The Official Book 7 (The Atlantis Complex) Thread!

Anything about the Fowl books.
omletz94
Mud-Man

Re: The Official Book 7 (The Atlantis Complex) Thread!

Post by omletz94 » Wed 2nd Feb 2011

I have read this book over and oer again many times, but i still love it! Eoin Colfer is such an amazing author, but sadly i hear that he will be ending the series on the 8th book :( Hopefully this is only a rumor because i think i speak for all of us when i say that i never want this series to end.

P.S. THIS WAS MY FIRST POST!!! YAY :razz:
I am a proud poster on the count to 20k thread.

_i_dont_get_it
LEPrecon Officer

Post by _i_dont_get_it » Sun 27th Mar 2011

:(
All I have to say is that Artemis is not the boy genius that I once knew. Yeah, yeah. I know. Character development and whatnot. But it just seems to me that Colfer is not into writing about Artemis and his adventures like he used to be.
E.N. HA, thank you for saying precisely what I was so shocked at during the book. I don't understand WHY Colfer killed Vinyaya off so quickly. This book held the potential of developing her character much more. And Holly's coldness really put me off. She wasn't ever like this. She always put more heart into things, and something such as this should have elicited a stronger response from her. I felt like she was just sleepwalking through her entire role in this book.
It was an odd duck when compared to the other books. I don't know if I feel content that Colfer broke the mold a bit with it, or upset that he wrote differences that felt to alien to the series. Both, I suppose. Though things that are different don't always work...
The volatile surrogate for the salubrious ambit of seizing any just and warranted seclusion from even the nighest beau monde.

LEPreconGirl
Dwarf Thief

Post by LEPreconGirl » Thu 14th Jul 2011

My Colfer, you left such a torn girl!
Part of me is screaming in excitement at the Holly/Trouble, more Juliet, Orion and Foaly actually being in the field, but only a very small part.

Most of me is sobbing in a corner, vowing to never read another AF book. :cry: Why?
Vinyaya died so abruptly... I mean come on, a probe crashes, and trying to save people from a FIRE she gets a 'fatal injury to her nervous system'? Come on! Holly barely batted an eyelid, where she sobbed upon Julius's death. But kill Vinyaya and nobody bloody cares?

Artemis. when he's not being taken over by Orion, who I loved by the way, he's all wussy and barely able to think. Yeah, the complex, puberty, I know. But still, Arty wasn't himself in the book.

Trouble. I first met him and rolled my eyes slightly, but then, as the books wore on, he became this strong guy who I really admired for managing to be an awesome friend to Holly and remain a not-total-jerk while leading Retrevial One then raising to the rank of commander. But all of a sudden he hates Artemis, barely talks to Holly without yelling, and is an all around a**.

No Opal. Mr. Colfer, you left us with this huge villian half on the loose, and then she proceeds to completely ignore and fail to take advantage of the chaos caused by Turnball, left barely mentioned.

Wait, I thought Holly quit. How'd she wind up back in her origional rank/position so quickly? (correct me if i'm wrong)

So, there's my rant about the book. Sorry to bug anyone.
Not all those who wander are lost...

Team Holly!

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Fri 12th Aug 2011

holly was already in the LEP i #6, and she already did all the training and missions and stuff

heart_of_gold
LEP Recruit

Post by heart_of_gold » Sat 10th Sep 2011

I vant to see da covah. ;;

No honor, no glory, only blisters in unfortunate places~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDXTzvIB ... re=related
The best thing ever. <33333

[size=150]
ImageImageImage[url=http://dragcave.net/view/k7V3e]
Coudja please click on my egg{s}?

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Mon 20th Feb 2012

LEPreconGirl wrote: Most of me is sobbing in a corner, vowing to never read another AF book. :cry: Why?
Vinyaya died so abruptly... I mean come on, a probe crashes, and trying to save people from a FIRE she gets a 'fatal injury to her nervous system'? Come on! Holly barely batted an eyelid, where she sobbed upon Julius's death. But kill Vinyaya and nobody bloody cares?
I felt the same way, why wouldn't she show her emotions when Vinyaya died, but she did with Root? Does she secretly like him? Or did Vinyaya say something about Holly behind her back and Holly not care about her if shedied? It makes no scene at all. -_-
Mein vater, ich liebe dich.

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Fri 13th Jul 2012

I liked how Orion overcame Turnball, and how Artemis wouldn't have done that.

Turnball was a good villan, but all the hero's had to do to stop him was survive until the end. Also, Why did Turnball put explosives in his ship?

Other then that it was a good book.
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Sat 14th Jul 2012

Hm. About the explosives, I have two theories. Firstly, he was planning to kill someone by exploding them, and therefore had the explosives handy. Secondly, remember how the tube connecting the two ships was full of practically pure oxygen (I think)? It's possible that some of that got into his ship and the amorphobots somehow set it off. But I'll have to re-read it. :razz:
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

bentj96
LEP Recruit

Post by bentj96 » Mon 16th Jul 2012

I've noticed one thing that truly annoys me about Atlantis Complex... I've read TLG and (this is a pretty bad spoiler)

Atlantis Complex ends up meaning nothing! Orion's feelings towards Holly are never showed openly.

However, (another spoiler)

Orion's heroic side shows up in TLG, just not in the form of Orion

For those who didn't want to read those spoilers.

I found Vinyaya's death completely unnecessary. It would have been so much simpler if she was knocked unconscious and got buried by snow. Anybody agree with me?

-Dark Star
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Mon 16th Jul 2012

^I agree the death was unnecessary. Mr. Colfer could have even found a way to add Vinyaya into TLG since she is older, plus she could have helped Holly tell the story part. And fly the plane. Or help Foaly. ^_^ Killing Vinyaya was a waste of time and paper for the book.
Mein vater, ich liebe dich.

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Mon 16th Jul 2012

^I would definatly agree, Vinyaya could've been hurt, and still in the hospital during TLG, then helped at the end with the clone.
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

Foxriver Fowl
Dwarf Miner
Location: Were ever teh kitty wants to go and I will be there

Post by Foxriver Fowl » Wed 8th Aug 2012

Just read :-)