not mine, and it's a human right to be able to make your own decisions. However, my personal belief is that it's wrong.
When you abort a baby, you aren't taking birth control. You aren't un-pregnant. You are now the mother of a dead baby. Preventing a baby or making sure it never exists is taking birth control or wearing protection.
Even if you say "but the baby when you abort it is just cells!" Cells that once held life. To this, somebody gave me the argument before, "but skin cells once held life too, should exfoliating be a sin or morally wrong?" The skin you see is already dead, everything under it is skin cells. And I don't really think skin cells should be comparable to the cells of a forming baby. Skin cells are skin that is dead or is going to die or is dying at the moment, nothing more to it.
That baby's cells are going to form into a baby. A living, breathing, baby. And it's going to be born, and laugh, and breathe, and have a personality. It's going to make friends, and have emotions, and it's going to get married. Are we REALLY comparing that to already dead skin cells?
Even if you don't see it as the murder of what is already a conceived life, you are ROBBING that baby of its right to live, its chance to live. Again, taking birth control and wearing protection is making sure that a baby doesn't happen, never exists. Abortion is killing a baby that's about to live, and even if you don't see it that way, it is still theft of a life.
In the case of rape, yes, that is terrible. That is unfortunate, and I'm very sorry. If you want to get an abortion, again, that is your choice and I won't stop you, but it's still theft of life and killing something about to take its first breath.

Personally, if you're unable to take care of it, if you don't want the baby, if you were at a party and drunk and now aren't living up to your own mistake, I see adoption as the better route. Think of all of the gay couples and all of the women who desperately want children and can't have them that you could give a child. :)
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

lackingimagination
Gnome

Post by lackingimagination » Thu 29th Nov 2012

to me, a baby is a human being, a child. they won't perform abortions after a certain stage for this reason--but is the baby less of a human before that? to me, the answer is no. also, the idea of it disgusts me and makes me want to vomit. i am decidedly against it.

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Thu 29th Nov 2012

lackingimagination wrote:to me, a baby is a human being, a child. they won't perform abortions after a certain stage for this reason--but is the baby less of a human before that? to me, the answer is no. also, the idea of it disgusts me and makes me want to vomit. i am decidedly against it.
Here it isn't legal, but in some countries, you can wait until a year after the baby is born to abort it. You just decide, "I don't want this kid anymore" before it turns a year old and they kill it for you.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.