Why the Report Button is Your Best Friend

Updates, new rules and anything else you need to know about the forum.
darvit
Council Member

Why the Report Button is Your Best Friend

Post by darvit » Sun 29th Jun 2008

Here at FanGathering, inanimate objects such as Buttons take centerstage as Everyone's Best Friends. These Buttons are the Search button [Image], the Spoiler button [Image], the Edit button [Image], and last--but definitely not the least--the Report Button [Image].

Today, we shall talk about why you should make the Report Button an important part of your FG life. 8)

The Report [Image] Button?

Yes, make the Image button your New Best Friend. Because moderators and admins are unable to check absolutely every post in this forum [we sometimes miss some posts unfortunately], it is up to YOU, dear FanGathering member, to alert us of messages that are off-topic, spammy, offensive, or break the forum rules. Thanks to the sheer genius of the Image button, it's like everyone's a moderator.

What Happens When I Hit the Report Button?

Each report ends up in the Moderator Control Panel where we would be able to see the latest reports. Keep in mind that all of your reports are read and shall be acted upon as soon as a moderator logs on. Also, though you may not receive immediate feedback, please be assured that we have received your confidential reports. The forum software doesn't have a receipt notice function for forum reports, but yes, we do receive them and we do read them. We shall contact you if there is any need to.

Why is Reporting Good?

Reporting basically works this way: you report a post, we check it out, and we perform the necessary actions. The best thing about this system is that it's fast, easy, and simple. :P

Aside from increasing our productivity, the reporting system basically rids us of off-topicness on posts. Instead of yelling at a user, you could simply hit the Image button and proceed with posting on topic. :P

Less tension and more on-topic talk is good for the forum. We'll be doing the moving/deleting/editing/notifying in the background to rid of the forum of unnecessary drama and off-topicness. This would increase post quality--and remember, quality is always always better than quantity. :P

So... How Do I Make a Report?

It's simple, really: click on the Image button and select the most relevant reason as to why you're reporting a post. Don't forget to include your comments on the space provided.

The choices on the drop-down menu are pretty much self-explanatory, but feel free to ask questions here if you need further clarification.

Hope this announcement made itself clear enough. :razz:

Say it with me: The Report Button is my Best Friend! :D

/EDIT: Please read these additions...

Could We Go Overboard?

Yes, it is possible but please remember that when reporting posts, report them because they really are spam, in the wrong forum, offensive, or promote illegal activity. Don't report a post simply because you don't believe in the other person's opinions, or just for the heck of it. Abusers would also get a warning.

Also, if you'd like to see an example of an abusive use of the report button, check out this screenshot:

Last edited by MichaelM on Tue 15th Feb 2011, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added /b/'s example. + Edited out the last paragraph since it sounded weird.
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

/b/
LEP Commander

Re: Why the Report Button is Your Best Friend

Post by /b/ » Sun 29th Jun 2008

The Report Button is my Best Friend!

:D

Also, maybe now I won't be the only one reporting posts :D

Also, it's worth mentioning that reporting is not considered back-seat moderating.

I love you guys :]

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Post by Feandril » Sun 29th Jun 2008

[Brainwashed Statement]: Being a snitch is good...

/b/ you spammy hypocrite! You spam more than 5 giraffes in a 5x5 cage with balloons! (boy am I not feeling good)...
Place My Body On A Ship And Burn It To The Sea
Let My Spirit Rise, Valkyries Carry Me
Take Me To Valhalla Where My Brothers Wait For Me
Fire Burning To The Sky My Spirit Will Never Die!

Shadow
Mud-Man

Post by Shadow » Sun 29th Jun 2008

*cocks head* What, are you dying or something? That would not be good...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Sun 29th Jun 2008

darvit wrote:/EDIT: Please read these additions...

Could We Go Overboard?

Yes. Please remember that when reporting posts, report them because they really are spam, in the wrong forum, offensive, or promote illegal activity. Don't report a post simply because you don't believe in the other person's opinions, or just for the heck of it. Abusers would also get a warning.

Also, if you'd like to see an example of an abusive use of the report button, check out this screenshot:

No really, how would you work your way around if not for me? :D

cathrel
Troll

Post by cathrel » Tue 8th Jul 2008

i LOVE THE REPOST ABUSE OF /b/!

CHEERS! LOL!!!

REPORT BUTTON IS MY BF! 8)

/b/
LEP Commander

Re: Re...

Post by /b/ » Fri 15th Aug 2008

Oh yeah, I totally agree! Also, here is that post so that everyone doesn't have to quote or copy paste to see the text :D

If I could save time in a bottle,the first thing that I'd like to do,is to save every day until eternity passes away,just to spend them with you,if I could make days last forever,if words could make wishes come true,I'd save every day like a treasure and then,again I would spend them with you.

World of warcraft PvP arena wow tier 4 wow tier 5 wow tier 6 china travel

Also, for the sake of sarcasm, I reported him :D

ArtemisFowlfan96
LEP Recruit

Post by ArtemisFowlfan96 » Sat 14th Feb 2009

Was that example real or did u just have him do that?
The world is a strange place....

Dr. Spencer Reid, played by Matthew Gray Gubler, on Criminal Minds, is the most amazing guy in the world. And HE'S ALL MINE!!!

The rain smells... interesting. It's... intoxicating. I can't stop... sniffing it. Don't worry... if I get... high....

"Do you think it's possible to feel homesick, even when you're at home?"
---Julie from Saturday's Warrior

Love hurts like a sharp arrow--why else would everyone draw an arrow through their hearts? But going without it hurts even more.

"I do my thing and you do your thing; you are you and I am I; but if in the end we end up together, it's beautiful."
---Topanga from Boy Meets World

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Sat 14th Feb 2009

ArtemisFowlfan96 wrote:Was that example real or did u just have him do that?

I did it for the laughs, and the copy pasted text from a bot I saw was real, it was a real bot (the time in a bottle guy :P)

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Thu 22nd Sep 2011

I sorta have a question about it.

Sometimes when i'm on a tablet, i have problems with the clicking and by accident click the report button. Then i just go back. Is the post still reported than and if i did that again by accident, should i just do that or do something else?

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Thu 22nd Sep 2011

That's happened to me before on my cell phone; it doesn't report a message unless you submit the form on the screen after that :) So don't worry about it.
online more often than you probably assume
tumblr & ao3