Life of Lies NEW AND IMPROVED! Part 1, 2. and 3

Are you a writer? Want to share the pieces what you've written?
1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Life of Lies NEW AND IMPROVED! Part 1, 2. and 3

Post by 1hollyfan » Wed 5th Dec 2007

Part 1- Demetrea

Memories are pictures that don't remain...
But for some reason you desire them more.
Memories are words you can't explain...
But somehow you know what they mean.
Memories are things you can gain...
Why do you want them so?

January 2026

I wish I had kept a diary to record the following events. They utterly changed my life. But I didn’t, so I will tell the story to the best of my ability from memory.

My name is Demetrea Fowl Short. I am fifteen years old. I have black wavy hair about halfway to my waist, with an auburn streak framing my face. It contrasts well with my nut brown skin and steely ice blue eyes. I am very short for my age, and I have slightly pointy ears. Domovoi Butler, our manservant and bodyguard, says that I get my intelligence, eyes, and hair from my father and everything else from my mother. Including her temper. Of course he never says that around my father; it would pain him too much. He let me keep my mother’s last name to remind him of her.
I never knew my mother. My father says she died when I was one or two. Whenever I ask him or Dom about her they just ignore me or change the subject. I don’t even know her name. I am smart enough to realize that she was probably a fairy. The information I had found coupled with my interesting appearance pretty much proved it. Our mansion had an extensive library, and I have read nearly every book we have. I have a special interest in the ones concerning the fairy folk. I was easy, really, to find them out. Too bad I don’t have access to a computer or else I could verify the information I have collected.
My father, Artemis Fowl, home schools me. My first choice would be to call him Father or Artemis, but he won’t allow it. He makes me call him either ‘Arty’ or ‘Dad’ to his face. ’Dad’ is so infantile, so I use Arty most of the time.
Arty uses the books in the library to teach me about science, history, math, and English. Since I spend so much time with him, we are very close. He will tell me all he knows about everything I ask him about except my mother. That is the empty space in my life which I am desperate to learn about. My father is cold and calculating. I don’t know if it was from the devastation of my mother’s death or if he was always like that. Dom swears it was the first.
It may be my fairy ancestry, or just good genes, but I have special skills. It takes a very short time for cuts and bruises to heal, and I have an uncanny power of persuasion. One thing I haven’t told anyone about is the strangest thing about me. I can read people’s minds. I can automatically feel emotions such as anger, joy, love, and sadness. But if I concentrate, I can see their thoughts swirling in their heads. I don’t use it often, just when I think they are hiding something from me. I have respect for their privacy.
Artemis works at a software company that writes computer programs. He likes it because it is challenging for him as the main software engineer. And it gives him something to do on the long days. Of course, he works from home. Otherwise he would have to send me to school. God forbid.
I know my father cares nothing of time anymore, and he only keeps a consistent schedule for my benefit. We wake up at nine in the morning, and I read in the library and Father does things for work until lunch. At one we begin our lessons, which usually last until four. We eat dinner at six and I go to bed around nine. That isn’t to say I actually go to sleep at nine. I lay awake in bed for hours thinking, sometimes until midnight.
I lead a sheltered life. The only way to break the monotony of life at Fowl Manor is when my father leaves the house maybe a dozen times a year. And I rarely go with him. Why do I need to leave the house, he reasons. I have everything I want right here in Fowl Manor. Food, shelter, books, school. Everything except for friends, that is. The only time I leave the Manor is with Dom on his twice-monthly trips to get groceries.
I enjoy the company of my father, but I would have to say Dom is my best friend. Though I don’t have many people to choose from. I also like his younger sister Juliet a lot. She works part-time as my uncles’ bodyguard and the other times as my bodyguard. She is very pretty and fit and only a few years older than my father. I often wondered why she wasn’t my mother.
My birthday was fast approaching. One day Arty asked what I would like for my birthday. I quickly told him that I wanted a computer. Within the week I was the proud owner of a sleek white Apple Mac with wireless Internet. I was pleased to say in the least.
Part 2- My Internet Friend
After I got my laptop I fell in love with the Internet. It was like a giant encyclopedia waiting to be opened. I could find out anything with a click of a mouse. I could buy anything. But even more than the information, I loved chat boards. About two weeks after I got my Macintosh I began talking regularly with someone who claimed to be a fourteen year-old girl who lived in Dublin. I wasn’t stupid. I knew that it could just easily be a 40-something man. I was a natural computer geek and I followed the trail of ions back to the person’s IP address. The computer was registered to Kari Gwen, age fourteen, of Dublin, Ireland. Her IP address was…
Kari Gwen. What a small world. The Gwen’s owned the property next to ours. Artemis had once introduced me to Dr. Leslie Gwen, Kari‘s father. Nice man.
After a month I realized that Kari and I had much in common. She was very intelligent and I didn’t feel it was fair that I knew who she was and she didn’t have a clue who I was. So I decided to tell her.
The next time I talked to her, I told her who I was. She was quite surprised. Then I invited her over to my house: that day at five o’clock. Then we both signed off.
I sat back from my computer. I would get to meet Kari at five. And have a real friend for the first time in my life.
At exactly five o’ clock I heard the gravel driveway crunching under the wheels of a car. I rushed to the door but Dom way already there. A girl and a man stood before him, looking slightly concerned for their safety. I didn’t blame them.
I walked over. The girl was short like me, only a few inches taller. She had long blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. She had a round, friendly face and was carrying a small, pink bag. The man standing behind her I recognized as Dr. Gwen.
I held out my hand. “I am Demetrea Short, or Fowl. You must be Kari. It’s nice to see you again, Mr. Gwen.”
Kari took my hand, Her embrace was warm and firm. “Nice to meet you, finally.”
Her father grasped her shoulder. “I guess you’ll be fine, Kari. See you tomorrow.”
“Bye Dad!”
I waved at her father then beckoned her up the stairs into my room. “This is my room, and you are as welcome to it as I am.” I was unsure how to speak with her. Formal or slang?
“Thanks!” She jumped onto my bed and patted the space beside her. “C’mon, sit by me. We have a lot to talk about.”
Slang, I guess.
Then she looked surprised. “Did you notice that your ears are kinda pointed?” she asked without malice.
I rubbed the tips fondly. “Yes, I got them from my mother.”
We talked for about half an hour about various things. We chatted about school, and how I was sooo lucky not to have to wear a uniform, how I didn’t have to worry about fitting in, and that I could sit around in my pajamas all day if I wanted to. I suppose I agreed.
“What are we having for dinner?” she said eventually.
“I don’t know.”
“I’ll be right back. Stay exactly where you are and don’t move a muscle.”
She bounded out of my room and I heard her heavy footsteps going down the stairs. She returned about five minutes later.
“Okay, you can move now.”
“Was I worried about you killing me if I didn’t? What were you doing down there?”
“Haha. Don’t worry; I was just helping preparing dinner.”
“What?”
“You’ll see.”
About 45 minutes later Dom called upstairs and told us to come down for dinner. At the dining table were two, flat, square boxes. Kari looked delighted.
“You did what I asked you to, Mr. Dom!” she squealed.
I tentatively opened one of the boxes. A wave of garlic-y smell washed over me. I quickly put the lid back down. “What’s in there?”
Kari looked astonished. “You mean you’ve never had pizza?”
I shook my head. “What is ‘pizza’?”
She opened the box and took out a triangular piece of bread with cheese and a tomato sauce base. “Only the best food on the planet!” She took a bite and a smile crossed her face. “Mmmmm. So good.”
I picked up a piece and followed suit. It was good. I finished that and had another. And another. Kari grinned.
“I suppose you like pizza?”
“Yeah, it’s delicious.”
After we finished the whole pie we went back upstairs and changed into pajamas. We talked well into the night. Around 2 am she settled deeper into the covers of my bed and stared at me.
“So, Miss Sheltered Life, what’s the deal with your mom?”
I turned away, though she couldn’t see my face in the darkness. “I never knew her. My dad says she died before I turned two. Whenever I ask him or Dom about her they just ignore me or change the subject.”
She gasped. “That’s so unfair! You have the right to know about your mom. You should demand to know.”
I said nothing, but silently I agreed. I did have the right to know.

Part 3- Concealment and Discovery

After several months of visiting Kari and persuading Artemis to let me go over to her house she had convinced me to demand that they tell me about my mother. I had finally built up enough courage to ask. But I wasn’t going to Father. I was going to Dom.
It was the perfect day. Artemis was out at a business conference. He wouldn’t be back until late in the evening. Dom was downstairs cooking lunch for me.
I walked down the staircase. I could smell the fragrance of cooked chicken and spaghetti. As I approached the kitchen my courage wavered. I had of course been planning about what I should say. But what if he said no I wouldn’t understand, or just plain ignored me? While I was beating myself up internally Dom put two plates of chicken parmesan on the dining table and looked up.
“Oh, I was just about to call you. Lunch is ready.”
I sat down on the opposite side of the table from the manservant. He was halfway through his plate when he noticed me stabbing moodily at my meal.
“You haven’t touched your food. I thought you liked chicken parmesan?”
I set down my fork. “Dom, may I ask you a question?”
He stopped chewing and gave me his undivided attention. “Ask away.”
“I want to know about my mother. I know she was a fairy. What was her name? How did she die? What was she like? How did she meet Arty? And don‘t just ignore me or change the subject. I have the right to know about my own mother!”
He didn’t look as surprised as I expected. “I was wondering when you would ask me this question. And I agree, you do have the right to know. But your father wanted you to figure it out on your own. I don’t think that’s fair so I’ll tell you all you want to know. No questions asked.”
“So you’ll tell me?”
“Yes. Eat your meal, it will get cold. It’s a long story.”
I began eating my spaghetti.
“You’re right; your mother was a fairy. Her name was Holly Short.”
Holly Short. I liked that name, it sounded like spring.
“Did you find evidence of fairies on the Internet?”
I shook my head. “I looked in the books we have in the library. I have always been pulled to books about the fairy folk. Pair that with my pointed ears, persuading ability, and…” I didn’t continue. No need to mention my mind reading power. “The Internet just made it easier.”
“It started with the Internet for your father.”
He began to tell me the story of how she and Artemis met. And it was long. He told me of the fairies living belowground, about how my father kidnapped Holly, the goblin rebellion, the C-Cube and Jon Spiro, Opal Koboi, and the demons.
I looked at the clock. He had been talking for nearly two hours. And I wasn’t nearly as shocked as I had any right to be. I merely found it quite interesting. Just interesting.
“Would you like to continue? Or do you need time to let it all in?”
“No, I want to know it all right now.”
He frowned and continued. “After the shock of being gone for three years and coming home to two little brothers wore off your father seemed to fall straight into love with Holly. And she loved him back.”
“You mean she actually fell in love with him after all that?”
“Yes, amazing isn’t it? Anyway, your parents got married after a few years of dating and falling for each other. Your father had just turned twenty-one, and everyone was completely shocked, including myself. Holly got pregnant with you two years after that.”
“Domovoi, how did Father feel…about having me?”
He seemed troubled, like he didn’t know how to put it.
“Well, he was young. Too young, he said. And he was moral, at least when it came to these things. He didn’t want to upset the balance. And they had no idea what it would do to Holly. It might break the rules of the Book. She could loose her magic, be banished to the Arctic, or even die. Artemis didn’t want to risk it. It had never happened before, and no one knew what it would do. But Holly wanted a child, and she was as stubborn as a donkey. She lied and told him she was using birth control. Then she got pregnant. She was elated but Artemis felt guilty. He wasn’t mad at Holly for tricking him, just incredibly ashamed. He fell into depression. He took good care of Holly but he barely ever talked to anyone. Not even me. When you were born…”
He paused, as if he was going to add something else.
“When you were born, he came out of his shell and I thought it was over. But his happiness wore off after a short time. It came back even worse. He was a great father and loved you dearly. But he was only twenty-three and Holly was just twenty-five in fairy years. I don’t think he ever forgave himself. He could’ve hurt Holly, and his child. That‘s why his shame was so great.”
He still looked visibly distressed. He was hiding something else and he was debating whether or not to tell me. I sensed that he was guilty of something.
“What is it, Dom? Tell me, because if you hide something from me now you will regret it later,” I said. I wanted to use my power now but I didn’t. He knew that I would be mad if he hid something from me.
“I’m not hiding anything,” he said, and I couldn’t tell if he was telling the truth.
“When you were almost two Holly fell ill. We just thought it was a cold or influenza but she just got worse and worse. Finally she called us and told us that she was spent. Her magic, her life force, was gone. She told me and Artemis to take care of you. Then she died. As far as your father is concerned, I cremated her body and buried her ashes on the grounds.”
“You mean that’s not what happened?”
“No. And I’m sorry I’ve hidden it from you all these years. I didn’t want you to be hurt.”
“Tell me, Dom. Tell me now.”
“Okay, fine. Well, when your parents got married and Juliet moved out, they needed a maid. I hired a young German woman named Xavia von Drussle to do the housework. She seemed nice enough to me and Artemis but she despised your mother. Absolutely loathed her. She taunted and teased her several times to the point of tears. I don’t know why it affected her so badly. Holly was a strong woman and generally didn’t take trash off of anyone.
“When she got pregnant, Xavia got more ammo to throw at her. I think this cut her so deeply because she was telling her what she already thought. She was a disgrace to herself, Artemis, and the entire Fowl family. As soon as I found out what was going on I immediately fired Xavia but the damage was already done. Holly was beat. She had no desire to hurt Artemis further.
“When she got sick it provided her with the perfect opportunity to escape. She could easily heal herself with her magic but she chose not to. She pretended to get sicker and sicker until finally she faked her own death. Of course, she had to have someone to help her and help cover it up. I was that person. I put her in a grave and helped her out later, then cremated an empty coffin. It was the perfect plan, and it fooled everybody.”
Now I was shocked. “Why?! Why would you do that? Why would you help her run away from her daughter and husband who loved her deeply?”
He sighed and tried to compose himself. I could tell he felt sorry. “Holly was so young. She had so much of her life ahead of her. Artemis was shielding her from the world. She couldn’t go anywhere besides this house because otherwise she would attract attention. He was trapping her inside his life. And I’m afraid he will do the same to you. Holly felt that it was best for everyone, especially you and Artemis, if she just started a new life underground.”
I felt overwhelmed. Emotions were washing over me over and over again like waves on a beach. I tried to cry, I really did. But the tears wouldn’t come. My breath kept catching in my throat. I choked.
“Dom, can I see her grave?” I said finally.
I would’ve walked the distance to Holly’s grave. It was a rare glorious day in Dublin. But Butler was nearly sixty and fifteen years older than he looked. Needless to say, we took the golf cart.
We rode for ten minutes in complete silence. There wasn’t anything to say.
Eventually we stopped at a group of trees. The spot overlooked the ocean, and I could hear the waves lapping at the cliffs far below. I wasn’t surprised I had never noticed this place. Of course I wandered the grounds on nice days, but 142 acres was a big area.
The three trees closest to us were an oak, a pine, and a magnolia. Their branches grew in and out of each other, and formed a canopy over the gravesite. A headstone of white marble stood by the base of the magnolia. I walked over. It read:

Holly Short Fowl
April 18, 1923- May 9, 2013
Beloved mother, wife, friend and fairy.

Even though my mother had never died and I had never known her, I found myself sniffling. I could imagine her in the magnolia tree. A faceless elf, long auburn hair flowing out behind her. Her feet were dangling below her, and she was laughing into the wind. I knew what I had to do. A plan was forming in my mind already.
“Dom, where is Tara?”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, watch think of the new and improved version? I'll post the rest in a few days or so. I already have about to part 7 or 8 done. Eighteen pages on my word processor.
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: Life of Lies NEW AND IMPROVED! Part 1, 2. and 3

Post by Cabaline » Wed 5th Dec 2007

Wow thats cool, I can't wait for the rest :D !

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Fri 7th Dec 2007

god, you are soo good! I'm jealous! Can't wait for the update.
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Sat 15th Dec 2007

1hollyfan wrote:I know my father cares nothing of time anymore, and he only keeps a consistent schedule for my benefit.

This caught my eye when I was reading a book that you suggested to me....I read this line:
The Society of S wrote:In my father's world, time had no meaning. I dont think he looked once at the grandfather clock in the library. Yet he kept a regular schedule--largely, I suspect, for my sake.

Coincidence? I was just noticing a lot of..sameness between what I've read so far and your fic. Not that it's a bad thing...I actually think it's pretty cool.
And sorry for the double post...just wanted to make sure you saw this!
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Mon 24th Dec 2007

Actually, I recommended that book so you would see the similarities between them. I started writing this fanfic before I read the book, but I changed the storyline a bit to be a little like Society of S because it's just such a great book.
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!