"Fake" sexualities

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!

"Fake" sexualities

Postby lackingimagination » Fri 25th Jan 2013

recently on a different site, i witnessed a huge fight/debate. it started when somebody said that "demisexuality and asexuality aren't real and the people who claim them just have idiotic fears of intimacy", as i directly quote. obviously some individuals took offense at that, and some others started to come to the OP's defense, and it basically turned into a giant 15-way brawl that deteriorated into a petty name-calling and snarking contest.
it sparked my interest, though. and i'm using it as a discussion-starter now: do you agree with what the original thread-starter said--that asexuality and demisexuality aren't real? or do you disagree?
opinions?
lackingimagination
Gnome

Re: "Fake" sexualities

Postby Bang Your Drum » Sat 26th Jan 2013

They're real.
Besides if someone doesn't want to be "intimate" it's not idiotic they could have a very good reason besides their sexuality. And being "intimate" being in a close relationship doesn't equal being sexually involved with someone.
Despite how hard it is for some Johnlock fans to understand.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction
Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Postby Battery » Sat 26th Jan 2013

That's what I was going to say, there are other kinds of intimacy (even other kinds of physical intimacy) than sexual. Also, from what I understand, some asexual individuals don't even mind participating in some forms of sex with their partner, though it isn't the same for them and it's pretty much entirely for the other's benefit.
Battery
Ringbearer

Postby artymon I\/ » Thu 2nd Mar 2017

I think the confusion of whether this sexuality or that gender identity is real comes from the individual themselves being perhaps confused on what they are. I mean heck, who knows exactly what they want and will be in life? Which isn't to say the identities aren't real. Just that some...note: some, not all...are unsure of what they really are or want attention or to feel special or something obscure.

Course, everyone has their personal perceptions and sees what they want. I'm reminded of Friedrich Nietzsche, in that he said you have your way, I have mine, and as for the right way, it does not exist.
Nautron respoc lorni virch
artymon I\/
Dwarf Thief

Return to Debate and News