Final Fantasy

PC, Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo and all the other games we love to play!
Jehuty
LEP Recruit

Post by Jehuty » Wed 8th Feb 2006

8 was poor, sorry to say it. A card system for magic? A particulary bad story, and the fact that the main character was confused with his sex. The only good thing about that game was the fact that Zell looks like Tidus.

MichaelM is my foe, dont listen to him he kills young children.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Wed 8th Feb 2006

Hey, that's your opinion. ^_^ Think whatever you wanna think of it.

It doesn't matter to me. :)
I know better than to pick a fight with a younger kid.
I ain't that low.
We're all entitled to our own opinions.. and it's good that you have your own.

And yeah, MichaelM--this sig is staying! Or I'll make a better FF8-themed one too. :D
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

Jehuty
LEP Recruit

Post by Jehuty » Wed 8th Feb 2006

Cool, your older than me, I couldnt see your age but Im gonna guess your about 17-20
Im only 16, Older than Michael =P

I want to know why you liked 8 so much? Tell me, NOW
Just curious because I wouldnt place it very high in a list of the best.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Wed 8th Feb 2006

Exiled Master wrote:Cool, your older than me, I couldnt see your age but Im gonna guess your about 17-20

Good guess. :) I'm 18.. turning 19 this year, actually.
You're as old as my younger brother, *LoL*.

It would be impossible to tell you right away why I like FF8 so much. Words just aren't enough. Anyway, I'll try..

Why do I like it so much?
I dunno.. Well as I've said, FF8 is the first FF I've ever played, so personally, there's some sentimental value attached to it.. The game's graphics were really advanced and cutting-edge at that time [circa 1999] and that's very impressive.. Let's face it, people complained that the FF7 characters were SD [Super Deformed--> cartoony, with big heads and tiny bodies], so Squaresoft made an innovation through FF8. If I remember correctly, Squaresoft first made use of motion-capture technology in FF8. There was more attention to detail.. and even the creatures had their distinct and very detailed mannerisms. FF8's technology is the basis for those awe-inspiring FFX and FFX-2 graphics.

The FMVs are great.. The character design is very impressive, too.. I also love the soundtrack, especially Nobuo Uematsu's "Liberi Fatali" orchestration.. Faye Wong's "Eyes on Me" lyrics were just so grammatically incorrect that it ruined the song for me, but aside from that, the whole soundtrack's still fantastic.

"A card system for magic?" I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but there is a card game in FF8. It's so complicated that I could bore you guys to death, so I'll spare you from that. In line with this, I have to add that you can also turn your enemies at battle scenes into playing cards. Collecting these cards [by winning them from card games or finding them in unlikely places] could be handy especially if you need specific rare items for upgrading your weapons. The card game itself is fun, you know. There's strategy and a bunch of rules and there's even a side-quest for it. A PC mini-game could be downloaded <a href='http://ttg.qhimm.com/' target='_blank'>here</a>. The card game's so addictive!

I have to say that I like the plot, too. The love story focus is a bit box-office material, but I still like it, though. The plot's good enough: mercenaries who don't know what they're fighting.. a sorceress who aims for world domination by merging time into one big chaotic event...they realize they're stuck in a time-link.. Hey, I like it. Definitely no more sequels for this FF because the plot could stand on its own. I know people who even came up with numerous theories and speculations regarding the plot.

Other details I like: the limit breaks were really awesome, the notion of SeeD Levels, magic drawpoints, going in outer space, the Ragnarok, a flying school... What more could anyone ask for?

*<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'> oh, such a long entry. Words definitely aren't enough..don't tell me I didn't warn you.. ;)</span>
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Wed 8th Feb 2006

Exiled Master wrote: Cool, your older than me, I couldnt see your age but Im gonna guess your about 17-20

Chuh - Good guess because i told you Darvit was in college!!! :P

And nice one darvit! Well explained :)

Jehuty
LEP Recruit

Post by Jehuty » Thu 9th Feb 2006

darvit wrote:
Exiled Master wrote:Cool, your older than me, I couldnt see your age but Im gonna guess your about 17-20

Good guess. :) I'm 18.. turning 19 this year, actually.
You're as old as my younger brother, *LoL*.

It would be impossible to tell you right away why I like FF8 so much. Words just aren't enough. Anyway, I'll try..

Why do I like it so much?
I dunno.. Well as I've said, FF8 is the first FF I've ever played, so personally, there's some sentimental value attached to it.. The game's graphics were really advanced and cutting-edge at that time [circa 1999] and that's very impressive.. Let's face it, people complained that the FF7 characters were SD [Super Deformed--> cartoony, with big heads and tiny bodies], so Squaresoft made an innovation through FF8. If I remember correctly, Squaresoft first made use of motion-capture technology in FF8. There was more attention to detail.. and even the creatures had their distinct and very detailed mannerisms. FF8's technology is the basis for those awe-inspiring FFX and FFX-2 graphics.

The FMVs are great.. The character design is very impressive, too.. I also love the soundtrack, especially Nobuo Uematsu's "Liberi Fatali" orchestration.. Faye Wong's "Eyes on Me" lyrics were just so grammatically incorrect that it ruined the song for me, but aside from that, the whole soundtrack's still fantastic.

"A card system for magic?" I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but there is a card game in FF8. It's so complicated that I could bore you guys to death, so I'll spare you from that. In line with this, I have to add that you can also turn your enemies at battle scenes into playing cards. Collecting these cards [by winning them from card games or finding them in unlikely places] could be handy especially if you need specific rare items for upgrading your weapons. The card game itself is fun, you know. There's strategy and a bunch of rules and there's even a side-quest for it. A PC mini-game could be downloaded <a href='http://ttg.qhimm.com/' target='_blank'>here</a>. The card game's so addictive!

I have to say that I like the plot, too. The love story focus is a bit box-office material, but I still like it, though. The plot's good enough: mercenaries who don't know what they're fighting.. a sorceress who aims for world domination by merging time into one big chaotic event...they realize they're stuck in a time-link.. Hey, I like it. Definitely no more sequels for this FF because the plot could stand on its own. I know people who even came up with numerous theories and speculations regarding the plot.

Other details I like: the limit breaks were really awesome, the notion of SeeD Levels, magic drawpoints, going in outer space, the Ragnarok, a flying school... What more could anyone ask for?

*<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'> oh, such a long entry. Words definitely aren't enough..don't tell me I didn't warn you.. ;)</span>

Actually suprisingly 9 was the basis for Xs graphics. They followed the model idea from 8 but it was 9s graphics system, you should watch the coke add made in FF9.

The card system that i was referring to was the draw system, you know where you absorb your spells from enemies and the little glowy thingys all over the place. I would go into talking about 7 but im being chased off the comp so ill talk later.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sun 12th Feb 2006

Anyway if I add my rebuttal to the statements you made above, I assume we'll launch into a never-ending debate. And that's just too pointless and immature.

I accept the fact that you absolutely LOATHE Final Fantasy 8.. and you deem FF7 superior to it [hey, I like FF7 too!]... and it doesn't matter to me, anyway. :)

So let's just end this and act like mature young people. We live in a free world, man. 'nuff said. ;)

Jehuty
LEP Recruit

Post by Jehuty » Tue 14th Feb 2006

OK then, lets discuss a game, I think this week we shall discuss FF1. Ill start us off by saying the story was great, as always, the original games graphics weren't up to the scratch of the time but the remake solved all of its problems. On emajor problem would be that it was very short in comparision to its sucessurs.

Artemis Fowl
Gnome

Post by Artemis Fowl » Thu 23rd Feb 2006

MichaelM wrote:

I have got to tell "Artemis Fowl" to come back here. Hes the biggest FF fan ive ever met! Your little FF file is nothing compared to his im afraid XD

Yes I am here..:)

Yes, I love Final Fantasy..:)

Talk about FFI? Ok..

Final Fantasy was more than revolutionary in the role-playing genre. Being the first game to feature enemies on the left and player characters on the right, the game also popularized turn-based battles. Much would still be developed in coming years, including the changing of certain aspects of the battle system: magic points aren't used yet, and the Active Time Battle system was yet to be implemented.
Final Fantasy I was released in the US in June of 1990, almost 3 years after it was released in Japan. By the time Final Fantasy I had been released in the US, Final Fantasy III had already been released in Japan. Nintendo, however, localized the game and published it in the United States, where it actually sold more copies than in Japan! Even though the success of this title was unprecedented for this type of game in the US, the sequels on the NES were never released in the states. This game practically created the RPG genre in the United States; it's importance to the development of the genre is quite influential.

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Fri 24th Feb 2006

lol - Welcome :P

And yikes - Sounds like FF1 = RPG God :ph43r:

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sat 25th Feb 2006

I couldn't add any more to that.. I've never played FF1! XD

Jehuty
LEP Recruit

Post by Jehuty » Sun 5th Mar 2006

darvit wrote: I couldn't add any more to that.. I've never played FF1! XD

WHAT!

Ok, why odnt people play old games anymore, they were the basis for all of the legends that we are playing nowadays. Come on people dust off the old consoles and get dirty!

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Sun 5th Mar 2006

Exiled Master wrote:

WHAT!

Ok, why odnt people play old games anymore, they were the basis for all of the legends that we are playing nowadays. Come on people dust off the old consoles and get dirty!

Cos theyre the old games :P

Ya know? The basis was nice. But now things have developed way beyond the basis, so things are far better nowadays :D

Not really a fan of retro tbh XD

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Tue 7th Mar 2006

MichaelM wrote:
Exiled Master wrote:

WHAT!

Cos theyre the old games :P

Ya know? The basis was nice. But now things have developed way beyond the basis, so things are far better nowadays :D

Not really a fan of retro tbh XD

I agree with MichaelM.

And not just that... I don't have time for video games anymore. :(

Hellspawn
LEP Recruit

Post by Hellspawn » Wed 17th May 2006

FF1 pwned. end of story :P

2 next maybe (our one or the japanese one thats what i wanna know :P)
Peace.

Creativity is dictated not by the state of one's mind, but by the content of their spirit - Anon