I'm Glad My Parents Taught Me To...

Anything that doesn't fit in any of the other boards.

I'm Glad My Parents Taught Me To...

Postby Cabaline » Wed 14th Aug 2013

Having a conversation in the shoutbox earlier, I realised that I have been taught stuff by my parents (and other members of my family) and that until now I didn't realise how important or useful it was.
So here you can post those little life tips that your family and friends have taught you and realise maybe just how much you owe them :)

For example:

I'm glad that my parents taught me how to wash clothes by hand because right now I don't have a washing machine, and if I hadn't been taught how to handwash I would be hopelessly stuck!
I'm also glad that my mum taught me to never throw left over cooking oil down the sink and to always dispose of it down the toilet, otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue what to do with the left over bottles that we had when we moved out.
I'm also glad that my dad taught me how to seal up boxes strongly and efficiently otherwise I would have been hopeless when I tried to pack up my stuff for summer storage.
Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: I'm Glad My Parents Taught Me To...

Postby Bang Your Drum » Thu 15th Aug 2013

^
Same here (though I have a machine and dryer thankfully)
I have quite a few items that are "handwash only" but I have no clothes line, or place to put one, so I wash one at a time, then put it on a clothe hanger and put it outside, on a hook made for a hanging plant.

I'm glad my mother taught me how to sew And how my parents instilled a love of learning/curiosity/cultural anthropology. I ma have complained all the times they've taken my sister and I on vacations and spent most of the time looking at buildings... but I feel the experience has shaped me as a person and as an artist.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction
Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Postby Cabaline » Thu 15th Aug 2013

^ Right now I'm washing maybe 6 or 7 things at a time and putting them up on a makeshift airer consisting of a box with holes in it :lol: But that again probably comes from my dad who taught me that I can make anything adapt to fit the my needs.

I am also thankful to my dad's ex-girlfriend for showing me how to remove candle wax from clothes such as jeans. It takes less than 20 seconds and now I don;t have to tiptoe around candles terrified of dripping any on myself.

I'm also super thankful that my dad taught me how to cook. When we were kids it was always me getting called in to help with the dinner and it bugged me, but over the years my dad has taught me some great tips and some beautiful dishes. It means that now I'm at uni I can cope with the cooking rota and easily cook dishes to feed from 6-10 people. Plus I don't often have to repeat dishes either which is awesome. I'm also confident when I experiment and none of my experiments have been failures so far. :D
Cabaline

Postby Cabaline » Tue 1st Apr 2014

*Sorry to double post but I think that it's important to honour your parents often :)*

I’m so glad that my dad taught me how to shop wisely. Me and my boyfriend can do our combined weekly shop for ~£20 or less. And for about 3 weeks out of the past 4 I’ve managed to make a dinner for 5 for under £5. Last week it cost only around £2.50, and there was enough left over for a midnight snack. :)
Cabaline

Return to Limbo