Spambots

Ideas, comments, suggestions, submissions or anything else you would like to say about the website, or forums.
Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Spambots

Post by Skyswallow » Thu 21st Jun 2012

I looked at the member list a couple of times and there are SO many users who have not posted ever and who's website is a company's! I forget if it's on here or on AFC, but I may have seen a thing in the debate forum about the Canadian Pharmacy Health company or something like that. What do we do about these useless 'members'?
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Spambots

Post by Battery » Fri 22nd Jun 2012

That used to be a lot bigger a problem than it is now, haha. But I think it probably was on AFC that you saw one post on a forum that wasn't the announcements - on FG the mod team decided a while ago that once we decide a user is definitely a spambot, we just ban them on sight so that they can't do any damage :) Sometimes we're not quick enough, or we're not online at the right time, but usually we get them before they can post anything.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 22nd Jun 2012

Idea!: Why don't we get this thing where when you click on somebody's profile, it give you the option to report them? And they get sent to the moderation panel or something and then a mod will check 'em out. Just an idea.

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 24th Jun 2012

I'm not sure that's possible, but it's definitely a cool idea :) Any of the admins know if that's an option on the control panel?

(Even though that may or may not work, if any of them ever does actually post something, you can always report them that way.)

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Thu 5th Jul 2012

Yeah, I kinda realized my idea was a bit pointless, because all alot of them do is put advertisments in their signatures, and don't actually post. ^^