#19: Original Character Challenge

An Artemis Fowl game, open for anyone to join in. Read the stickied thread for details.
Kagoma_Kage
LEP Recruit

#19: Original Character Challenge

Post by Kagoma_Kage » Mon 3rd Mar 2008

Have you ever been struck by the thought:
"I know I could come up with a better character than ____?"
If so, congratulations, this is the challenge for you!

Your task is to come up with an original character within the Artemis Fowl universe.
You're character may be any species, including those only existent within the pages of your algebra class notebook, any age and any relation to pre-existing characters.

Here's the form:

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Biography:
Story Sample: (A quick story tidbit from this character's point of view.) (Optional)

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: #19: Original Character Challenge

Post by HollyShort9 » Mon 3rd Mar 2008

I'm going to use a Greek name, to be original, k?

Name: Demetra
Race: A mix of pixie and human
Appearance: Blonde waist-length hair, pointed ears, and greenish-hazel eyes
Personality: Gentle, kind, determined, headstrong, and smart.
Biography: Demetra gets top grades in everything. She has more friends than enemies, and isn't popular, nor unpopular. Most people like her; the few that don't are just jealous of her ability to do anything. She's an orphan because her father died before she was born in a car accident aboveground (he's Human, then her mother got very sick after Demetra was born and died. She works in a flower shop in Haven and tries to help out at hospitals and orphan homes as best as she can. She cares for other people who need her help and tries as best as she can to keep her promises. Watch out if you make her angry; she's got a black belt in karate and is trained in ranging (she keeps her bow and arrows by her at all times). Her favorite color is pink, and she loves to act and dance.

/Edit: Added a bio.
Last edited by HollyShort9 on Thu 6th Mar 2008, edited 2 times in total.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Meova

Post by Meova » Mon 3rd Mar 2008

Name: Sarah
Race: Witch
Appearance: Black hair, tanned skin, blue eyes, normal nose *no warts or anything :P *
Personality: Afraid of challenges. She hates being a witch, but still has to cope with being one, however, she would still trade with anyone else alive. Her mood varies. When she's angry, watch out, she'll curse you within no-time. But when she's happy, she'll be your bestest mate in the whole universe. So don't try to piss her off.
Biography: She's the daughter of a fairy and a centaur. No one knows what they felt for each other, but they mated *let's keep it PG here :P * and the fairy *who was the mother* got her. She has the magic of her mother and the brains of her father, which makes her a strong enemy. She has never been to school, simply because she's too clever to attend one, she's read books since she was just 1 month old. Her grandmother is Holly Short, which explains why she's not that good in following orders. Her step-granddad is Artemis (60 years now), her real granddad Trouble. *Trouble and Holly got married, and divorced after 3 years because Holly had feelings for Artemis*. Lizzy is her best friend, and a fairy.
Story Sample: "Er, Sarah, I think we should get out of here." "In a moment, Lizzy, it's not that dangerous." Suddenly a big hand grabbed Sarah. "Witch, you are mine!" a creepy voice yelled. "Liz, stay there!" Sarah shouted, her voice muffled. "I can handle this!" "Ok, just yell when you need me!" Lizzy yelled back. Sarah started working on a spell in her head. Why the hell did she had to leave her athame at home now? And her rune stones. Why did she forget her purse anyway? Now she would have to help herself with everything she knew, which luckily was a lot. But wait... She didn't knew a thing. Her brain felt drained... like someone just stole all her knowledge. "Good guess, young lady. It's true what they say. You really are smart." The giant hand put her down. Sarah tried to run away, but her legs wouldn't move. She tried to scream to Lizzy, but she didn't remember how to speak. All that was left, were her thoughts. She looked on her hand. She knew she put a spell on there. She could still read, just barely. She thought it as hard as she could, hoping this would work. But instead of vanishing the hand, the voice, and the body which belonged to them, Lizzy vanished. Accidentaly she sent her home. Right in front of Sarah, a cage materialised. "My master will be so pleased when I bring him the witch," the voice gniffled. Sarah cursed the witch inside of her. If she hadn't been one, she wouldn't have been in this mess. But now it's too late to think about what could've happened. Sarah felt herself moving towards the cage, but she couldn't stop herself. Lizzy was gone, couldn't help her anymore. She was all alone...
Last edited by Meova on Sat 8th Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Tue 4th Mar 2008

Name: Leprose White (Or simply Rose for short, she really dislikes her name and considers it too crude, but Rose White appeals to her. It's romantic and powerful, if a tad cliché).

Race: Elf

Appearance: Rose has long, stringy brown hair. It is the colour of fallen autumn leaves. She is short, under three feet, and quite stocky. She isn't fat, but you would never see her running or performing any sort of physical activity. Leprose defends her chubbiness, and claims that it keeps her warm. She knows that her argument is flawed, because she rarely goes above ground and the climate is controlled in Haven. Her eyes are a forest green that she fancies look mystical. Her cheeks are well rounded and have a pleasant pink tint, her nose is small and pert. Leprose's ears don't quite point in the typical fashion, they are rounded in a very unseemly manner. She keeps her hair down, to hide what she considers her biggest flaw. While not unpleasant looking, she does not display any sort of beauty. She is plain and mistakable.

Personality: Leprose considers herself superior to the rest of the world. She can easily see the flaws of society, and will do you the favour of pointing them out whenever she can. Rose is sarcastic to the point of being cruel, and often speaks without thinking. After speaking this way to her "betters" (who she considers inferior to herself) she is always quick to apologize. After all, there's no sense annoying those who can do you harm. When insulting her peers she is sharp and unforgiving. She never apologizes to anybody who is her equal or inferior. Though, she truly believes that she is doing the right thing. Rose sees the injustice of her world, and only that. There are a few people who have earned her respect, but in her mind only someone who has been through hardship deserves any reward, everyone else is the cause of pain. She craves change in her world, but is too lazy to bother. Leprose also has a hypocritical view that nobody should consider themselves superior to another. All creatures are equal. She fails to see the irony in this belief.
Underneath all of that Leprose is a hopeful romantic. Her plain appearance and satirical demeanour hold no attraction for any man. She's never found the perfect man anyway. Leprose is always willing to help a person out, though she Lords it over them. Rose is clever, if not intelligent. She doesn't pick up book learning, but she can fool even the most educated Quantum Physicists. Her mind seeks ways to turn any situation to her favour, and often uses this talent to make money or get a bargain. She is not opposed to tricking people, she believes that they owe her anyway.
Leprose is also terribly vain, though she would never admit it. She doesn't care if people love her, but she wants them to know that she doesn't care. She doesn't want to be caught loving anything so flawed. It is an odd paradox, that leaves her awkward and distant at times.
Leprose does love her mother, and would do anything for her. Her mother is very quiet and soft spoken, therefore doesn't ask much. To Rose, her mother is perfect in every way.
Rose's greatest wish is to fight injustice and fix the world. Her flaws prevent her from gathering allies, so she has made no progress on that front. Though, it gives her purpose.

Biography: Rose was born to Viburnum and Aven White. Her mother, Aven, was a house wife, quiet and obedient. Her father, Vib, worked at the Nuclear Power plant. It didn't pay much, but he earned a steady wage and could support his family. They lived a loving and picturesque life, even if it wasn't luxurious. Viburnum died when Leprose was only 30 in a rare Nuclear plant leak. This had been the first in over 1000 years, and 10 people died. Rose and her mother were left on their own, which was unfortunate. Aven wasn't trained in any sort of trade, she had married as soon as she had finished all of her required schooling, and had set herself up at home to have her child. When Leprose started school, Aven went looking for a job. She was a fantastic seamstress, but no shop would hire a woman tailor. She made quilts and clothes herself for her neighbours, but it wasn't enough. The neighbours had paid what they could, out of pity, but it didn't make the steady income that was needed to raise Rose. They sold their house to move to a smaller apartment. Rose worked enough to get a student loan for University, she could not quite manage a scholarship, being mediocre grade wise, but she managed enough money to go away to a good school. There she studied technology for several years. She made a few friends, as everyone is bound to, and kept them for quite some time. The way she saw it, there was no point getting to know someone well enough that they could deal with her prickly exterior then tossing them to the streets. Still, she wasn't popular, and in general people avoided her. Her school experience was pretty run of the mill, but she had to struggle to graduate with top marks. Anything but that would not be adequate, the field was male dominated and to land a job as a female was hard enough as it was. Rose graduated successfully and was hired by Foaly, a paranoid centaur who worked at the OPS booth for the LEP. This excited her, she wanted to meet her idol, Holly Short. Holly had been scorned by the public, accused of murder, and had to quit her job because of her sex. Holly would understand her.
Of course, this was around the time that Holly disappeared for three years.
But now she was back.

Story Sample:

The Extinctionists... Leprose read. She knew that she shouldn't be sneaking around Foaly's files, but the stupid centaur shouldn't leave them open. Or, at least he shouldn't type in his password when Rose was facing the other way and wearing glasses. How careless of him. She had been working there for three years by now, but that didn't mean that she was trustworthy. He was so paranoid, she was surprised that it didn't occur to him that glasses reflect. It's not like he'd catch her, he was too busy examining the box of carrots that had been coincidentally delivered today. And it wasn't like Leprose was doing anything wrong, she had every right to read this email, she needed to know. It looked suspicious.
They wish to exterminate everything that is not human because any other species simply wastes space. Rose felt her stomach lurch, disgusting, of course they would. Sentient creatures of any sort consider themselves the best, whether it is better than another race, sex, or organism it didn't matter. Her hand shook as she scrolled down the page. They certainly were an interesting bunch, lobbying to destroy the earth for their own gain.
Not that the rest of the world is any different, but most people hide their wishes better. Rose brushed a piece of limp hair from her face as she continued to read it. She had heard it all before, Elf supremacy, male supremacy, it was there in every being on the planet.
Wait, here was a little note from the author.
Haven may be breached soon, they have found evidence of you.
Leprose's head spun. These creatures, these monsters, had found us? These bloodthirsty mudmen had discovered her precious civilization? Her heart pumped. Maybe she shouldn't have read this.
But why had the author said "you"? Who was it from? In her haste to read it she had skipped over the name. She pressed the arrow key and zoomed to the top of the page.
She really shouldn't have read this.

That was when she heard a whinny come from behind her. D'Arvit, she was in trouble now.

Okay, total Mary-Sue?
I hope not!
Maybe I should do my own Litmus test. XD

Sorry about the bad writing, but it was getting long as it is.

I hope you liked the names. :D I did some research. They're all plants, and white has some significance in regards to the mother.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

Kagoma_Kage
LEP Recruit

Post by Kagoma_Kage » Thu 6th Mar 2008

Hollyshort9: Nice, a halfling. It's alright to leave bio blank if you want.
Meova: A Witch huh? we've never had a Witch before.
Opal, wow that is certainly some entry, you can tell you put a lot of thought to it.

Holly Tall
Dwarf Thief
Location: A party. maybe. Oh! I know! i am on the moon partying with all of the aliens

Post by Holly Tall » Fri 7th Mar 2008

Name: Saramina
Race: Dwarf
Appearance: fat, short, black hair, one blue eye and one green eye, ragged and dirt covered clothing.

Personality: Saramina likes to eat dirt like most dwarves do, she always farts during a good meal of termites. If you get her cranky you better take cover soon because she could knock you out and kill you from strong...winds and unappetizing smells. If you are on her good side then you will get a warning of when to take cover and she will be nice to you, especially if you give her soft dirt and plenty of termites. She is kind hearted and mischievous, taking after her great uncle Mulch Diggums.

Biography: Saramina has a really nice house because she is Mulch Diggums' great niece. She is the most popular dwarf in her city because of her famous little currents. Most cowards avoid her thinking that they will get on her bad side. She doesn't want to kill anyone she doesn't like, but she won't warn you about dwarf happenings. Many male dwarves are in a club devoted to her because she is so popular. She will eat her way out of an situation and apparently many dwarves like her for that. Saramina's great uncle did teach her some things before he went to live Holly Short when they became engaged. One of the many things she learned was that Artemis Fowl is good for the most part and she occasionally goes and visits him. One day she ran into a bit of trouble....

Story Sample: I wanted to set a new personal record for digging and I also wanted to visit Arty. So I decided to go and eat my way up to him. I had never done this before and I didn't expect any problems. it was a little difficult to start though. But with Foaly's help it wasn't a big issue. Once I got into the dirt a little I decided to go up diagonally. The ground was unusually soft and I was propelling my way up after a little bit. Then a long while later I hit what Mud-Men call a pipe, I think. I banged my head much harder then what would be considered comfortable and found a termite to eat while I thought about what to do. How in the world was I supposed to get past this thing? I decided that I would go around it. I turned east not knowing that I was on the side of it and now going the wrong direction. I tried going up again many times and that kept resulting in my banging my head. Finally I decided to rest and I fell asleep. When I woke up I heard breathing beside me. There was Holly Short. My great uncle's wife! What was she doing here? Especially with something that resembled a gas mask?
"Why are you wearing that masky thing?" I asked. My answer came as a muffled reply that she didn't want to die underground because she came to help me and wasn't prepared for dwarf nature. she was after all married to a dwarf. Then she explained her plan. She had come to get me out and she brought some substance to blow up the hard cement. We got out of there and needless to say, the Mud-Men had some work ahead of them!

jadeprincess
Troll

Post by jadeprincess » Sat 8th Mar 2008

Name: Captain Jordan Kohl (LEPrecon)
Race: Pixie

Appearance: 3 feet 2 inches, quite tall for a fairy, extremely tall for a Pixie. Good muscles, smooth tan skin, big, deep black eyes, a shag of black hair that is always flopping in his eyes. Seeing as he is a Pixie, he looks about 13-14 years old- human equivalent. Not hugely over-the-top HOT, but quite nice looking.

Personality: kind of like Holly- strong willed, passion for adventure and rule-breaking - doesn't completely trust anyone, trusts his instincts, not a big sense of humor, popular with most of the other recon officers, fights a lot with the officers who don't like him very smart (won all of his high school science fairs). Not optimistic or pessimistic. Evil in my fanfic.

Biography: he has two (contains spoilers for my fanfic)
#1: cover bio- Jordan Kohl was born in Atlantis, to Xander and Marina Kohl. He is an only child but was never spoiled because his parents were too busy working. His family was very rich, even though they were minimally known. As soon as he finished high school- one year early- he applied for the LEP, at the same time as TLC. After only a month of starting out on traffic duty, he got called to the surface for the recon initiation. He only got hit once, and was accepted on the spot.

#2: real bio- Real name- Jordan Koboi (gasp!) He was born on the surface, to Mr. and Mrs. Koboi. There were never any birth records. He has a sister, one Miss Opal Koboi. (oh no!) He was never close to Opal, but they spent lots of time together, plotting. At the age of 7- human equivalent - he was separated from his family. As he was separated from his family, he never went to school, not that he needed to, after all, he is a Koboi. He spent his teenage years developping his intellect and his muscles, all the better to carry out his evil plans. When he heard that his sister was captured by the LEP and put in prison for life after murdering Julius Root and attempting to kill others, he started to look into her last revenge attempt. He found a record of Holly Short and Artemis Fowl escaping Opal's plan in the Temple of Artemis, he formulated the perfect plan. Then he applied for the LEP. He has now been upgraded to a LEPrecon Captain, under the pseudonym "Captain Jordan Kohl".

*I might add a story sample if I have time.

This is my first time entering a challenge! I hope it was good. This is a character from a fanfic that I am writing called "Troll Nasty". :D
Hola, ma petit kumquat!- Me
Holly/Trouble
yayayayayayay!
:D

Target Aquired
LEP Recruit

Post by Target Aquired » Sat 8th Mar 2008

Name: Akashi
Race: Demon
Appearance: A small demoness. She is somewhat fragile (or at least, as fragile as a demon can appear!) and has long, jet-black hair falling to her back.
Personality: She's extremely shy, actually to a fault. Her budding powers and taunting by peers (much like No1) have instead driven her so far inside herself she barely looks into the eyes of others. But, however, she does hold a flicker of hope inside of her that her life will change (which is does, when the demons are brought back from Hybras).
Biography: Akashi is also a warlock-- but she functions radically different than No1, Qwan, and Qweffor. Female warlocks' powers generally tend to rest on their emotions more than their thoughts, and due to having no formal training she can barely control herself. The secret of Akashi's powers are kept inside the ring of demonesses, because they are terrified of what Abbot and the other demons might do to them if they found out. Akashi makes a good scapegoat for all the tribe's problems and she's too afraid to stand up for herself... until she meets No1, Qwan, and Vinyaya (who has a soft spot for the demoness).
Story Sample:
Vinyaya sighed, her eyes once again falling to her boots. They were blood-red with crater dust from the crowds of demons they had been trying to herd into Police Plaza for processing for hours, and she wasn't sure what effect any laundry detergent would have on the noxious stuff. She cast an eye over the demons crowding in the lobby. They were a mixed bunch-- some were in awe of their surroundings (being out of touch for millenia would do that) and some hadn't quite figured out that elves weren't their enemies. These individuals were being pulled out of the mob and cuffed. Soon, Vinyaya mused, they were going to run out of cuffs.
Grub Kelp approached her, rubbing his temple. "I swear, Commander, these demons smell worse than a stinkworm. I can barely stand up for this migrane."
Vinyaya was not in the mood. "Take an asprin, Corporal. We have work to do here, or hadn't you noticed the hordes of faries?"
Grub frowned. He was going to lodge a complaint. "Pardon me, Commander. I wasn't coming over just to chat."
Vinyaya resisted the urge to roll her eyes and insted settled for twisting a strand of her silvery hair. "Than what did you come over here for?"
Grub checked his his fingers for hangnails while mulling over the statement. "Some of the demons are gathering around that glow-strip there, yelling and making a racket. Isn't helping my headache, I'll tell you--"
Vinyaya brushed past the irate corporal, drawing her buzz baton. If you wanted something done right, you had to do it yourself.
She advanced toward the site, clipping a few demons who didn't move fast enough. A group of maybe fifteen assorted demons were crowded next to a large glow-strip, yelling and throwing pebbles. She flicked up the setting on her baton and let a charge go in the air, efffectively capturing the demons' attention. "Next time that won't go in the air, demons," she growled. "Move it or I'll move you."
The crowd parted, revealing a tiny demoness huddled on the ground, trembling. Small wisps of blue magic swirled about, swirling in her hair and dancing about her skin. This was not normal.
Vinyaya tentatively placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, feeling the demoness recoil beneath her touch. "Hey," she said, trying not to spook her. "You okay?"
The girl looked up, speaking not a world. She was a tiny thing, shaking in her metaphorical boots. Not one to be in a mob like this.
Vinyaya heard Grub behind her, arriving just after the nick of time as usual. "Corporal Kelp. You wanted to get out of this crowd, correct?"
Grub brightened. "Yes sir, I mean ma'am."
Vinyaya smiled a little half-smile, pushing the demoness toward him. "You got your wish. Get this girl inside and stick with her until I come and get you myself."
Grub's face fell. "But--" He was silenced by Vinyaya's glare. Leading the girl away, he fumed to himself. An elf who had faced down a Mud Man... being put on babysitting duty. He should lodge a complaint.
Last edited by Target Aquired on Wed 12th Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.

...is in quasi-hibernation for a bit...
*--
" just across the wide-open green space, is it?"
YES, i am a devoted A/M shipper.
graphics by T A R G E T _ A Q U I R E D ~*
for my fanfiction "f e r m a t a ," go here or here.

Soulcatcher
LEP Recruit

Post by Soulcatcher » Sat 8th Mar 2008

May as well :)

Name: Alexander Stratford
Race: Human

Appearance: Tall and slender, Alexander has the frame of someone who, while not particularly athletic, enjoys fairly regular exercise. A keen fencer, he is fairly toned and has decent upper body strength.

He has sand-coloured hair that is cut short around the back and sides, but has a fairly longish fringe that falls into his almond-shaped, chocolate brown eyes that sparkle with intelligence and mischief. His nose is perhaps just a fraction too long in the bridge, and because he was born with a cleft palate (which was fixed when he was small) his smile is lopsided.

Personality: Alexander, known as simply Alex to most people, is a generally easy going, cheerful boy. He has a honed sense of irony and quick wit that can leave people either laughing or seething, and which he particularly enjoys using on his teachers and two older sisters.

He is an intelligent boy – though by no means a genius – but often takes this for granted, not doing homework or background reading and then blagging his way through his classes. Although this seems to work most of the time, his teachers all unanimously agree that, “perceptive, intelligent and capable, Alex would be an ideal student – if only he would hand work in.”

Ever charismatic, Alex’s laid back, friendly attitude to life has earned him many friends throughout his school, but there are none he would call truly close. Similarly, though seemingly popular with the girls there is no one he particularly likes. Though he laughs and jokes with them all, often he can feel quite lonely and separated.

Perhaps his two biggest flaws are Alex’s vanity and selfishness. The former arises from a scar that runs through his lip from where his cleft palate was fixed, and also from his occasional bouts of acne – the result of too much junk food, according to his mother. The latter comes from being spoilt, as the only boy in his family.

The only person Alex is completely devoted to is his baby sister, Lizzy, and if she were older she would probably be the only person with a measure of control over Alex. He spends much of his spare time with the two year old, reading to or playing with her, is extremely protective of her and would do just about anything for her.

Biography: Born to Robert and Lisa Stratford, Alexander was their third child and only son. His two older sisters, Kate and Ellen, were three and two respectively when he was born.

His parents had been told during the pregnancy that Alex had a cleft palate, and were offered the option of abortion. However, knowing that it could be easily fixed they vehemently rejected the idea. The cleft palate was fixed by a simple procedure when he was six months old, leaving a scar running through his upper lip.

Partly because of the cleft palate, but mainly because he was “the boy”, Alex was and is adored by both of his parents. While neither of his sisters is by any means neglected, Alex is certainly given special attention – his father is far less strict with him, and his mother is wrapped around his finger. One helpless look from Alex – which his sisters have taken to calling the “puppy dog pout” – and his parents will do anything.

Alex has a love-hate relationship with his sisters. They are in equal parts protective of their little brothers and exceedingly frustrated by him. They have a friendly sibling rivalry that often causes them to be at each other’s throats.

When he started primary school, Alex could already read and write fairly well and so was never occupied for long by the simple tasks set by their teacher. As a result he found ways to amuse himself that meant him getting into trouble. His teachers and parents decided that he needed an outlet for his extra energy, and so he began fencing lessons. As he progressed through his school years he got into less trouble, keeping a high grade average and also a love of fencing.

When he was thirteen, his younger sister Lizzy was born, and from the moment he first saw her in the hospital, with a fuzz of white hair and perfect, tiny hands that fit around one of his fingers he has been devoted to her. He often sings to sleep, reads her stories or just sits around playing with her. His name was Lizzy’s first word.

Because of his high grades, when he was fourteen Alex’s teachers recommended he transfer to a more prestigious school, Tudor Hall Secondary. Some of his old primary school friends were already there, and he quickly settled in. About a month ago, his class received an interesting transfer student; one Artemis Fowl.

Story Sample:

“Alexander Stratford, I would appreciate it if you would pay attention to my lesson.”

Alex started as a ruler snapped down on the picture he had been doodling, and he looked up in surprise at Miss Grey’s cool, irritated gaze. He grinned sheepishly, which caused Miss Grey to raise an eyebrow and look more closely at what exactly had been distracting him from her lecture on simultaneous equations.

Her nostrils flared angrily as she took in the doodle. “I see,” she said frostily, and before Alex could offer any apology she bent down and scribbled something on it in her red permanent marker.

“Your book.” She held out a hand, and Alex reluctantly placed his maths exercise book into it. Miss Grey flipped through it to the day’s lesson, and after retrieving a stapler from her desk, stapled the drawing into it. Handing it back to Alex, she said, “I would like you to show this to your parents this evening, Mr. Stratford. Bring me a note from them tomorrow to confirm that they have received it.”

“Yes Miss Grey,” Alex replied, giving her the apologetic smile that his mum could never resist, no matter how angry she was. Miss Grey sniffed and resumed her talk.

Alex sighed, and turned to the drawing to see what Miss Grey had written, thinking She needs to get that stick out of her –

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. He looked up briefly to see one of the Sixth Form Prefects sticking their head into the class, then back down at his doodle. This is what Alexander was drawing in my class today, rather than doing the work set on simultaneous equations, Miss Grey had written, Please beat accordingly.

Alex hoped she was joking. Still, it wasn’t even like she had set them work yet – she was still telling them how to solve simultaneous equations. Old cow, Alex grumbled to himself.

He was still annoyed when he looked up and realised someone else had entered with the prefect. A boy, who looked to be about his own age, with pasty, pallid skin that contrasted sharply with his raven hair. He was almost as pale as Carly, the albino girl sat at the back of the class.

The boy’s uniform was pristine, Alex noted – not just the clean smartness of a new student trying to make a good impression or someone after being caught by the head for a loose tie or shirt. This was the immaculate cleanliness of someone who actually enjoyed wearing the uniform.

Not a good sign.

While the prefect and Miss Grey talked, the boy looked around the class in a vaguely disinterested way. Catching Alex’s look, he turned to gaze at him directly. That was when Alex noted his eyes – one was a deep midnight blue, almost black, the other was a green-spattered hazel, rather like his sister Ellen’s eyes were. It was a weird effect, almost unnatural.

Despite the ominous uniform, Alex decided he’d better try to be friendly, and gave the boy his trademark lopsided grin. The boy smiled back, but it was less the smile of a potential friend, more the piteous but anticipating smile of someone who knows something you don’t. Usually something crucial to your happiness. Alex swallowed, suddenly unnerved.

The prefect, apparently satisfied, had left the class. Miss Grey cleared her throat and announced, “We have a new student, it seems. Just transferred from St. Bartleby’s, may I introduce Mr Artemis Fowl.”

Fowl shifted his gaze to encompass the whole of the class, and smiled again. Alex half expected him to spout vampire fangs, but thankfully he did. Instead he looked at them all in turn in a way that made everyone distinctly uncomfortable, and then uttered a single world. “Pleasure.”
Last edited by Soulcatcher on Sat 8th Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Meova

Post by Meova » Sat 8th Mar 2008

Kagoma_Kage wrote:Meova: A Witch huh? we've never had a Witch before.

Like no one knows where I got the idea from :P
ImageImageImageImage

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Sat 8th Mar 2008

Now I feel like I should write an actual story sample. :(
Can I be cheap and totally copy everyone else and write a long one^

Meova, you should've just put that she was Wiccan. XD
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

Kagoma_Kage
LEP Recruit

Post by Kagoma_Kage » Sun 9th Mar 2008

Great entries guys, I certainly see some awesome ones.
Judging this is going to be difficult.

Meova

Post by Meova » Tue 11th Mar 2008

BlackOpal wrote:Meova, you should've just put that she was Wiccan. XD

Nah, a witch is better, you can do more then :P I wish I had half the powers someone like Morgan (from Sweep) has... But that's only in books.
ImageImageImageImage

Kagoma_Kage
LEP Recruit

Post by Kagoma_Kage » Wed 12th Mar 2008

And The Results are In!

In first place it's Target Aquired!
The thing that put this on top as actully the story, you're able to keep up a vibe very similar to Colfer's which for lack of along-winded technical complement,is just plain awesome.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

2nd Place: BlackOpal
The level of detail here was excellent, and Leprose seems like a really complex character, plus the story hints at the next plot line without jumping to conclusions and the fact that you made the email address into an actual link was a nice touch.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

3rd Place: jadeprincess

I really like the idea here because the character's background is very easily perceived plus it's realistic in that it doesn't actually go agaisnt canon, but still defines a completely new and interesting storyline.

Thanks to all the entrants and congratulations to the Winners! ^_^

Target Aquired
LEP Recruit

Post by Target Aquired » Wed 12th Mar 2008

Wow!! Thanks! :D This is my first and I didn't expect to win.

If Eoin reads this page, I think he should put in these characters.

...is in quasi-hibernation for a bit...
*--
" just across the wide-open green space, is it?"
YES, i am a devoted A/M shipper.
graphics by T A R G E T _ A Q U I R E D ~*
for my fanfiction "f e r m a t a ," go here or here.