Homosexuality

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Post Reply
User avatar
hiholly123
Dwarf Thief
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed 3rd Jun 2009
Gender: Female
Location: In the TARDIS, with the Doctor. :D (I wish)

Re: Homosexuality

Post by hiholly123 » Sun 20th May 2012

I have no problem with homosexual people, or bisexual people or any sexuality, really. And I'm a Christian, and I really hate it when people assume that all Christians and the like are disgusted with homosexuality, and are homophobic and want to ban gay marraige. It just makes me really angry.

Maybe the bible says things about homosexuality, but those that wrote it had their biases and own ideas of right and wrong. Whether there is a God or not or he told them to write it or not does not matter. The point is, that people will always have biases and different points of view, and those biases and points of view affect what they say and write. So.

I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys, but that's what I think, even if I didn't explain very well. >.>
Image
(GIF not made by me)
Don't Blink.
Team Holly!

User avatar
Randomosity
Troll
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu 7th Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Location: I'm stuck in my computer! If you are reading this, find me! I'm filed under "Randomosity"

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Randomosity » Fri 22nd Jun 2012

I have several people in my family who are homosexuel, and can I just say that I am appalled by some of the messages on this forum. Of coarse its up to you to decide what to believe in, but really? YOU CAN BE WHO YOU WANT TO!!! Just cause someone is homosexuel, dosn't mean there evil. You can decide that when you meet them!
About the whole religon thing, A. just cause your that religon it dosnt mean you agree with evrything it says, and B. It's your choice what you believe in.
LEPrecorngirl said: People at my school use 'gay' as an insult. I've seen boys get more upset at getting called gay then accused of... Creepy things. When I ask what's wrong with it, nobody has an answer.

I have had the same problem. All you can really do is ignore them.
(FAVRIOTE QUOTE)I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned Image
This sigge was made by Sara. THANK YOU!!!
Avvie made by skyswallow. THANK YOU ALSO!!!
There is no freedom, just different levels of bondage
Remember that all opinion is an view about the world. Find a place to stand.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON
Alcohol. the solution- and cause- of all life's problems
ASDF movies are awesome and so are Eddsworld and the TomSka movies. Also Rest In Peace Edd Gould your world will keep on spinning.
COFFEE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND!!!
COFFEE IS IN MY SOUL!
COFFEE IS MY SOUL!

Coffee addiction? Nah.

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Homosexuality

Post by JLHxXxX » Fri 29th Jun 2012

Argumentations I hear regularly:

1) Homosexuality goes beyond everything I was taught.
A: Yes, but so did giving African-Americans rights and freedom. So did giving women the right to vote, a voice in the government, and the choice to run for governer, etc or not. Many in the old times were taught that royalty was closer to God, and thus not to be messed with. I highly doubt that many still believe that.

2) Gay couples will raise their kids incorrectly - traditional family values!\
A:Stop right there. So being drunk, addicted to drugs, abusive, mean, and just plain wrong is correct as long as the couple is heterosexual? If anything, a homosexual couple may raise their kids better. I have personally heard many LGBT people say that their kids could walk on their hands for their entire life for all they care, as long as they follow their hearts and OWN beliefs, not everyone else's. After seeking acceptance for their own lives, I highly doubt they would ever suppress their children. Openminded, logical, wise children are what we need. Ignorance in voting is caused by "traditional families" where there is one party - R or D, and they simply only believe what they are taught. An ignorant vote can ruin the entire country.

3) They are just wrong! And sick!
A: How does a homosexual couple affect you directly? How are they different from hetero, besides the inability to reproduce? You claim that your religion says that homosexuality is a sin, but the Bible also states that you will accept and love all, no matter the sins they have commited. You are also to NOT determine their fate for that is you claiming to place yourself in God's seat, where you do not belong.I will not hate on homophobes, but their arguments. I personally am Agnostic, but I agree with the morals to love everyone as you want to be loved. It is their decision, and will directly affect you as much as a hetero couple next to a LGBT couple on the same sidewalk.

Oh, and just to note, there is something hysterical going around. You know how African Americans had a disease that was harmful to whites? Well now there is "Gay AIDS that can only be found in LGBT couples. Just so you know. This is beyond funny.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
Randomosity
Troll
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu 7th Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Location: I'm stuck in my computer! If you are reading this, find me! I'm filed under "Randomosity"

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Randomosity » Sat 30th Jun 2012

I think that one of the reasons people don't like homosexuals is because they are afraid of something that's diffrent.
(FAVRIOTE QUOTE)I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned Image
This sigge was made by Sara. THANK YOU!!!
Avvie made by skyswallow. THANK YOU ALSO!!!
There is no freedom, just different levels of bondage
Remember that all opinion is an view about the world. Find a place to stand.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON
Alcohol. the solution- and cause- of all life's problems
ASDF movies are awesome and so are Eddsworld and the TomSka movies. Also Rest In Peace Edd Gould your world will keep on spinning.
COFFEE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND!!!
COFFEE IS IN MY SOUL!
COFFEE IS MY SOUL!

Coffee addiction? Nah.

User avatar
bentj96
LEP Recruit
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue 1st Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Location: I truly wish I knew

Re: Homosexuality

Post by bentj96 » Thu 12th Jul 2012

Randomosity wrote:I think that one of the reasons people don't like homosexuals is because they are afraid of something that's diffrent.
Some feel that way, but then there are churches who are totally against it. I find it ironic, though, when some of them protest. They go against the Bible to defend it, turning to violence and hate mail.

Anyway, it makes me really uncomfortable to imagine another guy touching me like they would their lover or husband, or boyfriend as it were. That, however, doesn't mean I have the right to stop homosexuality. Nobody has that supreme power.

I'd like to point one thing out that is very interesting to me. Girls with other girls seems somehow much better than a guy with another guy. It's even seen as attractive or alluring. Is it the nature of the two sexes? That women are soft, caring, and passionate? Is it the intimacy from being able to share emotions and thoughts more freely (and ably) than men?
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

User avatar
JLHxXxX
LEP Commander
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon 6th Jul 2009
Gender: Female
Location: Dancing on the Eiffel Tower with Kitty~

Re: Homosexuality

Post by JLHxXxX » Thu 12th Jul 2012

Each sex has their own package in a relationship. It's natural in the sense that a boy would be attracted to a girl and vice versa. Except it's the same sex. Just like everyone says, You cannot control you love... it's the same for LGBT.
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Bang Your Drum » Thu 12th Jul 2012

bentj96 wrote:
Randomosity wrote:
I'd like to point one thing out that is very interesting to me. Girls with other girls seems somehow much better than a guy with another guy. It's even seen as attractive or alluring. Is it the nature of the two sexes? That women are soft, caring, and passionate? Is it the intimacy from being able to share emotions and thoughts more freely (and ably) than men?
I think many girls feel the same way about men with other men....They find it appealing for whatever reason, they have (and the one they chose to give you).
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
bentj96
LEP Recruit
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue 1st Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Location: I truly wish I knew

Re: Homosexuality

Post by bentj96 » Thu 12th Jul 2012

Bang Your Drum wrote:
bentj96 wrote:
Randomosity wrote:
I'd like to point one thing out that is very interesting to me. Girls with other girls seems somehow much better than a guy with another guy. It's even seen as attractive or alluring. Is it the nature of the two sexes? That women are soft, caring, and passionate? Is it the intimacy from being able to share emotions and thoughts more freely (and ably) than men?
I think many girls feel the same way about men with other men....They find it appealing for whatever reason, they have (and the one they chose to give you).
Are you absolutely sure? I'd like to point out that it girls together seems more acceptable in film than men. There are many TV shows or movies that occasionally depict girls kissing or even making love, but not for two men. In fact, movies involving two men are infamous, like Brokeback Mountain. Also, in general, men who are come out as gay receive much more attention than women.
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Bang Your Drum » Fri 13th Jul 2012

^
Well it's because you aren't actively seeking such shows/movies out. Just because it is a "bigger deal" for a movie to have a homosexual man doesn't make it as "big a deal." I've never really heard anyone outside of the American Conservative circuit refer to Brokeback as infamous.... it's a love story for goodness sakes, by that logic Titanic and other films like that featuring a man and woman should be too.
What it really comes down to is sexism I think, in films men are often super macho or very weak and/or flamboyant (this often played for laughs) it's been considered un-dignified male to be a homosexual in the past (and I'm talking the ancient world here) so that may have something to do with it.

let's see TV shows with recuring homosexual male characters in relationships...

Torchwood
Modern Family
6 Feet Under

see that's three off the top of my head.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed 4th Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Ash Kelp » Fri 13th Jul 2012

My opinion on this is:

People who are homosexual have the right to be homosexual. It's not their choice, it's natures choice. To quote a friend: "If god didn't want homosexuals he would do something about it other then having them be stripped of their rights."

If you aren't homosexual then that's fine too, you have the right to dislike each other, but homosexuals should have equal rights.
Image
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

User avatar
Battery
Ringbearer
Posts: 7120
Joined: Sun 4th Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Location: The Shire
Contact:

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Battery » Fri 13th Jul 2012

Bang Your Drum wrote:^
Well it's because you aren't actively seeking such shows/movies out. Just because it is a "bigger deal" for a movie to have a homosexual man doesn't make it as "big a deal." I've never really heard anyone outside of the American Conservative circuit refer to Brokeback as infamous.... it's a love story for goodness sakes, by that logic Titanic and other films like that featuring a man and woman should be too.
What it really comes down to is sexism I think, in films men are often super macho or very weak and/or flamboyant (this often played for laughs) it's been considered un-dignified male to be a homosexual in the past (and I'm talking the ancient world here) so that may have something to do with it.

let's see TV shows with recuring homosexual male characters in relationships...

Torchwood
Modern Family
6 Feet Under

see that's three off the top of my head.
Game of Thrones, Caprica, Spartacus, American Horror Story, Glee, and Queer as Folk to name a few more. And I could go on. But yeah, even though it is definitely getting more common to see gay males on TV I would agree that it's probably the whole stereotypical male that makes it so "weird" to people... and to an extent I think it might be because a lot of males, because of the stereotype, might not necessarily be comfortable enough with themselves and their sexuality that they can watch two dudes make out and not feel weird about it.

User avatar
bentj96
LEP Recruit
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue 1st Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Location: I truly wish I knew

Re: Homosexuality

Post by bentj96 » Fri 13th Jul 2012

@Bang Your Drum I mentioned Brokeback Mountain because it is a common reference when it comes to two men in a sex scene. Perhaps not infamous.

@Artificial Asian You say Game of Thrones, but there is only one or two scenes with Renly and Loras Tyrell and they don't go very far. On the other hand, there is that one scene with Petyr and the two whores that goes so far that it might as well me seen as pornography.

Anyway, I find it really hard to think of a homosexual scene involving two girls that is referenced on a common basis. I few pop into my mind immediately, but nobody ever seems to talk about them.
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Bang Your Drum » Fri 13th Jul 2012

^
I think that may be because many shows you are watching are targeted at men, and it's a kinda a fanservice-y thing to do.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a lesbian character and she has had several girlfriends with recurring roles. They didn't have many on screen "scenes" since this was about ten years ago and on non cable TV. The point was it was not about how "h-a-w-t" is was but how much they cared for each other and they played it out just as you would with a heterosexual couple in the way the interacted with each other.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Homosexuality

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 13th Jul 2012

I thought 'homo' was related to men, no? If so, shouldn't there be another term for Lesbians. :?
Also, I think that European countries are putting gay's/lesbian's rights into action much quicker than America, (no offence, it's debating) for instance, in England all the gay/lesbian rights stuff started and finished in the 80's. If you go to my topic on CoE & Catholic church, you will see a lot of stuff of how religon is against homosexuals. I think we should update the bible, so that it's not umm maybe.. SEXIST AND HOMOPHOBIC!? I mean, I know this guy who switched to Catholic church from CoE because he didn't agree with woman becoming vicors (priests). I wanna question the heck out of him why. In fact, I will meet him next christmas, or maybe earlier. :-x

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sat 14th Jul 2012

^homo means "same" in Latin. so it means you are attracted to the same sex as yourself if you are homosexual.
It's terrible how slow America legislate is at adapting to social change....
The Bible is not intended to be sexist and homophobic, it just happened to be written over 1000 years ago. It was based around the social ideals of the time it was written, Jesus had no problem with slavery but also talked about mercy and love.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

Post Reply