I'm Not New (A Love Letter To FG)

New here? Tell us a little about yourself. Or are you going away for a while? Holidays?

I'm Not New (A Love Letter To FG)

Postby HollyShort9 » Wed 7th Jun 2017

Dear FanGathering,

Hello...
It's me...
(^to the tune of Adele)

I know we’re not supposed to post return threads, but I thought starting a thread would be the only way that most of the people I want to see this would see this, and I thought this sub-forum was the most appropriate place to put it. :D Sending a mass PM wouldn’t work, either. Too many people to talk to!

Wow. I've recently been hit with a strong wave of nostalgia after my first year at university, so here I am. Reading old RPs. Finding old friends. So many things I'd forgotten about. How have I forgotten them?

FanGathering was my refuge and where I made friends for so many formative years of my life. I was nine years old when I joined this website. I didn't really know how to write or how to draw. I didn't know how to debate. You guys taught me so much about all those things, and many more. And about myself.

You were very kind to me when I needed kindness, even though most of the time I was being overdramatic (kids these days, am I right?) You sometimes bopped me over the head when I needed a bop over the head. For all of that, I am eternally grateful.

I have been sitting here for the past maybe three hours, looking through everything. Rediscovering my childhood. I do not use that word lightly. This place was more than half of my childhood when I think back on being a kid. I think of this place, and all of you, with so much kindness and tenderness. I can trace much of myself back here—to you.

I joined this website when I was nine years old. In August, I will be nineteen years old. This December, I will probably be leasing an apartment for the first time. This fall, I will be a sophomore at university.

How did that happen?

I am chasing my dreams, and I hope you all are, too.

I remember your screen names. I remember most of your life stories, even if the details are foggy. I remember finding people with the same interests as me for the first time in my life. I still consider myself one of The Loveless Fangirls. I remember opening FG every day when I was little with a beam on my face, ready to see what P5YCHIC and /b/ were up to, to talk to Duck With No Name and Shadow Light, to post in COTFR, to talk to xox Miss Livia xox and Kierisa12. Julissa Holly Fowl and Alanna. Artemis Fowl., Artificial Asian, FowlStar, artymon. A Passing Bookworm. Dishwasher. Cabaline, Carino, Meova, Darvit, BlackOpal, MichaelM—basically every member that was older than me was someone I aspired to grow up to be like (author's note: that was most of you.)

That list is so short compared to the exhaustive list of people that I really loved. If you were here at the same time as me, no matter how much we talked or if your name was specifically listed above, you had an impact on me.

I love you all. PM me if you want to add me on Facebook or just say hi or whatever. I would really love to keep in touch with anyone who wants to keep in touch with me. (And even if you see this five years from today, please still PM me. I will probably see it, if not right away.)

Thank you, every single person reading this, for the way you have touched my life. You have no idea how far you reached.

I don’t know if anyone will see this. But I had to tell you anyway.

:awesome:
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: I'm Not New (A Love Letter To FG)

Postby FowlStar » Thu 21st Sep 2017

I will always love you.
i write because you exist.
FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Re: I'm Not New (A Love Letter To FG)

Postby HollyShort9 » Fri 6th Oct 2017

FowlStar wrote:I will always love you.

I will always love you, too.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.
HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Return to Welcome to Recon