The Official Book 7 (The Atlantis Complex) Thread!

Anything about the Fowl books.
cookieninja
LEP Commander

Re: The Official Book 7 (The Atlantis Complex) Thread!

Post by cookieninja » Sun 15th Aug 2010

I indeed loved the book. Why?
Orion was hilarious and it was funny thinking of that personality in Artemis' body. Just think about it.
Juliet. Aaah, old friend, it was nice to see you. I loved Juliet in TEC, and I was OVERJOYED to see her back.
There were lot's of funny lines similar to the quirky AF humour we're used to. It had a similar feel to it, but the whole book was completely like a different plot from the others.
Turnball Root was very evil. Not Opal evil, but evil. I liked it. He was a good villain.

Reasons why this is not the best AF book yet.
The Pace! Oh my. I read books dangerously quick and had this book devoured in three hours. It took me that long, because I had to re read parts over again. Some parts we're missing on description and Colfer did not put an accurate picture in my mind. I had a hard time imagining most things. I haven't had that problem since I read Hit and Run.
How did Butler get out of that thing that they were in. The sac, or whatever it was. That would have been nice to know in more detail.
WHAT HAPPENED TO PASTOPAL! Colfer could have at least addressed the search for her or implied something. What, is she just going to come out of nowhere in the next book. Though many may not notice, it's nice to have a little set up.
The book was short! VERY SHORT! He could have written at least 25 more pages that would have slowed down the pace, addressed some things people WILL be craving to know, and added description.

Okay, I'm done now. I enjoyed the book, but TTP was better by far.
The best comedy around. Monty Python. Please, don't hesitate to look them up.
++++++++++
Number One Rule of the World wrote:Something goes wrong? Blame Pete Wentz.
Wentz not available? Blame Gabe Saporta.

Cookie Shamelessly Promotes Her Writing in Her Signature

Smokeberry
Goblin

Post by Smokeberry » Sun 15th Aug 2010

ShortRebel wrote:Okay, so I thought of something. In the last paragraph when mulch is asking Butler about Juliet wrestling against an officer there's this bit of dialouge:

"Ah," said Mulch, comprehension dawning on his face. "So I should switch my bet to Juliet?"
"You certainly should," said Butler..

Now given how those are the last sentences of the book and how A/H is lookin pretty impossible, as it really has been always, I sort of figured out another message in it. Colfer is telling us to switch our bet from Holly to Juliet as far as who Artemis will end up with.

What do you think?
Hmmm....That's an excellent point. Aside from adding humor, there isn't really a need for it. ^_^ So yes....Juliet/Artemis now seems quite likely. It's too bad--even though it's a bit obvious that Holly/Artemis wouldn't work out, it's one of my favorite shippings.

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Tue 24th Aug 2010

Okay I'm about halfway through so I chnaced a look at this thread and why hsnn't anyone mentioed Raine Vinyaya dying :cry: :cry: I used to write these massive fanfictions feturing her Julius, and Briar, and now thye have all been killed, I feel like part of me has died too...

As forA/H I never thought it would work out since of the enormous age gap. I definatly could se Juliet and Artemis together though.

Turnball is a good chracter and I'm glad he made a reapperance.

That is it for now.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Thu 26th Aug 2010

I likedd it.. giggled the whole way through.. shoulda been longer.. shoulda been more opal O_o I mean come on! and when vinyaya died I was like... what... thats it? no one seemed the least bit moved xD

artymon
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by artymon » Sat 28th Aug 2010

I definitely agree with some of what Meo was saying. Really? Nothing about Opal? Maybe, maybe that "rumor" about the Past Opal is kept as a rumor while the shadowy secret ops James Bond/Section Eight types try and round her up.
Trouble was a complete...doofus. He dares to pin Julius's death on Artemis? Insecure goon. Another thing I had been wondering ever since AF6: How did Trouble rise so quickly to the rank of Commander? Julius was made out to be many centuries old and was slated as "youngest ever full commander." How did Trouble Kelp leap from being Major to Commander in the space of three short years?
Vinyaya dying? What? That's outrageous! She was my third favorite female character! How??? Why? It seemed rather pointless...
Ark Sool, turned to the other side? I want to say that seems unlikely, if we remember correctly in Opal Deception, he had an intense dislike of criminals. Though I admit that by five he does seem a bit dodgy, giving subtle orders to kill fellow fairies (orders he probably would have turned around in case of a tribunal.
And that's another thing! Those fairies are always so concerned with covering their rears and trying to keep themselves from being submerged beneath a pile of red tape, how do they get stuff done?
Gotta admit, having Foaly in the field, on an actual adventure, that was an interesting twist. I am surprised though, no complaints or pointless vows to never leave the office?
Orion was awesome. Nuff said.
I mean come on, how could you not like that annoying little medieval dragon slaying knight born from the product of a magically corrupted criminal mastermind? Spouting off every ten seconds about the fair maiden of sweetness and asking the noble steed to check for birth marks - surely a chance to smite any overlord dragons...or possibly giant squids, eh?
Ah....the giant squid. Where's Indiana Jones when you need him? No!!! Don't answer that, we'll get caught up in a highly illegal role play xD
He definitely could have been the unsung hero...alas he was put to unfit use. :(

The book felt rushed. It seemed like there were few scenes to it: Artemis and Co. are exposed to yet another nefarious plot. Artemis, & Co. brainbox who the villain is and regroup. They get snookered into a showdown where the bad guy goes down.
Also there was only one main villain, as opposed to having a three fold plot, like TLC or TTP where one thing lead to another and another and another.

Possible explanation for Minerva:
Shortly after the events of Lost Colony, Artemis meets with her for a chess match and loses horribly. Minerva is disappointed with her idol and loses interest but secretly pumps him for information on the People and goes on an extended vacation (in reality getting a face lift and creating a new identity). She then launches a plan where she and Opal (both of 'em) can make a dynamic comeback and take over ze verld in book 8.

Overall I liked it. We were left at yet another cliffhanger but I guess we'll have to deal with it.

Also, also, Artemis, I am so bloody sick of your empty promises! For years now you've pledged that "if [you] survive this [you]'ll start exercising." But nooo here you are, relying on a Power suit (probably borrowed from Samus) to be your muscles as you attack a giant squid. And now you're supposedly promising to get interested in girls? You my friend are bad at keeping your word!

Lord Voldemort
Dwarf Miner

Post by Lord Voldemort » Mon 30th Aug 2010

Eh... didn't like the book too much. As usual we got the funny moments but it was just one thing after another, not enough spacing like with the other books. Also, the ending was a bit unsatisfying.

artymon

Post by artymon » Tue 31st Aug 2010

Extremely. In The Lost Colony the ending left a few ends that needed trimming, like how Artemis Fowl would explain away being missing for three years yet not having aged a day. (You know, this is off topic, but he probably could have just told part of the truth: I was sucked in a time stream.)

But TAC failed to turn the Opal stone, barely nudging it. Just a few mentions. To be honest, it wasn't quite what I expected it to be.

The first rumor had heard about the book was that Artemis gets thrown in a cell with Opal Koboi. But I guess that's next book. And the Complex disease itself. It sounded like it would mentally split Artemis into two: One who is fiendishly clever but b-b-b-bad to the bone, selfish and one who is extremely nice and considerate of others, but stupid. I wasn't expecting an "Orion, the young romantic who listened to Butler" and Artemis "I need five to stay alive"

Atlantis
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Post by Atlantis » Tue 31st Aug 2010

Lord Voldemort wrote:Eh... didn't like the book too much. As usual we got the funny moments but it was just one thing after another, not enough spacing like with the other books. Also, the ending was a bit unsatisfying.
I agree, i had been waiting for it for 2 months, but when i read it i was kind of disapointed. it could of been way longer.
Holly. In the name of all the gods, stop shooting energy into all-energy beings. Just how stupid are you?--Foaly

"Welcome to Section Eight Headquarters,"--Vinyaya

captain-trouble
Dwarf Miner

Post by captain-trouble » Wed 1st Sep 2010

Atlantis wrote:
Lord Voldemort wrote:Eh... didn't like the book too much. As usual we got the funny moments but it was just one thing after another, not enough spacing like with the other books. Also, the ending was a bit unsatisfying.
I agree, i had been waiting for it for 2 months, but when i read it i was kind of disapointed. it could of been way longer.
it was initially. I watched an interview with Colfer, and he said that he put maybe a fifth (or third, I forget) of what he actually wrote into the book. I wish he wouldve put all of it in though.
I am a signature :D

artymon

Post by artymon » Thu 2nd Sep 2010

Oh yeah, and another thing:

A rumor I had heard was that something about Artemis and Holly's birthdates is revealed, but Eoin didn't mention anything about that. In truth, I did hear this from 85% accurate Wikipedia so it's likely this could be a load of claptrap.

Though the rumor with Artemis turning to is old tricks and ending up in a cell with Koboi wasn't a rumor; zat came from the gift horse's mouth. (Or would that just be "horse's mouth"?)

cookieninja
LEP Commander

Post by cookieninja » Sun 5th Sep 2010

artymon wrote: Also, also, Artemis, I am so bloody sick of your empty promises! For years now you've pledged that "if [you] survive this [you]'ll start exercising." But nooo here you are, relying on a Power suit (probably borrowed from Samus) to be your muscles as you attack a giant squid. And now you're supposedly promising to get interested in girls? You my friend are bad at keeping your word!
(Artemis can fit into a girls power suit? Ohhhmyyy, he really does need to exercise. Or else Samus is going to have to come get it back, but I'm sure Artemis would like to see Zero-Suit Samus, due to his "puberty".) Unrelated note!
So, I came to my conclusion. I am dissapointed with that book. There was so much hype for so long, and the book was kind of like, and extra adventure. It doesn't go with everything else. And It was way to bloody short. The only thing I liked about it was Orion ;)
And artymon, I agree with every single one of your points.
The best comedy around. Monty Python. Please, don't hesitate to look them up.
++++++++++
Number One Rule of the World wrote:Something goes wrong? Blame Pete Wentz.
Wentz not available? Blame Gabe Saporta.

Cookie Shamelessly Promotes Her Writing in Her Signature

Duck With No Name
LEP Commander

Post by Duck With No Name » Tue 7th Sep 2010

Just to let you guys know- I took a look on artemisfowl.com and there are two songs about Arty there! :D One of them is to do with the Atlantis complex too and there's also a computer animated video where you can see Artemis and he looks real! I was a bit disappointed by him though... but the songs are great! :D I prefer the TAC song to the Artemis Fowl song, but they're both worth listening to! :D

artymon

Post by artymon » Wed 8th Sep 2010

Ha, I listened to the second one, "Call me Artemis Fowl" I started to listen to the first but got distracted or something....

@Cookieninja, I bet he would, ha.

Silvermist
Dwarf Thief

Post by Silvermist » Mon 15th Nov 2010

wait are you guys talking about the song?? I HATE THEM WITH A FIREY PASSION!!! I cant believe that disney is trying to take over artemis fowl!! COLFER FIGHT FOR US!! first non-shiny books (Americans and anyone else you know you miss them. dude, the drawing is horrible!!) an Artemis fowl with NO irish accent and not as evil looking.. (He's not even hot!! but percy was hot even though he was 12!! what's wrong with you disney you could have at least made him hot!!) And if anyone here is related to the guy I'm soo sorry...
Anyway the songs have good music but the minute me and my friends heard it we almost barfed...
Joshua 1:9
Hello people of the internet! You may call me Baylee if you wish, I'm a small town girl living in a lonely world, I do not take trains anywhere since new orleans terrain does not allow that (it will get swallowed up by the marsh land or get flooded, like my car did D:<

Meet my Husband <3
Ok I think I'm done here...

E.N.HA
Gnome

Post by E.N.HA » Mon 3rd Jan 2011

Artymon, you are my hero on this thread. I completely concur with what you said. Many things in TAC annoyed me, but what was shocking and painful was Vinyaya's death and the TOTAL LACK OF GRIEF SHOWN. I mean, Holly loses not only Julius Root but also Vinyaya in explosions and she, what, bats an eyelid?! Shouldn't there at least be some memory trauma associated with this? And Vinyaya is too valuable to the AF world to be killed off. Something I liked A LOT, however, was the return of Juliet. About time. But where has Minerva gone? Has Colfer left her to the mercy of hateful fangirls? :D He really needs to clean up on that.
The book lacked meat, so to speak; it felt stereotypical and hurried. I wish Colfer could get back to the old AF style. If he did that I would show up on his doorstep with flowers, a medal, and a full fan procession. :D
I have nothing to declare but my genius. -Oscar Wilde
Which, being a genius, I shall not declare. I shall instead declare my paranoia.

In large friendly letters: DON'T PANIC. -Hitchhiker's Guide