Salutations!

New here? Tell us a little about yourself. Or are you going away for a while? Holidays?
Kontiki
Mud-Man

Salutations!

Post by Kontiki » Sat 15th Dec 2012

I'm a little late to the game it seems, but here I am regardless. I'm Kon tiki, named for the trans-pacific expedition of six Norwegians (and a parrot) on a balsa wood raft, bound for the Polynesian islands. It's fascinating stuff, really. It's also an old moniquer for the Inca sun god and the name of my parrot, but I digress... :awesome:

In any case, You can call me Tiki. I grew up with the Artemis Fowl series and am somewhat, unreasonably attached despite the fact that the series has ended (and left me with a gaping hole where my soul once resided). This is essentially what led me to find this forum, and hopefully many like minded individuals who are also not quite ready to let the series fade out of the limelight.

I suppose I should talk about myself. Well, I work as a wildlife rehabilitator in a licensed facility in the U.S. Pretty much my entire life is consumed with my job right now, so I apologize if I go off on tangents. You probably shouldn't tell me about that pet raccoon you want either because I'm likely to list every single reason why it's a completely terrible idea, and you shouldn't do it. In any case, I mainly do the bird thing. That's my niche. If you have bird questions I'm your gal. I also raise and keep insects. Right now I have around 15 species of cockroach, a spiny flower mantis, several different types of millipede, and lots of various arthropods and isopods that I've collected.

Apart from my job I also dabble in a few other pursuits. I like music, and played a viola for seven years. I've been drawing most of my life, and just recently (in the last year) took up wildlife photography. You can view my work here. I also enjoy other things like Doctor Who, Sherlock and various anime series. I'm especially fond of spice and wolf.

I suppose that's really all there is to say. Now why don't you all get to welcoming me?

Eldewind Dolly
Gnome

Re: Salutations!

Post by Eldewind Dolly » Sun 16th Dec 2012

Kontiki wrote:I suppose that's really all there is to say. Now why don't you all get to welcoming me?
It's so nicely asked ^^^ :welcome: Well, I'm also a new one there, but I can welcome people anyway, can't I ?
Your photos on Deviant-ART are really greats *O* And if you like Sherlock, we probably will get along well =) I hope the sentence is correct, I translated the French expression with Google Translation so it probably make no sense ^^^' if you understand French, I've been trying to say "Nous allons probablement bien nous entendre" =) Oh, and by the way, may I ask just one question : do you speak French ? I'm just asking because of the title of your topic - and because I'm French =)

PS : I hope my English is not too bad... Feel free to correct any mistake =)
PS 2 : Have you ever heard about a band called REM ? =D
'' Plantée, debout, au milieu de mon rêve. ,,

Conduit E37, French Artemis Fowl forum !!!

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 16th Dec 2012

Why hellloooo there! We've met before in the shoutbox though :D

I'm Bang Your Drum..or Byddie if you prefer. I'm an admin here. I'm 19 and I live with my parents and 17 year old sister in the suburbs out side of Philadelphia. Currently unemployed/living on disability, but I'm applying to an internship/training program at a hospital (being a sort of orderly) My parent's both ave degrees from the school of Architecture at Virginia University.... but my mom isn't licensed (and my dad's degree was actually in city planned but he ended up as an architect, and my mom worked in the public sector as a city planner for a bit.. she now works for a non profit that gives other non profits design advice) Even though I don't share their love of buildings, I like places.. and world building, but not with fantasy stuff, more like a earth/human society, but with it's own quirks like every community has.
I also like dolls and toys..both making and collecting them.. I sew and sculpt 'em.
My favorite TV shows are Life on Mars, Doctor Who, Parks and Rec, Sherlock, 30 Rock, and Community.
My favorite bands are Neutral Milk Hotel, Abney Park, Tegan and Sara, Wolf Parade and Sunset Rubdown.
I want to get a job managing wardrobes for a TV show.. that'd be my dream job.
You have a parrot? That's pretty great I gotta say :D I had a friend in high school whose parrot knew how to whistle the Kill Bill theme song. I forgot to mention that I have a pet earlier.. Nick is my white/yellow lab... he's 14 and a half, and still doing very well.

You can find my tumblr here

Hope to see you around some more!
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

Felina
LEP Commander
Location: I fell off a pier once. The Kirkwall harbour is really deep.

Post by Felina » Sun 16th Dec 2012

Hmm... *glares at the age* 23, huh?

I am in a serious doubt should I glomp you, like every other newbie, or should I shake your hand to congratulate you on finding us XD

Anyways,

*glomps!!!* :D :D :D WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

I'm Kitty Marspian, from Croatia (Go google it :P), 14, wub cats, anime, David Tennant, Jack Sparrow, Heiji *fangirls*, Coldplay, ABBA, Queen, Frank Sinatra (Frankie. We're friends after all), Michael Bublé (Bubby *~*), Zaz, Lord of the Dance (GO GUYZZZZ!!!), cookies, muffins, Chopin and I train archery and play piano and love reading and am going to the best high school in Croatia, also known as MIOC also known as Matematičko informatički obrazovni centar (Maths-Informatics educational center) also known as 15th gymnasium. AND I was learning German in elementary, and now I have Latin. Sprichst du Deutsch? Probably not xD

I have read, and reread these stuff:

Artemis Fowl (first three books, others weren't translated in Cro and I fail with English ><)
Inkheart (all three books)
Other books by Cornelia Funke
Harry Potter (I owe all 7 books AND Beedle's stories, Quiddich(sp?) trough the centuries and book about the beasts)
The weed that strings the hangman's bag (and all other that go with that)
Eragon (All except last that's not translated yet)
ALL books from Miles Vorkosigan saga, at least 10 times each (except falling free where none of the main charries appear)
Agatha Christie (most of them)
The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel (those that were translated)
Dark Fire (and another book by the same writer)
Secret of Stonehenge
2nd Warrior cats book (dislike)
Septimus Heap (first three, I dunno if there's more)
Hunger Games (First and half of the second. Then I gave up)
One book from PJ, then I gave up
Ardov prolaz (Croatian book)
Luna (Croatian book)
Vampire academy (all 6, so-so)
Few books from Sherlock Holmes (loved it)
Savvy (<3)

Aaaand a bunch of others. Can't remember them all ._. Lame, huh?

Anyways, nice to meet you XD Note: I am also a shoutbox (SB) moderator, so dun spam when I'm around >D

Cya later <3
~Kitteh
I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

♫☂♫ ~Let's go dancing and singing in the rain~ ♫☂♫
Image Image

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows... Magic
I'm not hiding anything :p except SECRETS...
Shh... SECRET makes a woman, woman

I never understood a reason WHY to be serious??? if weirdness is awesome :D

*~¤~* *-°♣° × °♠° × °♥° × °°-* *~¤~*

Kontiki
Mud-Man

Post by Kontiki » Sun 16th Dec 2012

My goodness, where did all of these replies come from?

Dolly Your english is perfectly respectable considering that it is not your first language. Unfortunately I do not speak french, though I do speak some Japanese, and Italian. I've dabbled a bit in Irish as well, though resources are not great for it here in the states. Is maith liom Gaelge agus is maith liom Artemis fowl!

Byddie I love my parrot (Who is actually named Kon tiki himself) but he can be awfully feisty. He's a conure, so I don't expect him to speak nor to I necessarily want him to. I prefer my birds to make bird sounds. I have two doves as well. A kazan roller, and a common rock dove. Both of them are dumb as rocks, and one of them is mostly blind, but I adore them. There's just something I love about really stupid birds. Also Nicodemus, the Rock dove will cuddle with me because I hand raised him through work, and ended up taking him home when it was clear he wasn't fit to be released. The Roller is not nearly as friendly as I didn't raise her. She's my little attack pigeon. Which by the way, pigeon attacks are hilarious. They're just so... useless.

Kitty
I think I only found the fangathering because I finished the last book and have essentially been going into withdrawals. It's amazing how depression the end of an era can be. Artemis fowl is representative of my entire adolescence. Which is weird to say as I don't entirely feel like an adult though I suppose I am. Lucky for you, I DO happen to know where Croatia is. I had to hunt up information on a wildlife center there for someone recently. Not the easiest task I'll admit.

Felina
LEP Commander

OMG SOMEONE KNOWS WHERE CROATIA IS!!! :D YES! YES! YES!

*cough* hehe

Well, if you'll need any help with Croatia or that part of Europe (Croatia + Slovenia, Serbia, Bosnia, Monte Negro and Hungary), just ask me! :D 14 or not, I know how to find stuff on the Internet ^^ OR in the books <3 My grandma has it all.
I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

Image Image

Kontiki
Mud-Man

It'd probably be so much easier to find things in a language indigenous to the area instead of piddly searches in English. Glad I could make your day. ^__~

Eek. I've been going through the worst withdrawals since I finished the last book. I've been trying to fill the void with fanfiction and other series, and it works for a bit before I'm back to feeling an inexplicable sense of loss. It's surreal really. I didn't realize I was so attached. I may have to go back through and re-read them just to satiate myself for now. Maybe I should do a bit of my own writing. I'm always more inspired to write after finishing a good book.

Felina
LEP Commander

^Yeah, I would feel the same if I would suddenly finish the series. Like, walking down the road that ends on the edge of the cliff. You can't go back, so then you FLY! :D *hops*

Heiji~ <3 You should watch Detective Conan, it's an anime with a bunch of adorable kids and handsome guys *~* Heiiijiii~

Image Image

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Sun 16th Dec 2012

Hi, I believe we have met before in the shoutbox! I'm Parkur, and welcome to the forums! Umm, I'm having a Death Note go at the moment, as ya know... And we talked about paintballing together already...
I don't know what to say, but welcome

Edit:// since everyone's saying what they like I will XP

Um so I love skateboarding, my favourite musicians are Marina and the Diamonds, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Lady Antebellum, Swedish House Mafia, Skrillex... And so many more.
Last edited by world is quiet here on Sun 16th Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 16th Dec 2012

Well hello there, person of a slightly intimidating age :) I'm Kayley, but most people here just call me AA or Battery, and really whatever you like is fine. I'm an admin as well as Byddie (although I'm far less professional most of the time) so you can ask me things about the site if you need to, but it's not that complicated :]

Anyway, since we're listing favorite things, mine are Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, A Song of Ice and Fire, Green Day, Linkin Park, Merlin, Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Misfits.

Your job sounds really awesome :)

Okay well, as you may learn from any future interactions with me, I am very poor at talking to people, so I'm sort of out of things to say, but I hope you have a really great time here at FG ^_^
online more often than you probably assume
tumblr & ao3

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Sun 16th Dec 2012

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Hi, I'm Sky, I'm nearly 7 FGmonths old, and... yeah. I don't have much to say at the moment, except that we're all completely mad here, also completely awesome, and that I mainly post on forum games :3 Oh, and I think that smiley looks like a moustache.
I don't think I have any bird questions, but... I'll get thinking XD
So, yeah. That's it :D
:welcome:
Just realised, I think you're older than MichaelM...
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Kontiki
Mud-Man

Kitty I watched Detective conan for a long time before simply falling out of it because it was so long. I have trouble watching series with over 50 episodes because I feel like theres a point where the story needs to draw to a close. (Though I wish I could have milked a few more books out of the Fowl series.) I think I remember reading somewhere that Eoin might write more books in the same universe. So there's that hope at least. Although he did say that Arty's story is done. The way he left off with Minerva (Her basically falling off the face of the planet) makes me wonder if he'd continue the series with her as a main character. I'm not overtly fond of Minerva, but I think that's because I'm an A/H shipper and I resented her for getting in the way. I think I might learn to like her though if she carried on in her own series though.

Parkur I wish I had been able to get more in to Death note but I just couldn't. I love the premise though. Oh and speaking of paintball Here's a picture from when I cracked a rib paintballing. You may me remember me mentioning that. This was the most concentrated portion of welts on my body afterward. My boyfriend was joking that it looked like a panda.

AA I keep reading that as Artemis Anonymous (like alcoholics anonymous). We're all a little addicted, right? I know I could use a support group right now. I digress. I didn't realize my age would be so intimidating. I apologize. As for my job, it's kind of amazing. Though, I did get bitten in the lip by an eagle last week. It's not the first time either. Things seem to be attracted to my face. I was footed by a swan on my left cheek, I've had eagles bite my lip twice now, and a Raven bite my lip as well. I been taloned quite a few times as well, but never by anything larger than a Barred owl. Despite all that it's kind of the most amazing experience I've ever had, and something I don't plan to give up. It can be dangerous, but I'm careful, and I'm well trained to do it.

Sky I think a little madness is important for the mind.

CloverKitty
LEP Recruit

Post by CloverKitty » Mon 17th Dec 2012

Hello!!! :welcome: :welcome:

I'm Clover or Cloves, a fairly new newbie, and I love cats (obviously, there's one in my sig with a santa hat :) ), mythical creatures, a very long list of books (such as Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Warriors, etc., etc.), music, pie/cake, and this smiley :ipod: . And you can usally find me hanging around the SB or the random section.

So, have a good time on FG, and well, I guess that's all I have to say. :D

jsreed5
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by jsreed5 » Mon 17th Dec 2012

Hooray, now P5 and /b/ aren't the only ones to make me feel young here. XD

I am jsreed5, but everyone seems to have gotten into this strange habit of just calling me reed, which I guess is cool.

Full-time mathmatician, in undergraduate studies and tutoring on the side. The go-to guy for math questions and random mathematical observations, as well as a whole lot of Regular Show/Disney Fairies/Neon Genesis Evangelion/Hey Arnold! love. Also a notorious lurker…

That's about it. Welcome to Fangathering, and we hope you enjoy it here!

Kontiki
Mud-Man

Post by Kontiki » Wed 19th Dec 2012

Reed I'm definitely full of math questions. It was never my strongest subject. How old are you that I make you feel young?