Amber magic

What do you think will happen in the next installment of the Fowl series?

Amber magic

Postby shadowsnake451 » Sat 30th Oct 2010

Spoilers ahead. Abandon hope all ye who enter (unless you've read it)

In TAC, Holly is badly injured and passes out in order to heal. When she is forcibly awakened by Foaly, she has not yet fully healed. Magic sparks still play across her vision.
Except they're not blue. They're amber. Wacky.

Holly dismisses it as age, but we know there is little to this theory as in TOD Root, who is much older than Holly, trys to heal himself after his ribs are broken. The sparks, described in the book, are blue. So the cause is not age.

After a long time of talking this over I have come to a conclusion.
Holly is losing her magic! :shock:

Maybe it is the human eye that she has gained- a plot gun that has taken a while to go off. Maybe it is the amount of healings she has to perform. I may be utterly wrong. But I'm pretty damn sure I'm right.
What does this mean? Will she be exiled, and forced to leave LEPrecon? Will she be able to live with Artemis, as this could hint at their species coming much closer together? Only time will tell. But I thought it was a pretty neat discussion point.

PS. Why did nobody look at "Atlantis code- decoded"? My first post and nobody looked. Trauma clinics aren't cheap you know.
Last edited by shadowsnake451 on Mon 8th Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowsnake451
You have to be crazy to know me
Lover of all things geeky- proud member of GEEK CLUB and FG SHERLOCKIANS

The people on Glee are not outcasts. They can sing, they can dance, they're good looking. The real outcasts in this world are sat in the corner, watching, plotting their revenge on the glee club.

shadowsnake451
Troll

Re: Amber magic

Postby theramagic » Thu 11th Nov 2010

I hope that that isn't true Idk what butler will do if holly has no magic!
TEAM ARTEMIS!
“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”
-Douglas Adams
theramagic
Troll

Location: I am NOT in my secret lair plotting to take over the universe! why would I be doing that...

Postby shadowsnake451 » Sat 13th Nov 2010

If Artemis regained his magic, then he could probably heal Butlerif necessary.
PS thanks for commenting- my first ever ever ever! You are now officially my new best friend!
PPS My theory is good evidence to an A/H pairing. They would be the only two of an entire new species. Think Adam and Eve. They would have to be together. :wub: :D
Shadowsnake451

The people on Glee are not outcasts. They can sing, they can dance, they're good looking. The real outcasts in this world are sat in the corner, watching, plotting their revenge on the glee club.

shadowsnake451
Troll

Postby theramagic » Wed 24th Nov 2010

True.. a&h are ment for each other, but I wonder if having no magic would shorten Hollys life? If so then even though it would make it easier for atremis and Holly to get together it would be kind of sad!
TEAM ARTEMIS!
“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”
-Douglas Adams
theramagic
Troll

Location: I am NOT in my secret lair plotting to take over the universe! why would I be doing that...

Postby shadowsnake451 » Sat 27th Nov 2010

True, but that means she'd die around the same time as Artemis. She still gets a long life so it's not so bad, but yeah, I would so cry.
Shadowsnake451

shadowsnake451
Troll

Postby theramagic » Tue 30th Nov 2010

this is a really good topic, great job coming up with it! :jump:
TEAM ARTEMIS!
-Douglas Adams
theramagic
Troll

Postby shadowsnake451 » Fri 3rd Dec 2010

Well technically it was my mum's idea. She's read Artemis and she's awesome at spotting stuff like that. But I had to translate the code at the bottom all on my lonesome. Which is ok, 'cause I know the alphabet off by heart. Nerdy yet true.
Shadowsnake451

shadowsnake451
Troll

Postby Uri-El » Fri 3rd Dec 2010

That's a realy good point! I wonder though, I don't think having the human eye could trigger it - remember Artemis is human yet he gained some magic, if short lived. My guess is that the eye might have something to do with it, but maybe the whole magic loss thing started in AF 1.

She went four years without performing the Ritual and she still had energy to shield when she was attacking the troll (true, her power did eventually ebb away). My idea is that something with the acorn - the acorn that was held within the mystical time stop over Fowl Manor. Maybe it was somehow afftected, didn't Root say in TAI the more you let an acorn sit, the more inert it becomes? I know he went on to say that if it hadn't been for the time stop, the acorn might not've taken.

Maybe the acorn, it's power on some sort of see-saw limbo trip, affected Holly to potentially receive less magic from an acorn than normal.

You definitely bring up a great point on the age thing being claptrap, rubbish, twaddle, baloney (as Mulch would say xD).

Of course, I guess it could always be that, once again, Colfer made a funny.
Uri-El
Troll

Postby E.N.HA » Mon 3rd Jan 2011

I do believe that Colfer had a brain fart when he wrote about amber sparks. Congrats, btw, on an excellent topic - I read this in the book and said, "Pixie poo! Holly's lost it. Did anyone else notice?" The thing with Root's ribs immediately came to mind. There's no way aging has anything to do with it.
All the explanations offered here are awesome, but I still think Colfer's produced another plot hole. This is because he has a character come up with an explanation that makes no sense for her to come up with. If she had come up with something plausible, then the alternate explanations might be true, but Colfer has goofed doubly: he's changed the magic colour and made a character forget things a rookie AF fan would know!
So annoying. Colfer's such an excellent author yet he goofs all the time! I could write a series on all the mistakes he's made...I love the guy, really I do, but... :)
I have nothing to declare but my genius. -Oscar Wilde
Which, being a genius, I shall not declare. I shall instead declare my paranoia.

In large friendly letters: DON'T PANIC. -Hitchhiker's Guide
E.N.HA
Gnome

Postby shadowsnake451 » Tue 4th Jan 2011

Yes. Mistake no#1- selling the D'Arviting thing to Disney!
Did that sound a little bitter?

Well, I'm sure that the switched eye has something to do with it. Some random bloke once said this on scriptwriting: 'If you hang a gun on the wall in act one, you must use it in act three'. Everything should be there for a reason.
Shadowsnake451

shadowsnake451
Troll

Postby E.N.HA » Wed 5th Jan 2011

He sold it to Disney? The movie rights, you mean? Wow. It's taking long enough. :(
I know what you mean about everything having to be intentional. It's just that Colfer seems to make such a point of having the sparks be amber, without a proper explanation, that the whole thing is ridiculous. Annoying as ****. Distracting. Ah well, I guess we'll be able to look forward to an explanation in the next book. :)
Which, being a genius, I shall not declare. I shall instead declare my paranoia.

E.N.HA
Gnome

Postby shadowsnake451 » Sat 8th Jan 2011

Oh frond, I hope so.
Yeah, he sold it to disney. The two songs are both sponsored by disney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OsWRM4CjH0
Shadowsnake451

shadowsnake451
Troll

Postby E.N.HA » Sun 9th Jan 2011

Hey, that's true! They are! I like the songs anyway. Especially "Atlantis: Complex". Verrrrrry catchy. Thanks for the link, I haven't seen this version.
When they make the movie they better not have these continuity errors. They really need to sit down with Colfer and hash the AF world facts out, because random errors in a movie are about ten times as difficult to hide as random errors in a book series. If I see amber sparks in the movie, or no explanation for it in the next book, I will hurl. Several things. :D

E.N.HA
Gnome

Postby shadowsnake451 » Sat 29th Jan 2011

Mmm, I hope they don't animate the movie...
Shadowsnake451

shadowsnake451
Troll

Postby Darth » Sun 30th Jan 2011

OMG, i pray that they don't animate it. The Hobbit was animated and that made me sooo mad. :twisted: My other concern with the movie is that they choose actors that don't embody the qualities of the characters.
Boldly going nowhere, because the Death Star destroyed it
Nerds will rule the world. And i intend to be queen.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies.
Darth
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Next

Return to Fowl of the Future