Artemis Fowl translations in other languages

Anything about the Fowl books.
Eldewind Dolly
Gnome

Artemis Fowl translations in other languages

Post by Eldewind Dolly » Thu 13th Mar 2014

Bonjour/Bonsoir tout le monde ! :)

This discussion came out on the "Did the ending satisfied you" topic, and to stop being off-topic lets discuss about it here :)

I dunno if other people round here have read AF in another language than English, but if there are - and it's very likely - have you noticed, or do you think there are differences between the version you read and the original ones, due to the translation ? Like some words or expressions that had to be changed so the humor and play on words could keep working, names that have, sometimes surprisingly, been translated...

As I'm French I read all the books in my native language, but I read the graphic novels in English - and I read a lot of fanfictions in English, cause in France we are not very productive in AF fanfictions >< - so I noticed a few things.

First, of course, the LEPrecon acronym. In French, the underground police forces are the FARfaDET (so the play on words has been maintained :D). The letters of the acronym refer to : Forces Armées de Régulation et Fées Aériennes de DETection ; I tried to re-translate back to English but I have no idea how the translaters came to this :shock: So if someone could tell what the LEPrecon acronym refers to, that may be interesting to compare the two !

Besides that, I actually didn't noticed many things. They changed the name of Trouble (probably a kind of short for Troublemakers, correct me if I'm wrong) Kelp in Baroud Kelp, nickname that comes from the... commandos de Récupération ? :razz: being known as the "Baroudeurs", which can translate as the adventurers, the fighters or the troublemakers. I'm not fond of this translation 'cause Trouble could actually work in French and Baroud is a ugly name >< It makes me think of sausages and body builders =___= (but I admit my mind sometimes make strange connexions)

I've got a (very) few others examples of differences but I keep them in the case someone answers this topic =O
'' Plantée, debout, au milieu de mon rêve. ,,

Conduit E37, French Artemis Fowl forum !!!

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: Artemis Fowl translations in other languages

Post by Cabaline » Fri 14th Mar 2014

Wow that is really interesting! I kind of get the general translation of the LEP but not so well that I feel I could write it down, but it is a kind of similar thing :)

What impresses me the most is how much history and culture is behind just one name. But yeah, I thought that they might just change Trouble's name to the french word for trouble or danger or something but it's so much deeper and more significant than that. What else is there?

How about names like Doodah Day and J.Argon?
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Eldewind Dolly
Gnome

Post by Eldewind Dolly » Sat 15th Mar 2014

@ Caballine : It surprised me so much when I noticed that in English it's Doodah-Day ! :shock: In French, his name is written Doudadais, I'm not sure but I think it's not exactly the same play on words... In French it's sort of a contraction of the words "Doux", sweet, and "Dadais", which means a moron and clumsy guy... Google Translate says "dadais" is translated "nerd" but I don't really agree with that... Anyway I've always thought that what a weird name, especially for the character cause I don't really see the connection with the guy's personality...

But J.Argon works perfectly in French too ^^
'' Plantée, debout, au milieu de mon rêve. ,,

Conduit E37, French Artemis Fowl forum !!!

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sun 16th Mar 2014

Oh wow, so even though it sounds almost exactly the same it has such a different meaning for you! :D I feel like I am learning so much :lol:
I'm glad that J. Argon works for you coz that made me giggle a lot the first time I read it :awesome:
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D