Shutting Down Soon :(

Updates, new rules and anything else you need to know about the forum.
MichaelM
FG 5ever

Shutting Down Soon :(

Post by MichaelM » Sat 10th Feb 2024

(If you're reading this as a long time member, I have a special request for you at the end!)

Hi all - I'm so sorry to post this, but I think the time has finally come that we need to close the shutters on FanGathering :(

This site has been live since 2005 (!!! :shock: ) and home to so many awesome memories for so many of us.

It ceased to be an Artemis Fowl site a long, long time ago, instead it become a safe, friendly online hangout spot for a great bunch of people at different phases of their lives.

I've kept the site alive so many years mostly so that when people remember FG and Google it on some random bored moment of the day, they're pleasantly surprised it's still here and hopefully get a little smile from it (like I still do :wub: )

All good things have to come to an end though. I check out the "Last Active" times for our busiest posters, and of course when the last posts themselves were, and we've gone quiet enough the last few years that it feels a natural end.

(I think a very special shoutout is due for Artymon here btw! You've single-handedly kept the forum active enough the past year or more that I've pushed this off many times just for you XD )

Cost is of course one thing (FG's never been about the money, 20 years and we never had a single advert or made a single penny. ), but more so that the tech underneath the site is just aging and aging. It's been clear for a long time that I can't find the time it needs to update it all and get it back into 2024 shape. Most of all, I'm worried that without that, someday it's inevitable that something malicious happens and someone gets access they shouldn't or abuses the site somehow. I don't like putting anyone at risk :(

There is no set shutdown date, I'd like to leave this post up a little bit so people see and get a chance to respond to...

A special request!

When the site goes, I will keep the domain and put up a little memorial HTML page to mark our time here. Hopefully when people do more of those late night Googles from year to year, they'll still find something familiar then!

If you have ideas of what should be captured there, please post here and I'll see what I can do?

It's your memory page. So if there's a quote or a particular fanart or most of all if you'd like to post a few lines on what FanGathering meant to you, please please do :)

Right now I'm thinking to use our iconic header (obviously!!), with a note similar to this one, then call out our biggest forum posters from all down the years, and maybe screenshots for the nostalgia of the different parts of the site (fanfics, fanart, media etc)

And last of all of course, a massive thank you to everyone who has contributed their time here in any shape or form over almost 2 decades. FG will always be an incredible memory for me, it sparked my passion for web development that hasn't slowed down one bit since. I hope it's been a happy memory for as many of you as possible as well!

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Re: Shutting Down Soon :(

Post by MichaelM » Sat 10th Feb 2024

Should also say that if there's a Discord or anything else that people here hang out on elsewhere and want to point to, go for it!

Felina
LEP Commander
Location: I fell off a pier once. The Kirkwall harbour is really deep.

Post by Felina » Sat 10th Feb 2024

nooooo D:

i mean i understand but im sad. it's super sad. iris and i have been here on a nearly daily basis for years :( i still use DMs to write my trash romance light novel before i publish it.

very sad turn of events but it makes sense

but still sad
I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

♫☂♫ ~Let's go dancing and singing in the rain~ ♫☂♫
Image Image

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows... Magic
I'm not hiding anything :p except SECRETS...
Shh... SECRET makes a woman, woman

I never understood a reason WHY to be serious??? if weirdness is awesome :D

*~¤~* *-°♣° × °♠° × °♥° × °°-* *~¤~*

lackingimagination
Gnome

Post by lackingimagination » Sat 10th Feb 2024

this is such sad news but i completely understand why it has to happen. this site was my first experience with fandom and the internet in general, and i have such fond, foundational memories of this place. thanks for keeping the lights on for this long! i'll never forget my time here :)

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sat 10th Feb 2024

It's the end of an era, but I completely understand. I have such fond memories of this place. Still, I think it's better to collectively have a chance to reminisce and say goodbye instead of the forum eventually, inevitably breaking down. Thank you so much for creating the forum, Michael. I think it's been a wonderful and safe place for all of us as kids and teens exploring the internet, creating international friendships and seeing several age/friend groups grow up and eventually fly out, but always having had this spot to return to and indeed get a little smile.
Thank you for keeping the lights on for so long! And thank everyone for making this such a lovely community!

I think the memorial HTML page is a lovely idea. As for suggestions, I've love for there to be something included from here https://forum.fangathering.com/viewtopi ... 5#p2759995 which I think was our last big reunion from forum members and grand achievement.
Image Image

Amber Root
Council Member

ily guys

Post by Amber Root » Sat 10th Feb 2024

I know I'm not the most active on here anymore, so I just want to give the warmest thank you to everyone here. If I had never stumbled upon this site back in 2011 - my life would be completely different. This was not just my first place to embrace writing, but it opened the door to my art and graphic design/web design. Without the positive exposure you guys had on me - the interests I have now would have never grown and blossomed into what they are today. Heck, I'm finishing my bachelors degree this semester to add to my music degree. Finishing goals I've talked about years ago, here! I guess it's sure to say we're finally all grown now huh. <3

I'll skim through what I can and see if I find anything for the memory page tonight.

I would honestly love to see everyone who hasn't joined the FG Discord to do so and share it with old pals. I know I don't talk there much, but I do read everything. lol

As for myself - I think it's time to post my socials.
Discord is the absolute best way to stay in touch with me, Instagram is good too!

For a few years now, I've missed this community and do wish I was more active. But life has taken it's toll.

Just remember that ily guys and always will. Thank you.

Omnia Sol temperat (The Sun Warms Everything),
Amber Root; dButler (2011-2024) | Kimbe
Mein vater, ich liebe dich.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sun 11th Feb 2024

Hi guys! I know it's been a while since you've heard from me.

I just wanted to express my gratitude to Michael, and to all of you, for this wonderful community that's defined so much of my life and has made me so many lovely friends. I currently moderate a number of communities and am often asked how I'm so good at moderating and administrating them, and I always cite this place as a big place where I picked up those skills.

But, while the forum may be shutting down, I have no interest in seeing the community do so. We do have an (admittedly somewhat sleepy) discord server here https://discord.gg/8jkCdabCa4

So, at the very least, you'll still have a shoutbox and some of the old familiar haunts, with some of the flavor of the old familiar faces.

Thank you again, Michael and Fangathering, for all you've done for us!! It'll never be forgotten

-p5ychic, AKA Dan

Josephine Fowl
Centaur Genius

Post by Josephine Fowl » Wed 14th Feb 2024

Oh god, it's so sad to see the site shut down after all these years. Like yes, this forum is old by now, but there are so many memories connected to this place.

You guys have really helped me through some tough times, both when I was a teenager on here ranting and talking my heart out, and as a young adult returning to reminisce. It's strange to think that it's kind of the end of an era for all of us.

I think many other of the slightly younger members on here might be of the same experience, Fangathering truly was my first encounter with fandom and fan spaces in general, and honestly nothing has ever compared since. You just can't get this degree of community anymore.

I'll forever treasure the time I spent here - with the people who stayed and the people who left.

Thank you all.

I'll see you guys on Discord <3
Found this old signature from FowlStar, thank you so much <3
An old image made by CaptainMiraKelp, thank you so much <3

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 18th Feb 2024

Is it bad the first thing I did was check the date? April, alas, is a ways off...

I've been staring at this screen for days, utterly clueless on what to say, or what I should say.

(I am utterly tickled to be part of the cause for lengthening the Forum's life a skosh <3 )

We say "end of an era" all the time on things, but man, this really is one.

We've all grown up on here in some capacity, made friends, made memories. Created entire stories and worlds and characters. Shared other interests, eagerly delved and theorized future releases. And then gone on. Grew up.

I can't pretend I've been the most amazing person. But I'm grateful for those that stuck around.

I think for me, this place was a bit like Neverland, I could come and have happy thoughts, didn't have to think about the real world and all its troubles. I'm grateful for all the times shared and I'm so proud of everyone for how they've evolved.

There's a song that I think is semi-oddly appropriate (well, relatively, I can be a bit of an inappropriate person at times):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dltPyCQ ... ollyRogers

I wish you all the best of luck and lifetimes! 🤘🤘
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch