Artemis Fowl Book Eight: The Last Guardian

Anything about the Fowl books.
Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Artemis Fowl Book Eight: The Last Guardian

Post by Battery » Sun 15th Jul 2012

Oh god I'm crying, I thought I could handle it, but I'm crying so hard and I finished the book like five minutes ago jfc

I could handle the dying, I could handle the goodbyes, I could handle the clone stuff, but once the references to the first book started coming I completely lost it. I think at this point I was more in love with the series than the characters, and just it's changed so much for me and introduced me to all of you amazing people and it being officially over is a little bit emotional, and the last few sentences were just absolutely horrible, I had to stop a million times to kind of put the book down and sob and hug a pillow and be pathetic because it went so perfectly full circle, even if the rest of the book wasn't fantastically written and okay I'm done now, I'm sorry T-T
ImageImageImage

PastelBlue
Gnome

Post by PastelBlue » Sun 15th Jul 2012

I loved TLG. Loved.
"I was a broken boy and you fixed me." The emotions. And the orange rose's....so beautiful and sad.
When Artemis 'died' I pretty much froze, and I can't tell you how relieved I was when he was alive again.
And I'm so happy none of the main good characters died. Though Opal's death was still sad, and of course Nopal's was...It was bittersweet how Holly was so helpful to her, giving her sparks of magic and everything.

But this was a extremely satisfying book. The best end to any series I read.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you AFrules12!

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Tue 17th Jul 2012

Skyswallow wrote: However, I did notice a mistake... (and several grammatical errors the editors should have eliminated) Opal was put in a room made of super dense material fromthe crust of a neutron star. However, firstly stars have no crust -- they are made of plasma. Secondly, surely the material is only dense because of the star's massive gravity? If so, shouldn't it have returned to whatever the normal density for it's element as soon as it was taken off the star? Aah, I've been dying (not literally) to post that for days...
And don't forget the continuity (sorry if it's been mentioned, and I'm not sure if it should be in spoilers or not so...)Foaly's 'how I met my wife' story totally changed, Artemis forgot military hand symbols. Jeez, in the 5th book, he even explained it to everyone. Did Colfer like forget he wrote a fifth book? Sorry, but that's been annoying me for days. And yeah, now that you mention it, it is odd. I really don't know though, and then again, there's plenty of authors who don't do reasearch

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Tue 17th Jul 2012

I think that Artemis forgot a lot of that stuff during the time when he had AC...

Also,stars do have crusts, they just aren't solid. so if you cooled the materiel down enough then it would be solid (I think)
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Tue 17th Jul 2012

Well, Foaly shouldn't have forgotten how he met his wife
And also, just about everything will be solid if you cool it down enough, even hydrogen. And the neutron star... I'm just wondering how they got there. The nearest star (other than the sun) is light years away, and the earliest the fairies could have started flying was 1000 years ago (I think). I really don't think they could have teleported, and either way, once you get close to a neutron star, the gravity will be too strong for you to get a bit of it, and either way, it's heavy. How did they move it? (Well, I guess maybe they could have traveled to the star faster and faster, then go back slowly...or something.) Or maybe they went through z-space :P
But really, wouldn't it be easier to make it themselves?
Oh, and also once it's taken away from the gravity, shouldn't it just fall apart? Afterall, the strong force has trouble holding an uranium atom together

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Tue 17th Jul 2012

Answer to all those questions: It's a sci-fi series.

Except for Foaly forgetting, that's just digraceful.
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

artificialGenius
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Post by artificialGenius » Wed 18th Jul 2012

I'm not going to go into specifics, but I had a very whiplash-ish reaction to the last two chapters. In the second-to-last chapter (and the chapters that hinted at what happened in that) I was really angry and upset because oh my gosh, Artemis IS GOING TO DIE AND HE'S MY FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER. The last chapter made me really happy and it was kind of sad and heartwarming, especially with the last words of the series being the first words of the series as well. I really loved that.

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Thu 19th Jul 2012

Okay, I finished the book >.< I knew that I really shouldn't have spoiled it for me, but I was halfway through and just needed to know how it ends

LEPreconGirl
Dwarf Thief

Post by LEPreconGirl » Thu 19th Jul 2012

Oh god, that book... By the time he was talking to Opal I had tears rolling down my cheeks, and when the shield wouldn't- I stopped to cuddle a pillow and rock back and forth and sob into my pillow SO many times the last bit. It just kind of hit me right in the heart, and I can't believe that Eoin would do that, but it's also so bittersweet and perfect and now I LOVE Holly even more and LOVE Artemis and Butler and Foaly... He made me fall in love all over again while shredding my emotions.

And Foaly has kids, right? How weren't they mentioned? I ADORE Mayne, btw. But Foaly said a guy brings a beanie babie to work, and if they were going to confiscate a life sized cardboard cutout of Gandalf (well missed it, but he made it clear to me that it should have been confiscate it), unless they make beanie babies underground, how would human stuff be allowed into the LEP?
Not all those who wander are lost...

Team Holly!

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Fri 20th Jul 2012

^^ I was thinking exactly the same about Foaly's kids.

I have to say, I was much more shocked when Holly died in TLC than when Artemis died in TLG. When Holly died I put down the book and did my homework. I didn't want to read the book with my favourite character dead. Then I remembered who Artemis was and picked the book up again. But with Artemis, I guess it didn't really affect me as much because I knew it was the end, so in a way it didn't really matter if he was alive or not, but it would still kill accurate fanfictions.

Still best ending ever! I am so pleased it wasn't butchered (not that I was expexting that, of course)

bentj96
LEP Recruit

Post by bentj96 » Sat 21st Jul 2012

Personally, I didn't mind that Artemis died. I remember immediately recalling what Artemis said about spirits stuck tethered to Earth. Surely Artemis would not stay dead. But, when Artemis woke with no memories, I really just felt terrible.

However, I am writing a fanfic to fix that. Artemis will remember his life. :awesome:

-Dark Star
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Sat 21st Jul 2012

I know! I personally felt like the lost memory was only there so the first book can be linked. And what's with Foaly using an electron microscope to search for DNA? Just a normal one can see cells, and that's all you need for DNA.

Ichi
Mud-Man

Post by Ichi » Thu 20th Sep 2012

Well I was really waiting for the book and because I live in Poland and we don't even have title translated, I downloaded TLG U_U Yeah I know I'm a bad girl.
Though I'm a bit disappointed. Mostly because for half the book Arty acted like not him. I couldn't really accept him acting non-genius like.
But when he already decided on sacrificing himself and finally became his normal self I was glad... That was when the book really stared for me and I couldn't just put it aside.

Though there is one thing that really bothers me...Was that kiss on the forehead so necessary I mean the body was still reachable!? Even one hair would be enough. I know that it was meant to be theatrical and all, but in my opinion still way to out of character for our lovely juvenile criminal mastermind.

And I couldn't made myself to cry .-. I wanted really badly, I even made special ost for the two last chapters but I couldn't .-.
By~! I_C ~! Loooove

ArtemisFowlII
Mud-Man

Post by ArtemisFowlII » Mon 1st Oct 2012

I have actually read the book now, but before I read the book, I had this really bad feeling that Artemis would die. I won't spoil what really happens! :D
"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of. "
-Burt Bacharach

"You must believe in free will; there is no choice."
-Isaac Bashevis Singer

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
-Groucho Marx

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."
-Artemis Fowl II

"Trust me. I haven't been wrong yet."
- Artemis Fowl II

"Butler could kill you a hundred different ways without use of his armoury. Though I'm sure one would be quite sufficient."
- Artemis Fowl II

"Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with."
- Holly Short

artytwin
Gnome

Post by artytwin » Thu 18th Oct 2012

what happened when i read TLG:
as artemis called foaly and stuff, i got very suspicious.
as artemis was writing his will, i said: no. no no!
as holly came upstairs i said: OMIGOSH! CAN'T BE!
when he lay her on the couch, i was like: well... there's something that made me smile...

after it seemed that Arty was gonna kill himself, i was on a swing. when holly came running and butler held her, i was crying so hard. i couldn't stop goin: eeeeeheeee nauuuu!
and then, when he died, i screamed into my pillow. then i went and locked myself in the bathroom to read in peace! cuz the whole family was nagging about my moans(technically, i crawled there.)
i go in there moaning, then ten minutes later you here me: HE'S ALIVE! NO! I MEAN, YES! I LUV IT WHEN THE MAIN CHARACTER DIES BUT I CANT LIVE WITHOUT ARTY SO YAY!
no i am not obsessed! I JUST LOVE TALKING ABOUT ARTY 24/7!
no i do not love an imaginary person. YES, HE IS REAL! REAL I TELL YOU!
no i am not weird! I AM TOTALLY CRAZY!
If my heart thumps so quickly...When I hear his name
If I drool while reading books...About him everyday
If I cry when his heart...Is full of searing pain
If I laugh when he starts...To scare people away
If I sleep only to wish to wake...and see his shining face
If I eat only to wish to grow ...pointy ears but in dismay
If I live only to dream to join...the fun in his big game
If I breathe only to hope to be...by his dangerous side always
Then I love Arty fowl...And that love is here to stay ~ artytwin
my greatest secret:
<3 j’adore artemis fowl!<3