Abortion

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
MASTER I
Dwarf Miner

Post by MASTER I » Sun 31st Dec 2006

Refer to Topic Description.

Should abortion be legal and is it right to abort? Post your views here.
"Sometimes the way is dark." <br>"There is a light within." <br>"Farewell, little owl." <br><br>Daughter of the Forest ? Juliet Marillier.<br><br><a href='http://www.artemis-fowl.com/goblinrevolution/pwn.php?ID=59' target='_blank'>CLICKITYCLICK!</a>

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Sun 31st Dec 2006

I hate this subject so much, but I'll post for both sides.

It can be considered veryvery wrong to kill a baby. Even in the beggining it almost has thoughts, it's DNA is set and ready to become a human, with features and everything!
But then shouldn't it be illegal to kill or restrain Sperm? I mean, they have DNA set too.
But they haven't combined DNA, haven't started actually being somebody.
But also in the early ages the Babies are barely insects, no thought, no anything, just floating.
But they will grow to be a baby, is that the same as saying we can kill a baby because it doesn't really have sentient thought? We wouldn't do that ever, even though the baby isn't near as intelligent as us yet, we are looking forward to what it will be.
What if a women doesn't want the baby, was raped or can't give the baby a good life? Is it fair to make it live in poverty or without a home?
Maybe not but we don't kill the orphans that are there already do we now?
I am extremely confused about this issue. So, I rambled.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sun 31st Dec 2006

I still am against for abortion. :(

Has anyone seen the short film called "Silent Scream"? I've seen it a bunch of times back in high school. Anyone brave enough to watch it may visit <a href='http://www.silentscream.org' target='_blank'>http://www.silentscream.org</a> Do read the warning though, it's not for young kids.

There's some huge debate on when human life actually begins, but for me, I think that once the zygote forms, it is considered human life because when left to itself, it would naturally transform into a human being.

I am also against abortion because there are countless effects on the mother: sterilization, infection, rupturing of the cervix/uterus, depression, dementia, trauma, and other psychological disorders.

If the mother was careless and stupid, then she could have the baby up for adoption.

If she was raped, she couldd do the same thing.

A lot of developed nations have facilities for taking care of abnormal children, too.

I look at it this way: if you want to have abortion, you will find many excuses to do so.

If you don't want to have an abortion, you will find many ways to solve your problem.
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

MASTER I
Dwarf Miner

So abortion is fine as long as it isn't left until brains and heatbeat (etc) are formed already or the fetus even slightly resembles a human being.

You don't really have to argue the legal, illegal point. If a mother really wants to get an abortion, she'll go to anything to get one, legal or not. So no need to argue that if you don't like. It's just a matter of if the crime rates want to go down or what.

Anyway, there are some significant points here. It's good to see other people's opinion. Thanks.
"Sometimes the way is dark." <br>"There is a light within." <br>"Farewell, little owl." <br><br>Daughter of the Forest ? Juliet Marillier.<br><br><a href='http://www.artemis-fowl.com/goblinrevolution/pwn.php?ID=59' target='_blank'>CLICKITYCLICK!</a>

BlackOpal

D'arvit and the website made me change all the way over too no abortion. I'm going to repeat what I said before. Would we kill a baby because it isn't fully developed? And can't a mother put their child up for adoption. Especially in North America, the waiting lists for adoption are years long. Having a baby might just allow someone else something they long for. (If I change my opinion back it's because I'm just off of the edge of the fence and it is too easy to climb back over in case I forgot something)

BlackOpal

But so many people want babies, even mentally handicapped ones, they would love to take them in. They'd love them as their own, maybe even more so.

MASTER I
Dwarf Miner

Okay, so you're saying that the mother shouldn't abort and, instead put her child up for adoption (etc)?

Well how about if the mother's life was in danger? Should she abort her child then?

Dreamlight
Troll

Post by Dreamlight » Sun 31st Dec 2006

I have nothing against abortion. What if giving birth would put both the to-be mother and a baby in danger? What if the person was raped? It wouldn't be fair that she would have to suffer something that was not her fault and against her will.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

BlackOpal

There's a few times when I would understand. One is when the mother was raped, and the other when her life was in danger. I know there are babies up for adoption in China, but a lot of people can't afford to go there. It is very expensive. I'm mainly against abortion if the woman was just careless and doesn't want the baby, but I think if a woman was raped she could still have the baby, and maybe give it up, but try to be strong and let the baby live, it's not it's fault either that she was raped, but I can understand why she wouldn't want to.
Now I am posting pointlessly. This doesn't make sense to me and is a terrible argument, I'll come back when I'm less tired and make a better statement.

MASTER I
Dwarf Miner

I guess it depends under the circumstances whether abortion is moral or not. But here are some statistics that somebody sent me:

In the UK papers (where abortion is legal up to 23 weeks):

Under 18's:
? 1,300 on their 2ND abortion
? 7 on their 3RD

18 - 24s:
? 16,474 on their 2ND abortion
? 3,060 on their 3RD

Over 30s:
? 482 on their 5th abortion
? 92 on 6th
? 29 had 7th

All age groups showed an increase on 2004. These figures are for 2005 in the UK alone. I'm not sure if the sources are reliable or not but those are big statistics.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sun 31st Dec 2006

MASTER I wrote:In the UK papers (where abortion is legal up to 23 weeks):

Under 18's:
? 1,300 on their 2ND abortion
? 7 on their 3RD

18 - 24s:
? 16,474 on their 2ND abortion
? 3,060 on their 3RD

Holy bloody frell! :o Where is the world going to?? Or am I just old fashioned, or what? :o

I still hold my ground, though.

I am still against abortion.

I believe that it is immoral to take away the life of an unborn child.

My classmates and I did this documentary about abortion for Christian Life class in high school... [sorry I don't have a copy on my computer, though] The people we interviewed included a doctor, and when we asked him this question,
MASTER I wrote:Well how about if the mother's life was in danger? Should she abort her child then?

The doctor said [not his exact words.. we did this interview a LONG time ago, so I am just typing from memory],
As a doctor, I have lived by one principle, when it comes to matters of life and death: I shall not choose to save one life over the other. Thankfully, I haven't been in this situation yet, but I have been taught to do whatever I can in order to save both the mother and child. If, in the process, both mother & child live, then good. If one dies, I still know that I did not kill either one of them on purpose.
Last edited by darvit on Fri 18th May 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

michelle_f33
Centaur Genius
Location: Somewhere in the middle of no where and anywhere-well actually Australia

Post by michelle_f33 » Sun 31st Dec 2006

I don't know very much about Abortion, but personally I for it...I don't think it's the best option but it should be left up the parents, not anyone else...I don't think religion should be brought into it either, if your for it then you can do it, if your against it then don't but don't force your beliefs on others.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 31st Dec 2006

Well, look at it this way:

Some think that abortion is murder, that you are murdering a living human being. Are you saying that 'don't murder people' is a belief that should not be forced on others?

I personally am unsure about abortion, because I see both sides.

michelle_f33
Centaur Genius
Location: Somewhere in the middle of no where and anywhere-well actually Australia

Post by michelle_f33 » Sun 31st Dec 2006

Good point...but I know abortion is murder, I just don't see it as murder...I don't know why...Either way I can see the pro's and con's but since I've never experienced it or meet anyone who has I can't really judge...

MASTER I
Dwarf Miner

You say abortion is murder. That is my opinion too.

However, I've been asked: "What is considered murder? How about if this child hadn't even obtained any kind of human features (heatbeat) yet?" So it depends whether you think a fetus is human, or when it's officially called human.