how did you react when... [spoilers]

Anything about the Fowl books.
holly s
Troll
Location: I would tell you, but then I'd have another stalker.

how did you react when... [spoilers]

Post by holly s » Thu 8th May 2008

You may not want to read this if you haven't read TLC. How did you react when you read that Holly had died in TLC?

I threw the book at the wall and didn't pick it up for at least an hour, got really mad, and cried a bit.

You?
Last edited by BlackOpal on Thu 8th May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited the title to make it less of a spoiler
I like books
Go figure.
I like books.
Yes, yes, we know!
I like books!
We get the picture.
I LIKE BOOKS!!!!
*sighs*
Image[br]Click here to feed me a Star Fruit![br]Get your own at Flyffables!
Proud member of the Loveless Fangirls.

Target Aquired
LEP Recruit

Re: how did you react when... [spoilers]

Post by Target Aquired » Fri 9th May 2008

I just kind of stared in disbelief for a bit, then re-read the section again to make sure I was understanding right.

Then afterwards, I read like a madwoman in hopes that something miraculous would happen... which it did! Artemis Fowl saves the day!

TLC was my favorite book of the series. It was just so epic.

...is in quasi-hibernation for a bit...
*--
" just across the wide-open green space, is it?"
YES, i am a devoted A/M shipper.
graphics by T A R G E T _ A Q U I R E D ~*
for my fanfiction "f e r m a t a ," go here or here.

Pampered.Pixie
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Pampered.Pixie » Fri 9th May 2008

I closed my book and stopped reading! I cried a bit too! I just couldn't believe it. I kind of thought Artemis would some how save her though because he wouldn't just let her die the way she did. TLC was awesome!

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Meova » Fri 9th May 2008

Well... I kinda figured that Artemis would save her. I mean, I'm pretty sure he would've done something if he had known she couldn't have been saved, in stead, he just kept on counting really coolly. But I cried a bit too, yes.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

holly s
Troll

Post by holly s » Fri 9th May 2008

:) I thought he was turning evil again and that's why he didn't save her. But, of course, I was wrong. :D
I like books
Go figure.
I like books.
Yes, yes, we know!
I like books!
We get the picture.
I LIKE BOOKS!!!!
*sighs*

MaeveCrowArtemis1
Council Member

Post by MaeveCrowArtemis1 » Wed 14th May 2008

I was sure Artemis is going to save her somehow!I mean,that's Artemis!He always solves the problem!Even though Colfer killed Stefan,which was totally unbelievable for me I believe he won't do anything shocking especially after Root's death!
Image Image
Blue is the colour,football is the game
we are all together and winning is our aim
so cheer us on through the sun and rain
cause Chelsea,Chelsea is our name

nutrino
Dwarf Thief

Post by nutrino » Thu 15th May 2008

holly s wrote:You may not want to read this if you haven't read TLC. How did you react when you read that Holly had died in TLC?

I threw the book at the wall and didn't pick it up for at least an hour, got really mad, and cried a bit.

You?

O.K. No offence here but thats...kind...of...scary.

Seriously people here seem to take book twists a bit too seriously. They're just books! Calm down!
Hello again.

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 15th May 2008

If one cannot get absorbed in books, one is not a true reader.
Nutrino- this is not a thread about how people take books. It is a thread about Holly dieing. You can say that you didn't react at all because they are just books and you don't like them that much and you don't care about the characters.
Saying "no offense" doesn't make an insult go away.
If I said: "You're dumb. No offense", I'm pretty sure you'd take offense.

Anyways: Holly.

I almost cried.
If I cried while reading books, that would've done it.
I didn't think that Eoin was going to have Artemis save Holly. He didn't have Holly save Root.
I was in the car and I just looked up, terrified, and had to wait a couple seconds before I moved on.
And then when Artemis did save her I really just wanted to give him a huge hug.
Artemis was just thinking so rationally, I thought that it was his cool, collected side taking over.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Fri 16th May 2008

I didn't really know how to react.
I didn't think there would be a way to save her, but I didn't want to believe she was really dead.
It seemed wrong for her to die, and that would've meant that Arty could never go home if she did. So I might have suspected a catch.
I didn't particularly like how she died, though. I thought it should seem more heroic than that, almost.
And I didn't think it was all that likely that Arty would've been able to come up with something that quickly, even if he is a genius. With who he's become, I expected his emotional side to come out, not his logical side. I guess that's why there's fanfiction.
That was a lot of 'I didn't's' in one post.
Just to add to the list...I didn't cry. But as BlackOpal has said, if I cried during books, I would have cried then, I'm sure.
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

holly s
Troll

Post by holly s » Fri 16th May 2008

nutrino wrote:
holly s wrote:You may not want to read this if you haven't read TLC. How did you react when you read that Holly had died in TLC?

You?

O.K. No offence here but thats...kind...of...scary.

Seriously people here seem to take book twists a bit too seriously. They're just books! Calm down!

I wouldn't really love books as much if I didn't take books seriously. I love getting lost in the different worlds in books. So no offence really taken, I already get people saying stuff like that to me a lot at school. In fact, I take it as a compliment. I don't mind people mocking me because I read and get involved with books.

They aren't just books. They're stories, feelings, someone's view on life, poetry art. Some people cry when they see great artwork. Some people cry when they read great books. It's the same. Books can change lives. I mean, just look at the Holy Bible. That book changed culture.

Anyhow, this is getting off of topic.
I like books
Go figure.
I like books.
Yes, yes, we know!
I like books!
We get the picture.
I LIKE BOOKS!!!!
*sighs*

Kagoma_Kage
LEP Recruit

Post by Kagoma_Kage » Sun 18th May 2008

When Holly died it just didn't seem....real. I just re-read it quickly then read the next few pages as fast as I could. But I agree, it was so un-heroic, it would've been awful for her to die that way.

Root also didn't really affect me, I was more absorbed in how Holly would react.I never really gave Root much thought before, but as the books have gone on I've started really missing him.

I was...shocked whenSupernaturalist Stefen died, but because I wasn't really attached to him, it didn't really affect me I was more affected by the fear Eoin would become a habitual character killer.

Airman is really the only one that's gotten too me badly, let me explain why in the shortest way I can:
Connor gives in to his evil, and actually enjoys causing pain.
That scared me. It still scares me. That's not what Eoin is about, that's not right.
I could care less about Connor but I don't want Artemis to go like that. :cry: To me that's the true meaning of "character death".
Last edited by MMK on Sun 18th May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoiler tag

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 18th May 2008

I think, since there are spoilers in the topic title for TLC, we shouldn't need them within our posts. You should still put a warning over the ending to The Supernaturalist, though.

I don't remember having a reaction... I was just reading. My overall delight in reading a new AF book overshadowed what was going on. It wouldn't have, though, if I actually believed Holly was dead... but when Artemis didn't show emotion, I knew he had a plan. What's time travel for if not resurrecting the dead?

MaeveCrowArtemis1
Council Member

Post by MaeveCrowArtemis1 » Sun 18th May 2008

When Root died I was prepared because I heard on FG he will die.When I heard that I was really shocked and sad but when I read it there was no big reaction(maybe because I got TOD and TLC ages after you guys!>>).When Holly died I believed Arty will save her!
Image Image
Blue is the colour,football is the game
we are all together and winning is our aim
so cheer us on through the sun and rain
cause Chelsea,Chelsea is our name

Target Aquired
LEP Recruit

Post by Target Aquired » Mon 19th May 2008

Kagoma_Kage wrote:When Holly died it just didn't seem....real. I just re-read it quickly then read the next few pages as fast as I could. But I agree, it was so un-heroic, it would've been awful for her to die that way.

Root also didn't really affect me, I was more absorbed in how Holly would react.I never really gave Root much thought before, but as the books have gone on I've started really missing him.

I was...shocked whenSupernaturalist Stefen died, but because I wasn't really attached to him, it didn't really affect me I was more affected by the fear Eoin would become a habitual character killer.

Airman is really the only one that's gotten too me badly, let me explain why in the shortest way I can:
Connor gives in to his evil, and actually enjoys causing pain.
That scared me. It still scares me. That's not what Eoin is about, that's not right.
I could care less about Connor but I don't want Artemis to go like that. :cry: To me that's the true meaning of "character death".

I agree that Connor was slightly scary in that book-- how he almost gave up Broekhart (I really love that name!) for Finn. It's worse seeing someone die morally than it is physically.

I still miss Root a lot. Before he died, I didn't really "love" his character-- he was just there. And then when he died-- man, I felt a hole. That's the mark of an awesome author, actually missing characters that have died, even in the book after the death happens (Since Root died in the Opal Deception, and I missed him still in the Lost Colony). I wish that he would come back, but I do agree that it would be really out of character for Colfer.

That's one of the reasons I think it's so hard to be an author-- I can't bear to kill any of my characters. Lame, I know, but it feels like you've really lost a loved one. Sigh.

...is in quasi-hibernation for a bit...
*--
" just across the wide-open green space, is it?"
YES, i am a devoted A/M shipper.
graphics by T A R G E T _ A Q U I R E D ~*
for my fanfiction "f e r m a t a ," go here or here.

I is an elf
Gnome

Post by I is an elf » Mon 19th May 2008

When I found out that Holly died I was very, extremely upset. It always happens that when I like a character, like two pages later he/she/it dies... :tantrum: . It is sooooooo unfair.. :(.. But I is happy cause she is alive (that usually doesn't happen - usually they stay dead... o wells ^_^)
Random Fowl Fan #12
Member hunter of the Supernatural club *we have Double barrels!* (sam and Dean Winchester)
I am a dreamer
A member of C.I.A. - The Chosen One. All Hail Cyborgs, The True Masters Of The World!
^_^