Shoutbox Idea

Ideas, comments, suggestions, submissions or anything else you would like to say about the website, or forums.
bentj96
LEP Recruit

Shoutbox Idea

Post by bentj96 » Tue 24th Jul 2012

I have an idea for the SB. I'm not sure if it will be possible, but could SB have a sound when somebody says something? That way, people can be working and still not miss anything.

-Dark Star
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Shoutbox Idea

Post by Battery » Tue 24th Jul 2012

That's not a set option that we have on the shoutbox settings, so if we did figure out how to do something like that we would probably need to edit the coding of the home page if it was possible at all, which I don't know if anyone here knows how to do or has the permissions to do >_> I may be wrong though.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Tue 24th Jul 2012

I think that a sound might be a bit hard. x'D Could it be possible for the browser you're using flash orange? Because on a chatroom, not an SB, but still, when someone posted.
Note: I have Windows which is old, and has your programs layed out next to start bar, the newer versions are different, I think. :3

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 24th Jul 2012

Again, we have very basic options for the shoutbox settings, and I don't think that would be possible without a fair bit of coding, which I personally can't access and I don't know if our current admins can ><

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Wed 25th Jul 2012

I can change the HTML... so I THINK I could put a new shoutbox in, one that has the notification.... the current one doesn't even offer that.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Wed 25th Jul 2012

^Would the new SB be like the FreeForum SB style? I can't really remember, but I think that one had a ding when someone would make a post.
You threw me a lifeline, I'm not throwing away my shot

BoboParadizo
Centaur Genius

Post by BoboParadizo » Wed 25th Jul 2012

Yeah, and I think that Mira's, um...Xat, I think? That shoutbox would make a sound too whenever someone posts.

CaptainMiraKelp
LEPrecon Officer

Post by CaptainMiraKelp » Thu 26th Jul 2012

Yeah, it's Xat, but I really don't suggest using it. Not a very good SB system, and it can be accessed by any random person from the Xat site.
To solve a mystery, you sometimes need to take risks.

rem
Dwarf Miner

Post by rem » Wed 29th Aug 2012

it's a nice idea but does anyone else have the problem of there posts not going on the shout box sometimes?

thanks for the sig Sara

TEAM FOALY!

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Wed 29th Aug 2012

^ Oh, I had that! It turned out the posts were going to the RP shoutbox, I think. You have to reload the page when you want to send the message, then type your message and send. Or at least that's what I had to do. Hope it works :D
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Wed 29th Aug 2012

^ That could be the issue, also remember that you need to only have one shoutbox open at a time - otherwise the posts get mixed up between the two of them x) Other than that it just gets spazzy sometimes, I don't think we really know why it decides not to post things sometimes ><