New search bar and also a delete post feature?

Ideas, comments, suggestions, submissions or anything else you would like to say about the website, or forums.
world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

New search bar and also a delete post feature?

Post by world is quiet here » Sat 22nd Feb 2014

So, you know the search bar at the bottom of the page? I think its not the best... So maybe we could get a new one that doesnt also search through google? I don't know, its just an idea.

Also maybe a delete button feature?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: New search bar and also a delete post feature?

Post by Cabaline » Sat 22nd Feb 2014

I'm not sure about a delete button but once upon a time we did have a search bar that didn't search through google but it was too heavy on the site and it made FG crash a lot. So I don't think that would work.

I know that mods have the option to delete posts, I'm not sure why it is only the mods. But I'm not an admin so I dunno if it is possible to give people specific "mod powers", um, I could ask Michael for you :)

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sat 22nd Feb 2014

Apologies for the double post, I got a reply from Michael about this:
We did used to have it, but it had a lot of issues, so we jumped over to Google search. You know as well as anyone how often we have server trouble, so I don't want to do anything to make it worse

For the 2nd one, I've wondered about that before too. The main concern for me was actually that it gave people the power to delete whole threads. If your post is the first post in a thread, then if you delete that post, you delete the entire thread. I never liked that because it gave people the power to delete other user's messages. I don't think you should be able to delete someone else's thoughts, without being a mod at least.

It also makes threads look a bit funny if you read over them later, e.g. people may look like they're replying to themselves.

People can still edit their messages and delete the content. All that's left is the fact that at one time, they did post a message. That seems a fair enough compromise to me.
And I tend to agree, you can edit a post to make it blank or say "Please delete this post". If you want a post to be removed then you can also ask the mods to do it and it's not troublesome to us at all. And we have had site drama here before and I know that if some users had powers to delete any posts they liked it would have decimated this place. So it's kind of a safety precaution too.

I'm sorry that there isn't anything that can be done at this moment in time. But rest assured that comments like this are always kept in mind :D

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Sun 23rd Feb 2014

Alright, nevermind then. :)