A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones

For movies, music and TV.
Battery
Ringbearer

A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones

Post by Battery » Wed 14th Nov 2012

Well! I am finally done with A Dance With Dragons, after four-ish months of reading this series, and I really, really want to talk about it XD I figure there are only going to be a few people who have read the series or seen the show, seeing as it is very mature, but for those of you who have... we must speak

So
yes
begin
ImageImageImage

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones

Post by Cabaline » Wed 12th Mar 2014

Ok, so me and my flatmate decided that we needed to jump on the bandwagon. But what with uni we don't have time to read the books so we watched all 3 series instead.
I think it is awesome. I especially love the female characters, I think Daenerys Targaryen is just amazing :awesome: She is probably my favourite. (Though I shouldn't have favourites coz they'll probably die). I really like Tyrion too, he is just so unlucky, he really does the best with what he's got and that's very admirable. I love the Stark sisters too, wow such strength, if I was in either of their positions I would be dead and I just think they are great women :D I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Marjory too coz she seems like someone who shouldn't be messed with!

If I'm right, series 4 airs next month and I am so excited :D
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Mon 9th Mar 2020

Came looking for this thread after replying in the Other Fandoms thread and laughed at the fact that you and I were already the only people to post here XD

Anyway! A conversation that is six years overdue XD
The female characters are great!! Although speaking with 2020 hindsight, I think the show did some most almost all of them very little justice, by the end. I feel for you if your favorite was still Dany when it ended :( That was an especially rough one
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Mon 9th Mar 2020

Yeah, the show was a dumpster fire by the end. They stomped all over the female characters and did them all the dirty. I hated Dany halfway through the second last season because she became less than one dimensional. So disappointing.

I am currently listening to the audiobooks again from Game of Thrones onwards, to help me get to sleep. My brother also got me A World of Ice and Fire and I love it, I'm reading a page here and there when I remember. It's os pretty and so informative :D
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 10th Mar 2020

For real. Sansa, too - it's like they thought she couldn't be a good character unless she lost everything that made her who she was in the books :? Empathy? Compassion? Nah, those are synonymous with naivete, right? She's stone cold now and Sophie Turner is not allowed to display an emotion other than "blank" and "contempt" for the rest of the show :roll: I hope she still winds up Queen in the North (are we still doing spoilers for this stuff?) in the books, though.

I'm imagining you gently falling asleep as the Red Wedding goes on :lol:
The World of Ice and Fire looks so cool! Although I do sometimes wish he would have used some of that time to finish the actual books first, but it's his life XD

Also, about those videos you mentioned in the other thread - do you have any favorites? It's been a long time since I've properly gone down the ASOIAF theory rabbit hole :lol:
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Tue 10th Mar 2020

Yeah same with Arya, is she independent? Is she protecting her family? Is she out for revenge? Is she trying to redeem herself? NOPE she's just a psycho killer with no agenda other than be weird and cold for the sake of the plot. Ugh.

Hahah, yeah if it gets to a good bit, it tends to keep me up longer coz I wanna listen :lol:

Oh man, honestly, everything Preston does is complete gold imo. He does a great series called "What You Are Missing" where he goes minute by minute through each episode and compares what you are seeing on screen with the bits that correspond in the book. He also does a "Prepping for Winter" series where he analyses the Winds of Winter sample chapters line by line. He has a series call "The Minds of Wolves and Robins" where he compares the parallels between Sweet Robin and Bran too.
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Wed 11th Mar 2020

Seriously, ugh. Ned was just about the only Stark who didn't have his character butchered somehow, ironically XD Actually, you could probably just expand that to "the only character" entirely tbh

Oh, that sounds very cool! And maybe a good way to catch up on what I missed on the show without actually having to watch it, lol. Just bookmarked his page for whenever there's time :)

I keep wanting to ask you what you think about x theory or y theory and just never knowing what to start with :lol: Do you have any favorite mysteries? The Valonqar? Azor Ahai?
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Wed 11th Mar 2020

Haha yeah I think you're right, Ned and Robert Baratheon are the only characters who weren't assassinated by Benioff and Weiss :lol:

Yeah his stuff is really really cool. Some of it is really off the wall, but he takes stuff from the text and convinces me that he's right every time :lol:

Hmmmm, I think my favourite mystery is the long night. I personally believe that it was a nuclear winter. I think that all these glass candles are just modern-day or slightly futuristic telephones. And I think that the mysterious black shiny throne on the Iron Islands that was around before the modern population and no-one can explain, is just plastic or synthetic material that doesn't corrode. I think a scientifically advanced race of people lived on the planet before a large scale nuclear event that plunged a great deal of the population into a nuclear winter. And I think that the population moved underground and lived in the joined network of cave systems which seems to run under all of Westeros.
I know it's a bit of a crazy theory. But I adore it :D
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sat 14th Mar 2020

Huh, that's a really cool theory! Can't say I've ever heard it before, either, which is pretty rare as ASOIAF theories go XD Where do the White Walkers fit into that? Are they the ones who lived there before?
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sat 14th Mar 2020

White Walkers in this insane theory are the people who stayed above land when the nuclear winter happened and mutated. These mutations within the same gene pool are making them get to a point where they are almost too different a race, so they are stealing humans to mate with so that their race can continue without becoming so inbred that they become a distinct species that can no longer mate. Same thing with children of the forest, their abilities got stronger because they were only breeding with their own kind, but they were willing to isolate themselves and become separate species.
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

That's really interesting! If the questions aren't getting old, what do you think is up with the coming winter? Does it have anything to do with the long night, or is it just that the environment was changed, or is it just a normal winter and everyone is overreacting? XD
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

I think it's a normal winter physically. But that the "Winter is Coming" is reminding us that what happened before still has ramifications and that the people who caused the first winter are still around and are reaching a crisis point, and they are willing to end the new world to restore their old one. An army that can control the dead are still dangerous, regardless of their motivation.
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Gotcha, that's a pretty cool theory :) It's really strange to think about something like plastic existing in that universe, it reminds me of all those shots of the actors holding Starbucks cups and the like. :lol: Although I suppose if that theory proves to be true, that might give them a bit of a retroactive out on those things, lol

Also, some of the most motivating writing advice I've ever seen:
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Yeah like I said, I believe all the crazy theories haha :lol: I'm 100% prepared to be very wrong, but if I am right I am hosting a street party :D

Omg yes that is excellent advice XD

What I am also super super interested in is all the people in Sothoryos. It's mostly unexplored and unmapped, and all the tales of the local peoples that we have from explorers are all so different and awesome. I really hope we get to find out more about it.
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Hey, I'm prepared to believe just about anything, tbh XD Plus, as long as the last couple of books aren't out, it's all sort of Schrodinger's ASOIAF Canon

And oh yeah, Sothoryos is such a big barrel of question marks! It'll be interesting to see if that's ever going to be explored in the main series at all, or if he's planning on doing some kind of spinoff or tie-in book explaining things
ImageImageImage