Forum Rules

Updates, new rules and anything else you need to know about the forum.
Lufgif
Centaur Genius

Post by Lufgif » Fri 17th Nov 2006

No reconfiguration without representation!

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Fri 17th Nov 2006

You should start a FanGathering trade union then lufgif :P

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by TomRK1089 » Sat 24th Feb 2007

Question: P2P networks in and of themselves aren't illegal; why then a ban on even mentioning them? For example, BitTorrent, though I'd say 90% of the material probably violates copyright laws, the proprietary software itself that allows the sharing isn't illegal.

If I've missed the point here, then I'm sorry -- comes from always being on forums where we winked at copyright laws.

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Gotcha, it's cool mate.

Just didn't want to say something that would be out of line with the rules.

nindra
Dwarf Thief

Post by nindra » Sat 24th Feb 2007

What about sites where you can legally download torrents (and only _legal_ torrents), are they allowed? eg. <a href='http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm' target='_blank'>Legal torrents</a> or <a href='http://linuxtracker.org/' target='_blank'>Linux Tracker</a>?
I see nothing bad on BitTorrent-technology itself so I think it shouldn't be "mention BT and get banned"-like, I don't support warez/piracy but I use BitTorrent sometimes to download some _legally_ free movies (e.g Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning) and Linux-distributions/live-CDs. Oh, and did you know that WoW's (World of Warcraft) update-thingie works also on BitTorrent?
"My bugs don't have bugs" --Foaly
"Life! Don't talk to me about life." --Marvin, HGTG
PHP-ASCII-Faery | AF Wiki | Haven City Stories - AF-MMORPG!

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Sat 24th Feb 2007

Sorry, but P2P networks and bit torrents just aren't a topic I want to have discussed here. I don't want people learning how to download illegal material, because of a thread they read on FG. :(

And there are good reasons for that. ^_^

1 - The very very vast majority of the content on those networks is illegal.
2 - It's getting to the point where the RIAA will file lawsuits against anyone who even Googles for Limewire. XD
3 - The main reason; On every one of those networks, you know how much adult content there is. The mods and I spend ages, every single day, deleting adult links from the forum, and even in the Funny section, I'm careful what sites I link to (Do they show ads for adult content etc?). Allowing people to discuss ways of getting p2ps would defeat the point of all that. :(

But of course, we aren't ridiculously strict here. You would never have been banned just for mentioning them TomRK. If you had told people how to get at them, then we would have deleted the post, and sent you a PM, but that's about it. :P

Nindra - Look at the client they use though. That will surely have a search built in, capable of finding lots of other torrents. :(

Linux Tracker seems fine though. ^_^

nindra
Dwarf Thief

MichaelM wrote:I don't want people learning how to download illegal material, because of a thread they read on FG. :(
Umm... You think most of the people here doesn't already use some sort of p2p-software (I might be wrong, though)? Besides, think about YouTube (and/or Google Videos), you actually can't even go there (or then you can, but...) if you don't want to see illegal material.

MichaelM
FG 5ever

nindra wrote:
MichaelM wrote:I don't want people learning how to download illegal material, because of a thread they read on FG. :(
Umm... You think most of the people here doesn't already use some sort of p2p-software (I might be wrong, though)? Besides, think about YouTube (and/or Google Videos), you actually can't even go there (or then you can, but...) if you don't want to see illegal material.

That's a pretty pessimistic outlook. XD

But yes, I do think that a lot of people here don't use p2p software. Many of our members are still new to computers+internet, or would simply choose not to download. I don't want FanGathering to be the reason that they start downloading. What would happen if they got caught by the police? Or if their computers were filled with spyware and viruses? What would their parents say? One of the first questions would be "Where did you learn all this?" and FG would be the answer... :(

And would you honestly say that YouTube is in the same league as p2p software? Look at the main reason I gave; Youtube does not allow adult videos. And it doesn't force you to download anything, so your computer is safe. And they <a href='http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/16765219.htm' target='_blank'>don't</a> encourage illegal material.

Why would you want people to learn about downloading from here? This is an Artemis Fowl fansite, for people to have a bit of fun. What need is there to talk about illegal ways of getting videos etc.? Surely there are enough other places on the internet for that, without people having to come to FG for it as well... :unsure:

nindra
Dwarf Thief

MichaelM wrote:
nindra wrote:

That's a pretty pessimistic outlook. XD

I use IRC, there most of the people does more or less warezing. In my neighborhood people downloads movies from the Net illegally. Even my sister downloads music, and I live in a country where police raids warez-people's houses. Yep, I'm a pessimist.

MichaelM wrote:And they don't encourage illegal material.
Nor does any p2p-software-thingie...

MichaelM wrote:Why would you want people to learn about downloading from here?
I don't. But I'm just telling you that making BitTorrent look bad/evil isn't right. (and that was my opinion. Because BT actually helps companies to distribute their free products without spendings tons of money to bandwidth)

MichaelM wrote:Or if their computers were filled with spyware and viruses?
Um... You know IE? You know ActiveX? You know how bad thing ActiveX is? You know how IE encourages users to click "Yes" when somebody wants to install who-knows what ActiveX-component so "you could see the site better" (and on the same make your computer spambot/zombie).

Yes, I'm a pessimist, but I've seen too many computers that has become Sllloooooowwww (one on my neighbor, tons of them in the school(s) I go/I've gone), just because of IE.

MichaelM
FG 5ever

I live in a country where police raids warez-people's houses.

Then you of all people should agree that promoting downloading isn't a good thing.

And they don't encourage illegal material.
Nor does any p2p-software-thingie...

They do. Not discouraging something can be as bad as encouraging it. Is any content removed from a p2p, because its illegal? Or adult material?

If I deleted all of the rules from FG and stopped moderating it; would that mean I wasn't promoting spam and obscene content?

Why would you want people to learn about downloading from here?
I don't. But I'm just telling you that making BitTorrent look bad/evil isn't right. (and that was my opinion. Because BT actually helps companies to distribute their free products without spendings tons of money to bandwidth)

I never mentioned Bit Torrent in the rules, or said anything to make them look bad. I just said that I don't want "Learn How to Download Here!" threads. And if you agree with me on that, then why are we arguing? :unsure:

Or if their computers were filled with spyware and viruses?
Um... You know IE? You know ActiveX? You know how bad thing ActiveX is? You know how IE encourages users to click "Yes" when somebody wants to install who-knows what ActiveX-component so "you could see the site better" (and on the same make your computer spambot/zombie).

Yes, I'm a pessimist, but I've seen too many computers that has become Sllloooooowwww (one on my neighbor, tons of them in the school(s) I go/I've gone), just because of IE.

This isn't about IE. I don't encourage people to use IE either. Have you ever seen a thread where someone said "Always enable ActiveX! Best thing on the planet!"? :unsure:

If they did, they would get a load of posts disagreeing with them, and people would be less likely to listen. But it's still not illegal. ActiveX doesn't give you immediate to access to just about every video, song and program ever sold. :blink:

And you've ignored the whole adult content part. I don't want adult content on FG, or linked to from FG. Ever. Why would anyone here want that? :ph43r:

nindra
Dwarf Thief

MichaelM wrote:I never mentioned Bit Torrent in the rules, or said anything to make them look bad. I just said that I don't want "Learn How to Download Here!" threads. And if you agree with me on that, then why are we arguing? :unsure:
Because I noticed text "BitTorrent" and people who said it's bad (at least I thought so)... :P

MichaelM wrote:This isn't about IE. I don't encourage people to use IE either. Have you ever seen a thread where someone said "Always enable ActiveX! Best thing on the planet!"? :unsure:
No, but FG isn't the only site where FGers goes to. I just meant that the spyware can come from other others sites, too. Mainly through IE/ActiveX.

MichaelM wrote:ActiveX doesn't give you immediate to access to just about every video, song and program ever sold. :blink:
In theory, it would. But there's no ActiveX-application (legal or illegal) that would do that. My point was that ActiveX is bad because crackers (note, not hackers, hackers are good people...) can get to (stupid) users' computers through it. And I said that IE encourages more or less people to install all ActiveX-thingies they see.

MichaelM wrote:And you've ignored the whole adult content part. I don't want adult content on FG, or linked to from FG. Ever. Why would anyone here want that? :ph34r:
I don't want adult content, either. And I don't disagree with you on that, so why I should argue about it?

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Because I noticed text "BitTorrent" and people who said it's bad (at least I thought so)... :P

Bit Torrents itself mightn't be bad, but what it is most commonly used for is. Therefore, Bit Torrents shouldn't be promoted here.

Eg. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Does that mean that guns should be legal though? (I'd say no, but that's a whole different debate. :P )

No, but FG isn't the only site where FGers goes to. I just meant that the spyware can come from other others sites, too. Mainly through IE/ActiveX.

It can. But there is no need to make FG into one of those sites. ^_^

I don't want adult content, either. And I don't disagree with you on that, so why I should argue about it?

Because that argument, and the p2p one, are one and the same. P2P networks = Adult content. That is the main reason that I will never want to see them on FG. :(

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Tangit, look what I've started. :D

It makes perfect sense to me, though -- this is your forum and I'm perfectly fine going by these rules. Just like on the Code Lyoko forum I used to mod on -- the company that owned it made it clear to us we were to avoid all the same things, for all the same reasons. It's a good policy to follow and avoids any potential legal issues.

shiaw_bing2000
Gnome

Re: Forum Rules

Post by shiaw_bing2000 » Thu 14th Jun 2007

yikes this place is a lot stricter than eoincolfer.com. didn't even know i could do all of those things. : - [

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Re: Forum Rules

Post by MichaelM » Thu 14th Jun 2007

shiaw_bing2000 wrote:yikes this place is a lot stricter than eoincolfer.com. didn't even know i could do all of those things. : - [

Don't worry, we aren't. ^_^

Look at the list of rules on EC.com:
............................................................................................

Messageboard Rules

............................................................................................

Welcome to the Eoin Colfer Messageboard!
We want to make this the best board around, but to do that we need your help. We want to hear what you have to say, but there are a few rules we need you to follow. Unfortunately, anyone who can't follow them may be banned from the conversation.

We will not tolerate messages which:

Are considered likely to provoke, attack or offend others.

Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable.

Contain swear words or other language likely to offend.

Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court.

Advertise products or services for profit.

Are seen to impersonate someone else.

Repeatedly post the same or similar messages (referred to as 'spam').

Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses.

Contain links to other websites which breach any of the rules of this board.

Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others.

Permanent bans may be issued if ANY of these rules are broken. Permanent bans ARE permanent. We will not revoke them. If a user receives a warning concerning their conduct on the board they must then change their behaviour or risk a permanent ban.

Inactive User Accounts

User accounts that remain inactive (zero posts) over one month from joining date will be removed.

Thank you.

Ours is half that size, and we are very lenient. XD

Don't worry too much about the rules here - Just be sensible and you'll be fine. :D