Abortion

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: Abortion

Post by Meova » Mon 15th Feb 2010

Technically speaking, every living thing is a parasite because they depend on other things. Also, they are children in the womb. They are genetically human and biologically alive.
If we're talking that technically, yes. We can't live from air, nothing can. But if you take a fetus outside the womb before 26 weeks, it will die for sure. The only thing keeping it alive is its mother. Parasite.
And you never answered my question. If you had a parasite in you that you didn't want, wouldn't you kill it too?
People can choose to have sex. Honestly, am I the only one on this site that cares about ratings? This site would probably be rated R. Back on topic, what people want does not matter.
Changing the subject does not make me change my opinion. Choosing to have sex is not choosing to get pregnant. There is birth control out there. If you take that, you can have safe sex and not get pregnant.
Besides, if everyone should suffer the consequences of having sex, how come men ain't got consequences?
Too bad for them. That does not justify murder.
I'm sure you swatted a fly, or a mosquito. Just because they annoyed you, they don't deserve to die either.
I'm repeating this again. A fetus is a parasite. You can either chose to have it or chose to abort it. Aborting a parasite does not equal murder.
Doing the things that lead to pregnancy can lead to pregnancy. Likewise not studying for a test will likely result in a low grade. They chose what to do.
Getting in a car can lead to car crashes. Still everyone drives a car because they try to do it as safe as possible. There's birth control. Condoms, pills, sterilisation, everything. If you take sufficient care, you did not chose to become pregnant.
That is the advantage of living in a big family, one can practice being responsible and to some extent, being a parent.
Well, sorry, but not everyone has a big family. Doesn't the average family have 2 children or something?
The ultimate "birth control" is self-control.
That's true. (Although the virgin Mary got pregnant while she didn't have sex.) You're just assuming everyone should want to practice self-control when it comes to sex. From what I've heard, sex is really enjoyable and a way to be with your lover. It takes a lot of effort to not do that.
I doubt that. God says that whoever repents of their sins and turns to Him will be saved. God loves you, and He does not want you to die.
Too bad we're all mortal, then. And I'm actually pretty glad that my religion does not do 'saved' and all that. We accept everyone, not just people like us ;)
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer

Post by codeblackrose » Mon 15th Feb 2010

From what I hear from many sources (tv, internet, people), birth control doesn't guarantee 100% no pregnancy.

Which brings us back to 'it's an accident'.

Seriously, we should have a choice, shouldn't we? Abortion should be made legal, but it also should be made very hard to get.

See, because we're human beings, we shouldn't just go chopping up any unborn babies. But also because we're humans, we have flaws. So before we go do 'it' or go chopping up lives (LIVES!!!) we should THINK. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it because something could go wrong.

Heck, so many things go wrong.

Actually we can even go to the 'orphans' part. But I'm too tired, and I believe everyone understands what I'm talking about.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Tue 16th Feb 2010

If we're talking that technically, yes. We can't live from air, nothing can. But if you take a fetus outside the womb before 26 weeks, it will die for sure. The only thing keeping it alive is its mother. Parasite.
The only thing keeping a child alive is his/her parents until he/she gets a job. Even then, he/she is dependent on someone esle.
If you had a parasite in you that you didn't want, wouldn't you kill it too?
If he/she is genetically human (which every fetus is), then no. There is little chance of that happening though.
Changing the subject does not make me change my opinion. Choosing to have sex is not choosing to get pregnant.
Neither is driving drunk the same as choosing to be in a car crash.
There is birth control out there. If you take that, you can have safe sex and not get pregnant.
Many forms of birth conrtol also kill babies. Others can seriously damage the female womb. There is no 100% way to prevent pregnancy, except abstinence.
Besides, if everyone should suffer the consequences of having sex, how come men ain't got consequences?
Men usually have to support the child financially. I am all in favor of making them have more.
I'm sure you swatted a fly, or a mosquito. Just because they annoyed you, they don't deserve to die either.
Neither flies nor mosquitos are genetically human, nor are they created in the image of God.
A fetus is a parasite. You can either chose to have it or chose to abort it. Aborting a parasite does not equal murder.
A parasite describes how a creature lives. A parasite is not a species. As I have said before, a human can be a parasite. I thing that symbiote is a better word to describe the relationship. After all withouth them, humankind would die out (since they are us).
Getting in a car can lead to car crashes. Still everyone drives a car because they try to do it as safe as possible. There's birth control. Condoms, pills, sterilisation, everything. If you take sufficient care, you did not chose to become pregnant.
If one did all those things, they still chose to do what is the only way to become pregnant. It's a gamble.
Well, sorry, but not everyone has a big family. Doesn't the average family have 2 children or something?
With mass infanticide and sterilization on the loose, I wonder why there are not more big families?
That's true. (Although the virgin Mary got pregnant while she didn't have sex.)
Yeah, but that was a miracle. I am not sure what your point is.
You're just assuming everyone should want to practice self-control when it comes to sex.
Technically speaking, it is a corollarry based on a justified axiom. I could say that you are assuming that not everyone should practice self-control when it comes to sex.
From what I've heard, sex is really enjoyable and a way to be with your lover.
So are other things. You are correct and, provided lover equals husband/wife, moral. In fact, the Bible says that is morally wrong to deprive your wife/husband.
It takes a lot of effort to not do that.
From what I hear, it's worth the wait.
Too bad we're all mortal, then. And I'm actually pretty glad that my religion does not do 'saved' and all that. We accept everyone, not just people like us
God does too. God promises to resurrect those who follow Him.
Seriously, we should have a choice, shouldn't we? Abortion should be made legal, but it also should be made very hard to get.
I think that humans should just come to grips with the fact that they have no real control. We only control the decisions we make. We should never decide to punish others for what we did.
God bless.
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Tue 16th Feb 2010

Visorak16 wrote:If he/she is genetically human (which every fetus is), then no. There is little chance of that happening though.
Genetically, dead bodies are human too. So are braindead coma patients. However, a human is so much more than DNA. A human has a sentient mind, which requires brain function. Since abortion is illegal after the second trimester (as it well should be), and brain function doesn't appear until the baby is 25 weeks (6 months) into the pregnancy, the baby is not human during the time frame in which abortion is legal.

Not to say it doesn't have potential, but the quality of life of the mother, who has had brain function for years, should come ahead of the potential of a fetus that rates slightly above a parasite and slightly below an organ at the moment.

May your knife chip and shatter.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Wed 17th Feb 2010

Genetically, dead bodies are human too. So are braindead coma patients. However, a human is so much more than DNA.
True, which is why we value human life more than animal life. Dead people are by definition dead. We cannot kill them. Braidead coma patients are still possibly alive, and I do not support killing them either.
Since abortion is illegal after the second trimester (as it well should be), and brain function doesn't appear until the baby is 25 weeks (6 months) into the pregnancy, the baby is not human during the time frame in which abortion is legal.
The baby is alive at conception. Furthermore, the nucleous of a cell acts as a brain to the cell. Unless you can somehow document the magical moment when a baby becomes sentient, your argument does not hold up. Second, you assume that either the material world is all that there is, or that the spirit enters the body at some point durring the developement. Technically speaking, recently killed people often have brains that are in relatively good condition (unless the death did something to it). The brain is not what makes a person. Bugs have brains as well. Even your example of so called braindead people, their brains still operate basic functions (although they can't breath or make the heart beat; other than that there are vital functions that require a brain in order to function).
Not to say it doesn't have potential, but the quality of life of the mother, who has had brain function for years, should come ahead of the potential of a fetus that rates slightly above a parasite and slightly below an organ at the moment.
Age does not matter when it comes to murder. A person cannot murder a child just because he is older than the child. See here http://www.christiananswers.net/q-sum/q-life021.html for more info.
God bless.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Wed 17th Feb 2010

brain function doesn't appear until the baby is 25 weeks (6 months) into the pregnancy, the baby is not human during the time frame in which abortion is legal.
How do you define human? Until a child is two or three years of age it does not have the same mental capacity as a pig. We fully support the killing of pigs if necessary. But it's different then, once the baby is visible, once you can hear it cry. If it's only different because the baby can be seen is it a matter of awareness or a matter of humanity? Is it just because we can feel guilty once we've witnessed what it could be?

Braindead coma patients are an entirely different issue, to me. That's someone who probably has lived his/her life, and someone who has very little, if any potential to continue living.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Wed 17th Feb 2010

Visorak16 wrote:
Genetically, dead bodies are human too. So are braindead coma patients. However, a human is so much more than DNA.
True, which is why we value human life more than animal life. Dead people are by definition dead. We cannot kill them. Braidead coma patients are still possibly alive, and I do not support killing them either.
Since abortion is illegal after the second trimester (as it well should be), and brain function doesn't appear until the baby is 25 weeks (6 months) into the pregnancy, the baby is not human during the time frame in which abortion is legal.
The baby is alive at conception. Furthermore, the nucleous of a cell acts as a brain to the cell. Unless you can somehow document the magical moment when a baby becomes sentient, your argument does not hold up. Second, you assume that either the material world is all that there is, or that the spirit enters the body at some point durring the developement. Technically speaking, recently killed people often have brains that are in relatively good condition (unless the death did something to it). The brain is not what makes a person. Bugs have brains as well. Even your example of so called braindead people, their brains still operate basic functions (although they can't breath or make the heart beat; other than that there are vital functions that require a brain in order to function).
Age does not matter when it comes to murder. A person cannot murder a child just because he is older than the child. See here http://www.christiananswers.net/q-sum/q-life021.html for more info.
God bless.
You ignore basic science. The nucleus of a cell does not process conscious thought. Similarly, a human brain cannot process conscious thought until it starts processing any thought, period. And even if the spirit enters the body before the fetus's brain can experience thought, that implies that the soul exists before the person who, allegedly, holds said soul can think. So, assuming that the soul appears at conception, what about the 20-30% of conceptions that are soon after miscarried? Where do those souls go? Surely no kind and loving god would sentence their soul to hell, limbo, or purgatory before their mind even existed, so do the souls go to heaven? Do they get put back in line? If it's either of the second two, then there is no harm done. If it's the first one, then God is cruel and I don't care what he thinks about abortion.

Also, the site you provided is cock-and-bull pseudo-logic. They start off by making up a sentence that the pro-choice camp uses as logic, and then to refute it, the argue semantics. The whole site is them arguing semantics with themselves. It's ridiculous.

As for braindead people, the ONLY thing their brain can do is vital functions such as heartbeats, and breathing, and some of them don't even have that. Most of them only remain alive because they are kept on life-support machines that perform all of those functions for them. But there is no thought, that person is, for all intents and purposes, dead. A braindead person is alive only in the sense that a toy airplane is flying when a child is holding it up.

The brain is, by all means, what makes a person. All thinking functions, all sensations, all body-running functions, all memories, all emotion, all movement of the body, everything that makes up a person comes from specific parts of the brain. If there is a soul, it is not what thinks for a person, or what makes them act, or feel. Those are all functions of the human brain, and can be documented medically and physically. So yes, the 25 week mark when a fetus's brain starts functioning IS an important factor, because the fetus's mind does not exist until that point. It may be alive in the most primal sense of the word, but it is not human.

Again, you completely ignore basic science in your arguments and instead go with that which is unproven over that which is proven, documented, and duplicatable.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

You ignore basic science. The nucleus of a cell does not process conscious thought.
I wonder what sort of omniscience allows you to make such a claim. However, it would not matter even if you were right.
Similarly, a human brain cannot process conscious thought until it starts processing any thought, period.
By definition, an unconscious person does not process conscious thought either.
And even if the spirit enters the body before the fetus's brain can experience thought, that implies that the soul exists before the person who, allegedly, holds said soul can think.
The soul is the person. I think you should agree, unless you think that people cease to exist after they die.
So, assuming that the soul appears at conception, what about the 20-30% of conceptions that are soon after miscarried? Where do those souls go? Surely no kind and loving god would sentence their soul to hell, limbo, or purgatory before their mind even existed, so do the souls go to heaven?
I believe that they go to heaven.
If it's either of the second two, then there is no harm done. If it's the first one, then God is cruel and I don't care what he thinks about abortion.
If it is one of the first two then it makes it even more vital to stop abortion.
Also, the site you provided is cock-and-bull pseudo-logic. They start off by making up a sentence that the pro-choice camp uses as logic, and then to refute it, the argue semantics. The whole site is them arguing semantics with themselves. It's ridiculous.
This claim is unsubstantiated.
As for braindead people, the ONLY thing their brain can do is vital functions such as heartbeats, and breathing, and some of them don't even have that. Most of them only remain alive because they are kept on life-support machines that perform all of those functions for them. But there is no thought, that person is, for all intents and purposes, dead. A braindead person is alive only in the sense that a toy airplane is flying when a child is holding it up.
So, you again claim omniscience or at least the ability to see into the spiritual realm? My point was that a brain does not make a person.
The brain is, by all means, what makes a person. All thinking functions, all sensations, all body-running functions, all memories, all emotion, all movement of the body, everything that makes up a person comes from specific parts of the brain.
Here again you claim to have supernatural insight.
If there is a soul, it is not what thinks for a person, or what makes them act, or feel. Those are all functions of the human brain, and can be documented medically and physically.
Here is your claim again. Personally, I think that the brain can affect how a person thinks, in a similar manner drugs can affect how a person thinks, but no one would say that drugs do the thinking for a person.
So yes, the 25 week mark when a fetus's brain starts functioning IS an important factor, because the fetus's mind does not exist until that point. It may be alive in the most primal sense of the word, but it is not human.
The baby is genetically human, biologically alive, can react to stimuli, and both brain and consciousness is not important for defining a human.
Again, you completely ignore basic science in your arguments and instead go with that which is unproven over that which is proven, documented, and duplicatable.
As opposed to you, who would have to be a mind reader to validate most of your claims. I have answered your basic question. See also http://www.christiananswers.net/q-sum/q-life000.html for more info.
God bless.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Visorak16 wrote:As opposed to you, who would have to be a mind reader to validate most of your claims. I have answered your basic question. See also http://www.christiananswers.net/q-sum/q-life000.html for more info.
God bless.
Take a biology class. A real one. It will do you no end of good. You actually haven't answered any of my questions, you just pretended to be a lawyer and said "that doesn't make sense" or "how do you know that" instead of just looking it up. Your debating technique is weak at best, since instead of actually responding to ANY of my points, you just said that they didn't make sense (which just says YOU don't understand them, which is not my fault) or said some random "fact" that makes it SOUND like you were responding, but not actually.

Keep in mind that you actually have to research the other side's points before you can properly debate, and that if you don't, you end up looking like an idiot. Also, why don't you find an encyclopedia instead of that same website that only spins webs of rhetoric instead of actually saying any facts? That might help your argument.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Take a biology class. A real one. It will do you no end of good. You actually haven't answered any of my questions, you just pretended to be a lawyer and said "that doesn't make sense" or "how do you know that" instead of just looking it up.
I have taken biology, and biology tells us that babies at conception are genetically human and biologically alive. Biology tells us that abortion takes human life. I have also tried to show you that many of your claims are not valid, because you could not possibly know the answers (like when does a soul come into the body).
Your debating technique is weak at best, since instead of actually responding to ANY of my points, you just said that they didn't make sense (which just says YOU don't understand them, which is not my fault) or said some random "fact" that makes it SOUND like you were responding, but not actually.
A good debater is supposed to articulate his views in a way that people can understand. You have done the same with me, and I admit that sometimes I am not completely clear. At anyrate, I believe that I have addressed your major point. Sentience by definition is not what makes a person.
Keep in mind that you actually have to research the other side's points before you can properly debate, and that if you don't, you end up looking like an idiot. Also, why don't you find an encyclopedia instead of that same website that only spins webs of rhetoric instead of actually saying any facts? That might help your argument.
The website does tell facts, but since you do not agree with them, you choose to ignore them. As for research, I have heard many arguments for abortion, but I am not convinced. All it seems that you are doing now is attacking my character (a logical fallacy).
God bless.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Visorak16 wrote: The website does tell facts, but since you do not agree with them, you choose to ignore them. As for research, I have heard many arguments for abortion, but I am not convinced. All it seems that you are doing now is attacking my character (a logical fallacy).
Ooh, this will be fun!

It doesn't tell facts, it specifically tells the ABSENCE of facts. The main themes in the answers are "They cannot know this or that for sure" or vague and unknowable concepts such as "The soul enters the body at conception." You may have heard many arguments for abortion, but you haven't really considered any of them. You haven't gone and looked at the facts, just vague spiritual "factoids" and challenges to prove a negative. Also, I'm not attacking your character, I'm attacking your debating technique. Even if I were attacking your character, though, that's not a logical fallacy, it's just not debating. If you'd like me to attack your character, I would be happy to do so in a more private setting. Also, the reason I assumed you haven't taken biology is because you don't seem to know the function of the brain, the single most important organ in the human body, and when someone tells you exactly what it does, you say that there's no way of knowing that.

In what way does sentience not make a person? If, hypothetically, zombies were to start rising up with no sentience, just the instincts needed to eat and eat and eat whatever moves, but otherwise fit every criteria for being alive, would you consider them human? That's actually not a bad metaphor. An unwanted pregnancy can destroy lives, just like a zombie, and in both cases, the problem would be solved by removing a mass of human flesh that cannot think or process pain. (The brain is the organ that processes all sensation, so if it's not active, the organism cannot feel pain.)

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Wed 17th Feb 2010

In what way does sentience not make a person?
It's not just the sentience, though, is it? It's the fact that there's so much potential for more there.

I'm going to repeat myself since my points weren't countered, if nobody minds?

How do you define human? Until a child is two or three years of age it does not have the same mental capacity as a pig. We fully support the killing of pigs if necessary. But it's different then, once the baby is visible, once you can hear it cry. If it's only different because the baby can be seen is it a matter of awareness or a matter of humanity? Is it just because we can feel guilty once we've witnessed what it could be?

Braindead coma patients are an entirely different issue, to me. That's someone who probably has lived his/her life, and someone who has very little, if any potential to continue living.

And another point:
So yes, the 25 week mark when a fetus's brain starts functioning IS an important factor, because the fetus's mind does not exist until that point. It may be alive in the most primal sense of the word, but it is not human.
The 25 week mark IS arbitrary though. That's the approximate point when the definition of the cluster cells receives the label of brain. There is no large landmark. There is not much difference between the brain at 24 weeks and 6 days and the brain of 25 weeks.

Yes, now it is a "brain", but it is no more developed than the brain of a lower animal. It has the mental function of an animal that we'd very quickly kill.

As for pain, I'm sure there's ways to kill a birthed baby that would result in no pain, but we would object to that. Why? Because we can see the baby. Because it has begun to resemble a human being. It's our own perception that defines a human, not actual facts. It's what we can see. Abortion is okay because until a certain point a fetus doesn't look like a person, so we don't think it's a person.

Now, I'm not going to say that abortion is wrong in all cases, or that these things are absolute, but the way I see it, it's impossible to draw the line once the child is conceived.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

Beckett Simpleton
Troll

Post by Beckett Simpleton » Sat 20th Nov 2010

Under some circumstances, I think that abortion is okay. I am english and here, I speek merely for the UK because I do not know the laws over in America or china.

There are a million people out there who would die for a child. Even a mentally or physically handycapped one (Christian in my story had ADHD jut thought I'd bring that up) If someone uses abourtion in an act of selfishness, because the child was an accedent, it was not the child's fault. Why kill it. Basically, when the baby has formed to have a heartbeat and a brain which thinks and feels pain, isn't that murder?

However, under circumstances in which this unborn baby is going to take the life of it's mother (has random, innapropriately non serious thought of twilight) then i think that it is justified. If you were raped, i think that you still have about 70% of my okay there. Because it wasn;t your fault either.

However it is true that people are shockingly picky over adopting.

My auntie has just adopted a little boy called William who was abused earlier in his life he is nearly two. For the sake of him not feeling like a missfit, she requested a child who would atleast look a little like the rest of us. All of her nieces and nephews are mixed raced (meh and my half bro)or of carrabean (no idea how you spell that) heritage but have lived in the uk so are a little paler. I think Will is mixed raced, he looks alot like my four year old brother.

But weather you were picky or not, you saved a child from feeling unwanted for it's life, so good on you. :)

My conclusion: Abortion. Occasionally justified.
Fairies. Something about... Fairies...

LEPreconGirl
Dwarf Thief

Post by LEPreconGirl » Sun 10th Apr 2011

I believe abortion is wrong. I also don't get why people wht say murder is wrong condone abortion. The baby is still a human, just still entirely dependent on its mother. If people didn't make bad choices, there would be no need.
Abortion is murder, and murder is wrong.
Abortion is worse. You are taking an innocent life that hasn't done anything wrong, hasn't had a chance to hurt or lie. Where some people can "justify" murder based on past crimes of a person, a fetus hasn't committed any. Now, my religion believes we are all born with original sin, but the baby can't control that. If that's your reason, then nobody should deserve to live, based on that logic. If someone was not smart enough to make good choices, they should have to live with that choice. I mean, you can easily give the baby up for adoption, you don't have to raise the child.

Here's basically how I see it: Abortion is murder. Murder is wrong. Abortion is worse.
Not all those who wander are lost...

Team Holly!

theramagic
Troll
Location: I am NOT in my secret lair plotting to take over the universe! why would I be doing that...

Post by theramagic » Mon 18th Apr 2011

I am not saying I support Abortion, but I at least think people should have the right to choose. What if They will die should the baby be born? What if it is not their fault they are having a baby? Also people who are young and about to have a baby, well, they are going to be mocked. They will not be able to play sports, and what if it is going to cost them their collage scholarship, and shot at getting a collage degree, or good job. Having a baby could ruin someones life.
TEAM ARTEMIS!
“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”
-Douglas Adams