New Info About Movie

Which actors would you like to cast? What do you want to see? What would you do if you were the director?
Amber Root
Council Member

New Info About Movie

Post by Amber Root » Tue 30th Jul 2013

Okay so, here's an article, the movie production is coming back.
Disney announced this afternoon that they have teamed up with producer Harvey Weinstein to develop a book-to-film adaptation of Eoin Colfer’s Artemis Fowl.

The movie will be based on the first two books in the Artemis Fowl series. The second one is titled The Arctic Incident.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix screenwriter Michael Goldenberg will handle the script for the live-action film, while actor Robert DeNiro and Jane Rosenthal will producer alongside Weinstein.

“With its balance of mystery, adventure and family appeal, Artemis Fowl is a natural fit for Disney,” said Sean Bailey, President, Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production. “We’re looking forward to collaborating with Harvey on this exciting project.”

“Harvey is one of the preeminent producers in the industry, with impeccable taste and creative instincts,” added Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. “I had a wonderful time working with Harvey during my tenure at Warner Bros., and I’m very happy to continue that relationship here at Disney.”

“If you would have told me five years ago I would be producing a project with Disney I would have thought you were crazy,” said Harvey Weinstein, Co-Chairman of The Weinstein Company. “I feel as though everything is coming full circle considering Bob DeNiro and Jane Rosenthal brought me this book while I was still at Miramax and within hours I told them I wanted the rights to the film. I am thrilled to be reunited with Alan Horn who I worked with while he was at Warner Bros. and we had tremendous success with The Aviator, Starsky and Hutch and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It is also exciting to partner with friends Alan Bergman, Sean Bailey and of course Bob Iger who has been incredibly generous to me over the years. This is a special project for me because my children absolutely love this book. This story is for everyone and there is no one better than Disney to make a film that will excite people young and old.”

Artemis Fowl is an eight-part series with more than 21 million copies in print. A release date for the film has not been set.

According to Disney’s press release, the book series “is about a 12-year-old Artemis who is a millionaire, a genius – and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn’t know what he’s taken on when he kidnaps a fairy (Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit) to harness her magic to save his family. These aren’t the fairies of the bedtime stories – they’re dangerous.”

Obviously, Disney has high hopes for a potential new franchise in Artemis Fowl. It’s worth noting that Harvey Weinstein and Disney famously parted ways after the Weinstein brothers left Disney-owned Miramax in 2005. Weinstein attempted to buy back Miramax in 2010 but was unsuccessful.
Mein vater, ich liebe dich.

Spudtron98
Dwarf Miner

Re: New Info About Movie

Post by Spudtron98 » Fri 14th Mar 2014

Alright, hold up right there. Most of this is looking good, but kidnapping Holly to utilise here magic to save Artemis's family? No. He was after the gold, ya morons.
"Did you think that I would FORGET YOU?!"

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Fri 14th Mar 2014

^With the ultimate goal of helping his mother and finding his father ;)
But yeah, I see your point... I hope they leave the 'Aurum est Potestas' thing in too :)
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Sun 27th Apr 2014

Rumored title Logo:

(Click to enlarge)

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Mon 23rd Jun 2014

Studio shortage threatens $100m Artemis Fowl film
Film board now seeks help to build new studios
Ireland's attempts to capture the $100m-budget Hollywood production Artemis Fowl, based on the fantasy novels of Wexford author Eoin Colfer, may be hit by delays in developing new studio space.

It is understood that senior Hollywood executives have visited Ireland in recent weeks to view potential locations and infrastructure. Disney and the Weinstein company are developing the movie, which has been given the green light to film. Industry insiders believe that the Artemis Fowl books could be turned into a major Hollywood franchise – becoming "the Irish Harry Potter". Filming movies of the eight books in Ireland could see investment well over €1bn from the Hollywood backers, generating thousands of high-quality jobs.

"This shortage of space is a serious issue and we would say that Ireland is losing business as a result. Whilst internationally, reaction to our new tax credit is very positive, there are genuine concerns about the lack of available studio space in Ireland to match the new business potential," according to Ardmore Studios boss Siun Ni Raghallaigh.

Ashford Studio founder Joe O'Connell has submitted a major planning application to expand his Wicklow Studio. However, his plans hinge on a change in government policy in relation to studios. Mr O'Connell has met with Taoiseach Enda Kenny and key officials from the Department of Arts and Department of Finance.

He is seeking to have treatment of studios changed from being classed as commercial buildings to being classed as strategic infrastructure. This would enable the studio to pay less in planning and development fees and business rates. Mr O'Connell estimates that he could pay business rates of up to €3m based on the size of his planned sound stages. This would render the project uneconomic.

Mr O'Connell believes that attracting Artemis Fowl to his studio would be an enormous coup and has pencilled in plans for a dedicated visitor centre as the jewel in the crown of his expansion project. He cites the experience of New Zealand, where 10 per cent of tourists visit the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit sets.

Last week, the Irish Film Board sought expressions of interest from key industry players about what they could commit to building if the State stepped in with an incentive package. "We believe that the changes to the Section 481 tax incentive have been very helpful and if there's something that can be done with the studios that would be helpful too," according to Irish Film Board chief executive James Hickey.

It is believed that high-level departmental meetings have discussed a government scheme to promote new movie infrastructure such as sound stages.

The shortage of film studio space has led to a number of movie projects being made elsewhere. Ashford Studios recently turned away a Chinese delegation as it did not have the space as it is hosting the $35m Vikings series.

Northern Ireland's film industry is becoming increasingly competitive, fuelled by tax breaks and direct grants. Northern Ireland Screen – the state film agency – has a £43m fund to attract productions. Northern Ireland has just snagged the Brad Pitt project The Lost City of Z, which may star Sherlock pin-up Benedict Cumberbatch.

It is understood that a number of international studios and movie infrastructure groups have considered building new facilities in Ireland.

Two industry sources told the Sunday Independent that Pinewood Studios, the home of the James Bond movie franchise, was interested in partnering with an Irish group about creating new studio space or facilities here.

A spokesman for Pinewood dismissed this, saying that the studio was concentrating on its expansion plans in the UK, after receiving the green light for a major redevelopment of its campus last week.