The Lord of the (FanGathe)Rings

Are you a writer? Want to share the pieces what you've written?
Battery
Ringbearer

The Lord of the (FanGathe)Rings

Post by Battery » Wed 9th Jun 2010

Storyline is based on that of JRR Tolkien's and Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, set in a modern world with FG-ers as the cast. Please enjoy :)

Book I
Chapter I
An Unexpected Finding

Infinite thanks to Someone for coming up with a way to begin

"Come on. It's awesome."

Cookie glared down at her friend, arms crossed stubbornly over her chest. There was absolutely no way she was about to go in there, no matter what he said. Giving her an exasperated glance, the boy pushed the grate farther off the opening, peering down inside.

"It doesn't look so bad," he insisted. "Most of the rain already drained out. You can walk without ruining your precious shoes."

She frowned. It wasn't the rainwater she'd been worried about. Rain was just water. But the kinds of things one was likely to find in a sewer were less than appealing to her.

"If it's that great, then bring it back up and show me," she said flatly. "You are no getting me to wade through a pool of who knows what."

Wan sighed, standing back up and meeting her scowl with one of his own. This lacked most o the intended intimidation, given that, even at his full height. he was a good three inches shorter than her.

"It's not something I can just pick up and carry around," he told her, as if she should already have figured that out. "Don't you think I would've brought it back the first time if I could?"

Cookie shrugged. It didn't matter; she was staying right where she was, dry and above ground. She wasn't even going to ask why he had gone down there in the first place.

At the sound of her name, she looked up. Someone on the other end of the street was waving at her, shouting her name in an obnoxious tone. As the person came closer, Cookie recognized her to be Lyla, a relative of hers. She sighed. This girl lived off making her life a living hell. This wasn't going to be pretty. She found herself eying the ends of the street, searching for an escape.

Apparently, Wan had caught onto her darting eyes. He tapped her slyly on the shoulder, and she turned to face him. The evil grin on his face told her she wasn't going to like what he had to say. She was right.

"Feel like disappearing?" he asked, gesturing towards the hole in the ground. Cookie shot a glance at Lyla's approaching form, and back to the sewer gate. On the one hand, it was a sewer. On the other... if Lyla Sanders-Baker caught up with her, she was sure to be in for an entire day of torment. With a pained expression, she nodded at Wan. At least with the sewer, she could climb back out after ten minutes.

Wan's grin spread wider, and he sat down next to the entrance, letting his legs hang down inside and slipping farther down until he was close enough to the ground to drop. Not a second later, she heard the soft noise that meant he had landed.

Cookie edged closer to the opening, peering apprehensively down inside. She could just make out Wan in the darkness, looking expectantly down at her. She swallowed. Now or never...

Trying not to think of what she was doing, Cookie mirrored Wan's movements,lowering herself farther and farther until her feet touched down with an unpleasant damp squelch. She winced, nearly gagging from the smell. Maybe dealing with Lyla wouldn't have been so bad after all.

Slowly, her eyes grew accustomed to the darkness, and she could once again see Wan standing beside her, grinning like the maniac he was. She rolled her eyes as he took her by the wrist and began to drag her don the nearest passage. The kid had been her best friend for years, but there were definitely days when she wondered why...

The sewer wasn't as bad as she'd feared, when it came down to it. The odor, however rank, was the only real drawback other than the lack of much light. Though the occasional drip from the ceiling or walls was slightly unnerving, it wasn't the river of sewage she had imagined.

"There. Look at that."

Wan's triumphant cry echoed eerily off the smooth stone walls, making Cookie start. Her eyes followed her friend's motion, and the sight that greeted her sent her them as wide as saucers. She was too busy staring to notice Wan's smug grin.

"Now, was I right, or was I right?" he asked, surveying the scene again for himself. Ignoring him, Cookie stepped gingerly forward into the room, for it was indeed a room. It was complete with furniture, and even a line of low, electrical lightbulbs. The floor was tilted down from the far end, so that the water would not reach there. The walls, stained more than painted, were a murky green, and whatever had been used to color them was beginning to peel off. In the center of the room was a large table, a dark blood red, with an intricate emblem carved into the surface.

"What... what is it?" she asked quietly, her small voice ricocheting off the walls, producing a ghost of her own words. She stepped carefully up the slant and to the table, running a finger through the shallow grooves in the design. A black-winged skull, a rose, and a ring...

"I don't know," Wan's voice answered her from the other side of the room. "But someone's been here recently. Look."

Cookie turned to see what he meant, and her attention was directed to a newspaper resting on the old ottoman next to her. Moving to examine it, she read the date on the top. It was yesterday's. He was right, someone had been here.

It took her a moment to register exactly what that meant. Feeling her heart skip a beat, she sprang up and rushed to Wan, snatching his elbow and towing him back into the tunnel. Her friend made a surprised shout of protest.

"What are you doing?" he asked incredulously. "We haven't even gotten a good look at this place yet!"

Cookie didn't spare him a glance, only pushing him in front of her and ordering him to lead the way back out. Wan wouldn't budge, instead rounding on her and jerking against her grip. Somewhere in the middle of the small scuffle that broke out, Cookie's foot slipped on something wet, sending them both tumbling into the thin layer of moisture on the bottom of the sewer.

Wan scrambled to his feet, shaking like a dog to get as much sewage off him as he could. His face was drawn and slightly pallid, and despite his assurances to his friend that it "wasn't that bad," he was thoroughly disgusted. He was sure Cookie was going to make an even bigger deal out of things.

As he wiped his hands off on his jeans (slightly counterproductive, given that his jeans were just as soaked), Wan turned to face his friend. A brief moment of panic struck him as he saw she was still on the ground. Had she hit her head? Was she alright? He bent down next to her, peering into her face. To his surprise, her eyes were open and staring, seemingly transfixed on something a few inches in front of her.

Trying to follow her gaze, Wan caught sight of a glint of light, as if reflecting off metal. With a quick glance back at Cookie, he waded forward, stooping down to see what it was.

It was a ring. It was golden and lusterous, even in the bottom of a sewer, and it seemed to shine with some light whose source he couldn't see. It was a curious thing to be lying there, unnoticed until then, and Wan felt a sudden want to pick it up. After all, it would be a waste to let something so beautiful just lie there...

Just as his outstretched fingers were about to close around the tiny trinket, he felt a vice-like grip around his wrist. Starting, he snapped his head up to see his attacker with wide eyes. But there was no one there but Cookie, grasping his wrist and keeping it away from the ring. There was something in her eyes that he didn't recognize, something dark and foreign.

"I... I think I should take it," she said softly, almost absent-mindedly. "I don't think you should touch it…"

Wan watched as, as if in a trance, Cookie reached out and took the ring from its place in the water. Something about her seemed to change the moment her skin came in contact with the smooth surface, and the glow that seemed to eminate from the ring itself reflected an almost greedy light in her eyes. He wasn't sure why, but it made him uneasy.

And then came the sharp shout from behind them, and the gunshot.

Shall be continued because it's fun to write and immune to my current writer's block :)
The cast so far
Cookieninja as Cookie as Frodo Baggins
Someone as Wan as Samwise Gamgee
ImageImageImage

Alanna
Lady Random

Re: The Lord of the (FanGathe)Rings

Post by Alanna » Wed 9th Jun 2010

I've never read nor watched Lord of the Rings, but even I know that was the One Ring. Not too bad... but I'd like in as a non-minor charrie too :D
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

someone
Troll

Post by someone » Wed 9th Jun 2010

I liek it and I was who I wanted to be a hobbit.
I'm a geek,don't like it? Well talk to the walri.
Image Image

http://www.minecraft.net/ Play it!

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Wed 9th Jun 2010

@Alanna, I already have the entire cast custom-fit to FG-ers. I'm not giving away to anyone (else) who's who or who's in it; two people already know who's in and one already knows the roles XD

@Someone, thanks ^_^ I'm glad I got it right.

And yeah, it's not my best writing, but it's fun ^_^ so what the hey.
ImageImageImage

Duck With No Name
LEP Commander

Post by Duck With No Name » Wed 9th Jun 2010

Awesome beginning, AA! Your writing always has to be perfect, doesn't it? :P I wonder who else is going to be in it... :P Seriously though, it's just as brilliant as all of your other work! :D I can't wait for an update! :D *awaits patiently*

hitsugayatoushiro
LEPrecon Officer
Location: Covering my eyes, counting to three, hoping everything will just disappear.

Post by hitsugayatoushiro » Wed 9th Jun 2010

I love it.
Lotr is great, especially Return of the king..I had a thing for araagon aaaages agooo (long time, not anymore)

I like the intro. It's great and I think it's a fantstic start...now u have to Update!!!
And every time I think I've managed to get you out of my life you walk back in.
We'll build a castle in the sky, just big enough for the two of us,
Not straying in heaven for too long in case we can't get back out.
And we'll dance in the darkness,
The chaos bringing us peace,
We revel in the serenity of destruction.

Lick the blood off your hands,
wipe the sweat off your brow,
Me and you, we're the same.

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Wed 9th Jun 2010

Ohhhh, this is kool! :D *wonders if I'll be in it at all* Really awesome start to the story ^_^

cookieninja
LEP Commander

Post by cookieninja » Sat 12th Jun 2010

:o I get to be Frodo?! (I'm gonna get shot for caps here) THAT IS SO AWESOME OF YOU I LOVE IT SO MUCH!
Hehe, can you please continue soon, I love it... a lot.
Awesome Story Beginning.
The best comedy around. Monty Python. Please, don't hesitate to look them up.
++++++++++
Number One Rule of the World wrote:Something goes wrong? Blame Pete Wentz.
Wentz not available? Blame Gabe Saporta.

Cookie Shamelessly Promotes Her Writing in Her Signature

crazychick
LEPrecon Officer

Post by crazychick » Sun 13th Jun 2010

Brilliant, Battery. :) I can't waitfor an update... >< Cookie Baggins... XD
Official FanGathering Ranger

SERVANT MORTAL

BRAVE <3

LET IT FADE

cookieninja
LEP Commander

Post by cookieninja » Tue 22nd Jun 2010

Bump!
(akamkyremindertoAAthatsheneedstoupdateheramazingstory)
++++++++++

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Thu 24th Jun 2010

Thank joo, everybody ^_^
@CC, it was originally gonna be Frokie Baggins. XD But I decided not to combine the names.

Update! Because Cookeh asked. I rushed the ending, sorreh...

Chapter II

There were three of them, dressed in all black from head to toe. They stood in an uneven line across the passage, one slightly in front of the rest. It was this one who held the smoking gun in his outstretched arm.

Cookie and Wan were stock still, frozen where they were bent over the ring. Wan's eyes darted nervously between the men, searching for an exit, but found none. Cookie's gaze was steady, keeping both eyes trained on the man in front. There was a trance-like quality in her eyes, though no sign of fear showed itself.

The clicks of hard-soled shoes on wet stone told Wan that one of the men, the one who had shot at them, was approaching them. The brim of his hat cast a shadow over his face so that he could not see the man's face, but his body language made it clear that he was not the sort of person you wanted to meet in a dark alley- or a dark sewer, for that matter. Scrambling to his feet, not wanting to give this man another unnecessary advantage, he clamped onto Cookie's arm and hauled her up next to him. She was still transfixed, though her eyes had now shifted to the ring in her hand. Trying to keep steady, Wan addressed the man.

"We don't want any trouble," he said in a much smaller voice than he had intended. "We won't tell anyone about this place, we swear. We're not-"

He was silenced by the resounding click of a very large gun being cocked. He swallowed, glancing at Cookie to try and get her attention, but she did not respond. She was too busy staring.

"Give me the ring." It was a raspy voice, low and slurred. It sent fear into the pit of his stomach, though he didn't know why. It sounded just like a friend of his fathers, who always came hand in hand with the telltale signs of an addiction to something or other. But that man hadn't ever scared him like this.

Wan tried to get up the nerve to edge in front of Cookie, eventually managing to get about half an inch farther than he had already been. Though he could normally muster up a fair amount of courage, staring into the barrel of a loaded gun did not do wonders for his bravery.

"No."

Wan snapped his head around to gape at Cookie. She was staring defiantly up at the man, a cool, steely confidence in her eyes. Her hand was clamped shut in a tight ball around the ring, and she held it close to herself, as if protecting it.

"What are you doing?" he hissed. He could hear the man step forward a few paces, and refocused his attention.

"You have until the count of five," he growled at them, alternating his aim to find both their heads. It was clear that if one of them was shot, the other would not be far behind. "One."

Wan shook Cookie frantically by the shoulder, finally managing to wrench her attention to himself. She was looking at him now, but her eyes were still unfocused.

"What are you doing?" he hissed incredulously. He heard the man's low, menacing voice counting up just a few unsettling yards away, and shook her again, making sure he had her attention.

"Hello?!" he hissed at her, his eyes wide and frantic. "This guy's about to blow our brains out unless you hand over the stupid ring, so just do it!"

"Three."

A tense moment of silence passed between the two of them, each glaring at the other and daring them to argue.

"It's mine," Cookie breathed finally, dipping her head to once again examine the trinket. "I found it..."

"Four."

Wan looked hopelessly at the gunman, praying that he would take pity. They were children, for crying out loud, no one in their right mind would really shoot a child…

"Five."

An earsplitting band rang through the sewer, and a thick cloud of smoke rose to cover everything. It wasn't until a hand grabbed his wrist that he realized that he was, in fact, still alive.

"Come with me," whispered a kind, female voice. "I'll get you to safety."

Before he could protest, the girl moved him a fraction to the right, allowing him a faint glimpse of Cookie in her other arm. So they had both survived... then what had happened?

The heavy sound of a manhole cover being dragged from its place told Wan that they were exiting the sewer, and sure enough, he felt himself being hoisted up by the waist and was deposited on the sidewalk next to a very confused looking Cookie. As he sat wondering and watching, another figure pulled herself up and out of the hole, replacing the cover after her. Her face was covered in a thin layer of sweat, and in one hand, she held a small bundle.

"My name is Clare," she panted. "I'm going to help you."

The cast so far
Cookieninja as Cookie as Frodo Baggins
Someone as Wan as Samwise Gamgee
Julissa Holly Fowl as Clare as Gandalf the Grey
ImageImageImage

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Thu 24th Jun 2010

Nice writing, please do go on.
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Thu 24th Jun 2010

Really good, AA! Love your writing. :D *wonders also if I'm going to appear in it*
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

cookieninja
LEP Commander

Post by cookieninja » Thu 24th Jun 2010

<3 <3 <3 I love it. Superb as always my dear. You have the best stories. And I still can't get over the fact that I'm Frodo!
++++++++++

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Thu 24th Jun 2010

Hahaha, that was awesome :D "Its mine..." poor Wan XD

How do you pronounce Wan? *feels dumb*