#22 Mother's Day Challenge

An Artemis Fowl game, open for anyone to join in. Read the stickied thread for details.
Kagoma_Kage
LEP Recruit

#22 Mother's Day Challenge

Post by Kagoma_Kage » Sat 10th May 2008

Well it's been far too long since any one said anything about Angeline Fowl that wasn't depressing, so in the spirit of Mother's Day let's put an end to that now.
This Challenge is very simple, I want to know what you think Angeline would receive as a gift on Mother's Day, as a quick twist you can chose any timeframe and any character for your entry. (Like something all the Fowl boys might ban together to do when the twins get a little older, or something Artemis gave her as a child.)
Entries should include a discription of the gift and the meaning behind it. (if it has one)
Good Luck.

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: #22 Mother's Day Challenge

Post by Meova » Sat 10th May 2008

Angeline received from her little son Arty breakfast. On her bed. And guess what? He made it himself. It was the first Mother's Day after Holly healed her, so he wanted to do something special. He wanted to give her something he had made, without help. He thought she deserved it. He made her a sandwich, how cool is that? With no help from Butler.
Needless to say, Angeline asked why he gave her a hurricane on a plate.
But, he also gave her a different present. He gave her a golden necklace, with a blue stone! (yes, the stone from TAFF) The stone was as blue as his eyes, and the eyes of his father. And the gold belonged to the fairies, until some time ago, when little Arty stole it. He wanted her to have something which she could relate to him. Even though she might not know where the gold came from, it was still a connection to Artemis. And a little tribute to Holly, without whom Angeline would never have been healed.
Last edited by Meova on Sun 11th May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sun 11th May 2008

Oh yay! FINALLY SOMETHING THAT I HAVE A GOOD IDEA FOR!!! YIPPEE!

Artemis didn't want to just be old-fashioned and give his mother a normal gift, like a gold locket or a cake. Heck no!

See, he decided to do this for Mother's Day.

He talked to Foaly and asked for some volcano lava enchanted so that it would only shape metal, and not burn anyone who it touched.

Then, he got some of the gold he stole from the fairies years ago, and he used the volcano lava to morph it into a solid gold flat thing sort of like a piece of paper, except gold.

Then he used the lava again, this time to engrave "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, MOTHER" on the gold.

And then, he gave it to Angeline. Angeline was very pleased and thanked her son and hugged him.

The meaning behind it was this: Even stealing things from fairies that aren't supposed to exist but do anyway behind your parents' back can sometimes lead to good things [IN FICTIONS], as demonstrated above.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Target Aquired
LEP Recruit

Post by Target Aquired » Tue 13th May 2008

Okay, I'm going to do this in narrative form, if that's okay. :D Let's give it a go! (For anyone who hasn't read The Lost Colony, there are spoilers).

----

Artemis sighed, looking at his pale face in the mirror. Black hair stuck out in spots, slightly unruly but not out of place on a just-awoken Artemis. He ran the tap and splashed cold water on his face, absently checking his fairy communicator for messages. Nothing, as he'd expected. Being a genius had its vices, and the absence of false hope was one of them. He was too smart for that.

It was Mother's Day, and Artemis was quite at a loss for what to give Angeline. Since his father's return, the family dynamics had been shifting decidedly toward more emotional values and less toward monetary values. When he'd return home from his jaunt through the mists of time, his family was bigger and had changed even more. Artemis had sat on an overstuffed armchair, casually sipping an espresso, and asked his mother what she would like.

Angeline had ruffled his hair. "Arty, we're a family again. What more can I ask for?" She had seen his unsatisfied expression, obviously hoping for a more concise answer. "Really, Artemis." she amended. "I don't need anyone to buy me anything. I just want us to be together as a normal family."

Which really left Artemis in a bind. Angeline had stated explicitly that she wanted nothing that he could buy (which was practically everything, after he'd patented a stolen piece of fairy technology behind Foaly's back last month). Touchy-feely gifts were not Artemis' strong point, so he had asked Holly for advice. She simply said, "Figure it out, Mud Boy. I'm not Martha Stewart."

Therefore, he would be recieving no help from Holly via the fairy communicator. Artemis absently combed his hair and brushed his teeth, racking his genius brain for ideas. There was one, of course-- but he was loathe to put it in action. There had to be another way.

Butler's knock interrupted his train of thought. The manservent entered, carrying the day's paper in his hands. Despite their departure from money, Artemis still started the day with reading the stock exchange.

It didn't take long for Butler to dissect Artemis' face. "Still haven't thought of anything, Artemis?"

The boy scowled. "I've thought of things," he said. "Just not the right things." Artemis opened his closet, rows of Armani suits staring back at him. Butler coughed behind him.

"You know, she has always wanted--"

Artemis cut him off. "I know, old friend, but..." He shook his head. "I'm just not sure."

Butler laid a giant hand on Artemis' shoulder. "She's been through a lot in these last few years. It's the least you can do."

He sighed. Butler was right, of course. Sometimes he regretted having a conscience. "All right, Butler. If you insist."

Artemis waited a moment until his bodyguard's steps had faded. He mentally steeled himself, then pushed past the Armani suits until his hand hit cotton.

His mother had gone shopping recently, and picked up a few things for Artemis. "The latest style," she'd said, practically bubbling with excitement. "All the boys are wearing this!" This had turned out to be a polo shirt with the silhouette of an eagle screened on to look like graffiti, a pair of khaki pants with big cargo pockets, and a pair of Vans shoes. A satisfactory outfit for a normal teenager. Not the son of a European crime lord turned do-gooder. The outfit had sat in the back of his closet gathering dust, with Angeline occasionally hinting at it here and there.

He picked up the polo and after a moment of hesitation, slipped it on over his head. The jeans were unnaturally roomy, and the shoes felt like he was going to step out of them at any moment. He looked at himself one last time in the mirror. He looked... normal.

Being normal for a day would be the perfect Mother's Day gift for Angeline Fowl.

He walked down the stairs (sounding like Santa's sleigh for all of the jangling those pants did), feeling quite unlike himself. Angeline was lifting Beckett into his chair and turned to see Artemis. Her face lit up, and it struck Artemis again just how graceful his mother was.

Angeline wrapped him in a hug, her perfume bringing back countless memories. "Oh, Arty!" she breathed, holding him at arm's legnth. "You look fantastic."

"Thank you, Mother," Artemis replied, coloring slightly. He felt the fairy communicator buzz and knew it was Foaly, making some smart remark. However, that didn't really seem to matter. He smiled. "Happy Mother's Day, Mothe-- Mom."

-----

Artemis in casual wear makes me laugh. :lol:

(edited because I was using the wrong names for the twins! whoops)
Last edited by Target Aquired on Wed 14th May 2008, edited 2 times in total.

...is in quasi-hibernation for a bit...
*--
" just across the wide-open green space, is it?"
YES, i am a devoted A/M shipper.
graphics by T A R G E T _ A Q U I R E D ~*
for my fanfiction "f e r m a t a ," go here or here.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Tue 13th May 2008

On mothers day Artemis made his father and Angeline a meal, but not any fancy sea food dish or anything like that. He made a family dish of salad accompanied with crackers.
Artemis had refused any kind of help from Butler, Artemis Sr and even Angeline! At first he had thought of making lasagne, but after cutting his thumb 3 times grating the cheese and almost setting the kitchen on fire he gave up. After 2 excrutiating hours Artemis went to the garden, picked a lettuce, some celery and oddly enough a parsnip. He also took a trip to the green house and picked 2 tomatoes. Back in the kitchen he simply chopped the roots off the vegetables and started hacking at them with a bread knife-he was very lucky not to lose a finger. Artemis then put the "salad"- complete with mud- on to 2 plates. The "salad" looked kind of lonely so Artemis reached in to the cupboard and brought out a packet of rhye crackers. Unfortunatly opening the packet he crushed the first 1/3 of the packet but after much mess making and crumb scattering he managed to get some whole crackers on to the plates.
Even though the meal was enough give anyone a heart-attack Angeline was over joyed with the extreme effort her son had made on her behalf and ate most of the salad with gusto!
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Wed 14th May 2008

Mine is also written in narrative POV, but whipped up in five minutes, because it really wouldn't have worked otherwise (I couldn't just explain it) but I don't have the time.
So don't judge on writing.

[Set two years after Artemis returns]

Angeline awoke Sunday morning to the proud sound of cheering. She opened her eyes drearily to be presented with a startling image.
Her three young boys-and her one old one- were carrying what appeared to be a rock covered in... was that mud? That was, for some reason, sitting on her best china.
"Mommy! We made you breakfast." Myles held a cup of what was probably some form of coffee. Though, Angeline had never seen any brand that was quite so green before.
Needless to say, the Fowl boys have some difficulty when it comes to cooking. In fact, Beckett was probably the most talented chef in the family. But, it was mother's day, and it seemed more personal to make their mother breakfast in bed themselves than to let the Chef (who had to cover his eyes in horror the entire time) do it.
Angeline was surprised when her family announced that the disaster on the plate was, in fact, a chocolate chip pancake with maple syrup. The presented it to her enthusiastically. Angeline sat there for a moment, staring at it. She was speechless.
"Aren't you going to try some Mom?" Beckett pushed it a little closer. She giggled and took a bite.
The boys watched her eagerly. Angeline swallowed it and winced.
Instantly Myles and Beckett's faces fell. She grinned.
"Sorry boys, but your father is no cook."
Artemis Fowl Sr. chuckled. "You don't have to eat it if you don't want to..."
The mother of three sighed in relief and pushed it away emphatically.
"Well you don't have to be so mean about it," Myles whined.
She rubbed his hair affectionately. "It's the thought that counts."
The boys pouted for a moment, but quickly bounced back. "Mommy, come see your present now!" They pulled on her sleeves.
Angeline was happy to abandon her food (using food in the loosest sense of the word) and proceed downstairs.
The boys led her excitedly and the two Artemises followed silently behind.
"Close your eyes! Close them!" the twins chanted. Angeline covered them with one hand and jokingly peaked through her fingers.
"Mu-um!"
"Alright, alright. But don't let me fall!"
Their tiny hands grabbed hers and they pulled her down the stairs quickly. She stumbled, laughing the entire way.
"Can I look now?"
"Not yet, shhh..."
She nearly fell onto the main floor. Myles and Beckett tugged even harder on her clothing.
"Ready... 1, 2, 3... LOOK!"
Angeline pulled her hand away.
In front of her there was a Christmas Tree. It towered, bright and green, filling up the entire room.
It was covered in decorations. Sugar Plum Fairies danced among the branches. And at the top lay a bright, golden star.
Her husband's voice drifted in from behind her. "They got the holidays confused, and I just couldn't say no."
Angeline turned to face her oldest child. He met her eyes, blushing.
"Sure... confused." She smiled
She loved being a mother.

Get it?
In case you don't: Angeline came back from her madness on Christmas. That was when happiness was semi-restored in their household. They had a little tender moment. It would also be the first memory she really had since her husband left. And it was the beginning of their mother-son relationship. Before that they were just people living in the same house.
I thought that Angeline would remember that. And Artemis would want to express it... but not really.
The gold star was fairy's gold. (but you probably got that)

Well, that's my gift, a Christmas Tree and Breakfast. :D
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Thu 15th May 2008

Argh >.> I always think my idea is good, post it (having come up with nothing better,) then other people come up and they have totally awesome i deas.. (No offense intended, I'm just starting to get annoyed by it..)
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Target Aquired
LEP Recruit

Post by Target Aquired » Thu 15th May 2008

HollyShort9 wrote:Argh >.> I always think my idea is good, post it (having come up with nothing better,) then other people come up and they have totally awesome i deas.. (No offense intended, I'm just starting to get annoyed by it..)

Hey, I like your idea. It was totally orignal. Leave it to Artemis to combine theft and Mother's Day... XD

...is in quasi-hibernation for a bit...
*--
" just across the wide-open green space, is it?"
YES, i am a devoted A/M shipper.
graphics by T A R G E T _ A Q U I R E D ~*
for my fanfiction "f e r m a t a ," go here or here.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Thu 15th May 2008

No way, I mean seriously, you liked it? Seriously? No joke? *stares*

MaeveCrowArtemis1
Council Member

Post by MaeveCrowArtemis1 » Thu 15th May 2008

Wow,great idea everyone!Very original!

Here is my story!

The day has finally come.First Mother's Day after affair with fairies.Artemis thought about it a lot.He knew that his mother will be trilled with any present from her little son but he wanted something special!She deserves it!Days after days he stayed awake the whole night trying to think of something different.Something that will make Angelina happy!Nothing!He had nothing!Mother's day came and Artemis was desperate.This is the first time he couldn't solve the problem.Then,after he woke up,he realised that he had perfect gift already.Angelina missed few years of his life.Just one small piece of happiness from past would be brilliant gift!He knew that there is no much time!Soon,he'll mother will be knocking on his door calling him to come and have breakfast with her.He needed to be ready!Is there anything from his past that is worthy to show her?!He stood there for a minute and then his eyes spotted that perfect thing!He grabbed it and took out the red roses he bought yesterday.He heard knocking.
"Artemis,breakfast.Do you want me to bring it to your room?"
"No,mother.I'll be downstairs in a minute"
He heard her leaving.After a few seconds he slowly opened his door.
He pierced into the kitchen.His mother was sitting and wasn't looking his way!He was standing beside her in a glance of an eye.He looked at him and smiled.He hugged her and said: "I have something for you,mother.I wanted to show you something.Something I haven't showed anyone before".
His mother was still smiling but she had that mysterious look in her eyes.She waited.There wasn't much to ask.He putted the roses in her favourite crystal vase.Then he showed her the thing that she missed.His last birthday.He was holding the picture of Butler,Juliet and him in his hands.He had that silly birthday hat Juliet bought for him.And,what was the most important,he smiled.
"Roses are beautiful,Arty"- she said and turned to him.Then she saw the picture!
"Oh,Arty!Your smile is even more beautiful then any roses in the whole world!Can you smile for me?Just once!?"
"Of course,mother.With pleasure!"
Then he smiled.It was more beautiful then in the picture.His eyes was so bright!Angeline hugged him strongly.Artemis hugged her back
"Happy Mother's Day"- he said!

Well,hope you like it :D
Image Image
Blue is the colour,football is the game
we are all together and winning is our aim
so cheer us on through the sun and rain
cause Chelsea,Chelsea is our name

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 15th May 2008

Target Aquired wrote:
HollyShort9 wrote:Argh >.> I always think my idea is good, post it (having come up with nothing better,) then other people come up and they have totally awesome i deas.. (No offense intended, I'm just starting to get annoyed by it..)

Hey, I like your idea. It was totally orignal. Leave it to Artemis to combine theft and Mother's Day... XD

I agree. It was funny.
Don't fish for compliments. You know it's good. ;P

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sat 17th May 2008

BlackOpal wrote:
Target Aquired wrote:

I agree. It was funny.
Don't fish for compliments. You know it's good. ;P

Actually, I wasn't fishing for compliments at all. I read over everybody else's, and then looked at mine again, and then I started to doubt my idea.

I mean literally. I actually seriously meant that I thought my idea sucked after reading everybody else's.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Sat 17th May 2008

I was teasing. ;)
I liked yours. Don't put yourself down! It was a cute idea.
If you put yourself down, you're just inviting others to do the same.
[/cheesygirladvice]
And what can you expect- you're competing against me. :P
Just kidding, obviously.

Meova

Post by Meova » Sun 18th May 2008

Wow, you certainly made some good entries while I was away! My chances of winning a price just flew out of the window... :(
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sun 18th May 2008

Meova wrote:Wow, you certainly made some good entries while I was away! My chances of winning a price just flew out of the window... :(

Ah, don't worry 'bout it. You're definitely going to get at LEAST third place.