Could there be a homework help forum?

Ideas, comments, suggestions, submissions or anything else you would like to say about the website, or forums.
heart_of_gold
LEP Recruit

Could there be a homework help forum?

Post by heart_of_gold » Sun 27th Nov 2011

Because I'm really dumb, and sometimes I just need help that older FGers might be able to give, and other people might need help as well...
So, is it possible?
Or maybe there could just be a homework help club? I don't know.

No honor, no glory, only blisters in unfortunate places~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDXTzvIB ... re=related
The best thing ever. <33333

[size=150]
ImageImageImage[url=http://dragcave.net/view/k7V3e]
Coudja please click on my egg{s}?

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Re: Could there be a homework help forum?

Post by FowlStar » Sun 27th Nov 2011

^^^ I'm not a mod, so I can't answer about the forum part, I dunno. I think it's a nice idea... but we do have a homework doc on google where Dommie and a few others do their work. If they're stuck, they ask and one of the older ones go and help them out.

If you want, I could link you. :awesome:
i write because you exist.

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Mon 28th Nov 2011

Personally, I think a homework help club or thread would be an awesome idea, but we'd have to remember that there's a difference between helping and cheating ;) But unless anyone else says otherwise, I would totally be for that idea :)

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Tue 29th Nov 2011

I really like this idea. :3 Lots of people need extra help with homework and things. If it becomes a club, I would so join it, I need help some times and I'm sick of guessing because I forget the steps on how to do the problems with math. v_v'
You threw me a lifeline, I'm not throwing away my shot

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sat 3rd Dec 2011

If you need help on your homework, it might be a better idea to log off and see a tutor. If you need help with a collaberative project (such as a poll for math class) that is allowed, but asking what year the Mayflower sailed is not okay.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 6th Dec 2011

^ But what if they just need help in knowing how to do a math problem? I know getting a tutor might be a good idea, but I personally can totally relate to not wanting to do that... I don't learn well in person on a one-on-one basis, and online with people I'm already comfortable with, it would be much easier for me. So I can see how people would want to have help from some of our older members instead of getting help from a tutor in real life... :) I'm definitely not suggesting we give them the answers to everything, but if it's possible to walk them through the steps to a math problem, or give them the tools to find something, I actually think it's a really good idea... :] But if you definitely think we shouldn't do it, then I'll drop it.

BLoemetje
LEP Recruit

Post by BLoemetje » Tue 6th Dec 2011

If you need help on your homework, it might be a better idea to log off and see a tutor.
That makes sense when you don't understand a subject at all, but if it's only one question, you can't go to a tutor. And then a forum would be most helpful.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Tue 6th Dec 2011

What if we created certain rules to prevent cheating? And created a sub-forum with four topics covering questions in Math, Science, Language Arts/English, History. Anyone who needed help could post questions, and other users could post answers.

Rules like

1. No asking for answers. (EX. What is two plus two)
2. People who answer questions can only guide the asker.

I dunno, I think it would be a great idea.

xox Miss Livia xox
Queen of Wonderland

Post by xox Miss Livia xox » Wed 7th Dec 2011

Even so, we could assist with other subjects, like if the younger ones need help with History or other stuff like that, they can ask on how to approach the assignment or to explain the questions for them, maybe.
like, 'Hey, I'm having a hard time understanding what the question actually wants me to do :/"
Or maybe explain the layout of an essay, report and other stuff, and suggest things that might help with their assignments.
I agree with AA, getting help from people you know and are comfortable with is better than an adult who you don't know.
I always get paranoid they're judging me on how stupid I am. :/
"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say, "No, this is who I am". You want people to look at you differently? Make them! You want to change things, you're gonna have to go out there and change them yourself, because there are no fairy godmothers in this world." - Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time.
Welcome aboard, lads and lasses. Let's see what adventures await us...

Join me:
~My Art page~|~My facebook ~|

BLoemetje
LEP Recruit

Post by BLoemetje » Tue 10th Jan 2012

Today I was talking to Kitty about languages and grammar, after which she explained me a lot about Croatian grammar. Stuff like that, because there are lots of different nationalities here, could be done too on a homework forum, and it lots of fun :D

jsreed5
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by jsreed5 » Thu 26th Jan 2012

Factual areas of schoolwork (how to conjugate a verb or what year an event happened) should be off the table. Subjects that require a process (such as writing a persuasive essay or how to apply a mathematical concept) should be the limit of what people discuss in a potential in a homework subforum.

Personally, I'd just sticky a few threads such as "Math questions here" and "French questions here" in a section and have people read through them before asking a new question (to see if their question has already been asked).

I'd be willing to help for any mathematical questions. It would actually be beneficial to me, since I'm entertaining the idea of entering into academic research, and tutoring others is a crucial skill for me to learn.

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Fri 27th Jan 2012

^ I really like that idea, actually :) Maybe one of us could keep a list of links in the first post to all the questions that had been asked, to make it easier. I'm all for this idea.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Fri 27th Jan 2012

^ What AA said.

We could have one person be in charge of updating each thread's questions. They don't necessarily have to answer them, though.

jsreed5
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by jsreed5 » Fri 27th Jan 2012

If this ever got off the ground, where would it go? My guess is a subsection of the "Other" forum…

I'm also assuming the section would need moderation of its own? We could maybe rotate who manages a given thread so that someone is guaranteed to update it every day. (Just throwing some very preliminary ideas out there)

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Fri 27th Jan 2012

I would think we could just leave it open to whoever was up for answering a question, since you never know who is and isn't going to know something :) One thing I think we want to avoid is over-organizing, because that might just make it unintentionally complicated and hard to deal with, hahah. But I would agree that it could be in the Other section. I'm going to post this in the mod boards, and hopefully we can reach a decision about it soon :)